PDA

View Full Version : KHS head coach retiring

sojourner truth
January 15th, 2015, 6:33 PM
Just saw on the news that Sam Jones is leaving KHS to retire... That will be a huge loss for them. I am now wondering if any of his assistants are going to leave as well... or maybe make a run at the job...

Not even sure if Coach Gascamp is thinking about it, and I haven't seen him in church for a while since the holidays got started, and I know his son just started college etc...

This came on pretty sudden, now didn't it.

CenTexDave
January 15th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Too bad, He was a good coach.

Iteachtoo
January 16th, 2015, 8:24 AM
And a very good man, which is more important. Those kids needed him.

sojourner truth
January 16th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Now we get to watch the newest Coach hunt.... The thing that gets me is that a lot of times when a new coach is hired, he brings his buds with him.

Wonder how much that displaces the asst. coaches already on staff.

JohnKilleen
January 16th, 2015, 2:45 PM
Im sorry to see coach Jones leave. Always heard very good things about him. I agree he was what the kids needed. I hope Killeen can find another man as dedicated.

RooDawg
January 20th, 2015, 9:35 AM
Now we get to watch the newest Coach hunt.... The thing that gets me is that a lot of times when a new coach is hired, he brings his buds with him.

Wonder how much that displaces the asst. coaches already on staff.

You are correct that a new coach usually brings coaches that he knows. This does displace the current coaches but any coach understands that this is always a possibility.

sojourner truth
January 20th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I pretty much guessed that... Still, it seems sad to see so much shuffling around.

I can only hope the displaced coaches can get a chance to move on and move up.... They have a lot of talent and potential.

RooDawg
February 20th, 2015, 2:12 PM
Neil Searcy named new Killeen High School football coach and campus coordinator.

JohnKilleen
February 20th, 2015, 2:26 PM
Is that a good thing? Not familiar with him. Was kind of hoping they would find someone from outside that might have new ideas on bringing the program up.

sojourner truth
February 20th, 2015, 2:29 PM
Now, I am wondering what is to become of the assistant coaches.

JohnKilleen
February 20th, 2015, 2:34 PM
Since he was already on staff as a coach, he may be keeping most of them.

CenTexDave
February 21st, 2015, 10:09 AM
I think a good hire, not a great one, but good.
He knows the kids; they know him.
Psstttttt...................wanna trade for Jack Welch? :)

sojourner truth
February 21st, 2015, 2:23 PM
No Dave, they want a winner.

Rick
February 21st, 2015, 2:52 PM
Plus, they can't afford him. Of course, that didn't stop Cove. :))

siamcat
February 21st, 2015, 6:45 PM
Coaching is only one step in the equation, you need talent too. Killeen spreads theirs over four HS's, Cove has all of theirs in one. I'm happy with the decision. No need to spend extra money to find Mr. Supercoach, when you have a talented on already on staff. I'm sure the retired one (Jones?) put in his two cents on the choice too.

ethelm
February 21st, 2015, 10:29 PM
Searcy is a great guy and I think he will do a good job

CenTexDave
February 22nd, 2015, 10:24 AM
Yea, Killeen has 4 high schools and, if you throw in Heights and Nolanville, about 200,000 population compared to Cove's 32,000.
Try again.

siamcat
February 22nd, 2015, 4:42 PM
Yea, Killeen has 4 high schools and, if you throw in Heights and Nolanville, about 200,000 population compared to Cove's 32,000.
Try again.

Lol, I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I wasn't just talking about the talented kids(it was part of it). We don't have the money to buy four so called "Super Coaches".

I know the kids were hoping he would get the job and he will do a good job, not only on the field but in the kids lives, which is more important to me.

While I root for our kids to win, I honestly don't get too upset if they don't.

CenTexDave
February 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
I agree.
When first hired, Jack Welch was not, what I would call, a "super coach". He had been on staffs at colleges, but then so have many high school coaches.
What he mainly did to make a big difference was approach the city Parks & Rec youth football and conduct coaching clinics - teach basic fundamentals. By the time those kids hit junior high they had the basics down. He didn't play the "good ole boy" game - the best players started. Not like some guy I worked with told me how he went to Cove and graduated in 1981 and the best players were usually on the bench because of parental influence.
Of course Cove was blessed with some outstanding players during his reign - Peanut Tillman, Vontez Duff, T.J. Hollowell, Howard Hodges, all the way through RG3 and Josh Boyce - all have played in the NFL.
I don't think Cove will ever see that elusive state championship though. If he couldn't win one with those two groups of players he'll never win it.

gnatsum
March 3rd, 2015, 5:17 PM
Try again.

Don't forget Fort Hood--all of the students there are KISD, even West Fort Hood. Had to go to Google Maps, find a street in the residential area, then input the street name into the KISD Attendance Zone finder on their website (couldn't think of the names of any schools out there, but the street I typed in showed 'Shoemaker' as the designated High School).

JohnKilleen
March 4th, 2015, 4:11 PM
Killeen kids just aren't into football much anymore. I am sure there is a lot of talent out there. Too many other things kids are involved in.....many not ideal. It seemed to work well with 2 high schools, but 4 was too much. There isn't community or school support. As much as I enjoy the game, it is only a game and the main purpose is to educate.