PDA

View Full Version : NFL Is Back - HeeHaw

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
The Hall of Fame game kind of sucked, but to be expected for such an early pre-season game. One thing I like was Eli Manning didn't look all that good. :)
Cowboys play San Diego this coming Thursday!!

kantwin
August 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM
You talking about this look-
Or this look?

circle_c
August 4th, 2014, 2:22 PM
Understand Romo will not play Thursday. Reckon its caution or he hasn't figured out how to use the tablet well enough yet. Not sure this is football anymore when QB'S have to use a computer on the field....:(

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2014, 3:16 PM
I'm sure it's a precaution. He had back surgery and may not be fully 100%.

cnjbond
August 4th, 2014, 6:51 PM
I'm sure it's a precaution. He had back surgery and may not be fully 100%.
When has he EVER been 100%? :)

CenTexDave
August 4th, 2014, 7:24 PM
I doubt it. He's 34 now - age gonna start creeping up on him and more injuries. Of course, fear not, Brandon Weeden will get it done for them. :)):))

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2014, 8:42 PM
I checked on the internet and the Cowboys-Chargers game shows as being carried on CBS Thursday night, 10PM. Kinda late, but think I'll make the sacrifice.

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2014, 8:18 AM
Sorry, 9PM central time.

cnjbond
August 7th, 2014, 10:58 AM
That sucks but I'll be up to watch it too!

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Not impressed. Their D sucks as usual, and that joke of a two minute drill at the end of the first half was pathetic.

cnjbond
August 8th, 2014, 6:50 AM
Goodness, just when you thought the defense couldn't get any worse...WOW!!! I'm glad Jerry invested $7 Trillion in his busted up QB and not on fixing the other glaring holes on the team!

CenTexDave
August 8th, 2014, 9:01 AM
That rookie Ahmad Dixon out of Baylor looked great. Weeden did ok. But overall they have a lot of work to do.

cnjbond
August 8th, 2014, 9:47 AM
I know this was only the 1st preseason game and a lot of starters were sitting but man oh man, it didn't look like there were any guys out there fighting to impress the coaches to make the next round of cuts. The defense just looked horrible!

CenTexDave
August 8th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Dixon looked real good.
I'm beginning to think a lot of this falls on the coaches, and in particular Garrett. This team just acts like it's going through the motions. No motivation.

sojourner truth
August 8th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Let's face it... They stink.. again.. Or should I say still.

No D, and the O is about as weak as I have ever seen it. Which is saying something.

But then, we can always say that they look better than the Rangers in baseball. Which also, ain't saying much.

CenTexDave
August 8th, 2014, 3:33 PM
Some of the vets didn't even play, so I'll reserve judgement until after the second or third preseason game.

gnatsum
August 8th, 2014, 5:07 PM
When has he EVER been 100%? :)

Romo's 100 percent is equal to some other QBs' 60 percent.

cnjbond
August 8th, 2014, 5:09 PM
I saw this on FB today and just shook my head...please Lord, don't let this be another crappy season!!!

CenTexDave
August 8th, 2014, 5:13 PM
And therein lies a good part of the problem - people keep paying a small fortune to park, go see this team play and buy food and Cowboys clothing and memorabilia. Of course Jones just keeps raking it in. The man's ego is only exceeded by his wallet.

fchafey
August 11th, 2014, 11:14 PM
You talking about this look-
Or this look?

Eli probably dropped the ball becasue he forgot to take his two Super Bowl rings off before playing. Thank goodness Tony Romo doesn't have that to worry about.......

Night Owl
August 11th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Eli probably dropped the ball becasue he forgot to take his two Super Bowl rings off before playing. Thank goodness Tony Romo doesn't have that to worry about.......
Another Migets fan.

fchafey
August 12th, 2014, 12:07 AM
You bet! The Giants were horrible in the 70's when I was growing up. Joe Pisarcik is the reason for today's kneel down, and we even had a punter who whiffed and cost us a game back then too. The Cowboys were awesome back in the days of Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett, and Jimmie Johnson probably could have 5 or 6 rings himself if he were still there. I honestly have tried to like today's Cowboys but it is like watching NASCAR. You are sitting waiting for the big one to happen. I do like when the camera man finds Jerry's son cleaning his glasses, or the happy look on his face. On a different note I see that Orlandro Scandrick has been suspended for 4 games.

Night Owl
August 12th, 2014, 5:53 AM
You bet! The Giants were horrible in the 70's when I was growing up. Joe Pisarcik is the reason for today's kneel down, and we even had a punter who whiffed and cost us a game back then too. The Cowboys were awesome back in the days of Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett, and Jimmie Johnson probably could have 5 or 6 rings himself if he were still there. I honestly have tried to like today's Cowboys but it is like watching NASCAR. You are sitting waiting for the big one to happen. I do like when the camera man finds Jerry's son cleaning his glasses, or the happy look on his face. On a different note I see that Orlandro Scandrick has been suspended for 4 games.
It's been difficult to be a fan since Jerry Jones became the owner. Since Johnson left it has become in disarray.

CenTexDave
August 12th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Romo's 100 percent is equal to some other QBs' 60 percent.

I agree. So does Santa. 4881

CenTexDave
August 12th, 2014, 6:20 PM
Scandrick's suspension is not critical, but they better hope no other DB's go down injured.

fchafey
August 12th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I agree. So does Santa. 4881

I was not deployed for the Thanksgiving Day game when RGIII made his debut in Texas Stadium and the young Baylor graduate from Cove was awesome. To hear the chants of RGIII!!! loud and clear and a Washington Redskin to boot, just amplifies how far "America's Team" has fallen.

CenTexDave
August 13th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Hope he can return to that form he had that magical rookie season. But from what I've read, the new coaches want him to be a drop-back passer. Sorry - he wasn't, he isn't and will never be that.

fchafey
August 13th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Hope he can return to that form he had that magical rookie season. But from what I've read, the new coaches want him to be a drop-back passer. Sorry - he wasn't, he isn't and will never be that.

I would like to see that too, but in order to keep him healthy the coaches want him to sit still. I hope he doenst turn out to be like Cordell Stewart, they wanted him to sit still and it didnt work. The last guy to really remain healthy and run around all over the field in my opinion was Randall Cunningham and before him Fran Tarkington.

CenTexDave
August 14th, 2014, 1:10 AM
I didn't mean for him to scramble all the time. They should come up with moving pockets for him to throw from.
We'll have a better idea after watching him Monday night against the Browns and that good 3-4 defense they have.

cnjbond
August 14th, 2014, 9:40 AM
I would like to see that too, but in order to keep him healthy the coaches want him to sit still. I hope he doenst turn out to be like Cordell Stewart, they wanted him to sit still and it didnt work. The last guy to really remain healthy and run around all over the field in my opinion was Randall Cunningham and before him Fran Tarkington.

Don't forget about Steve Young. He was a pretty decent mobile QB as well....#HOF

fchafey
August 14th, 2014, 9:44 AM
Steve Young, yes he was special, got his law degree when he retired too. The wife and her family live in the Bay area. They take great pleasure in sending me 49ers stuff and SF Giants stuff, especailly when they won the series against the Rangers. Good grief.

CenTexDave
August 14th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I was a different game back then - Tarkenton, Cunningham, Young, etc were a novelty and defenses weren't built to stop the one mobil QB they would play that year. Now it's becoming more and more common and the defenses are catching up. While, IMO, it makes the offenses more exciting, I wouldn't plan on a very long career if I was an run-option QB in the NFL.

CenTexDave
August 14th, 2014, 7:28 PM
If anyone cares, Bears vs Jacksonville is on ESPN.

Night Owl
August 14th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I was a different game back then - Tarkenton, Cunningham, Young, etc were a novelty and defenses weren't built to stop the one mobil QB they would play that year. Now it's becoming more and more common and the defenses are catching up. While, IMO, it makes the offenses more exciting, I wouldn't plan on a very long career if I was an run-option QB in the NFL.
You forgot the best of the bunch. He was a Naval Academy grad and played for Dallas. Wanna guess who that QB is?

fchafey
August 14th, 2014, 10:36 PM
You forgot the best of the bunch. He was a Naval Academy grad and played for Dallas. Wanna guess who that QB is?

Heisman Trophy as well, he was great and as a young kid I couldnt wait to see him play Sunday afteroons in Jersey with Dad.The 70's was agreat time to be a kid. We would get the Cowboy games up there when they played the Giants, Eagles and Redskins. The antenna on the roof got 11 channels, from NY and Philly. Bob Griese, Kenny Stabler, Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson, and yes, Sonny Jurgensen were all great.

CenTexDave
August 14th, 2014, 11:16 PM

Dandy Don Meredith?? :)

Saw Staubach in two Army-Navy games. He never did beat Army, but that's when Army used to have a team once in a while. lol But it was obvious he was special.
He was a scrambler, not an option QB. But he could extend the play until Pearson would come open. :-)

fchafey
August 15th, 2014, 2:14 AM
Dandy Don...."Turn out the lights, the party's over" used to drive Cosell nuts.....

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2014, 8:24 AM
And Cosell drove all viewers nuts.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 4:45 PM
Cowboys vs Ravens, 6PM, Fox.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 6:18 PM
Romo came out looking good, then blows a handoff and Baltimore runs it in for a TD. :bluerofl

sojourner truth
August 16th, 2014, 6:35 PM
Well, Mrs. Truth and I are in a quandary... Boys on at 6, Rangers on at 7... Not much of a choice in my opinion.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 6:43 PM
Watch da Boys. Rangers are so far back they have no chance.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 8:12 PM
Hope you didn't follow my advice - Cowboys suck.

fchafey
August 16th, 2014, 9:48 PM
Only got see a little of the game in the DFAC here during breakfast, see that Baltimore had 2 defensive/special teams TD's and the 'Boys had 2 turnovers, makes Romos 4/5 for 80 yds and a TD not so good. The only solace is that it is preseason. First game is with the 49ers in Dallas, looking at the Cowboys scheule it could be a long season.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 9:51 PM
Still too early to panic. But if they don't improve soon I think their usual 8 - 8 is gonna be a reach.

fchafey
August 16th, 2014, 9:59 PM
Agreed and looking at the Schedules for all the NFC East teams, 9-7 could win the division. I don't know if the Eagles are drinking the Chip Kelly cool aid yet, to me that is the unknown in that divsion. They could be a really dangerous team this year. I think the top two teams, barring any suprising injuires in teh NFC are the Seahwks and the 49ers. Saint/Packers 3/4.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Kind of agree, but don't count out St. Louis. Jeff Fisher is a good coach and they have had so many high draft picks the last couple of years that they may come of age this year.

cnjbond
August 16th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Besides the special teams and the botched handoff fumble returned for a TD, I think overall they looked a lot better than last week. I won't hold my breath with hopes that they'll do anything this year because (unfortunately) I still see them going 8-8 again.

fchafey
August 16th, 2014, 10:17 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing St Louis do well. The Greatest Show on Turf was sure fun to watch. In baseball I love the no hitter, football however can be 42-35 and thats just fine with me, last team with the ball wins.

fchafey
August 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Besides the special teams and the botched handoff fumble returned for a TD, I think overall they looked a lot better than last week. I won't hold my breath with hopes that they'll do anything this year because (unfortunately) I still see them going 8-8 again.

Does anyone see a 12-4 team in the NFC? In the AFC the odds on favorite has got to be the Bronces, hate to say it, a happy healthy Andre Ware, and of course La Machine at QB....

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Seattle, maybe, as long as they don't rest on last year's laurels. That NFC West is gonna be tough.
Andre Ware? Thought he won the Heisman at Houston and then fell dead on his butt in the NFL.

fchafey
August 16th, 2014, 10:32 PM
sorry, I am an idiot. I meant Demarcus Ware.....

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I think he still has a couple good seasons left in him. Dallas will regret letting him go.

fchafey
August 16th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Miles Austin too... though I did get to see Jaspar Newsome #85 and he made a couple of good catches there at the end. The Cowboys remind me of the Yankees when I was a kid and George Stienbrenner and Billy Martin didnt get along, the Yankees were a joke until George finally got Joe Torre. I don't see Jerry getting anyone, anytime soon that will turn the ship around. I read where the Cowboys are the richest team in sports. That is amazing to me. Maybe it is us who don't get it. I don't know. Baffling.

CenTexDave
August 16th, 2014, 11:26 PM
You're right - Cowboy fans don't get it. They all bitch and complain, but keep shuffling big $$$$ to Jerry.

cnjbond
August 17th, 2014, 3:37 PM
I think he still has a couple good seasons left in him. Dallas will regret letting him go.

Dallas had to let him go under their current cap situation. I believe Jerry would've kept him if he could have but he was asking for too much in this stage of his career. I wish Jerry would've used that same business since when he restructured Romo's contract because there's no way in HADES any other team would've paid him that much money in free agency...Jerry outbid himself on that one!!!

CenTexDave
August 17th, 2014, 4:19 PM
That's the problem when you offer the farm to someone - 3 or 4 years down the road the good ol' salary cap thing.
But he keeps Spencer - who is hurt again. Makes a lot of sense.

fchafey
August 17th, 2014, 9:42 PM
Dallas had to let him go under their current cap situation. I believe Jerry would've kept him if he could have but he was asking for too much in this stage of his career. I wish Jerry would've used that same business since when he restructured Romo's contract because there's no way in HADES any other team would've paid him that much money in free agency...Jerry outbid himself on that one!!!

You wuould have thought Jerry had learned with Deion Sanders. Forgive me for asking but who owned the Cowbeys when the famous Herschel Walker trade was made? was is still Tex Schramm?

cnjbond
August 17th, 2014, 10:26 PM
You wuould have thought Jerry had learned with Deion Sanders. Forgive me for asking but who owned the Cowbeys when the famous Herschel Walker trade was made? was is still Tex Schramm?

Nope, that was done under Jerry and Jimmy's watch...one of the biggest reasons they were able to put together the Super bowl teams that they had.

fchafey
August 18th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Nope, that was done under Jerry and Jimmy's watch...one of the biggest reasons they were able to put together the Super bowl teams that they had.

Thank you, yes the Brains and the Wallet. Well we all see what has happened since the Brains left and I dare a Cowboys fan to tell me that last Super Bowl was Barry Switzer's stellar coaching effort......

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 2:28 AM
Hell, with all the talent the Cowboys had back then any of us could have coached them to a Super Bowl win.

Night Owl
August 18th, 2014, 8:37 AM
Thank you, yes the Brains and the Wallet. Well we all see what has happened since the Brains left and I dare a Cowboys fan to tell me that last Super Bowl was Barry Switzer's stellar coaching effort......
Cowboy fans don't have much use for Switzer or Jerry. If Jerry would have let Jimmy do his job the Cowboys would have won at least 4 in a row and maybe a fifth.

fchafey
August 18th, 2014, 9:14 AM
Absolutely agree with you, Jimmy Johnson was different, he did not come out of the Bill Walsh family of successful Super Bowl winning Coaches. From the speed and strength of his offensive line to "How 'Bout Them Cowboys!", his teams were confident, competent, and proud. But then again, I dont have to tell you guys that.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 9:32 AM
And where did Walsh learn from? Paul Brown.

cnjbond
August 18th, 2014, 9:43 AM
Hell, with all the talent the Cowboys had back then any of us could have coached them to a Super Bowl win.

That's what Jerry thought too but he forgot you can't keep winning on yesteryear's glory!

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
All those super players aged together and with the Cowboys always getting the lower draft picks he could never seem to replace them.
But his coaching choices sure didn't help either. Some teams have gone through the success the Cowboys went through back then, then get the same low draft picks but seem to keep rolling along. New England comes to mind. Pittsburgh used to, but they seem to have hit about rock bottom lately.

fchafey
August 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM
The 49ers and Packers spent time being down and seem to have resolved that. The Wife is from the Bay Area and I know the 49ers were horrible until just a couple of seasons ago. I bet the Cowboiy fan base would accept a rebuilding couple of years.

Night Owl
August 18th, 2014, 11:34 AM
The 49ers and Packers spent time being down and seem to have resolved that. The Wife is from the Bay Area and I know the 49ers were horrible until just a couple of seasons ago. I bet the Cowboiy fan base would accept a rebuilding couple of years.
As long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel rebuilding is a part of the game. However, with Jerry, he wants it all now. So there is no light to see. He seems to have no idea how to run a franchise and since the mid 90s it has been all downhill. I don't see it getting any better until he is gone.

There are many fans that still remember and resent how he treated Tom Landry and he will never be forgiven for that disrespect.

cnjbond
August 18th, 2014, 11:35 AM

They've been rebuilding since '95 but Jerry is too stubborn to accept or admit it!

sojourner truth
August 18th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Well, once the players figured out how you can play a few quarters, grab your back or ankle, keep getting a paycheck while watching all the games from the lounge, it went downhill... And it seems the phenomenum has not been lost in baseball either.

I just wish there were some sort of clause where the players that pull this stuff are immediately up for free agency or able to be dropped from the active rolls. It might improve some of their... durability... issues.

Now, I am just waiting for Romo to play and see how many quarters he's good for before he grabs his back again... Same for a few of their regular starters too.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Ah yes, the good ol' sports labor unions. We can thank them for that. Go back 40-60 years ago (if any of you can remember that far back lol) and you rarely saw a player missing games. If they did, they were truly injured. Today's constant injury list ought to have a clause like that of workman's comp after a couple of weeks. Collecting millions of $$ for sitting on their butt and supposedly recouping is rubbish.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 4:47 PM
RG3 on Monday Night Football tonight, ESPN, 7 PM. Interesting to see if he has returned to the form he displayed as a rookie. He didn't play much in their first pre-season game. And I'm not too sure much will really be shown tonight as his opponent tonight is Cleveland and I read their defense is all banged up and 4, possibly more, starters won 't play.

sojourner truth
August 18th, 2014, 6:41 PM
I think they said in practices, they were designing it so he did a whole lot less scrambling to prevent yardage losses. That should really put a crimp in his performance, unless, like all other things he tackles, he adapts and overcomes. Like Joe Namath did when his ankles gave out. More time in the pocket and developing better receiver spotting skills.

It also makes me wonder how long Johnny von Fussball will last before some amped up lineman hands him his head and he needs surgery.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 7:04 PM
Problem is, they are trying to make him something he is not. They knew how he played when they drafted him, now they want to change him.

gvls78
August 18th, 2014, 7:14 PM
RG3 is Vick all over again. Very talented player that will never stay healthy!

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 8:29 PM
He looked pretty good tonight except for that one INT he tossed.
Manziel on the other hand looked like garbage. So did Cleveland's other QB.

cnjbond
August 18th, 2014, 8:42 PM
Those Cleveland receivers didn't help the QBs either because if you can't catch a ball thrown slightly behind you then you shouldn't be in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, both QBs look terrible but some of those balls should've been caught.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 9:13 PM
I agree, and Gordon and Cameron were pro-bowlers. No excuses. Same thing in their first pre-season game. Makes me wonder what the hell they are doing in practice.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Turned out to be entertaining, but the Browns' QB competition didn't answer anything.

cnjbond
August 19th, 2014, 9:42 AM
Turned out to be entertaining, but the Browns' QB competition didn't answer anything.

The old Big XII was in force last night...a QB from Baylor, A&M AND t.u.

sojourner truth
August 19th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Manziel is used to a no huddle offense where all the plays are sent in. When he has to call the play he is given, and then go to the huddle, he faces 2 elements he isn't accustomed to. He may be able to adjust, but it won't be easy and it won't be fast.

The biggest concern I had about RGIII was when he scrambled. He went out of bounds on one and landed on his knee... again... pretty hard. I am afraid he won't make it too far into the season if he takes a few more of those.

CenTexDave
August 20th, 2014, 4:32 PM
Looks like the Browns have announced Manziel will be the backup. Their problem is the other guy looked worse. :))
Since they have come back into the NFL they have drafted 4 QB's with a number 1 pick - one was the top overall pick - and none of them have been worth much. I have a feeling Manziel is gonna fit right in there.

Rick
August 20th, 2014, 5:30 PM
The third string QB looked pretty good, albeit against the third string defense, but he looked good enough to make him the backup and let "one-finger Johnny" think about things for a while.

CenTexDave
August 20th, 2014, 6:14 PM
That was Connor Shaw, undrafted rookie QB from South Carolina. He was good enough to be Steve Spurrier's starter there for 2 years in his "fun 'n gun" offense.
But the Browns may not even keep him. They also have Rex Grossman (ugh!!!) who hasn't even played yet. I would think the would keep Grossman to try and help Manziel - remember, Grossman played for the Brown's offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan, for a few years while in Washington.

cnjbond
August 20th, 2014, 6:15 PM
The third string QB looked pretty good, albeit against the third string defense, but he looked good enough to make him the backup and let "one-finger Johnny" think about things for a while.
Johnny can't stay out of his own way...signs of a catered and privileged life, AKA, SPOILED BRAT!

fchafey
August 21st, 2014, 10:21 PM
DeVonte Holloman's career is over for the Cowboys. Neck injury, 23 and done.

CenTexDave
August 21st, 2014, 10:38 PM
Another starting LB.

sfotw
August 22nd, 2014, 6:57 AM
The browns could have had Bridgewater, so I'm just laughing right now at jonathan football.

cnjbond
August 22nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
The browns could have had Bridgewater, so I'm just laughing right now at jonathan football.

The Boys passing on Johnny Football may have been the smartest move they've made in quite awhile!

CenTexDave
August 22nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
Getting better by the day with Manziel - now the Browns are saying they may use a two QB system. :)) I guess having two QB's who are about 50% as good as most starters means they then will have one that is 100%.

sfotw
August 23rd, 2014, 9:00 AM
Think the owner had a talk with the coach about how much Johnny clipboard costs to sit on the bench?

CenTexDave
August 23rd, 2014, 9:15 AM
I would hope not. From what I've read, Manziel's jersey is the top selling merchandise in the NFL right now, so the owner gets a slice of that which probably pays this kid's salary.