PDA

View Full Version : RGIII A Future Cowboy

cnjbond
November 24th, 2014, 4:40 PM
Anyone else intrigued at the thought of RGIII coming to the Cowboys to be the heir apparent to Romo? I'll admit, I haven't been overly impressed with his QBing that last 2yrs but you can chalk a lot of that up to coming back way too soon from both his knee and ankle injuries before he should've and also not having a solid off season under his belt since his rookie year.

I think if Dallas continues to put a priority on a solid O-line and running game, he could have a successful career as a pocket passer. Romo will keep the job for at least another year or so giving RGIII plenty of time to develop into a better pocket passer.

Thoughts.....

sojourner truth
November 24th, 2014, 5:11 PM
Lord, I hope not... we have enough problems with Romo... As much as I personally like RGIII, I think his days as a pro QB are numbered... And it isn't a big number.

If he can't run with the ball to get out of a jam, he isn't effective. And, he still doesn't know what a "pocket" is.

Like they said in the movie "You ain't in Kansas any more".......

gnatsum
November 24th, 2014, 5:53 PM
Didn't he learn about the "pocket" at Baylor or Cove, or did Welch and/or Briles let him down for not ever "teaching" him about being in the pocket?
Perhaps the Redskins' offense is not of a type that makes RG3 comfortable or happy? One would think that among the skills of an Offensive Coordinator, is the ability to work with the QB/QBs in how they should work. Would be bad to discover that RG3 can't adapt to Washington's "style" of offense, after being in Cove and Waco...

And yes, I would support the notion of bringing in RG3 to the Cowboys. Not quite towards the tipping point of my "acceptance" of the Cowboys (step 1: Remove Jerry Jones from Cowboys system...), but it's a start...:)

cnjbond
November 24th, 2014, 6:01 PM
I think a lot of RGIII's problems are RGIII, not so much the systems he's in. He has to learn that those things that made him a Heisman Trophy winner are pretty much gone now due to his injuries which is why I think sitting on the bench in a system that provides a good deal of pocket protection would help him out.

CenTexDave
November 24th, 2014, 6:20 PM
I watched that game yesterday. His O-line sucks. Not sure if they suck on purpose or if they really simply that bad. His receivers weren't getting open. Sure wasn't like Romo who had all night back there and could have ordered a pizza.
Now, that said, he didn't do that much passing at Cove. More his junior year than senior year, and he didn't do that much running his senior year either. Had an all-state RB that he would mainly hand off too. If he did run it was a designed play, not a scramble like he's having to do now.
It's obvious his time in Washington is about over. And I don't think it's very much his fault. He was brought back too early after that injury. Hell - that injury was his coach's fault for leaving him in there too long. It was obvious he was hurt. Although Shanahan could see the season coming to an end if he took him out, what it lead to was him getting hurt worse. Then they bring him back too soon without having played at all in the preseason. What the hell did they expect? Plus I think he's lost some of his quickness. He is not a sprinter; he is dangerous when he would get past the first wave and have a little time to accelerate. But once moving he was fast as greased lightning. I also think too much crap has gotten into his head.
The Cowboys have to find an heir apparent to Romo this next draft. Who they gonna try and get - Mariotta from Oregon? LOL That's an RG3 duplicate. Other than Mariotta I don't think there is a QB that would rate a high draft pick. The good ones seem to be freshmen or sophs. So as long as they don't have to give up the farm - like the Redskins did to draft Griffin - why not make an offer for him? It's obvious as hell Weeden is not gonna be able to handle the job.

Night Owl
November 24th, 2014, 8:09 PM
I like him but not in a Cowboys uniform. He isn't a NFL quarterback.

CenTexDave
November 24th, 2014, 8:11 PM
I kind of agree. Cam Newton has shown to be pretty much the same, as as Colin Kaepernick and it's only a matter of time before Seattle's Russell Wilson gets leveled.

sojourner truth
November 24th, 2014, 8:41 PM
His current physical status will haunt him... Without his ability to move around, he will not be a high candidate for signing with anyone...

Of course, if the Dallas O line gave him the sort of time they gave Romo last night, he may do well....

CenTexDave
November 24th, 2014, 10:07 PM
The entire NFL knew what he was in college - a dual-threat QB who was not a prototype drop back passer. He did drop back a lot in college and was successful with it. He also had an O-line that protected him well and a bunch of speedy WRs.
I think his main problem now is in his head.

cnjbond
November 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM
RGIII gets benched in favor of Colt McCoy (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/benching-signals-end-of-griffins-career-at-least-in-washington/ar-BBfXNfQ).

I still don't understand why Washington is having such a hard time letting him recover for an extended period of time instead of rushing him back on the field after serious injuries. yeah, I'm sure RGIII is telling the coaches he's good to go but it's ultimately up to the staff to tell him NO!

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I'm also starting to question if this coach is worth a damn also. Sure, Shanahan was obviously on his way out of Washington. His kid was the offensive coordinator. Seems his kid is now doing ok in Cleveland. They are 7-4 with a team that was supposed to only win 4 or 5 games.
You don't toss your franchise QB under the bus like he did. Jay Gruden built his reputation only because he is Jon Gruden's brother. Former OC in Cincinnati. Hell, with A.J. Green any average QB like Andy Dalton would look good.

fchafey
November 26th, 2014, 7:59 PM
Would be ice to see Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, and Jacksonville make it one day to the Super Bowl, that would complete a run of the league and be pretty impressive compared to the other professional sports.

Unorunner
November 27th, 2014, 5:59 AM
RGIII is a good quarterback and an extended ride on the bench may help him heal, both physically and mentally. That being said, I'm not sure I want to see him wearing my Cowboy colors. Romo is kind of locked in for a bit, considering his contract but I do wonder how long his back will hold up.

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 7:44 AM
Romo is at the age where QB's are always getting hurt. I give him another 2 years most.

Ludwig
November 27th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Romo is at the age where QB's are always getting hurt. I give him another 2 years most.

I agree that Romo is on the back side of the hill. RGIII is beat up worse than Romo.

corgifan
November 27th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Romo is just now coming into his own. Good O-line. And finally has a running back to take pressure off. He's not going anywhere for a long time, and he's going to finally start winning some serious playoff games.

RGIII is done. Nice kid, but WAY to frail. If he comes to the Cowboys it will be for media space only. Jerry always wants people talking about his team.

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Before you send Romo that elusive Super Bowl ring let's see how they do today. Eagles are banged up and using Mark Sanchez at QB. If the Boys take care of business and win big then I'd say you might be correct.

gs45
November 27th, 2014, 2:52 PM
Before you send Romo that elusive Super Bowl ring let's see how they do today. Eagles are banged up and using Mark Sanchez at QB. If the Boys take care of business and win big then I'd say you might be correct.

personally i think the eagles are overrated.have they beaten a team with a winning record?

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 3:37 PM
They did beat Indianapolis, barely lost to Arizona, got blown out by The Pack.

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 3:59 PM
What appears to be over rated, at least early in this game, is Dallas's defense. If they don't get it together they will soon be down 14-0.

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 5:03 PM
Cowboys are acting like turkeys this Thanksgiving. 23-7, Philly at the half.
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman need early Christmas presents. Somebody give them a razor.

kantwin
November 27th, 2014, 6:42 PM
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5145&stc=1

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 6:49 PM
Brother, did they ever stink this one up. I hope this isn't the start of their normal downward swoon.

fchafey
November 27th, 2014, 7:53 PM
Me too, to be honest, they have the Bears next Thursday night and they stunk it up against the Lions I see as well.

corgifan
November 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Romo is just now coming into his own. Good O-line. And finally has a running back to take pressure off. He's not going anywhere for a long time, and he's going to finally start winning some serious playoff games.
Then again...

CenTexDave
November 28th, 2014, 11:46 AM
That wasn't just Romo's fault yesterday. It was a total team effort. Jason Garrett must be wondering what the hell happened.

cnjbond
November 28th, 2014, 1:33 PM
Dallas always does well until people start jumping on the bandwagon and saying how good they are. In the words of Dennis Green, "They are who we that they were"! Until they win a few big time matchups and a couple of playoff games, they will forever be the team of mediocrity that just can't seem to put it all together for an entire season.

CenTexDave
November 28th, 2014, 2:58 PM
True. Everyone jumped on their bandwagon when they beat Seattle in Seattle. Trouble was, Seattle wasn't playing very good ball then. Yesterday Seattle looked like the defending Super Bowl champs.
When Washington came in here and cleaned their clock with a third string QB that should have been a big indicator.

CenTexDave
December 12th, 2014, 7:44 AM
I read an interesting article in a newspaper concerning RGIII.
The writer questioned the Redskins' handling of Griffin. He stated many of the great NFL quarterbacks spent 2-3+ years on the bench learning the system before being tossed to the wolves. Now, he states, these NFL teams expect a 22 or 23 year old right out college be given the reins and provide all the leadership and lead the team to the promised land.
He stated that the Skins knew what they were getting - a scrambling, dual threat QB who had played in run option offenses in high school and college. The Redskins even studied and adapted their offense to the run option. So Griffin gets hurt, a la Shanahan not removing him when it was obvious he was hurt and making it worse, and then tosses him out there again before he is fully recovered. Now in comes a new coach and expects this kid to immediately be a drop back passer. He thinks Washington is totally nuts to give up on him so quickly. The problem is in this day and age everyone wants to win today, not wait for a year or two.
I hope the Skins trade him or just cut him loose. Some team will pick him up, probably at a far less salary, and give him a chance. I'll laugh like hell when in 2 or 3 years Griffin leads that team into D.C. and blows the Skins off the field. :)

Ludwig
December 12th, 2014, 8:41 AM
Unfortunately RGIII is damaged fruit. He will never amount to anything in the NFL. His body will not let him. I only hope that he comes to that realization before he completely self-destructs and gets into another profession. He is too good a person to lose.

CenTexDave
December 12th, 2014, 8:53 AM
You may be correct. He was one thesis away from getting his Master's degree when he left Baylor for the NFL. Hopefully he has gone back and completed it, or will complete it soon. I imagine a lot of his salary was guaranteed, so if I was him I'd give it one more shot and if it doesn't work out just walk away from it.