PDA

View Full Version : We are exploding!

Scarlett
May 31st, 2009, 3:17 PM
In one day last week, we added 22 usernames! I believe it was the Just heard..principal updates here...thread that did that. On that same day, we broke a record for the most users ever online in a 24 hour period. We currently have 599 usernames registered. At one point on Friday, we had 70 people viewing the KISD topics at the same time. Unbelievable! We just had to increase our bandwith....AGAIN!!!
Everyday, we are proving that this is the place to find the information you need.

Looking forward to that 600th user today!

Love ya guys!

~S~

Sapphirelover
May 31st, 2009, 6:32 PM
In one day last week, we added 22 usernames! I believe it was the Just heard..principal updates here...thread that did that. On that same day, we broke a record for the most users ever online in a 24 hour period. We currently have 599 usernames registered. At one point on Friday, we had 70 people viewing the KISD topics at the same time. Unbelievable! We just had to increase our bandwith....AGAIN!!!
Everyday, we are proving that this is the place to find the information you need.

Looking forward to that 600th user today!

Love ya guys!

~S~

If I sign up as a new user with a ficticious name, what would I win if I was #600???? A car?, a new house? $100 gift certificate to Walmart?????

kantwin
May 31st, 2009, 10:19 PM
Check page 42 of the CenTexTalk catalog...LOL.
Sorry, Scarlettt, just couldn't resist.

Phantomwarrior
May 31st, 2009, 11:06 PM
Congratulations. You've done a wonderful thing with this forum. It has success because it deserves success.

Charles Grubb
June 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
The other place has 601 signed up to be users.
Many of that number have deserted them to come here.
That includes, yours truly.
CenTextalk now has 606 practicing users.
Congratulations!

Katt
June 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for a space to give my opinion without being professional and reserved.

Texas Immigrant
June 3rd, 2009, 4:13 PM
There's so much going on here now, I don't even read it all. I used to read every thread, at least in the KISD section, now I can't even do that!!!

Scarlett
June 3rd, 2009, 9:10 PM
I know what you mean TI! I used to read absolutely everything...Now I will get a PM with a complaint from a user about "so and so is picking on me" and I don't know what the hell they are talking about...I have to go look for it! Haha.

And Katt...you are more than welcome! I love it too...even though nearly everyone at Ellison knows who I am now....I am still somewhat more un-reserved (Is that a word? should there be a hyphen? Is someone going to correct me on that?) here than I am in my real life. But I rather like having a split personality.

CenTexDave
June 3rd, 2009, 9:41 PM
If "we're exploding" let's have a detonation party!!:)

Texas Immigrant
June 3rd, 2009, 9:47 PM
I know what you mean TI! I used to read absolutely everything...Now I will get a PM with a complaint from a user about "so and so is picking on me" and I don't know what the hell they are talking about...I have to go look for it! Haha....

I can't believe people pm you about that. CB and NO often say mean things to me, but I wouldn't pm you about that. (But I guess I just put it on blast -isn't that what the kids say?) :)

Night Owl
June 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have never said anything mean to anyone. Not my style.:):)

Scarlett
June 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hahaha TI...you would be surprised at some of the PM's Rick and I get...hahahahaha.

Scarlett
June 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I have never said anything mean to anyone. Not my style.:):)

I call bull****.

Rick
June 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hahaha TI...you would be surprised at some of the PM's Rick and I get...hahahahaha.
I get nice PM's...some not so nice. Someone recently told me that I could go do something to myself and that wasn't very nice. :crying I'm not going to do what he suggested.

Night Owl
June 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I call bull****.

Come on Scarlett, I'm not being mean.:):)

Scarlett
June 4th, 2009, 6:30 AM
Come on Scarlett, I'm not being mean.:):)

Not today, not yet! Keep it up! :thumbsup

cityboy
June 4th, 2009, 9:31 AM
If "we're exploding" let's have a detonation party!!:)

I think we should have a party sometime this summer ... maybe in the evening at the park somewhere ... unless I would be in danger of physical violence :-0

Scarlett
June 4th, 2009, 9:46 AM
We might need to plan that. It could be fun. Should we wear nametags or masks? LOL.

cityboy
June 4th, 2009, 9:51 AM
I don't know ... name tags would make it too easy(?) A little guessing, at least for awhile, might be fun ... :-B

Texas Immigrant
June 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
We could wear numbers and then people try to match user names with numbers after mingling for a while.

Night Owl
June 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hey TI, I love that idea. I want #69!!!!!

Texas Immigrant
June 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hey TI, I love that idea. I want #69!!!!!

:shock::puke:

Scarlett
June 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I will put some more serious thought into this idea after school is out!

FieryPrincess
June 6th, 2009, 8:45 PM
do it fast before I move!

It could be like a picnic where everyone brings their own stuff - or a potluck...

just mingle and enjoy!

Charles Grubb
June 6th, 2009, 9:15 PM
If you have a party, better hire off duty cops!
:)) :unsure: :) :-)

Scarlett
June 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
do it fast before I move!

It could be like a picnic where everyone brings their own stuff - or a potluck...

just mingle and enjoy!

That is what I was thinking would be fun.
When are you leaving?

Texas Immigrant
June 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
OK, it's official. We now have more users than the other place! Scarlett was looking forward to our 600th member on May 31, as of right now, just moments into June 7, we have 653 users!!!! Let's get ready to party!!

FieryPrincess
June 7th, 2009, 7:01 AM
I am moving as soon as this house sells!

Anyone know someone who wants a open floor-plan house on a large lot in a great neighborhood walking distance to a park?

THEMEANOGRE
June 7th, 2009, 7:36 AM
I would request that we do this party at the Cove city park. That or during the day on a weekday. Then I'd be able to attend. Or even better, there is park land, right behind our house along a power company right of way. A number of groups use it regularly during various sport's seasons.

Texas Immigrant
June 9th, 2009, 7:02 PM
We're getting close to member 666, I wonder what their sign on name will be? Satan? :FIREdevil:

CenTexDave
June 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Latest stats on our beloved board vs the Kommunist Daily Herald's message forum:

Total posts: Us - 25763, Them - 17583
Total topics: Us - 2075, Them - 1102
Members: Us - 667, Them - 610

And just think, this all came about because two people got tired of the KDH's censorship and especially that article on the lady and her kid who lied their way into the Plaza Hotel!! :):))

FieryPrincess
June 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
for the want of a nail...

(so to speak)

richard dick young
June 11th, 2009, 3:33 PM
are yall gonna buy the city motto and be the
BLOG WITHOUT LIMITS?

got kind of a ring to it dont it.

i am glad we are all here and we can have a place like this to share open and honest
dialog without censorship.

hats off to every one great job kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scarlett
June 11th, 2009, 3:46 PM
To keep it honest, we have had to delete a post here and there! But at least we always let the person know, and try to make them understand why!

Rick
June 11th, 2009, 4:52 PM
Ya, kinda sort of, after like the 5th time, for the same reason, I stop explaining and just delete.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Edited to add: No we don't like doing it, but we try to strike a balance between the poster's "right" to speak and what the readers really want to wade through to get to the topic. If it is too burdensome, because of the off-topic banter, we risk losing them. If we are too restrictive, we risk losing the poster. We don't like losing anyone.

Night Owl
June 23rd, 2009, 4:39 PM
Okay, since we have passed the number, who is member 666????????

circle_c
June 23rd, 2009, 5:16 PM
:clap Yes, again I say thanks Rick and Scarlett. I don't think you thought this would be the blog without limits when it started, as Dick Young tagged it above. But it appears you have started a monitoring point for some of the council members also along with fun, good tips and topics that get very interesting at times . That's a good thing... I think.. Good job.

Scarlett
June 23rd, 2009, 7:57 PM
Thank you circle. It has been a "journey" that I am truly enjoying.

Rick
June 23rd, 2009, 8:03 PM
Thank you circle. It has been a "journey" that I am truly enjoying.
Same here!!!

Rick
June 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Okay, since we have passed the number, who is member 666????????
Well, the number is kind of skewed. The number listed on the bottom of the page only lists those who have completely verified their account. Officially, user #666 is called RoyB and he did confirm his email.

Scarlett
June 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hahaha. I knew a boy named Roy in high school...HE could have qualified for 666.

Welcome RoyB. Hope you are not overly superstitious.

THEMEANOGRE
June 24th, 2009, 6:05 AM
Dave, in comparing the two sites, remember the other site did shut down, clean everything out and start from scratch.

FieryPrincess
June 24th, 2009, 6:57 AM
We still started after all of that.

Night Owl
June 24th, 2009, 8:57 AM
Well, the number is kind of skewed. The number listed on the bottom of the page only lists those who have completely verified their account. Officially, user #666 is called RoyB and he did confirm his email.
RoyB is #666. I will have to remember that.:)

Night Owl
July 10th, 2009, 1:48 PM
Over 750!!!!!!

Rick and Scarlett are awesome!!!! Maybe KDH should hire ya'll.

Mestral
July 11th, 2009, 1:17 PM
Your member list shows 715 today, but what
I saw when I did a search for members who
have posted over 25 times ...

I found 113 members who have posted
over 25 times each (that weeds out the
hit and run guys).

I think that is awesome, since I have
been on international forums that
did not get that kind of participation.

Rick
July 11th, 2009, 3:34 PM
I never looked at it like that Mestral. I know that we have inflated member numbers due to the fact that we require membership to read. I am not sure if I ever explained why we do that but I will now.

We want to encourage participation. If a guest is reading a topic and something fires them up, they probably will calm down by the time they go through the membership process. If they are already a member, and they get fired up, they have a quick reply box staring them in a face, then BAM, they are participating and we have another opinion added to the topic and that is what we want.

What I am amazed at are the number of people who visit daily. During the week, we have 200 members visit daily. During the weekends, this drops to the 150-180 range, then starts to pick up on Sunday evening.

It is fun to watch.

Texas Immigrant
July 11th, 2009, 5:42 PM
I'm having fun running into people that say they post on here. I'm trying to figure out who they are. I know I'll never make a good detective or spy, because I'm sure I'll never figure it out. Oh well, it's fun trying.

Mestral
July 15th, 2009, 6:57 PM
I think whatever you guys did to make any thread I reply to a "subscribed" thread is awesome. Thanks. That makes my own administrative work much easier, since all I have to do is check my "subscriptions" when I arrive, by clicking on "User CP" at the top of the page.

Scarlett
July 16th, 2009, 2:41 PM
It is handy huh!?!

Rick
July 16th, 2009, 3:28 PM
Not too hard, it was one of the default settings...You can even set the subscription to email you when there's a reply.

Phantomwarrior
July 16th, 2009, 9:36 PM
Over 750!!!!!!

Rick and Scarlett are awesome!!!! Maybe KDH should hire ya'll.

I concur on everything except stay right were you are.

Texas Immigrant
August 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
We're getting closer to 1,000!! I bet we get there by the end of September.

CenTexDave
August 21st, 2009, 4:56 AM
The last post on the "other forum" was made on Aug 9!!!!!!!!!!

THEMEANOGRE
August 21st, 2009, 6:59 AM
For the last couple days, I haven't been able to open their webpage.

CenTexDave
August 21st, 2009, 7:31 AM
I can't get the KDHnews.com website to open this morning.
Maybe they went out of business!!:):))

circle_c
August 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Haven't had a problem this morn. wishful thinking

CenTexDave
August 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
I just was able to get into their website. Of course, nothing new in the paper. Of note is an article about Nolanville's three ring circus and how they found a $200K accounting error. I believe Channel 25's Natasha Chen reported on this Wednesday.

kantwin
August 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Maybe they are taking the time to verify stories?

Mestral
August 22nd, 2009, 5:25 PM
Nowadays your website can be knocked off line by a glitch in a computer a thousand miles away and that you have never heard of. I am not so sure this is progress.

"Life was simple before World War II. After that, we had systems."
-- Dr. Grace Murray Hopper, Admiral, US Navy, first woman programmer

Texas Immigrant
August 29th, 2009, 5:17 PM
We're getting closer to 1,000!! I bet we get there by the end of September.

Just checked, we are at 951. I bet we'll be OVER 1000 by the end of September. That ad in the KDH and on the TV news probably boosted us some!!

poundpup
August 29th, 2009, 5:35 PM
Das ist ja ganz fantastisch!!

:)):thumbsup

Scarlett
August 29th, 2009, 6:10 PM
We added almost 20 new users just yesterday and early this morning.
And we had 35 GUESTS online right after the news yesterday.

Rick
August 29th, 2009, 6:20 PM
17 yesterday and 13 so far today. The good news about that is some of them have already joined in on the discussions.

Welcome to everyone checking us out for the first time.

Mestral
September 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Another important milestone.

Checking the user list for those who have posted messages
CenTexTalk has 164 who have posted 20 or more times
KDHForums has only 80 who have posted 20 or more times

That is better than 2 to 1,

and it filters out all the bots, spammers, and others
who really aren't interested in what is going on here.

One reason I never got interested in Topix discussions was there
were to many people from outside the area just dropping one or
two messages in and having nothing to do with real issues.

Gramps
September 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Another important milestone.

Checking the user list for those who have posted messages
CenTexTalk has 164 who have posted 20 or more times
KDHForums has only 80 who have posted 20 or more times

That is better than 2 to 1,

and it filters out all the bots, spammers, and others
who really aren't interested in what is going on here.

Don't have time to research it right now, but I wonder how many of the 80 are also part of the 164. My bet would be more than 90%.

Texas Immigrant
September 11th, 2009, 9:46 PM
OK, It's not even mid September and we are OVER 1000. Who was the 1000th member?

Night Owl
September 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Over 450 have posted ZERO times. Do they count?

Texas Immigrant
September 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
How were you able to find that out?

Night Owl
September 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Click on community then click members list. Order from high to low or low to high. There are 30 names per page and 14 plus pages are members with ZERO posts. Just checked there are 16 pages plus 11 on page 17 that have zero posts. So actually there are 491 members with zero posts.

Texas Immigrant
September 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
OK, Thanks

Mestral
September 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Rick mentioned that he knew the numbers would be inflated somewhat by the fact that you have to register to read here. That is why I went with the number that had posed 20 or more times. I do some work in the international forums, and we always have some hit and run guys that take a pot shot at us and then are never heard from again. One of the jobs I have is to remove all the "members" from one set of forums that never ever posted. We have a problem with "bots" getting through our automated defenses, so it runs into several per week. We settled on, when the new account looks like it could be legit, we give it 60 days. If they don't post, they get dropped.

Rick
September 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I get an occasional bot. But I delete them and then check the IP. Usually, it is from India or some place like that, so I just ban the IP at the server level and they never come back.

As for those who don't post and deleting accounts, I don't plan on doing that yet. I suppose I could look at the last activity date, but not too worried about it at this point.

Phantomwarrior
September 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Click on community then click members list. Order from high to low or low to high. There are 30 names per page and 14 plus pages are members with ZERO posts. Just checked there are 16 pages plus 11 on page 17 that have zero posts. So actually there are 491 members with zero posts.

Some of those are probably the good ol' boy power brokers who are checking to see what is going on but unwilling to contribute to the discussion. But, better they know then not know.

Rick
September 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Excellent point PW.

FieryPrincess
September 12th, 2009, 8:53 PM
I agree.

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2009, 8:34 PM
Yeah, Owl, but you and me make up for those lost souls.

Night Owl
September 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
At least we try.

Rick
September 21st, 2009, 9:24 PM
Today, we went over 50,000 messages posted.

JoAnn Purser
September 23rd, 2009, 6:01 AM
We have a problem with "bots" getting through our automated defenses, so it runs into several per week.

What's a "bot" ?

JoAnn

Rick
September 23rd, 2009, 7:37 AM
Little automated programs that crawl all over the Internet.

There are several types. Some are from search sites and they just get information about what is posted for reference purposes. Those are fine.

The one's we worry about, sign up as real users, then spam the site with their ads. We don't like them.

TheOldProgrammer
September 23rd, 2009, 8:00 AM
Here's a simple explanation JoAnn :smoke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot#Malicious_purposes

Texas Immigrant
February 4th, 2010, 7:45 PM
Last I looked our membership said 1234. I thought that was pretty cool! Thanks txfiveo

Rick
February 4th, 2010, 9:13 PM
LOL Well our first year's numbers were pretty impressive.

Averaged 2.5 million hits per month and almost 16,000 page loads per day.

This year is off to a robust start as well.

Thanks all!

THEMEANOGRE
February 4th, 2010, 9:35 PM
You're welcome, Rick. And I pledge to try to continue doing my part to maintain our numbers. :13:;)

Janet
February 14th, 2010, 4:45 PM
If I sign up as a new user with a ficticious name, what would I win if I was #600???? A car?, a new house? $100 gift certificate to Walmart?????
To tell you the truth, you'd win a $100 Montgomery Ward gift card.:))

Texas Immigrant
February 14th, 2010, 5:59 PM
Good Ole' Monkey Wards

prideworks
February 16th, 2010, 5:37 AM
Good Ole' Monkey Wards

I miss Monkey Wards, they usually had good tire deals.

prideworks
February 16th, 2010, 5:38 AM
LOL Well our first year's numbers were pretty impressive.

Averaged 2.5 million hits per month and almost 16,000 page loads per day.

This year is off to a robust start as well.

Thanks all!

You and Scarlett do good work Rick. I see discussion sites where the moderators rarely attend except to boot someone...

Rick
February 16th, 2010, 5:44 AM
Thank you.

cnjbond
February 20th, 2010, 7:48 PM
Good Ole' Monkey Wards
Wow, I haven't heard the term "Monkey Wards" in ages...thanks for the flashback TI.

Janet
February 21st, 2010, 4:26 PM
I was thinking about using te term "Monkey Wards", but I didn't know if anybody would remember the term.

kisdparent
February 21st, 2010, 9:29 PM
Yes indeed!

Texas Immigrant
February 21st, 2010, 9:38 PM
That's what my dad would call it, I think when I was a kid I thought that was its real name.