PDA

View Full Version : Composting

cnjbond
July 13th, 2014, 6:43 PM
My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge and start composting. Do any others on here have any experience composting? I read a couple of articles online that basically said try to keep a good balance between your browns and greens and make sure you aerate the pile periodically, but other than that, it seems to be a fairly simple process.

Any tips?

mac
July 13th, 2014, 7:01 PM
My wife and I finally decided to take the plunge and start composting. Do any others on here have any experience composting? I read a couple of articles online that basically said try to keep a good balance between your browns and greens and make sure you aerate the pile periodically, but other than that, it seems to be a fairly simple process.

Any tips?

you're right, it's super simple. you have to feed it every once in a while but other than that, just keep it down wind from the house. might wanna go to the mother earth web site and pick up one of their composting handbooks.....mac

Night Owl
July 13th, 2014, 7:38 PM
Get a little cow manure to get the process started. The fresher the better.

circle_c
July 14th, 2014, 7:11 AM
This may be helpful....

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/composting-sheep-manure.htm

mac
July 14th, 2014, 9:41 AM
Get a little cow manure to get the process started. The fresher the better.

well, I don't know what that circle c link will say but, actually, any kind of manure is fine.....as long as it comes in patties and not turds....mac

cnjbond
July 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tips...not sure if we'll go the manure route, just looking to compost what we'd normally throw away.

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I tried this years ago and, to me, just wasn't worth it.
But if you have some gardens would be good. For me it wasn't - whatever I planted the deer would have for dinner so I've just given up planting anything.

Night Owl
July 14th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the tips...not sure if we'll go the manure route, just looking to compost what we'd normally throw away.
Don't throw meat scraps into the compost. Draws rats and other vermin. Veggie scraps are great. Grass clippings, leaves, small branches, etc.