PDA

View Full Version : Dove Hunting

Grammar Rules
August 30th, 2014, 6:37 PM
The season doesn't start until Labor Day this year, according to the TPWD site, but some enthusiast is firing away. Waste of ammunition? Or is he sighting his rifle? Either way, the cowardly dog had to come in. Sigh.

CenTexDave
August 30th, 2014, 7:36 PM
Might be shooting at some Muslims. :)

Grammar Rules
August 30th, 2014, 7:40 PM
You ARE in Cove, aren't you?
Here's where I am at the moment, and I see no Muslims or grumpy old men.:))

Grammar Rules
August 30th, 2014, 7:48 PM
Darned iPhone. Well you get the idea.

Night Owl
August 30th, 2014, 7:53 PM
The season doesn't start until Labor Day this year, according to the TPWD site, but some enthusiast is firing away. Waste of ammunition? Or is he sighting his rifle? Either way, the cowardly dog had to come in. Sigh.
Can we Dove hunt on your place. If we see any Muslims or grumpy old men we will be sure to mistake them for a bird.:))

mac
August 30th, 2014, 8:00 PM

you don't shoot doves with a rifle......hell, you don't even shoot at 'em with a rifle!.......throw out an m80 or something and they'll prob'ly dee dee mau........mac

Grammar Rules
August 30th, 2014, 8:01 PM
Oh fine, shotgun. It would be a circular firing squad if y'all were shooting at grumpy old men.:))

mac
August 30th, 2014, 8:06 PM
Oh fine, shotgun. It would be a circular firing squad if y'all were shooting at grumpy old men.:))

I have a lease out by Adamsville.......be out there Monday. don't know why I bother any more since the old lady won't cook 'em up 'less I ask for stew. oh well, will have 2 sons in law so it'll prob'ly be a long long day. to tell the truth my heart ain't much in it any more......I got 6 different fly ways so it should be a piece of cake......mac

Grammar Rules
August 30th, 2014, 8:18 PM
Too hot to go tromping all over hill and dale. Leave the cute little birds alone.

CenTexDave
August 30th, 2014, 8:22 PM
Nice pics, but they are probably wearing camouflage.:)

Night Owl
August 30th, 2014, 8:56 PM
I thought I saw a GOM in one of the photos. He was camo'd all up. Hard to tell since he looked like an old broken down tree. Could have been Ludwig.:)

Ludwig
August 30th, 2014, 9:33 PM
I thought I saw a GOM in one of the photos. He was camo'd all up. Hard to tell since he looked like an old broken down tree. Could have been Ludwig.:)

No, it could not have been me. I wear a Gilli suit. You'll never see me... and your dog won't smell me either.

Mestral
August 31st, 2014, 10:29 AM
I have a lease out by Adamsville.......be out there Monday. don't know why I bother any more since the old lady won't cook 'em up 'less I ask for stew. oh well, will have 2 sons in law so it'll prob'ly be a long long day. to tell the truth my heart ain't much in it any more......I got 6 different fly ways so it should be a piece of cake......macI am trying to remember what age your children are. Shouldn't there be grand kids along? Don't delay teaching them to shoot.
My dad waited too long to teach me to shoot, skin and clean animals, and because of that I find it difficult to do still today.

BTW, for GR: it should only take a shot or two to sight in a shotgun.
(one for adjustment, one for confirmation)
Any more than that and yes, they are wasting ammo.

mac
August 31st, 2014, 11:13 AM
I am trying to remember what age your children are. Shouldn't there be grand kids along? Don't delay teaching them to shoot.
My dad waited too long to teach me to shoot, skin and clean animals, and because of that I find it difficult to do still today.

BTW, for GR: it should only take a shot or two to sight in a shotgun.
(one for adjustment, one for confirmation)
Any more than that and yes, they are wasting ammo.

Grammaar: Belay that last piece of advice. You don't "sight in a shotgun", you simply point and shoot. truth be told, you don't even see the front bead and there is no rear sight on a shotgun......I will guarantee you that if you sight or aim at a dove, duck, pheasant or quail that you'll MISS it.....again, you point, not aim, shotguns (slugs excepted).......mac

mac
August 31st, 2014, 11:19 AM
I am trying to remember what age your children are. Shouldn't there be grand kids along? Don't delay teaching them to shoot.
My dad waited too long to teach me to shoot, skin and clean animals, and because of that I find it difficult to do still today. .

good advice, mestral.....but way too late. the 2 girls who are here this week end already have their kids in school or working.......all my girls and most of the boys are already accomplished shooters.....ditto for the grandkids......mac

Mestral
August 31st, 2014, 11:54 AM
Grammaar: Belay that last piece of advice. You don't "sight in a shotgun", you simply point and shoot. truth be told, you don't even see the front bead and there is no rear sight on a shotgun......I will guarantee you that if you sight or aim at a dove, duck, pheasant or quail that you'll MISS it.....again, you point, not aim, shotguns (slugs excepted).......mac
I tell people to aim, since otherwise I get too many people who think they get a 6 foot pattern at 12 feet from the muzzle.
Adjusting your aim on a shotgun is with Kentucky wind-age, of course. You don't see the bead at all? I was always aware of it.
Might be the difference between an accomplished shotgunner (you) and an amateur rookie (me).

mac
August 31st, 2014, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Mestral;342613]I tell people to aim, since otherwise I get too many people who think they get a 6 foot pattern at 12 feet from the muzzle.
Adjusting your aim on a shotgun is with Kentucky windage, of course. You don't see the bead at all? I was always aware of it.
Might be the difference between an accomplished shotgunner (you) and an amateur rookie (me).

nah, I never see the bead when I shoot.....only the bird or clay and, hopefully an explosion of feathers or clay dust.

pattern has much more to do with choke, swing and follow through than it does with sight picture....on a shotgun, you can't adjust your aim, you can only adjust your swing and stance.....mac

Grammar Rules
August 31st, 2014, 4:13 PM
I don't know what the marksman was doing yesterday, but he calmed down and quit firing after a while. It will be nonstop tomorrow though, and the psycho dog will have to come into the house.

A game warden came by last week and asked about river access. I'm excited about that. I will give him a key if he will patrol by boat and bust some of the poachers and other violators who spoil hunting for the law abiding.

Night Owl
August 31st, 2014, 8:09 PM
If you let a few of us stop by we will help protect you from the bird flu.:)) And we will do it for free.

mac
August 31st, 2014, 8:12 PM
If you let a few of us stop by we will help protect you from the bird flu.:)) And we will do it for free.

it'll prob'ly die down 'tween about 10 and 2......or maybe 9 and 3.....mac

mac
August 31st, 2014, 8:13 PM
[QUOTE=Mestral;342613]I tell people to aim, since otherwise I get too many people who think they get a 6 foot pattern at 12 feet from the muzzle.
Adjusting your aim on a shotgun is with Kentucky windage, of course. You don't see the bead at all? I was always aware of it.
Might be the difference between an accomplished shotgunner (you) and an amateur rookie (me).QUOTE

Mestral:

nah, I never see the bead when I shoot.....only the bird or clay and, hopefully an explosion of feathers or clay dust.

pattern has much more to do with choke, swing and follow through than it does with sight picture....on a shotgun, you can't adjust your aim, you can only adjust your swing and stance.....mac