PDA

View Full Version : Florida State QBs

CenTexDave
October 6th, 2014, 3:52 PM
I'm sure we all remember last season when Jameis Winston was arrested on suspected rape but the district attorney did not indict or prosecute. Now it seems his counterpart at Florida, a backup, has been arrested for sexual assault:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11653329/treon-harris-florida-gators-suspended-indefinitely-legal-matter

Might just be a problem at Florida universities. Of course I'm sure this one will slide through the cracks also. Just shows the integrity of the DA and the coaches.

cnjbond
October 6th, 2014, 5:13 PM
Nah, he's just a backup so I'm sure he'll be prosecuted!

CenTexDave
October 6th, 2014, 5:51 PM
In all fairness to the University of Florida, they immediately suspended him from all football team activities.
Florida State never did a thing to Winston. OMG, might alter the outcome of the National Championship game. But from what I understand, this is still under investigation mainly because the "victim" in the case will not let it die.

gnatsum
October 6th, 2014, 6:02 PM
Had a discussion about this with some of my friends over dinner last night. One of them surmised that colleges get away with stuff like that because the local media--TV, radio, newspapers--do NOT want to do anything to 'disrupt' life at the local university. They'll sit on stories, trash-can them, or file them away in some dark corner, rather than expose the bad things that are going on.
Flordia media is supposedly the "worst" in exposing local athletes' societal transgressions. They won't do it. lest the school's alumni who are now business owners, immediately end their advertising there...
Rumors abound that this goes "on" in EVERY 'university town'--even in Austin and Bryan/College Station.

CenTexDave
October 6th, 2014, 6:25 PM
Doesn't go on in Columbus - look at those players suspended for trading their jerseys for tattoos.
I agree you have to have caution, but in Winston's case he should have been suspended - period.

fchafey
October 6th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Doesn't go on in Columbus - look at those players suspended for trading their jerseys for tattoos.
I agree you have to have caution, but in Winston's case he should have been suspended - period.

Doesnt go on in Columbus anymore but hey have had theoir issues as well, there was some genius rolling around with all kind sof guns and seem to remember a fellow named Art Schlister (sp?)......they all are and have been dirty. Penn State I would say went the cleanest longest, but when they got busted they really took the prize. Made some almost forget about the SMU death penalty.

CenTexDave
October 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Schlichter didn't do anything until he turned pro, and it was a gambling problem, not sexual assault stuff.
Jim Tressel got fired because he lied to the athletic director. He should have known better, and he has stated was the dumbest thing he ever did. Although I do agree Tressel recruited some thugs that most coaches wouldn't touch - Pryor was one and he was involved in that tattoo for jersey mess, and that other guy, Maurice Clarett who was a RB, played only his freshman year but was really good. He sure screwed his life up - armed robbery, prison, etc. Urban Meyer doesn't stand for any player's crap - much like Charlie Strong - and will suspend a player at the drop of a hat. And it hurt his team at times to have that player not on the field.

fchafey
October 7th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Yes Clarett, thank you. Being the faithful Nittany Lion fan, I have to say that Urban Myer will soon get his boys back together much before PSU. I also think it will take Charlie Strong about 3 years as well. Hopefully he doent cave to the wishes of the checkbook holders.

CenTexDave
October 8th, 2014, 8:43 AM
I thought the Nittany Lions had most of that punishment dropped finally and can now go to bowl games, etc. Jim Franklin is a good coach and will have them turned around fast. I still think the way Joe Paterno was treated was criminal, and the punishments handed down to PSU by the NCAA was a crock. That was discussed on this forum a few years ago - I was in the minority. What Sandusky did certainly was terrible, but had nothing to do with student athletes which is what the NCAA is supposed to monitor. It was a civil matter, not a football matter.

fchafey
October 8th, 2014, 9:51 PM
I thought the same for JoePa too. Until I read where he stated words or words to the effect of "I reported something amiss about Coach Sandusky to the Director and left it with him, it was his job to do somehting about it" I thought that was a cop out. JoePa owned PA much like Pete Carroll did at USC, Woody Hayes OSU, Bo Shembeckler etc....... If Coach Paterno needed to fire someone I certainly think he could have done so. PSU is 4-1, they could get a bowl this year and PSU is a school that travels well. Oregon is a media darling because thy too travel well. I suspect PSU earning a bwol bid albeit a lesser bowl will make some good money for all involved. Went to the Alamo Bowl and it was loaded woth PSU fans years ago.