PDA

View Full Version : Alaska - 2015

Mestral
March 18th, 2015, 3:55 AM
Hope this post finds FieryPrincess enjoying the Northern Lights and still having electric power.
(Actually, people in Two-Harbors Minnesota should have gotten a light show, as well
Despite what the Miami Sun says, I doubt anyone in the South will see the lights, unless they are on a mountain peak.)
But people all across Alaska and Canada are vulnerable to power blackouts.

Hope those on the Ididerod aren't completely relying on GPS.

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/1357765

MIAMI: A pair of solar eruptions over the weekend have unleashed a severe geomagnetic storm that could disrupt power and communications Tuesday on Earth, US officials said.
The storm could grow into a G4 on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration scale of one to five, with five being the worst.
"Possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems may mistakenly trip out key assets from the power grid," NOAA said in a space weather alert describing the storm.
High frequency radio may be sporadic or blacked out for hours, and satellite navigation systems may be "degraded or inoperable for hours," the federal agency added.
US residents as far south as Alabama and northern California could be able to see the resulting aurora — known as the Northern Lights — from the magnetic storm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2991546/Biggest-solar-flare-year-causes-radio-blackouts-Earth-geomagnetic-storm-predicted-tomorrow.html

The first ‘significant’ solar flare of the year has been spotted by a Nasa observatory.
The flare peaked at 12.22pm EDT (4.22pm GMT) yesterday and was watched by the orbiting Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO).
This flare was the most powerful of the year so far, and is predicted to cause a geomagnetic storm on Earth tomorrow following blackouts today.

Ludwig
March 18th, 2015, 8:29 AM
It would seem that those who predict doom and gloom from our sun are about as accurate as our weather prognosticators. There have been NO reports of power outages or GPS disruptions.

Mestral
March 18th, 2015, 8:44 AM
Systems may be a bit more robust than in the past, since this has been in the [technical] news for the past 35 years.

It ain't over though. In '89, the blackout in Quebec occurred almost 24 hours after the first of the Northern Lights.

The echoes of this storm will be felt for a couple days, and in various places, as the Earth and Sun continue rotation.

Dagobert II
March 18th, 2015, 9:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjqylYQXpg

Mestral
March 18th, 2015, 5:33 PM
Reports of effects have been sporadic.
FieryPrincess has been off line since 3:19pm (that would be morning for her) yesterday.

It may all be coincidence at this point.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/a-geomagnetic-storm-may-be-toying-with-your-gps-today/

"No, Siri. I'm not in Port Allen right now. I'm in Baton Rouge." That's what I told my phone today, but I may not have been alone. A few people may have talked to their phones today regarding their GPS location. Siri may have thought I was in Port Allen today because her data source, GPS satellites, are enjoying the St. Patrick's Day festivities in the thermosphere a little too much. No, the thermosphere isn't some hot new pub downtown, but the second-most outer layer of Earth's atmosphere where many orbiting satellites can be found. The real reason a few radio and GPS signals could act a little squirrelly today is in response to a strong solar storm currently affecting the planet.

We are observing a few changes in our daily lives today as a result of the strong geomagnetic storm affecting the Earth. One symptom of the storm, a positive one, is that the Aurora Borealis, or "Northern Lights" are supercharged and our neighbors to the north as far south as Tennessee may be seeing green in their sky this St. Patrick's Day. We're just too far south to enjoy them here in Louisiana. A negative observation is that your GPS may have been acting a little funky today. While it knows your general whereabouts, it may not have been able to give you a precise location. For example, as I'm sitting at the WBRZ Studios writing this article, I took a snapshot of my phones GPS service. It thinks I'm across the river, and it still isn't 100% certain about that! At least I'm sitting in the blue "you-could-be-anywhere-in-here" circle, but that's as precise as it would get. It wouldn't improve. Luckily, we won't see many more disruptions of our daily lives other than this and luckily no damage has been reported thus far as a result of the storm.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center as ranked this geomagnetic solar storm as a "G4," or "severe" on the 1-to-5 Geomagnetic Storm Space Weather scale. This caught forecasters off guard because they were expecting only a "G1" on the scale as well as a later arrival. Geomagnetic storms are sometimes strong enough to endanger astronauts or stress power grids here on Earth. While this storm is forecast to continue for a few more hours, it isn't expected to put anyone in danger.

Ludwig
March 18th, 2015, 7:55 PM
I saw a double rainbow while driving to Georgetown this evening. Probably caused by that solar flare.

Mestral
March 19th, 2015, 7:11 AM
Those are pretty.

Mestral
March 19th, 2015, 7:46 AM
Thus far, only anecdotal reports of any side effects from the solar flare,
with the exception of "long haul" radio networks and some other specialized
radio and radar systems (which are always disrupted by solar flares).

Fiery Princess has been on the board, but hasn't discovered this thread,
so we can rest assured she is all right.

FieryPrincess
March 22nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
Oh dear Lord!

I was in Texas at a book release party for the book I recommended elsewhere on the site... my husband got some amazing shots of the lights and as far as I know we didn't even flicker the power here.

Mestral
March 22nd, 2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I know about the book release, although I had the wrong dates.

Glad to know the grid in Alaska isn't too vulnerable. We will probably get a couple more
of these in the next year or so. Texas grid is about the safest one in the US since it is smaller
and further south than either the eastern or western grid.

Grammar Rules
March 22nd, 2015, 1:05 PM
Apocalypse averted. Again.

Mestral
March 22nd, 2015, 1:24 PM
There is never a fire.
Until there is one.

Ludwig
March 22nd, 2015, 1:44 PM
There is never a fire.
Until there is one.
Yes, like the rapture. Like a stopped clock, it is correct twice a day. Just hang in there, you'll get it right one day.

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2015, 6:39 PM
Kinda like this - remember a few years ago some quack preacher was predicting the end of the world. When it didn't happen, he said he miscalculated and gave his new date. When that didn't happen he killed himself. :))

http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5445&stc=1

Mestral
March 22nd, 2015, 7:17 PM
When that didn't happen he killed himself. Thanks for the update.
I remember all of that, except for him doing us that favor at the end.

This is off topic, but,
Never guess God's timetable for the Church. He never gave us one.
Unlike Israel, where He always specified how long they should expect things to last.
(Of course, this is aggravating to those who can't tell the Old Testament from the New)

sojourner truth
March 22nd, 2015, 9:38 PM
Well, the bible tells us that no man will know the day. And any "prophet" who says he does, is already a liar. Before the fact.

And most of us know what is in store for those type of prophets.

kantwin
March 22nd, 2015, 9:54 PM
Kinda like this - remember a few years ago some quack preacher was predicting the end of the world. When it didn't happen, he said he miscalculated and gave his new date. When that didn't happen he killed himself. :))
Those guys that predict that need to chill. It's not like it's the end of the world . . .LOL

Mestral
March 23rd, 2015, 2:50 AM
It was the end of the world for that guy, since he killed himself.

Grammar Rules
March 23rd, 2015, 6:53 AM
I thought the demented old kook just died of heartbreak. Wasn't he in his 80s?

But Dave, that's one of the best graphics ever. LMAO.

CenTexDave
March 23rd, 2015, 7:41 AM
If I remember that graphic was courtesy of the NBC station in Atlanta.

Ludwig
March 23rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
Just wondering about that graphic. Why did they display Charlie Manson's picture? :))

sojourner truth
March 23rd, 2015, 10:13 AM
But seriously folks, speaking of Alaska, the Smithsonian channel had a pretty neat "Aerial America" spot on last night about Alaska, its history, and what it looks like today. They even showed Sarah Palins spread... and it is a spread.

There were some great shots of the Iditarod, and the dogs and sleds making their way down one of the 2 routes.

The interesting note on Palins place was that an investigative reporter bought the house next to hers so he could spy on her and the family. Palin put up a 14 foot high fence so he didn't get his wish. And then, FOX bought her the place on the other side and built her her own private studio, which has been turned in to a huge living quarters. Very nice. Private plane parked on the lake in the back of the house.

FieryPrincess
March 23rd, 2015, 2:53 PM
Private planes (even in garages on property) are not all that unusual here. 1 in 6 Alaskans have a pilot’s license.

Mestral
March 24th, 2015, 6:32 AM
Private planes (even in garages on property) are not all that unusual here. 1 in 6 Alaskans have a pilot’s license.
You mean traveling all over Alaska by way of a typical passenger car in May isn't a good idea?
:)

FieryPrincess
March 24th, 2015, 3:10 PM
There’s two seasons in Alaska: Winter and Construction

sojourner truth
March 24th, 2015, 8:15 PM
I remember my dad telling me of going down the Alcan highway in his motor home with his Bronco in tow behind. By the time he made his first stop, the Bronco had a broken front suspension, and more dents and craters than the moon.

I hear the roads can be worse when the permafrost thaws.

FieryPrincess
March 25th, 2015, 1:44 AM
My windshield was shot and ruined around the Fort Nelson area on the way up. It picked up some further damage on the Dalton highway on the way to the Arctic Circle. We call that "Alaska Window Art." I'll put off changing it as long as I can. Windshields are always a mess here.

IronErnin
March 25th, 2015, 3:31 AM
At least they are made from safety glass. On Okinawa, there wasn't any allowed in any application.

FieryPrincess
March 25th, 2015, 3:01 PM
My husband and another solider were in the big truck hauling equipment from Anchorage to FAirbanks (or vice versa) and a rock came through so hard that it CAME THROUGH the windshield.

They still had to finish the trip before they could turn it in for repairs, though.

mac
March 25th, 2015, 3:05 PM
My husband and another solider were in the big truck hauling equipment from Anchorage to FAirbanks (or vice versa) and a rock came through so hard that it CAME THROUGH the windshield.

They still had to finish the trip before they could turn it in for repairs, though.

assuming that the truck was a regular ole deuce and a half or a 5 ton.....it don't take much to go through the wind shield...mac

IronErnin
March 25th, 2015, 4:59 PM
I read an article in Soldiers or Airman magazine about how the Guard or Reserve use old wore out 5 ton trucks up there in Alaska. They turn them into switch engines in the rail yards, up there.

sojourner truth
March 25th, 2015, 5:30 PM
One of the most dependable vehicles ever bought by the army... As averse to the Gamma goat and 3/4 ton truck.

mac
March 25th, 2015, 6:23 PM
I read an article in Soldiers or Airman magazine about how the Guard or Reserve use old wore out 5 ton trucks up there in Alaska. They turn them into switch engines in the rail yards, up there.

they must sell a bunch of 'em too. you wouldn't hardly believe how many surplus 5 tons and 2 and a halfs are up there in Alaska, both in the bush and on the roads......mac

kantwin
March 25th, 2015, 6:27 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a M151.
The Lemon Lot here at Rucker had a twice and a half - I think they wanted 13k for it. It had tags and a title.

mac
March 25th, 2015, 6:38 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a M151.
The Lemon Lot here at Rucker had a twice and a half - I think they wanted 13k for it. It had tags and a title.

I prob'ly wouldn't want a 2 1/2 because of that dammed trannie but, i'd also like to have one of the 151s....or even the old '38s....mac

kantwin
March 25th, 2015, 6:43 PM
I prob'ly wouldn't want a 2 1/2 because of that dammed trannie but, i'd also like to have one of the 151s....or even the old '38s....mac
The Aviation Museum here at Ft Rucker has a Korean War M*A*S*H mockup with a 38 as a litter jeep.

mac
March 25th, 2015, 6:51 PM
The Aviation Museum here at Ft Rucker has a Korean War M*A*S*H mockup with a 38 as a litter jeep.

is it a stretched 38 or regular one. some 38s that made it to the ROK were "stretched....mac

kantwin
March 25th, 2015, 7:06 PM
is it a stretched 38 or regular one. some 38s that made it to the ROK were "stretched....mac
I don't recall. The museum web page (http://www.armyaviationmuseum.org/index.php/museum/exhibits) shows the Sioux helicopter, and some mannequins heading down the hill with a litter, but doesn't show the jeep.

sojourner truth
March 25th, 2015, 8:01 PM
Wish I had a dollar for every mile I rode in a 5 ton or 2 1/2 ton... Many a cold mile. Even in the front seat.

First job I ever had in the army was in AIT driving a 5 ton Howitzer Hauler. I loved it. While everyone else was out freezing their butts off shooting the guns, I was sitting in the cab keeping warm.

Mestral
March 27th, 2015, 2:34 PM
Oh dear Lord!

I was in Texas at a book release party for the book I recommended elsewhere on the site... my husband got some amazing shots of the lights and as far as I know we didn't even flicker the power here.

You should get another chance to see The Lights. Tomorrow night, and the next, if I read the forecast correctly.

FieryPrincess
March 27th, 2015, 2:48 PM
DEpends on if I am awake. I have my research project for my master’s degree starting to have deadlines looming large. I also have been bouncing from school board meeting to borough assembly meeting to testify about our budget issues. On top of it all, there are those pesky normal time consumers like teaching, parenting, sleeping. I’ve skipped a lot of eating and sleeping this week.

But I was also able to apply for an additional job.

kantwin
April 25th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Finally made it back to the museum yesterday Not a stretched one.

FieryPrincess
July 9th, 2015, 1:36 AM
So here's one of my favorite bits about living in Alaska. (when it isn't all one fire!)

A friend here has three children. I kept them this afternoon and they played with m own two. Then we all had a comfort dinner together and watched a superhero movie. THEN we went for a meander to pick wild strawberries for them to take home and put into pancakes later. We've picked quite a few wild strawberries. They are tiny (pea sized, maybe), but insanely packed with this amazing flavor!* While we were out meandering. I spotted LOTS of wild raspberry bushes complete with wild raspberries. I think we can obtain enough of those berries to make jams and jellies.

And the fireweed (pink flower in the picture) is blooming wonderfull this year and IT makes great teas and jellies.

And the blueberries will be out in August.

I *love* that it is possible to hear the rhythms of the land here. If one tried hard enough, one could make a life out of it.

Even cotton falls from the trees on a yearly basis.

http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5638&stc=1

FieryPrincess
July 9th, 2015, 1:37 AM
DEpends on if I am awake. I have my research project for my master’s degree starting to have deadlines looming large. I also have been bouncing from school board meeting to borough assembly meeting to testify about our budget issues. On top of it all, there are those pesky normal time consumers like teaching, parenting, sleeping. I’ve skipped a lot of eating and sleeping this week.

But I was also able to apply for an additional job.

Oh - and I got the job. One night a week during the school year for a few hours at a time = $7000/year. :) That's paying for that new degree in a couple of years!

FieryPrincess
July 9th, 2015, 1:43 AM
And while I am at it, I am taking a class on drums so I can look at joining the local Scottish Bagpipe band. Now that my ankle is repaired and I can walk without pain, I am walking, biking, and just motoring all OVER the place simply because I can! (on the days when the smoke levels are not in the hazardous range. It's been so bad that "unhealthy" air seems like nothing compared to how bad the hazardous stuff was... picture attached from Tuesday).

http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5639&stc=1http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5640&stc=1

These pictures were taken on a bridge. You cannot even see the half-block to the stoplight.

fchafey
July 9th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Except for the trees and water in teh second picture, one would think that you were in LA....California..

CenTexDave
July 9th, 2015, 11:36 AM
LA?
Oh, Lower Alabama!!!!!!! :)

Mestral
July 9th, 2015, 11:42 AM
LA?
Take the map out of the washing machine before the spin cycle next time.
That would be one twisted map, to put Lower Alabama in California.

Mestral
July 9th, 2015, 11:43 AM
And while I am at it, I am taking a class on drums so I can look at joining the local Scottish Bagpipe band. Now that my ankle is repaired and I can walk without pain, I am walking, biking, and just motoring all OVER the place simply because I can!If there are enough hours of darkness, the Aurora should be showing up again, in a day or two.

kantwin
July 9th, 2015, 1:13 PM
LA?

Easy, killer....
We have the trees.
We have the water.
We don't have the smoke/smog.
Although, sometimes the humidity is thick enough to make your sweat not work. (read a lesson on evaporative cooling if you don't know what I mean)

mac
July 9th, 2015, 2:57 PM
So here's one of my favorite bits about living in Alaska. (when it isn't all one fire!)

A friend here has three children. I kept them this afternoon and they played with m own two. Then we all had a comfort dinner together and watched a superhero movie. THEN we went for a meander to pick wild strawberries for them to take home and put into pancakes later. We've picked quite a few wild strawberries. They are tiny (pea sized, maybe), but insanely packed with this amazing flavor!* While we were out meandering. I spotted LOTS of wild raspberry bushes complete with wild raspberries. I think we can obtain enough of those berries to make jams and jellies.

And the fireweed (pink flower in the picture) is blooming wonderfull this year and IT makes great teas and jellies.

And the blueberries will be out in August.

I *love* that it is possible to hear the rhythms of the land here. If one tried hard enough, one could make a life out of it.

Even cotton falls from the trees on a yearly basis.

http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5638&stc=1

that's a great picture of the fireweed. man oh man, I would almost kill for some fireweed honey tomorrow morning. absolutely the best hone God ever created and only the eskimos get any of it. Life's just not fair....(yeow, I know, white clover and alfalfa are close 2nd and 3rd..... but as some of you know, close only counts in horse shoe and darts......mac

kantwin
July 9th, 2015, 3:38 PM
that's a great picture of the fireweed. man oh man, I would almost kill for some fireweed honey tomorrow morning. absolutely the best hone God ever created and only the eskimos get any of it. Life's just not fair....(yeow, I know, white clover and alfalfa are close 2nd and 3rd..... but as some of you know, close only counts in horse shoe and darts......mac

They sell it online.
I did a Google search for fireweed honey.

But, here is a link, if you wish. (http://alaskawildberryproducts.com/mercantool/mtool.pl?command=productpage_show&product=364&category_ID=33)

FieryPrincess
July 9th, 2015, 3:44 PM
If there are enough hours of darkness, the Aurora should be showing up again, in a day or two.

The earliest to see them is August. We don't have any dark until then.

Thank you mac. I took that photo with my iPhone 4S at a tourist attraction representing an Athabascan village. :) I am sure we have local vendors here willing to ship to you if you are willing to pay shipping.

FieryPrincess
July 28th, 2015, 8:35 PM
So far I've put up 8 jars (1/2 pints) of wild raspberry jam and 20 jars of fireweed jelly.

I found another cache of raspberries today, the blueberries are out and I need to look into what I want (or don't want) to do with the chokecherries, rose hips and high bush cranberries. :) )

And I'll have that quilt definitely finished in time for the fair. I finished the squiggle sewing part of it today. Just need to trim it, bind it, and attach the thing that allows it to show.

Oh, and I go back to work in a couple of weeks. Can't forget that part.

mac
July 28th, 2015, 9:29 PM
So far I've put up 8 jars (1/2 pints) of wild raspberry jam and 20 jars of fireweed jelly.

I found another cache of raspberries today, the blueberries are out and I need to look into what I want (or don't want) to do with the chokecherries, rose hips and high bush cranberries. :) )

And I'll have that quilt definitely finished in time for the fair. I finished the squiggle sewing part of it today. Just need to trim it, bind it, and attach the thing that allows it to show.

oh wow..... you just HAD to mention that fireweed, didn't you? man oh man, that's some real good stuff.....folks down here have no idea how good fireweed honey and jelly is....mac

FieryPrincess
July 28th, 2015, 9:50 PM
And the leaves make great tea. Fireweed is proof that God cares for us after fires too!

Night Owl
July 28th, 2015, 11:36 PM

Watch out for bears. They like berries also.:)

SamBrown
July 29th, 2015, 1:09 AM
We are right now visiting our son and family in Anchorage. Went to the market on Saturday. Splurged on "Fireweed and honey" icecream. So good.

FieryPrincess
July 29th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Fairbanks bears don't like people and stay away from them, unlike the bears in southeast and south central Alaska.

There was one spotted 20-25 miles away from us, so I am not too worried.

I got all my raspberries on post, and there hasn't been a bear sighting on post in forever.

mac
July 29th, 2015, 1:35 PM
Fairbanks bears don't like people and stay away from them, unlike the bears in southeast and south central Alaska.

There was one spotted 20-25 miles away from us, so I am not too worried.

I got all my raspberries on post, and there hasn't been a bear sighting on post in forever.

not only that but Fairbanks is not nearly as good bear hunting country as coastal Alaska is. There's just not even close as much food to find and eat......mac

FieryPrincess
July 29th, 2015, 2:26 PM
Yeah, there's not as much salmon and no halibut, but there's a heck of a lot of Grayling. And moose.

mac
July 29th, 2015, 3:06 PM
Yeah, there's not as much salmon and no halibut, but there's a heck of a lot of Grayling. And moose.

and it seems like every year more caribou make it down to Fairbanks than the year before. They still hadn't figured out why back in '86......used to be tons of ptarmigan there just south of you on the flats.....mac (actually, come to think about it, that area may already be enveloped by Fairbanks. It was growin' pretty fast back then......we used to joke about tanana mosquitoes in that area being big enough to wear snowshoes..,...,.mac

Night Owl
July 29th, 2015, 4:13 PM
And kids.:))

FieryPrincess
August 4th, 2015, 8:06 PM
I was awakened by geese flying south yesterday at 5:15 AM.

Summer's ending here. Welcome to Autumn

Mr. Lucky
August 8th, 2015, 3:31 PM
Do Huckleberries grow in Alaska?

mac
August 8th, 2015, 4:48 PM
Do Huckleberries grow in Alaska?

if you're serious, hell yes, all over the place.....most of 'em are bog huckleberries but there' are the other kinds too up a little higher. they make awful good jelly......mac

Mestral
September 8th, 2015, 5:45 AM
I was awakened by geese flying south yesterday at 5:15 AM.

Summer's ending here. Welcome to Autumn

Don't know if you got to see it, or if you will be able to tonight, but there should be a pretty healthy Aurora going on right now.

mac
September 8th, 2015, 1:04 PM
Don't know if you got to see it, or if you will be able to tonight, but there should be a pretty healthy Aurora going on right now.

i haven't seen any geese yet but did see a couple of small flocks of ducks (one of 'em sounded like they may have been green winged teal) and a few monarchs. back in the day this would have been a sure and certain harbinger of an early, long, and hard winter for the "top tiers" states.....mac

FieryPrincess
September 8th, 2015, 3:28 PM
We've had three 'easy' winters in a row...

I don't think this one will be as easy. All the berries played out early as did the fireweed.

Mestral
October 8th, 2015, 12:51 PM
There is, again, a pretty healthy magnetic storm going on.
Hope you get a good light show.

FieryPrincess
October 8th, 2015, 3:34 PM
It's been pretty. There's been a neat plantey/moon alignment thing going on too. My trip in to work this morning had a dawn in the east, auroras in the northeast, and that neat planet/moon/star thing to the southeast.

Too pretty to really describe.

After most of the snow from the freak 20 inches of it from September has disappeared and the weather is in the 20s/30s. Balmy for this time of year.

FieryPrincess
October 31st, 2015, 12:54 PM
The snow is back. We've had maybe 5-7 inches in the last 4-5 days. :) Just in time for Halloween. It's also the coldest day so far with temps not expected to get out the teens. This is still fairly balmy for a Halloween in Fairbanks. I'm prepared for 200 trick-or-treaters.

I'm getting ready to run my weekly errands, but I am taking a few moments to check in here while I am enjoyed my breakfast tacos cooked with moose meat. I did not enjoy the moose hamburgers, but the breakfast tacos ROCK!

I got this moose meat from a student who missed a week of class to go moose hunting. He shot one with a 65" rack on his first day out. You cannot buy moose meat in stores or anything like that here. Anyway, I teach some really nice students. He brought me the meat when I commented that I hadn't had any yet and I had been here over 3 winters.

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2015, 1:13 PM
What do they usually dress up as - Eskimos?

Mestral
October 31st, 2015, 1:23 PM
The snow is back. We've had maybe 5-7 inches in the last 4-5 days. :) Just in time for Halloween. It's also the coldest day so far with temps not expected to get out the teens. This is still fairly balmy for a Halloween in Fairbanks. I'm prepared for 200 trick-or-treaters.
...You have to read Arlo and Janis (http://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis?) for 31 Oct.
It is about having enough candy :)

mac
October 31st, 2015, 6:48 PM

I'm getting ready to run my weekly errands, but I am taking a few moments to check in here while I am enjoyed my breakfast tacos cooked with moose meat. I did not enjoy the moose hamburgers, but the breakfast tacos ROCK!

I got this moose meat from a student who missed a week of class to go moose hunting. He shot one with a 65" rack on his first day out. You cannot buy moose meat in stores or anything like that here. Anyway, I teach some really nice students. He brought me the meat when I commented that I hadn't had any yet and I had been here over 3 winters.

i would guess you're gonna have a real cold one this year. alaska is way over due......mac

FieryPrincess
October 31st, 2015, 6:56 PM
El Nino is going to hold off another cold one for at least another year.

Keeps Alaska warmer.

mac
October 31st, 2015, 8:55 PM
El Nino is going to hold off another cold one for at least another year.

Keeps Alaska warmer.

wow, that's gonna make it really tough for some of the folks up there....especially the 'subsistence' types......won't be bad for the towners, though......mac

Mestral
December 30th, 2015, 5:52 AM
Looks like the sky is setting up to give you another light show, for New Year's eve.

Ludwig
December 30th, 2015, 8:21 AM
My SIL in Lubbock has reported a record snowfall from that storm that his Rowlett.

Mestral
December 30th, 2015, 8:45 AM
Looks like the sky is setting up to give you another light show, for New Year's eve.
Maybe I should have been a little longer on the details:
There have been multiple solar flares recently, one of which is expected to impact Earth in time
to give a spectacular Aurora display on New Year's Eve.

My SIL in Lubbock has reported a record snowfall from that storm that his Rowlett.
Else I would have to look for my "wtf?" button.

Ludwig
December 30th, 2015, 8:53 AM
Maybe I should have been a little longer on the details:
There have been multiple solar flares recently, one of which is expected to impact Earth in time
to give a spectacular Aurora display on New Year's Eve.

Else I would have to look for my "wtf?" button.I just thought you mis-typed snow to show. But IDGAS if you use a "wtf". I'm not about PC either.

Mestral
December 30th, 2015, 9:58 AM
I just thought you mis-typed snow to show. But IDGAS if you use a "wtf". I'm not about PC either.
The remark refers to a conversation we had on here about getting a "wtf" button.
I said we need two buttons.
"wtf?" would refer to a simple misunderstanding or typo,
and WTF!" would refer to someone who seems to have dropped acid before posting.

FieryPrincess
January 1st, 2016, 9:50 AM
The show here was stunning. We were still pretty jet lagged from out trip to Texas and missed much of it. There will be others.

Lights were supposed to be visible possibly as far south as San Francisco.

google ronn murray photography and see some awesome stuff. You can watch a live feed camera too. It's the aurora cam.

FieryPrincess
April 24th, 2016, 11:53 AM
The snow is almost all gone and there are green buds on the trees ready to pop out. This is unheard of in April. I blame that big El Nino more than global warming.

Anyway, the weather is gorgeous - I've already gone for lovely walks and bike rides.

In news of the weird, someone stopped me in Walmart and wanted a hug because they loved my shirt. It was advocating fictitious characters for President 2016. More reasons to avoid Walmart...

My seedlings are growing well in my garage and I wear shorts a lot more - I mean, when they low is only in the 30s and the sun is shining, you know its going to be a warm day later. Ww;re getting into the *60's*!!

CenTexDave
April 25th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Yep, this global warming/climate change thing is really disastrous.
Read earlier this morning that Earth's average temp in 1996 was 57.6 degrees.
Average Earth's temp in 2016 is 57.6 degrees.

Mestral
May 9th, 2016, 9:05 AM
The show here was stunning. We were still pretty jet lagged from out trip to Texas and missed much of it. There will be others.

Lights were supposed to be visible possibly as far south as San Francisco.

google ronn murray photography and see some awesome stuff. You can watch a live feed camera too. It's the aurora cam.

You should be getting another awesome show this week, assuming the weather isn't too cloudy.

FieryPrincess
May 9th, 2016, 2:56 PM
Not really enough dark anymore. I think it's "dark" for an hour or two from 1:30--3:30. Maybe.

We're almost into constant daylight even when the sun sets because of civil twilight.

Mestral
May 10th, 2016, 6:35 AM
Wow. I didn't expect that to be for a couple more weeks.
Oh, well, next fall, I guess.

Mestral
September 27th, 2016, 4:59 PM
The ionosphere has been getting pounded by magnetic storms for the past few days.
Should be making for some interesting viewing. That is one thing I wish I could see.

xzochye
September 27th, 2016, 5:45 PM
A friend of mine took this picture 2 or 3 nights ago. http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6415&stc=1

mac
September 27th, 2016, 6:19 PM
A friend of mine took this picture 2 or 3 nights ago. http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6415&stc=1

Wow!.....with a little bit of imagination, you can almost see a herd or at least several Deer or Caribou there in the foreground....maybe Raindeer.....mac

Mestral
October 13th, 2016, 5:48 PM
The ionosphere has been getting pounded by magnetic storms for the past few days.
Should be making for some interesting viewing. That is one thing I wish I could see.
And another CME impact yesterday (or this morning, depending on where you are).

FieryPrincess
October 13th, 2016, 7:36 PM
The lights were amazing this morning. They were so bright my phone was able to catch it and even caught some purples on it! This picture doesn't really do it justice and the purples are very hard to see on there. But it was amazing. That's the sun coming up in my picture :)

http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6432&stc=1