PDA

View Full Version : The Alamo of Second Amendment Rights

Dagobert II
March 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Temple, Texas would appear to have earned itself the title of the Alamo of second amendment rights.
TEMPLE - More than 50 gun rights activists hiked over 10 miles in Temple Saturday morning in support of Open Carry Texas.

The 2nd annual OTC hike started at 11:30 a.m. (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/x-apple-data-detectors://1) at the intersection of Mouser Road and Airport Trail. Hikers had guns and rifles strapped to their backs and carried flags in support.

"I think it's good, I mean this is really about our rights, it's not necessarily about me," activist e Grisham said. "It's about the history if the open carry movement, so it's always good to see so much support from so many people who care passionately about this issue."

Grisham said that was the same hike he took with his son in 2013 but was arrested for carrying his sporting rifle and a concealed handgun. Since then, he founded OTC to help educate Texans on their right to openly carry rifles and shotguns.

Last month the Senate State Affairs committee approved a campus carry and a licensed open carry bill.
Source: http://www.kxxv.com/story/28521259/local-gun-activists-hike-ten-miles-in-support-of-open-carry-laws

Mestral
March 15th, 2015, 5:43 PM
Wasn't sure of which of the 24 threads that came up when I did a search, but this should be good enough.

Grisham and his son have filed lawsuits against Temple.

The only article I could find on line is behind the Temple Daily Telegram pay wall.

Mestral
June 30th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I just read that "nearly one in three Americans owns a gun."
All in all, I am pretty happy with what I see in this article,
although I would like more people to attend gun safety classes.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/americans-gun-ownership/2015/06/30/id/652853

Gun ownership was closely tied to "social gun culture," wherein family and friends also own guns and think less of non-gun owners, researchers found.

"Considering the presence of deeply rooted gun culture and the estimated number of guns in the U.S. to be 310 million, we (suspected) that social gun culture is associated with gun ownership," said lead author Dr. Bindu Kalesan of the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University in New York.

"This association was strong even after removing the effect of other factors such as presence of gun laws and gun deaths," Kalesan told Reuters Health by email.

The researchers used data from a 2013 online survey of 4,000 people over age 18 from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Participants were selected to be representative of the U.S. population as a whole.

About 29 percent of people nationwide reported owning a gun. Only five percent of people in Delaware and six percent in Rhode Island owned a gun, compared to almost 62 percent in Alaska.

More than half of people reported owning a gun in West Virginia, Arkansas, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Regionally, gun ownership was least common in the Northeast and most common in the South and West.

About 5 percent of people said they used their gun for hunting, and 10 percent reported attending gun safety classes.

The authors found that 32 percent of gun owners were exposed to "social gun culture" compared to six percent of non-gun owners.

White males over age 55 were most likely to own guns, compared to other demographics, according to a report of the study in Injury Prevention.

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 1:53 PM
I think some of those figures are inaccurate.
310 million guns in the U.S? Is that one gun for 310 million, or a total of 310 million guns? Most gun owners have more than one gun.
Also need to consider the children - lots of kiddies who cannot own guns.
But 1 in 3 would be great. We need to thank Obozo and his idiot VP for raising everyone's awareness. :)

Mestral
June 30th, 2015, 2:12 PM
What the numbers mean is:
In the survey, something like 29% of all respondents said they own guns.
The estimated total number of guns in the U.S. is roughly 310 million. Roughly
(Of course, a lot of people are not going to tell some strange that they own a gun)

This means that the average gun owner owns almost four guns.
Of course, nothing is average.
I have a co-worker that only owns one,
and I know someone else that owns 64.

What I think is great is: all of this means 60-something percent of the people do not own guns.
And most of them are liberals :)

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2015, 2:35 PM
Yeah, but the rest of us have plenty of guns and ammo to handle those pussy libs. :)

Mestral
June 30th, 2015, 2:42 PM
Exactly.

Shotgun Jeremy
June 30th, 2015, 9:07 PM
'Murica