PDA

View Full Version : Fan Loyalty

LauraA
August 15th, 2014, 8:27 PM
I may be stirring up a hornets nest here, but what is up with the Texas Ranger fans? Being born and raised a Cardinal fan in St. Louis, you were always a fan, good and bad. You always went to the games, despite the season. It is like there are all these fans when the Rangers do well, but when they don't.....geez.

Night Owl
August 15th, 2014, 9:33 PM
I have been to dozens of games. I quit going to games after the last strike. Millionaires suing billionaires for my money. I decided to take my money out of the fight.

Ludwig
August 15th, 2014, 9:42 PM
Have you seen the price of tickets lately? Add to that losing a half day for travel, the cost of parking, food costs... one game costs me about $250. I'll pay that only when they play a good team like the NY Yankees... the last game I went to with all my grandchildren... I spent over $1500 for that night at the ballpark.

fchafey
August 15th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I may be stirring up a hornets nest here, but what is up with the Texas Ranger fans? Being born and raised a Cardinal fan in St. Louis, you were always a fan, good and bad. You always went to the games, despite the season. It is like there are all these fans when the Rangers do well, but when they don't.....geez.

This is not a Baseball state. Basketball either, and Hockey well, there are enough Yankess around here to support the Stars, I also think hockey is still a southern curiosity to people down here. Baseball is page 3 sports , right after what Charlie Strong is doing with the Horns on page 1 and Jerry Jones putting a Victoria's Secret in Texas Stadium on page 2.

Shotgun Jeremy
August 15th, 2014, 10:37 PM
If I lived near the stadium and the tickets were affordable, I would go to some games just as something to do. I don't live near the stadium though, so I haven't even looked at ticket prices.

LauraA
August 15th, 2014, 11:41 PM
You just can't beat an evening at the ballpark. My family goes as much as they can. When I went to University of Louisville (from where Charlie Strong was stolen for the Longhorns) and basketball is HUGE there. Football is getting a bit more attention, especially since the Cards played in the Sugar bowl two years ago. When I went there, I don't think attendance was that high at football games. Now when I went to grad school at Nebraska, oh my gosh, football is HUGE. They have sold out every game since 1964. They hold the record for sellouts. Every Nebraskan is a Husker fan.

kantwin
August 16th, 2014, 8:59 AM
For several years, my daughter lived just on the other side of I30 from the ballpark, definitely within walking distance. She would go to games several times a year.
A couple of years ago, we went to visit her, and walked to the game.
The highlight of the game, besides the amazing rally the Rangers had to drive the game into extra innings and end up winning was this little incident (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2I9j1oIVk) - loudest thing I've ever heard. We were on the 3rd base side.

sojourner truth
August 16th, 2014, 5:03 PM
My wife and I are diehard Rangers fans, but it has become difficult to stay so after the past 3 seasons. Seems like if there was a bad choice to make, they haven't missed one lately.

No Hitting, no starting pitching, all the high pay players on the injured reserve list, and a defense that just plain stinks. The worst part was getting rid of many of the old players who were, wel... getting old and not producing, just to see them become high number producers for their new teams.

Nelly Cruz, who couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle is now miraculously leading the MLs in home runs. They just plain stink.

We can watch a game and tell how it will go based on whomever they start as pitcher. Yu is about all they have, and when he has a bad start he pouts and says he hurts and has to sit out a month or 2. Washington has given up and is using the rest of the season to check out some of his AAA assets... None of which seem to have much promise.

But, we will still watch and moan every night, and proudly wear our Ranger hats.

LauraA
August 16th, 2014, 7:45 PM
ST, you are a true fan :thumbsup

sojourner truth
August 16th, 2014, 8:24 PM
Yeah well, we are sitting here flipping between the cowboys and the Rangers games, and let's just say that I am thinking seriously about watching a DVD instead....

It's like watching Dumb and Dumber.....

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The Texans looked good. :)

LauraA
August 18th, 2014, 5:15 PM
The Texans looked good. :)

Lol, what a Cowboys defection? Does anyone follow the Astros?

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 5:36 PM
Nah. They're worse than the Rangers. :))

sojourner truth
August 18th, 2014, 6:36 PM
Au contraire my friend... Nobody is worse than the Rangers. But the Astros are trying to do their best to catch up.

gnatsum
September 5th, 2014, 5:13 PM
Fan Loyalty: there is this story from the Abbott/Davis battle for Governor, where he calls her out for not being a strong enough Cowboys fan!:
"Sometimes in Texas it really is all about football. Even in politics.
After Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis went on the sports station KTCK/1310 “The Ticket” on Wednesday morning, her Republican opponent, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, wanted to point out just one thing: The Fort Worth state senator may not be a faithful Dallas Cowboys football fan.
Abbott’s gubernatorial campaign sent out an email after the morning show noting that Davis said on air that she has been a longtime supporter of the Cowboys.
“I grew up cheering for the Cowboys and I haven’t stopped ever since,” Davis said on the show. “And I’ll be cheering for them again this year.”
But Abbott’s campaign questioned her football loyalties, pointing to a Vogue interview last year with one of Davis’s daughters who said she and her mother are both “big” fans of the Patriots. And they noted that Davis once posted “Go Pats!” on Facebook.
On the eve of the official kickoff of the NFL season, some political analysts suggest the issue isn’t truly a fumble.
“There are more serious issues the candidates need to focus on,” said Cal Jillson, a political science professor at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
The Davis campaign said this hoopla is much ado about nothing — and she’s not flip-flopping on her football loyalties.
“Wendy Davis has two words: Go Cowboys,” spokesman Zac Petkanas said.
After all, just earlier this year, former Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith donated $10,000 to the Texas Victory Committee, which is a joint effort supporting both Davis’ gubernatorial bid and Battleground Texas, an effort to boost Democratic turnout at the polls."
http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/09/03/6089498/cowboys-or-pats.html
Abbott thinks he's better in this regard because he apparently has never uttered or written "Go Pats" in his life? So Davis isn't the Cowboys fan she could be...maybe if the 'boys were capable of consistently delivering season results better than 8-8...
Maybe if Romo could take them to the playoffs...and win.

Or am I expectiing too much again?

Ludwig
September 5th, 2014, 5:22 PM
I lost my last reason to go to a Ranger's game today when Ron Washington resigned his position as Manager. I mourn his leaving as if he had died.

mac
September 5th, 2014, 6:36 PM
I lost my last reason to go to a Ranger's game today when Ron Washington resigned his position as Manager. I mourn his leaving as if he had died.

wow....that's too bad. he's a real class act........he says it's "because of a off the field personal matter"......mac

Night Owl
September 5th, 2014, 7:31 PM
Wonder if he is sniffing stuff through his nose again?

sojourner truth
September 5th, 2014, 9:19 PM
The team said it was not drug related. As Ron does not have any kids, and he said it was "family related issue" we can only guess what is going on. Nobody is saying a thing right now.

But one thing Ron can say is that tonight... he was not managing a basement sucking bunch of losers.

LauraA
October 2nd, 2014, 4:05 PM

Just couldn't resist :)

CenTexDave
October 2nd, 2014, 9:52 PM
Might have another Interstate World Series- St. Louis and KC.

fchafey
October 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Yea, good for the Royals. Actully hope Washington makes it, seeings how they were the Senators, Twins, Rangers and now the Nationals. I differnt teams is good for baseball. I will also admit the Mets-Yankees WS was a bust really, noone cared except the Tri State Area, same for the A's -Giants during the earhtquake.

LauraA
October 2nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Might have another Interstate World Series- St. Louis and KC.
That would actually be really cool. Fans from both teams can make the games. We all know that St. Louis would win ;)

CenTexDave
October 3rd, 2014, 11:25 AM
Washington Nationals were the Montreal Expos. Good to see them make it in the playoffs and finally Atlanta sitting it out.
Royals hung tough last night and defeated the Angels in extra innings. Beat the Angel's ace. Baltimore blew Detroit out of the stadium!! I think everyone thought with Detroit's pitching they would breeze through this, but look at the last month of the season and you can see their pitching, while good, is not great. Scherzer and Verlander have not had the seasons they had in the past, and neither has David Price who they traded for at the trading deadline with Tampa.
Guess it just shows that the Cy Young belongs to the Indians' Corey Kluber!!!

fchafey
October 5th, 2014, 7:12 AM
Ok, they derived thier name from the Senators, the Nats is a shortened version. I thought before looking it up that Washington DC still owned the name, didnt realize that is where the Expos went.I do remember the Seattle Pilots became the Brewers. Had Tommy Harper's baseball card as a kid, the only really named payer for the pilots.

CenTexDave
October 5th, 2014, 9:08 AM
LauraA must be in mourning this morning. lol
Cardinals lost, Nebraska lost. :)

CenTexDave
October 5th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Baltimore Orioles sweep the Tigers; Kansas City Royals sweep the LA Angels. :)) Now they have can rest for a few days - the ALCS starts Friday in Baltimore.

LauraA
October 6th, 2014, 6:59 PM
I am Dave, although, they merely tied it up. I wish I were back home to see them play. They always seem to save their best for the post season. Nebraska, made a valiant comeback, but it wasn't quite enough. :crying

Night Owl
October 6th, 2014, 8:51 PM
You are NOT Dave.

CenTexDave
October 7th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

CenTexDave
October 7th, 2014, 7:14 PM
LauraA is doing back flips right now. The Cardinals took down the mighty Dodgers today and won their NL division series. The Giants, which have a 2-1 game lead on Washington, play later tonight.

LauraA
October 7th, 2014, 10:39 PM
You know I am Dave. I am jealous my brother and his wife were actually there, but it was still a good game. I don't know why they don't just save a permanent spot for us in the NLCS. :bounce

CenTexDave
October 8th, 2014, 8:37 AM
And the Giants won their series late last night, so now it's St. Louis vs. San Francisco for the NL, Baltimore and KC for the American League.
Sure would like to see an IS-70 again.

Night Owl
October 8th, 2014, 9:18 AM
You know I am Dave. I am jealous my brother and his wife were actually there, but it was still a good game. I don't know why they don't just save a permanent spot for us in the NLCS. :bounce
No you are not Dave. SMH

kantwin
October 8th, 2014, 9:29 AM
No you are not Dave. SMH

All for lack of a comma...

CenTexDave
October 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Royals have screwed up the first game. Had a 4-0 lead. Now 5-5, bottom of the 9th.
Royals had the bases loaded in the top of the ninth, no outs, and didn't score. :-s

CenTexDave
October 11th, 2014, 11:10 AM
The Royals won it, in extra innings of course.

CenTexDave
October 12th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Royals go up 2 games over the Orioles. :)

LauraA
October 12th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Oh my gosh, what a nail biter, but the Cards beat the Giants. However, we lost Molina to an injury. I am starting to really dislike my siblings. Tonight my sister was at the game and they just have to rub it in by calling me from the stadium. :bouncing

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2014, 6:35 PM
Giants won today, lead the series 2 - 1.

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Royals won tonight 2-1 and have a 3-0 game lead in the ALCS. :)

LauraA
October 15th, 2014, 1:32 AM
Giants won today, lead the series 2 - 1.
I can't even talk about it. What a stupid error and in the 10th at home too. On the upside, none of my relatives were there, lol. That's ok, they don't call the Cards the comeback kids for nothing. :(

fchafey
October 15th, 2014, 1:40 AM
The game was in San Francisco.

Night Owl
October 15th, 2014, 8:13 AM
She has family there. She grew up in SF or StL, or Chicago, or...............wherever that supports her string of lies.

LauraA
October 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM
The game was in San Francisco.
That is why none of my relatives were there, lol. I have faith. The Cards are going to rally and win this thing. I mean look how they did with the Rangers ;)

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I hope they do. I'm tired of seeing SF in there all the time.
But no matter who wins the National League pennant, I'm rooting for the Royals!! :)

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2014, 7:43 PM
Royals going to the World Series. They won today, 2-1, and sweep Baltimore.