PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Playoff Teams?

CenTexDave
December 12th, 2014, 1:26 PM
A lawmaker is filing a bill to cut the number of high school teams reaching the playoffs:

http://www.kwtx.com/_254sports/home/headlines/Too-Many-Texas-High-School-Playoffs--One-Lawmaker-Thinks-So-285634151.html

Night Owl
December 12th, 2014, 2:23 PM
Might be something to look into because 4 teams per district means there are a lot of teams that don't deserve to be there. But it is Texas.

CenTexDave
December 12th, 2014, 2:50 PM
I agree. When you see teams with a 3-7 or a 4-6 record in the playoffs it's ridiculous. Hell, a team that went 0-10 made the playoffs this year because there were 5 teams in a district and one of them shut down their football program.

Grammar Rules
December 12th, 2014, 6:42 PM
I don't know that the Lege needs to get involved. Wouldn't you think UIL would enact a sliding eligibility so the small districts wouldn't be in an "everyone gets a prize" situation?

CenTexDave
December 12th, 2014, 8:27 PM
It's all about making as many kids feel good as they possibly can. You know - just like in Little League. Everybody gets a trophy.
It's bad enough now that they have each class divided into two divisions - big school and little school. But as far as this is what everyone wants then let them have it. And I don't know where that lawmaker came up with some schools spending $5K+ for a trip in the playoffs.

RooDawg
December 13th, 2014, 10:11 AM
And I don't know where that lawmaker came up with some schools spending $5K+ for a trip in the playoffs.

I think he said $8,000 for rural teams. And I can see that. Busses that carry the teams, the support kids, the price of feeding them. And since the rural teams have to travel so far during the playoffs they may go a day earlier and spend the night in a hotel. I can really see a school district paying $8000 to travel for a playoff game.

Regardless of the bill being introduced because of the cost of playoff games, I agree that four teams is too many teams in the playoffs even though my Roos have benefited from that 4th spot and made the most of it a couple of times going 3 and 4 rounds deep.

gnatsum
December 13th, 2014, 4:52 PM
There was that goofy idea that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones tried to sell to the UIL a few years ago (but did they buy it??)--ONE location for all of the state final playoff games...and THAT location would be Texas Stadium/AT&T Stadium.
Nice interesting idea, but if the two top teams in a given classification were from distant districts but not close to Jerry World, say like...McAllen vs. Houston, then why would one "force" the two teams to travel FARTHER THAN THEY HAVE TO, to the final game? Why not play the game where it's closer to halfway BETWEEN them, like Corpus Christi or San Antonio? Would the UIL REALLY schedule a football championship game between, for example, Copperas Cove and Converse Judson, IN ARLINGTON?!?! Hell, just ask UT or Texas State to see if their field is open on that Saturday.

CenTexDave
December 13th, 2014, 5:12 PM
I agree. Jerry World would be ridiculous for all, especially with adequate stadiums in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, etc.

birdfriend
December 13th, 2014, 5:51 PM
Well, the state playoffs this year will be in Arlington a.k.a. Jerry's World. http://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/att-stadium-to-host-all-2014-football-championship-games

CenTexDave
December 13th, 2014, 6:31 PM
State finals - yes. All classes. Ridiculous.

birdfriend
December 13th, 2014, 8:54 PM
I'm looking forward to watching some of the state finals on Fox Sports Southwest.

CenTexDave
December 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Cameron Yoe won last night and is in the finals.
Temple won tonight and will play 4 time defending champ Aledo. That should be a butt kicker.

sickofpc
December 13th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Watering down the playoffs, making so many teams eligible, is rediculous....another example of feel good, rather than rewarding excellence...

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2014, 8:17 AM
It has gotten ridiculous. I'm surprised that the UIL has not mandated that all teams in the playoffs must buy their players a ring. Why bother with trophies anymore. Make it rings - 14k gold ring. :))
Seriously, I don't even agree with the state champs receiving rings. This is high school, not the NFL.