PDA

View Full Version : Texas CHL reciept timeline

fchafey
December 29th, 2014, 8:08 PM
My wife just told me that I got a renewal in the mail for my Utah permit. Utah requires a home sate CHL along with a passport photo for renewal. The permit expires 1 March 2015 and I wont be home until the endish of January. I dont think I will recieve my Texas CHL in time to renew the Utah permit. How long does it typically take to recieve the Texas CHL once the class is completed? Thank you.

sojourner truth
December 29th, 2014, 8:27 PM
It's government paperwork... Probably get it in 2018.

Rick
December 29th, 2014, 9:12 PM
Mine and my wife's took about ten weeks. They seem to have fixed some things since because some co-workers got theirs in about four weeks.

fchafey
December 29th, 2014, 9:20 PM
Thank you, I dont think I need 2 licenses and I see Texas reciprocity has gotten larger. I will knock this out when I get home.

CenTexDave
December 29th, 2014, 9:49 PM
Renewals should be faster.

fchafey
December 29th, 2014, 9:53 PM
Doing some reading, once I get in New Jersey to visit, it would still cause me grief if I got pulled over and the officer knew the law, he could jam me up for even having a handgun in the Garden State, Maryland isnt any better. I wouldnt have to let him know I had the weapon, but still, I dont need the potential grief.

CenTexDave
December 29th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Disassemble it and put the pistol in pieces in different parts of the car.

circle_c
December 30th, 2014, 5:39 AM
At least field strip and keep in the trunk with lock device.

fchafey
December 30th, 2014, 5:53 AM
Well I thought of that, however the great state of New Jersey only allows one to go through the state with a weapon. I would be stoaying in Brick to visit mom. Since I dont have one of the two convoluted pieces of paper that would allow me to be in NJ with the weapon, I could get jammed up. I had always kept it stashed and in the house but the way the law reads I was always wrong. I got it good now and have a nice clearance to go with it. Not worth losing all that.

kantwin
December 30th, 2014, 6:57 AM
Gun friendly Texas...right.
Alabama does not require a class.
$25 per year, up to 5 years. Stop by your local county sheriff's office, fill out a form, take a picture, and 20 minutes later, walk out with your concealed carry permit.

fchafey
December 30th, 2014, 7:06 AM
I think Alabama still has one license to drive anything including a motorcycle, but not a limo or semi. Was thinking about moving there until I learned the A/C mechanics were union at Rucker. Good state though.....

sojourner truth
December 30th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Makes on wonder who does have guns in NJ... I mean, there have to be at least a handful of people who like to hunt.

Or doesn't the 2nd amendment apply there?

CenTexDave
December 30th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Only the gangs and thieves have gun there. Anyone else living there that has half a brain has already exited the dump.

fchafey
December 30th, 2014, 7:38 PM
Makes on wonder who does have guns in NJ... I mean, there have to be at least a handful of people who like to hunt.

Hunting is a pain in NJ. You have to have your hunters safety course certificate as well as the card that lets you have the weapon in your vehicle. I did read that if you are hunting you are allowed some types of hollow points. Duck and Pheasant hunting, in the 70's was really huge, so too was Deer.

sojourner truth
December 30th, 2014, 9:29 PM
Well, for a minute there, I thought it was sounding like even owning a gun in NJ was against the law. Much less transporting it in the car.

I mean, how does one even buy one in that environment, much less get it home....

Now that I am thinking about it, haven't there been a few gun related incidents lately in NJ?

fchafey
December 30th, 2014, 9:39 PM
People go to Pensylvannia for guns and Noth Carolina for Cigarrettes and fireworks. Buying a shotgun isnt too bad, pick it out, do the paperwork, wait for it, I think 7 days, come back and pick up the weapon and go hunting. And you are right about gun related incidents, there have been a few. One reason why Rahway Prison is always full.

mac
December 30th, 2014, 10:58 PM

back in the day an awful lot of boys out of ft. dix enjoyed hunting in new jersey. truth be told, new jersey has an awful lot of real fine timber......least ways they did 30 to 40 years ago......mac

Shotgun Jeremy
December 30th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I got my CHL back in 11 days. Other people (as seen on TexasGunTalk) are seeing months. It's really hard to be sure right now...

Mestral
December 31st, 2014, 3:23 AM
Sounds like somebody along the route for that paperwork is processing the paperwork in a last in, first out fashion.
That is a system that always creates random wait times.

sojourner truth
December 31st, 2014, 2:37 PM
Maybe they have been looking at this thread on CTT.....

cnjbond
December 31st, 2014, 4:14 PM
Gun friendly Texas...right.
Alabama does not require a class.
$25 per year, up to 5 years. Stop by your local county sheriff's office, fill out a form, take a picture, and 20 minutes later, walk out with your concealed carry permit.

The process in Georgia is about the same for troopers stationed there. All you need to do is bring in a water bill or something showing that you're a resident (not residency) there and you get your license...the assumptions is that you should PROBABLY be proficient with a firearm if you're in the military. Now we all know that's not necessarily true for all but it's true for the majority.

At least that was the case back when I was stationed there in 2010-2011.