PDA

View Full Version : Latest AP Poll

CenTexDave
November 23rd, 2014, 8:53 PM
1. Florida State - after another pull it out your butt, come from behind victory on a last second FG they put these guys #1!!!!
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Miss St
5. BAYLOR - they jump TCU
6. TCU
7. Ohio St
8. Georgia
9. UCLA
10. Michigan State

CenTexDave
November 24th, 2014, 9:39 AM
Texas-TCU on Thanksgiving night should be a good game. Texas has really improved lately and TCU has looked very ordinary.
But I don't know if anyone else can crack that Top Four. Florida State, as much as they always stink it up until the final 2 minutes, plays Florida next. Keep your fingers crossed, because their conference championship game will probably be against Georgia Tech and not much of a game. Oregon should cake walk to the Pac-12 championship. Bama might get a game from Auburn and Georgia may give them fits in the conf championship IF they play Georgia. I think Mizzou holds the tie breaker on that. Miss State just has to beat Ole Miss in The Egg Bowl (helluva name - how did they come up with that??), BUT will the committee keep a non-conference champ as #4??
As much as I want to see Ohio State make it to the party I doubt they will. Baylor gets by Kansas State and they should be in it.

LauraA
November 26th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Ugh, I was out of town again, but heard the Huskers got beat. I did notice in this weeks poll that while they dropped out, my Louisville Cardinals got some love and came in at 24 :-)

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2014, 6:54 AM
Yep, they're calling for Bo Pellini's head in Lincoln.

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2014, 7:33 AM
The AP Poll and the CFP differ a bit:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Miss State
5. TCU
6. Ohio State
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Georgia
10. Michigan State
The next two weeks are going to be interesting.

kantwin
November 26th, 2014, 8:03 AM
Roll TIDE

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2014, 8:26 AM
Go Buckeyes!!!!!
Was reading earlier that Baylor fans are all sorts of pissed. They beat TCU (last minute FG on a turnover) but think they belong in the Top 4.
They'll get their chance - play Texas Tech this weekend and finish the season playing Kansas State. Of course they need to put a ton up on Tech because TCU scored 82 against them. TCU plays Texas tomorrow night and finishes with Iowa State. The one thing that is going to haunt the Big 12 is no conference championship game. Would the committee elevate the Big12 champ into the top 4 over a team that plays one more game and wins a conference championship? I doubt it unless one of the current Top 4 loses. Even if that happens, what about Ohio State? If they beat Wisconsin (at least looks like it will be the Badgers) in the B1G title game can you keep them out? Can Ole Miss beat Miss State this weekend? Doubt it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that and/or Florida to beat Florida State.
But this has become nuts - everyone thinks if your team doesn't make it into the Final Four the season has been a disaster. How well I remember a 9 win season and a bowl bid was considered a great year.

fchafey
November 26th, 2014, 8:01 PM
9 wins or a victory against the rival. Didnt the Michigan coach get fired a couple of years ago because he could beat OSU?

LauraA
November 26th, 2014, 8:58 PM
Yep, they're calling for Bo Pellini's head in Lincoln.

As long as they go to a bowl game they will be good, but too many more season where they drop like this and he will be gone.

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2014, 8:59 PM
Rich Rodriguez? He did great at West Virginia, but he could never run his spread there because he didn't have the right players for it. His recruiting sucked. Before him Lloyd Carr finally retired. He only beat Tressel once since Ohio State hired him. Of course in this day and age it's "what have you done for me lately?" Carr won a national championship there. Just like Mack Brown. Then a couple off years and you're toast.

LauraA
November 26th, 2014, 8:59 PM
The AP Poll and the CFP differ a bit:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Miss State
5. TCU
6. Ohio State
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Georgia
10. Michigan State
The next two weeks are going to be interesting.

I still want my little cinderella team, Mississippi St. to win it all. Alabama, yawn, Florida St., yawn. I would like to see a school that isn't swimming in alumni and athletics money win it.

LauraA
November 26th, 2014, 9:02 PM
Texas-TCU on Thanksgiving night should be a good game. Texas has really improved lately and TCU has looked very ordinary.
But I don't know if anyone else can crack that Top Four. Florida State, as much as they always stink it up until the final 2 minutes, plays Florida next. Keep your fingers crossed, because their conference championship game will probably be against Georgia Tech and not much of a game. Oregon should cake walk to the Pac-12 championship. Bama might get a game from Auburn and Georgia may give them fits in the conf championship IF they play Georgia. I think Mizzou holds the tie breaker on that. Miss State just has to beat Ole Miss in The Egg Bowl (helluva name - how did they come up with that??), BUT will the committee keep a non-conference champ as #4??
As much as I want to see Ohio State make it to the party I doubt they will. Baylor gets by Kansas State and they should be in it.

Yeah, Texas vs TCU will be ok. We all know TCU will win. It is sad that Texas went and got greedy and caused A&M to go to greener pastures. That was always such a classic game. TCU, while good, just isn't the same.

fchafey
November 26th, 2014, 9:03 PM
It was Lloyd Carr, I remember he also fell out of favor ral quick after the Championship. Mack Brown couldnt control his kids in the end, and that isnt a bad thing if you are winning, look at FSU, as well as Nebraska with Pellini saying he couldnt control the amount of pot his kids smoked. Lose and have discipline problems, Ta Ta.....

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2014, 9:03 PM
Good luck. Ole Miss gonna beat them in The Egg Bowl I think. Miss State's pass defense is one of the worst in the country.
But I kind of agree - tired of seeing the same old up there year after year. TCU or Baylor would be a welcome change. Of course, and keep this a secret, there's only one team I really want to win it all!! GO BUCKEYES!!!!! :)

LauraA
November 26th, 2014, 9:08 PM
It takes a lot to get kick out of Nebraska. Remember Ricky Intagliago(?) I was there when he was there and he got away with a lot of crap. It took him punching a coach to finally get him kicked off. His father then call the Nebraska coaching team a bunch of p******. Ricky goes to the NFL and low and behold he get in trouble in Miami. Who is shocked?

fchafey
November 26th, 2014, 9:10 PM
Neverheard of that guy but there was a fellow named Lawrence Phillips that went to Neberaska and there was real POS...

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2014, 7:46 AM
Yep. All the talent in the world and couldn't stay out of trouble, and it was mainly trouble not in the community or with police but with the team and coaches. What an idiot. But I don't know if he was like that in college, or I'm sure Tom Osbourne would have dumped him.
Every school has their "stars" who blow up. I remember that moron Maurice Clarett from Ohio State. After helping them win the National Championship in 2003, he self destructs. What a fool - he would have had it made.

LauraA
November 28th, 2014, 9:03 PM
Frank Solich was the coach when I was there and that whole Ricky Intagliano business went on. I had a couple of friends who were athletes in other sports and had to go to athletic study hall and the stories they would tell. I don't know, maybe that attitude and aggression gets you big bucks in the NFL.

CenTexDave
November 28th, 2014, 9:19 PM
I know Frank Solich. He played for Cleveland Holy Name High School. We played them when I was a soph and he was a senior. They won the City Championship that year. Beat us too. lol He played tailback in the old single wing formation. Kind of surprised me he went to play at Nebraska, and Bob Devanney put him at fullback!!!
I guess a 9-3 record with a bowl win isn't good enough anymore. Same thing is going to happen to Bo Pelini, although they did beat Iowa today in OT.

Grammar Rules
November 30th, 2014, 6:07 PM
The young athlete, Kosta Karageorge, who had disappeared from Ohio State was found dead, with a gun, in a dumpster near campus. The news says it was self-inflicted, and he reportedly had told his mother that concussions had messed him up. Very sad, but did he get into the dumpster to shoot himself? That's odd on top of the tragedy.

CenTexDave
November 30th, 2014, 6:32 PM
Yeah, truly sad and very mysterious. I did read the police have confiscated the dumpster and set up a wide area where the dumpster was to look for anything that might help in this. What I have not read is how long he had been dead or in that dumpster. He vanished early Weds morning. I don't know the neighborhood there, but you would think someone would have heard a gunshot.

birdfriend
November 30th, 2014, 7:30 PM
Grammar, I was wondering as you were if he had gotten into the dumpster and then shot himself. That is just bizarre. I am also waiting to find out if the gun belonged to him or is one he to which he had access.

Grammar Rules
November 30th, 2014, 7:43 PM
I guess maybe he didn't want to be found. How sad.

CenTexDave
November 30th, 2014, 9:44 PM
Latest AP Poll as of Nov 30:
1. Alabama
2. Florida St
3. Oregon
4. TCU
5. Baylor
6. Ohio State
7. Michigan State
8. Arizona
9. Kansas State
10.Mississippi State
11.Wisconsin

The College Football Playoff Committee will release their rankings (which are really the only ones that matter at this stage of the game) Tuesday evening.

LauraA
December 2nd, 2014, 1:02 PM
Latest AP Poll as of Nov 30:
1. Alabama
2. Florida St
3. Oregon
4. TCU
5. Baylor
6. Ohio State
7. Michigan State
8. Arizona
9. Kansas State
10.Mississippi State
11.Wisconsin

The College Football Playoff Committee will release their rankings (which are really the only ones that matter at this stage of the game) Tuesday evening.

I would just like to say my universities, Louisville and Nebraska made the top 25 in the final poll. :partydrink:

CenTexDave
December 2nd, 2014, 3:44 PM
That and 25 cents will get you a bowl game. :)

cnjbond
December 2nd, 2014, 5:04 PM
That and 25 cents will get you a bowl game. :)

Please, you don't even have to be ranked to get in a bowl game. You just need the 25 cents!

gnatsum
December 2nd, 2014, 5:08 PM
It takes a lot to get kick out of Nebraska. Remember Ricky Intagliago(?) I was there when he was there and he got away with a lot of crap. It took him punching a coach to finally get him kicked off. His father then call the Nebraska coaching team a bunch of p******. Ricky goes to the NFL and low and behold he get in trouble in Miami. Who is shocked?

Sounds like the Adam James story (had to hit the 'net to get his first name...:)) )
James was a starter at Texas Tech when Mike Leach was coach there. Leach decides that James has a bit of a "problem" and supposedly punishes James by having him stand in a shed for two hours. James then allegedly manages to get Leach dropped from coaching Tech in the Alamo Bowl...and later fired from Tech (rumors then were that Craig wanted Leach to use his son more in more games).
Some say that the James incident was the straw that broke the camel's back, in regards to Leach's continuing employment at Tech.

CenTexDave
December 2nd, 2014, 7:00 PM
It probably was. James didn't gain any friends though. ESPN booted him, and his political career lasted one whole primary campaign. Don't know what happened with his kid, but didn't make any sports headlines on any team I know of. And Leach? He spent a while in Florida and is now the head coach at Washington State. And Tech? They just had a dismal season. :)

gnatsum
December 3rd, 2014, 5:11 PM
I was trying to edit my post about the James/Leach situation at Tech, and I wound up accidently wiping out the stuff about Craig James' background. Didn't realize it was gone until I read the post today.
If it weren't for the James tagteam, Leach might still be at Tech, with Kingsbury as his assistant. But...who knows what would've happened?

CenTexDave
December 3rd, 2014, 6:06 PM
If Tech would learn to play defense they'd be dangerous.

LauraA
December 5th, 2014, 7:37 PM
Well, Nebraska hired a coach from Oregon St. Don't know much about the guy except what the university puts on the Husker football page. He sounds glorious (yes, there was some snark there.) I guess we will see how it goes.

CenTexDave
December 5th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Mike Riley. Has previous NFL experience with San Diego. Was kind of surprised because his teams there are Oregon State have been under par. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but Oregon State won't even get a bowl game this.
But his experience on the west coast might attract some good recruits. Let's face it - recruiting is everything.
Give him 4 or 5 years and see what happens.