PDA

View Full Version : "Reasonable Visitation/Contact"

Shotgun Jeremy
August 26th, 2014, 5:29 PM
Anyone on here a family law attorney or the custodial parent where the other parent lives out of state? I'm trying to gauge how much contact is considered reasonable for the non-custodial parent. My sons mom thinks every single day is reasonable. Personally, I don't want to hear from her that often but I'm trying to be fair here for my sons sake. So let me hear what y'all got!

CenTexDave
August 26th, 2014, 6:19 PM
Newly divorced, huh?
She'll probably slow it down after a while to once or twice a week.

siamcat
August 26th, 2014, 6:24 PM
If mom wants to call everyday, let her talk to her son as often as she calls. Kids need to know that both parents love them and the break-up was not their fault, especially young kids.

Then talk to your son after to hear what they talked about. Ask him how mom is doing. It's going to make him feel not guilty about talking to mom. Divorce is hard on kids, no reason to make it harder on them. You might not like her, but she's his mom. Trust me kids are smarter then you think and they figure out real quick if somebody is just pretending.

Shotgun Jeremy
August 26th, 2014, 6:34 PM
We've been divorced since he was 1 1/2. He's now 6. Every year that he comes back from her house for the summer, she's been pushing that she wants to call him and talk every single day. Before now, I've been able to use the excuse that he's just not very talkative in general. Now, he's more talkative, but you can still see that he's not that interested in talking on the phone much. In the past, I've let her get away with a phone call every 3-4 days, and personally I think that should still work. She says she wants to talk to him every single day to maintain a relationship with him. I just don't see him wanting to talk that often and don't want him to feel pressured to talk just because I give him the phone, and I also think that she doesn't need to talk to him every single day for him to know she loves him. He's perfectly used to his parents being divorced and his mom not living nearby so he can't see her every other weekend. The few times that he asks to talk to her, I let him.

siamcat
August 26th, 2014, 6:40 PM
Lol, he's one of the non-talkers on the phone, both my kids were like that. My son still is, but my daughter turned teenager and jabbers all the time, although now it's on Skype.

sojourner truth
August 26th, 2014, 8:26 PM
Well, I might ask her how she would feel if you called your child every day he wasn't with you. That might get her to reconsider the situation.

Unless you already call your son every day.

My baby is 34, and her momma calls her every Sunday evening and talks for an hour.

Shotgun Jeremy
August 26th, 2014, 9:25 PM
She was trying to get me to call every day. I know Ty better than that so I did my usual once-maybe twice a week. He was still very excited to see me when the summer was over and I picked him up.

When I was little, I used to go to my families farm every summer up in NY and my parents would stay in Texas to keep working. That started when I was about 5. When I'd first get there, I would call about twice a week but after about the first two weeks, I got to where I would call every friday. So I know personally that it's not going to traumatize him or affect how loved he feels if he's not talking to her every single day. Besides, if he says he wants to call her, I'm certainly not going to stop him from that.