PDA

View Full Version : Please be Respectful

Night Owl
September 7th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Rick and Dave are in mourning. Their beloved Zero State University North lost to lowly Virginia Tech Saturday by 14 points. Hopefully they will be available for comment at a later date.

Dear Lord forgive me but I couldn't help myself.

Rick
September 7th, 2014, 3:53 AM
LOL

BYU 41
Texas Longhorns 7

Where should I send your flowers?

I learned long ago that big time sports is not worth losing sleep over.

On the other hand...

UMHB Crusaders 43
Millsaps 7

Life's good!

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2014, 4:35 AM
Lowly VA Tech? True, they weren't ranked but they appeared pretty good to me.
How about some of these other powerhouse opponents for college football's top teams:
A&M played Lamar, Mizzou an Toledo, Oklahoma and Tulsa, Alabama and Florida Atlantic, Florida State and The Citadel, Baylor and Northwestern State. Yeah, real tough opponents.
But I admit that Ohio State has a lot of work to do. Their offensive line sucks. Their kicking game sucks. Their pass defense still sucks. The only reason they were ranked that high at the start of the season was because of Braxton Miller. Now that he's out it's obvious they aren't very good without him, although I don't think he would have able to make a difference last night.
The Citadel? I thought they terminated their football program. :)

Night Owl
September 7th, 2014, 12:02 PM
OSU would have had a tuff time beating the Citadel yesterday. They didn't look good at all. This might be VA Techs only win this season.:))

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2014, 1:05 PM
I doubt that, but I do admit Ohio State did not look good. You are supposed to improve 100% from your first to your second game. They regressed.

Night Owl
September 7th, 2014, 4:08 PM
Yea, I think Texas regressed more than 100%. They should have stayed at home.

fchafey
September 7th, 2014, 10:50 PM
They were at home, in fact it iwas the worst home loss in DKR Stadium since 1997....

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2014, 4:50 AM
New rankings are out. How in the hell does Florida State remain number one? The played The Citadel and didn't overwhelm them at all.
Alabama and Oklahoma rolled their over matched opponents as they should have, and Oregon looked impressive in wearing out a good Michigan State team.

sojourner truth
September 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Yet Baylor has moved from number 10 to number 8 in the rankings. And that was after the total butt thrumping they gave North Western State.

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2014, 1:50 PM
I don't know why Northwestern State even bothers playing Baylor every year. Every year it's the same result, and it always will be.
Someday the NCAA may stop these powerhouses from playing these patsies from the 1-AA and Div II. I know the little guys love the big paydays, but it should be prohibited.

LauraA
September 8th, 2014, 11:38 PM
LOL

BYU 41
Texas Longhorns 7

Where should I send your flowers?

I learned long ago that big time sports is not worth losing sleep over.

On the other hand...

UMHB Crusaders 43
Millsaps 7

Life's good!

I would also like to add that North Texas clobbered SMU. They held them scoreless to the end and scored so many touchdowns, they had to go get more ammunition for the cannon, lol.

LauraA
September 8th, 2014, 11:39 PM
New rankings are out. How in the hell does Florida State remain number one? The played The Citadel and didn't overwhelm them at all.
Alabama and Oklahoma rolled their over matched opponents as they should have, and Oregon looked impressive in wearing out a good Michigan State team.

I saw where Nebraska fell out, even though they won (barely over McNeese State.) They have to do better than that. Louisville moved up though :)

CenTexDave
September 9th, 2014, 6:38 AM
The Big Ten has gone down in flames the past two weeks. Started first with Wisconsin - had a big lead over LSU at halftime, then decided to get cute and stop running the ball and LSU won. Notre Dame stomped Michigan - first shutout in decades. Then Ohio State fell, and Michigan State had a lead over Oregon but couldn't make it last. Purdue and Northwestern lost to mediocre opponents. Oh well, Penn State won. :))

fchafey
September 9th, 2014, 6:42 AM
Pennn State's ban on post season games has been lifted effective immediately too....

Night Owl
September 9th, 2014, 8:08 AM
I would also like to add that North Texas clobbered SMU. They held them scoreless to the end and scored so many touchdowns, they had to go get more ammunition for the cannon, lol.
Who cares. Seems like no one but you.

Night Owl
September 9th, 2014, 8:09 AM
I saw where Nebraska fell out, even though they won (barely over McNeese State.) They have to do better than that. Louisville moved up though :)
See my last post.

CenTexDave
September 9th, 2014, 9:13 AM
I'm glad North Texas won, but I'm beginning to wonder what the hell has happened to SMU? Their head coach, June Jones, has been successful wherever he has been. Former NFL QB, had Hawaii churning out high powered offenses, then went to SMU. They have been half decent the past few years, but this is two blow-out losses in a row. The Stone Ponies from the days of Eric Dickerson and Craig James seems a century ago.

fchafey
September 9th, 2014, 9:15 AM
June Jones has resigned from SMU effective today.

CenTexDave
September 9th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Wow. Maybe UT should hire him. :)

LauraA
September 9th, 2014, 3:22 PM
I'm glad North Texas won, but I'm beginning to wonder what the hell has happened to SMU? Their head coach, June Jones, has been successful wherever he has been. Former NFL QB, had Hawaii churning out high powered offenses, then went to SMU. They have been half decent the past few years, but this is two blow-out losses in a row. The Stone Ponies from the days of Eric Dickerson and Craig James seems a century ago.

I don't know. They played a really bad game. The commentators mentioned that the coach was really good. Maybe the team is young, who knows? They haven't been a powerhouse since the NCAA gave them the death penalty years ago.

cnjbond
September 9th, 2014, 4:59 PM

He has to compete with the SEC, t.u., Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, & Ok State for the Texas talent and the talent outside the state doesn't really want to play for SMU. He had an uphill fight trying to find diamonds in the rough to compete with the big boys.

CenTexDave
September 9th, 2014, 5:08 PM
He did turn the program around and at least get them to some bowl games. Last year they went 5 - 7 I think - were 5-4 and looking decent then it all fell apart. I guess he's had enough.

gnatsum
September 9th, 2014, 5:46 PM
And did I see that Notre Dame blew out Michigan, 31-0?
Yikes...
Tis the season of the unexpected!

CenTexDave
September 9th, 2014, 6:12 PM
Michigan, perhaps more than any big name team, has fallen faster and further than any. Their problem really started when head coach Lloyd Carr retired. They hired Rich Rodriguez who ran that fast tempo spread and the Wolverines didn't have the personnel to play that offense. And they never were able to recruit players for it. He gets tossed so they hire a former player and alumnus who was San Diego State's head coach. Now left with half-ass remnants of a run and shoot, he didn't have the personnel to go back and run a pro set like they used to.
But I think the Big Ten is really facing problems. Kids these days don't want to go to the frozen tundra - would rather play in the warm climates of the SEC. Recruiting is everything and while those schools up north heavily recruit Texas, Florida, etc., most of the kids want to stay nearer home. While they still land kids from down south, they don't land enough of the high quality ones. Urban Meyer seems to get many quality recruits from down south, but IMHO he needs a new defensive coordinator and needs one quick.

fchafey
September 9th, 2014, 9:50 PM
Exactly, would you rather play in Lincoln, Nebraska or Talahassee? I have listened to many a college sports talk show personality lament the fact that they take these kids to South Beach, or the Gulf and show them all the sights a 17 year old might want to see, along with the warm weather and cool nights. The SEC is the premier conference in college football and has been for the last 5-6 years. Get used to it, times change and right now the best football is in the south east. I am not to happy about that either seeings I have donated a few bags of money to UT and U of H as well as being a Penn State fan growing up.

Ludwig
September 9th, 2014, 9:53 PM
I would rather play in Lincoln, Nebraska and watch in Talahassee, Florida. The season is over before the really cold weather hits Nebraska and you can always add more clothing. In Talahassee there is a limit to how much clothing they will let you take off...

CenTexDave
September 10th, 2014, 7:16 AM
Amen. Tallahassee? That's Florida State and they're not in the SEC, but they do resemble the SEC with the amount of criminals they let play after a half-a$$ed investigation.

fchafey
September 10th, 2014, 9:27 AM
Oh yea, thats right, I guess Miami isnt in the SEC either, I can be such an idiot at times....

LauraA
September 10th, 2014, 2:01 PM
Exactly, would you rather play in Lincoln, Nebraska or Talahassee? I have listened to many a college sports talk show personality lament the fact that they take these kids to South Beach, or the Gulf and show them all the sights a 17 year old might want to see, along with the warm weather and cool nights. The SEC is the premier conference in college football and has been for the last 5-6 years. Get used to it, times change and right now the best football is in the south east. I am not to happy about that either seeings I have donated a few bags of money to UT and U of H as well as being a Penn State fan growing up.

NEBRASKA!!!!!! It is a state tradition for those lads to go to the holy grail of football in the state. They have sold out every game since 1964. You literally have to wait for someone to die to get tickets. It is the only sport in the state and hands down has the best fans of any team. Want me to sing the school song? lol

sojourner truth
September 10th, 2014, 3:34 PM
Nebraska? What state is that in?:))

CenTexDave
September 10th, 2014, 3:50 PM
I wish they wouldn't have left the Big 12. One of the best college games ever was on Thanksgiving Day, 1972 (?) - Nebraska and Oklahoma.

fchafey
September 10th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Nebraska V. Penn State 1982, six of us living in the barracks, Finthen Germany, all Privates, Huey Crew Chiefs in the 8th ID, listening to the game on AFN. Never will forget that, fellow named Curt Warner. Awesome game. Bit it too flipping cold up there in Lincoln!

LauraA
September 11th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I agree. My husband had a recruiting command there. The winters are brutal, but spring and fall, my gosh how I miss fall and football and that chill in the air. Plus Lincoln is really a wonderful city. One of those great little secrets. Low unemployment, low crime, well planned. My daughter used to call it Mayberry.

fchafey
September 11th, 2014, 3:11 AM
My room mate in 82 was from Lincoln, Nebraska. Lived on Devonshire Lane. My wife's old Section Sergeant is now a retired 1SG lives in Omaha and works at Offutt. We trade barbs about the weather every year. I sned him pictures of the wife and I playing golf or motorcycle riding in December and he sends me pictures of him and his wife enjoying cool simmer nights. It is all good.

LauraA
September 19th, 2014, 1:06 PM
My room mate in 82 was from Lincoln, Nebraska. Lived on Devonshire Lane. My wife's old Section Sergeant is now a retired 1SG lives in Omaha and works at Offutt. We trade barbs about the weather every year. I sned him pictures of the wife and I playing golf or motorcycle riding in December and he sends me pictures of him and his wife enjoying cool simmer nights. It is all good.

Oh my gosh, I lived on Hallshire Ct., which was near Devonshire (that whole subdivision had British like road names.) The winters are brutal, but the rest of the year makes up for it. It is so green. I have to admit, I do that to my family in St. Louis during the winter, lol.

CenTexDave
September 19th, 2014, 2:22 PM
British names? It's probably over run with Muslims by now.

LauraA
September 22nd, 2014, 6:49 PM
I know few people follow North Texas but they beat their opponent Connell St. (?) 77-3 or something like that. Their team has had better recruiting since they went to a bowl last year.
Nebraska won, yay! They were celebrating 20 years of their 1994 national championship, so it is good they won.
Surprised but happy with the Mississippi St. vs LSU results, although I didn't realize what bad sports LSU fans were. They were leaving before the game was even over.

kantwin
September 22nd, 2014, 7:35 PM
I know few people follow North Texas but they beat their opponent Connell St. (?) 77-3 or something like that. Their team has had better recruiting since they went to a bowl last year.
Nebraska won, yay! They were celebrating 20 years of their 1994 national championship, so it is good they won.
Surprised but happy with the Mississippi St. vs LSU results, although I didn't realize what bad sports LSU fans were. They were leaving before the game was even over.
I saw those empty seats as well. Missed an "almost" comeback, that made it sort of exciting.

CenTexDave
September 22nd, 2014, 7:55 PM
Coppell St? Division II school or FCS school I think.
I loved seeing LSU go down, and Clemson killed themselves in the FSU game.

kantwin
September 22nd, 2014, 7:56 PM
Coppell St? Division II school or FCS school I think.
I loved seeing LSU go down, and Clemson killed themselves in the FSU game.

Any day LSU loses is a good day.

cnjbond
September 22nd, 2014, 8:27 PM
Any day LSU loses is a good day.

Amen to that and Bama!!! :)

CenTexDave
September 22nd, 2014, 8:38 PM
Something tells me not going to see that of the Tide this year.
But these polls are nuts - FSU just survives. Sure, their QB didn't play, but their defense did and Clemson should have won that game. Oregon had to come from behind against Wash State. Wash State!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet today's poll comes out and they remain 1 and 2. B.S.

kantwin
September 22nd, 2014, 8:44 PM
Something tells me not going to see that of the Tide this year. But these polls are nuts - FSU just survives. Sure, their QB didn't play, but their defense did and Clemson should have won that game. Oregon had to come from behind against Wash State. Wash State!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet today's poll comes out and they remain 1 and 2. B.S.
Yeah, Alabama should be #1.

LauraA
September 23rd, 2014, 11:34 PM
Seriously, what is up with the polls? Mississippi State went from not even being ranked to #14 just for beating LSU? I am not saying they are not a good team, but come on.

CenTexDave
September 24th, 2014, 6:18 AM
They are undefeated. Just another of the media's darling SEC teams. They'll be long forgotten when they finally lose.