PDA

View Full Version : 2014 World Series

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2014, 9:17 PM
Royals won again today, 2-1, and swept the Orioles.
KC vs ________??

Night Owl
October 15th, 2014, 9:36 PM
Hopefully SF.

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2014, 9:44 PM
4th game, SF up 2 games to one, but St. Louis is winning tonight, 4-3, in 6th inning.

fchafey
October 15th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Sf is up 6-4, am finally able to see the game over here, as well as news and some other things. It sure makes for a spoiled deployment to be able to watch TV. It is nice.

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Giants won the game and lead the series 3 games to 1. Game 5 tomorrow in San Fran.

sojourner truth
October 16th, 2014, 2:53 PM
Be nice to see someone different in the series for a change... Instead of the Cardinals again.

Go SF... Kansas city has earned the trip, and it has been an awful long dry spell for them. At least they are there, and George Brett can say he lived long enough to see it a 2nd time.

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2014, 3:17 PM
The hell you say!!!! Giants have been in a couple of times the past few years.
No matter who makes it in - GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!! :)

sojourner truth
October 16th, 2014, 4:22 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see them win too....

fchafey
October 16th, 2014, 8:46 PM
I would like to see the Royals win. The last time they did it was a little at the behest of Don Deckinger's famous blown call....

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2014, 9:42 PM
Tied up, 3-3, heading to the 9th.

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Goodbye St. Louis. Cards had bases loaded in the top of the 9th and couldn't score, but the Giants did - 3 run homer!!!!

fchafey
October 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM
With KC being home for the series, it will be interesting to see if cold weather plays a part, not that it is warm in SF but seeing possible snow for the World Series is retarded.

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I remember the Indians and Florida World Series in 1997. Damn 5 degrees, wind chill below zero and snow in Cleveland. They postponed one game, but next day decided to play. Midway through the game out comes a relief pitcher for Cleveland. No sweatshirt, etc, just shirt sleeves. Guy was born and raised there. lol

fchafey
October 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
The stream over here is 8 minutes behind, just go to see the home run, frigging awesome to end a game like that. Wacha had been good but looked tired tonight.

sojourner truth
October 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Good... I hope KC gets its day in the sun this time around..
ABC.... Anyone but Cardinals....

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I notice LauraA has not been on here to comment.

sojourner truth
October 17th, 2014, 2:33 PM
So much for fan loyalty...

The Cards manager looked almost pitiful during the aftergame interview. The players were almost in tears.

Gotta feel bad for them.... But not too bad.

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2014, 3:46 PM
Hell, I can't feel bad for them. It was 4 games to 1. That is about total domination.
Now, need the Royals to keep it going.

LauraA
October 17th, 2014, 7:11 PM
I notice LauraA has not been on here to comment.
:crying I'm still too upset to talk about it.

LauraA
October 17th, 2014, 7:14 PM
So much for fan loyalty...

The Cards manager looked almost pitiful during the aftergame interview. The players were almost in tears.

Gotta feel bad for them.... But not too bad.

The Cards manager is a hottie. He never looks bad. We'll be back next year, which is probably more than the Rangers can say. ;)

P.S. Why are there no Astros fans in Texas?

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2014, 7:24 PM
Who the hell is a Rangers' fan? Oh, ST.

Night Owl
October 17th, 2014, 9:32 PM
Good

fchafey
October 17th, 2014, 9:36 PM
The Cards manager is a hottie. He never looks bad. We'll be back next year, which is probably more than the Rangers can say. ;)

P.S. Why are there no Astros fans in Texas?

The same reason there doesnt seem to be any Texan's fans until you get around Brenam....Was the same way with the Oilers too it seems.

Proud Texan
October 17th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Who the hell is a Rangers' fan? Oh, ST.

I am a Rangers fan as well.

Proud Texan
October 17th, 2014, 10:29 PM

a perfect reason for me to want them to lose.

Night Owl
October 17th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I'm a Rangers fan, a MAVS fan, aStars fan, and a Cowboys fan.

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2014, 9:59 AM
My sincerest condolences.
No mention of college ball - give up on UT already? :)

Night Owl
October 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Gave up on them a while back.

sojourner truth
October 18th, 2014, 1:09 PM
Well, the Rangers and Cards have one thing in common.... They get to watch the series at home.. And cry all the way to the bank.

I will always be a rangers fan... Where do you think these other teams get all their stars.

Nellie Cruz, who singlehandedly lost the world series for the Rangers a few years ago, and was traded for being a doper, is now the premier star for the Orioles.

Bout the only one who really still sucks is Josh Hamilton. And the Rangers will be back after some major adjustments. One of their biggest problems, and greatest assets, was Ron Washington. A great coach, but too soft hearted to make the hard choices when it came to pulling non performers out of the lineup.

Their starting pitching, and bullpen are pitiful, yet they keep hanging on to the same old losers like Matt Harrison, and Feliz Navidad, and Alexi Ogando. Robbie Ross got moved up and down from the bigs to the minors so many times he had a flip over sign on his locker. And every time they tried him again he was worse than the time before, and that is hard to do.

They could survive with some of the newer blood they bought up late in the season, but not until they get a bullpen.

Night Owl
October 18th, 2014, 2:11 PM
The biggest mistake they made was letting Nolan go. He was the brains behind their run to the playoffs.

sojourner truth
October 18th, 2014, 3:27 PM
I think Nolan saw the writing on the wall, and the direction the Rangers were headed.

Their new GM is a dud, that's for sure.

I have never seen them this weak in just about every position. And their minor league clubs aren't sending them much help either.

Shoot, Round Rock probably has as many former big leaguers as the big league teams do.

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Sounds like the Indians used to be. Takes a few years to rebuild, but when they do they need to do it with young players. It takes 3-4 years for a rookie to usually develop. They seem to develop much faster in football and basketball - probably most of those guys play at least a couple or 3 years in college, whereas in baseball it is not unusual to sign some kid right out of high school. He tears up the rookie or Class A league but when gets to the majors finds out about breaking pitches. :)

LauraA
October 18th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I have to say, the young players on the Cardinals are looking good. We didn't have Yadier, which really hurt us. A good catcher is invaluable. I am sure we will be back next year. :thumbsup

sojourner truth
October 19th, 2014, 9:13 PM
Dream on... Like the plague, the Cardinals will be back. But just like the Plague, something good will cure it.

CenTexDave
October 20th, 2014, 1:52 PM
They are successful ball club. Just because they didn't make the World Series doesn't mean they are no good. There are another 28 teams or so who wish they were in their position.

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2014, 10:37 PM
Game 1 looks like it's going to the Giants. 7-1, bottom of the 9th now. :-s

LauraA
October 22nd, 2014, 12:00 AM
Dream on... Like the plague, the Cardinals will be back. But just like the Plague, something good will cure it.

Eleven, count them, eleven championships. Oh will be back, but we will next year. :thumbsup

LauraA
October 22nd, 2014, 12:02 AM

Actually, both my alma maters, Nebraska and Louisville both won this weekend. Yay!

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2014, 9:27 AM
See my reply under the college football section. :))

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2014, 10:16 PM
Royals gonna take game 2!! :)

Night Owl
October 22nd, 2014, 10:31 PM
Seems she doesn't know the difference between baseball and football.

LauraA
October 23rd, 2014, 12:08 AM
I am not watching it because my beloved Cardinals are not in it and I am still pouting. I will grudgingly admit that if someone has to win the world series, I guess another Missouri team would be OK.:|

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2014, 9:22 AM
I haven't watched much of it except bits and pieces. But things got interesting last night as both benches emptied, but cooler heads prevailed. At least we have a good, competitive world series.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2014, 8:59 PM
Game 3 - Royals up 3-0, 6th inning.

sojourner truth
October 24th, 2014, 9:03 PM
I was looking at and remembering the best part of that area... The sunsets and sunrises.

The new stadium is in Santa Clara, and only down the road from my home town... Not nearly as crowded as San Jose, but it used to be a nice area.

But it is still in the Granola state and therefore, not for me to visit ever again.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2014, 9:36 PM
3-2, Royals, bottom of the 7th.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Royals win, 3-2, lead the series 2 games to 1. :)

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Giants tied up the series last night by winning 11-4. Game was tied at 4 all until SF erupted.
Crucial game 5 tonight, then the series shifts back to KC. Neither teams wants to go into game six being behind.

sojourner truth
October 26th, 2014, 4:56 PM
Well, KC got stupid and left some really bad pitchers in a lot longer than they should have...

Sometimes I wonder if they don't pull this sort of junk so the series will stretch to the full 7 games and make everyone a bunch more money....

After watching KCs pitching last night, I was having "Black Sox" flashbacks.

fchafey
October 26th, 2014, 8:51 PM
I used to think I was one of the few that thoguht that as well. The announcers mentiond that if they were playing in KC, the crowd would have put pressure on the manager to get that pitcher out of there earlier. I hav esenn in in the NBA palyoffs alot, a team just quits and yes it is about the dollars, nothing like baseball in November and Hockey in June....

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2014, 8:16 AM
That James Shields is supposed to be KC's ace, but he hasn't pitched well at all in the post-season.

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2014, 3:08 PM
Well, the Royals just can't hit Bumgarner... They couldn't the first time they faced him, and they repeated that performance last night.

They better hope they don't see him again, or they will definitely lose the series.

The news says he has plenty of time to rest up after the series, so he should be good to go for at least one of the next 2 games.

If that's the case, KC can hang it up.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2014, 3:43 PM
Yep, but if they pitch him in game 7 (if there is a game 7) he would only have two days rest, so they might be able to finally get to him. Most of these guys are used to 4-5 days off between starts.
Of course if there is a game 7, you have to pull out all the stops. Use everyone - even the bat boy and those chicks that sit along the foul lines gathering foul balls. :)

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2014, 6:40 PM
Yep,,, I have even seen Davis Murphy pitch once when the Rangers ran out of relievers... Funniest thing was, the old first basemen did better than the bullpen regulars.

Like I said, I think they stretch the series out to all 7 games for monetary reasons.

After watching last nights strike call, I am beginning to suspect the umps are in on the deal.

LauraA
October 27th, 2014, 7:20 PM
The Giants were a way better team than I was expecting when they played the Cards. Speaking of the Cardinals, they lost one of their future stars :( Oscar Taveras was killed with his girlfriend in a car crash in the Dominican Republic. So sad because he could have been really great. He was only 22. Isn't fate weird? If the Cards had beat the Giants, he would have been playing in the world series instead of being back home.

Ludwig
October 27th, 2014, 8:48 PM
... Isn't fate weird? If the Cards had beat the Giants, he would have been playing in the world series instead of being back home.

If he'd a been born in Israel he'd... "Fate"... here I thought that you had professed a belief in G-d. Are you really that fickle? Sucks to depend on you.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2014, 9:07 PM
Did you see a pic of the car. 2014 Camaro - probably the 650 hp version. The thing was demolished.

fchafey
October 27th, 2014, 9:37 PM
Yep,,, I have even seen Davis Murphy pitch once when the Rangers ran out of relievers... Funniest thing was, the old first basemen did better than the bullpen regulars.

Like I said, I think they stretch the series out to all 7 games for monetary reasons.

After watching last nights strike call, I am beginning to suspect the umps are in on the deal.

If you are talking about the called strike to Bumgardner, I saw that and agree. Maybe that call was to pay homage to Don Dekinger.....

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2014, 7:48 PM
Game 7 - Royals are up early, 1-0, and have runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. Bottom of the 2nd inning.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2014, 8:05 PM
4-0, Royals. Still bottom of the 2nd, 2 outs, 2 on.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2014, 8:08 PM
6-0. Royals are having a helluva good time right now. :)

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2014, 8:42 PM
8-0, bottom of the 3rd, runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out.

fchafey
October 28th, 2014, 8:43 PM
The Royals are certainly taking it to the Giants tonight.The Spurs/Mavericks are on AFN Xtra right now. The news is the same crap as yesterday.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2014, 9:41 PM
Should definitely be a game 7. The Royals may wish they saved some of these runs for tomorrow night.

Night Owl
October 28th, 2014, 10:47 PM
KC 10-0. Game 7 tomorrow.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Game 7 tonight. Jeremy Guthrie (KC) vs Tim Hudson (SF). They met in game 3 which KC won 3-2.
All pitchers will be considered available tonight.
I watched the massacre last night. Royals had it going for them - soft hit bloops falling in there, ground balls with eyes to get out of the infield. I hope they saved some more for tonight.

mac
October 29th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Game 7 tonight. Jeremy Guthrie (KC) vs Tim Hudson (SF). They met in game 3 which KC won 3-2.
All pitchers will be considered available tonight.
I watched the massacre last night. Royals had it going for them - soft hit bloops falling in there, ground balls with eyes to get out of the infield. I hope they saved some more for tonight.

about a month ago I told some of the guys I play poker with that there just wasn't anyway that KC could win 2 in a row........but now I got a feeling they can do it. man oh man, that'd be something!.......one of my daughters and Sons in law will be at the game......they figure that everything included, it'll cost 'em $500........mac

sojourner truth
October 29th, 2014, 10:42 AM
That made me chuckle... I'm watching a series by Ken Burns on baseball... Just watched the segment where the people were rioting when the NL upped their rates from 25cents a game to 50cents... Yep... Hot dogs a nickel, beer a nickel...

During the depression, many men went to the ball game and made the hot dog and beer their only meal of the day. The Babe was famous for downing 6 or 8 dogs at a time along with a matching number of sodas or beers.

KC did great last night, but I get the feeling that the Giants are going to get desperate enough to pull their regular starter and put Bumgarner back in with only 3 days of rest...

Like the manager said... He's got all off season to rest. I get the impression Bumgarner wouldn't mind the duty either.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I imagine SF may do that also, especially if KC starts hitting Hudson early. Hudson is 39 years old, so shouldn't (hopefully) have much left in his tank.
I just hope KC's manager doesn't get a wild hair and does the same thing with Shields. He's been hit hard the entire post season.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 8:26 PM
Game 7 - tied 2-2, top of the 4th

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 9:55 PM
3-2, Giants, bottom of the 8th, and Bumgardner is still pitching for the Giants!!

fchafey
October 29th, 2014, 9:58 PM
Thank you, weather is skosh here today, satellite isnt working, so it is your updates and the ESPN refresh....

Rick
October 29th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Going to the bottom of the 9th, Bumgarner still pitching.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 10:16 PM
This Bumgarner is still in there. Came in the 4th or 5th and is still mowing them down. 1 out. C'mon KC!!!!!!!

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 10:17 PM
2 down. Damn

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Woohoo. A triple (on an error, but we'll take it!!)

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2014, 10:21 PM
It's over.
That is 3 world series in 5 years for SF.

fchafey
October 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Thank you for that, I was rooting for KC too. Dont know how many game Baumgartner has won this year, but I am sure he will be the series MVP and could get the Cy Young as well.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2014, 7:31 AM
I don't know either. Don't really follow baseball that much anymore. But Bumgarner sure pitched great in this series, and the Giants are as close to a dynasty as you can get these days.

sojourner truth
October 30th, 2014, 9:30 AM
Well, he has the best win record in over 100 years. The first ever 3 game world series winning pitcher, and the lowest ever WS era of .268...

If he doesn't get the MVP award he will surely be a hall of famer someday for this series alone. If he doesn't get MVP, then Panda bear should get it (Sandoval) for his clutch hitting and fielding in game 7 alone.

I'm starting to feel the same towards the Giants as I do about NY and the Cards. Time for someone new to win the series.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Yep, that's why most people were pulling for KC.
I thought there were other 3 game winners in World Series - Mickey Lolich of the Tigers decades ago? But this guy was the first one who started 2 games and won them, then relieved in a third game and won it. Superb performance. I figured he'd be tired and KC would be able to hit him, but I was wrong. Nasty breaking balls and fastballs in the 90's.
Now we get to wait about 2 weeks and see who gets MVP awards and Cy Young awards. I didn't follow the National League at all, so have no idea, but have my opinion about the American League awards. Chicago White Sox Jose Abrue had a great year. Not the best stats like Victor Martinez, but Martinez is nothing but a DH anymore. For the Cy Young I go with the Indians' Cory Kluber - tied for lead league with 18 wins, 3rd best ERA at 2.44 and second in K's.

sojourner truth
October 30th, 2014, 3:47 PM
And every time I see the Orioles worshipping the ground Nellie Cruz walks on I want to puke... I will never forgive him for his lack of effort to catch the last ball of the last out the rangers needed to win the series a few years ago....

There is no justice in baseball... Well, except maybe Davis Justice.

mac
October 30th, 2014, 3:57 PM
And every time I see the Orioles worshipping the ground Nellie Cruz walks on I want to puke... I will never forgive him for his lack of effort to catch the last ball of the last out the rangers needed to win the series a few years ago....

i'm with you on that one.......that was absolutely pathetic......mac

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2014, 5:46 PM

David Justice - played for the Braves and Indians. Former husband to Halle Berry. Not a bad career and personel life back then. :)

fchafey
October 30th, 2014, 9:16 PM
Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers will win the CY Young, he has the most wins and lowest ERA. He also hits very well, believe he has homered this year and it was a grand slam to boot. I love the National League, the pitcher hits and he should.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I'll go along with that. I never have liked the DH. Takes the suspense and some managerial brilliance (or ignorance) out of the game.

mac
October 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers will win the CY Young, he has the most wins and lowest ERA. He also hits very well, believe he has homered this year and it was a grand slam to boot. I love the National League, the pitcher hits and he should.

well, at least I agree regarding the DH part.....I don't know what it has to do with "suspense" but.make the pitcher take a cut at it.....mac

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM
Suspense being will they pull the pitcher for a pitch hitter? All the DH has managed to do is extend the playing careers of some old farts. Now Victor Martinez certainly could probably still catch a game each week and play at 1B, but he's hitting better than ever.

Night Owl
October 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM
I agree. Also the pitcher will think twice before throwing at someone. He might get to the plate the next inning. Lol

sojourner truth
October 31st, 2014, 6:05 PM
Yeah... Nothing worse than seeing a pitcher at the world series pick up a bat and wonder which end to grab on to.

fchafey
October 31st, 2014, 9:19 PM
Yeah... Nothing worse than seeing a pitcher at the world series pick up a bat and wonder which end to grab on to.

well that would be in the American League and some of those at bats have been pitiful. I also agree with the fact the pitcher has to stand at the plate and it makes him behave, kind of like when everyone has guns, people seem to behave a bit better and think twice befroe getting stupid.