PDA

View Full Version : Hood or not

ethelm
July 8th, 2014, 6:03 PM
School board meets tonight to decide if games will be played at Hood Stadium this year-----your thoughts?

CenTexDave
July 8th, 2014, 7:36 PM
Being reported they want to go back to using only Leo Buckley. Thursday night games there are not that bad, unless maybe you travel from College Station, but that won't be happening any longer.
http://www.kwtx.com/ourtown/home/headlines/Killeen--School-Board-Reconsiders-Where-High-Schools-Play-266327281.html

Wolfdawg
July 9th, 2014, 7:51 AM
It has always been less that optimum for the fans and the players to play at Hood Stadium. But what about the money the district put into building the "locker rooms"?

CenTexDave
July 9th, 2014, 8:59 AM
I don't know. If Fort Hood would have built it the way a football stadium should be with stands on each side they probably wouldn't be moving the games.

ethelm
July 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM
agree and have air conditioned locker rooms. I can't imagine what those are like in August/September! Looks like they will be moving to Leo for all games. Now the debate can begin on having games on Thursday nights and interfering with kids studies.:-s

CenTexDave
July 9th, 2014, 12:50 PM
It will be home games for KISD schools, and, if I remember correctly, start times are pushed up to 7PM vice 7:30PM start times as on Fridays.
Sure, it is not ideal, but it is still better than dealing with that junk stadium on Ft Hood.

JohnKilleen
July 9th, 2014, 1:14 PM
Its no big deal having Thursday or Saturday games, especially in district where the teams are no more than 60 miles away(Midway). I believe Katy ISD has 1 stadium that 6 or so schools play at. Makes especially makes no since for KHS or Heights to have to travel way over to Hood and play.

Night Owl
July 9th, 2014, 2:50 PM
Its no big deal having Thursday or Saturday games, especially in district where the teams are no more than 60 miles away(Midway). I believe Katy ISD has 1 stadium that 6 or so schools play at. Makes especially makes no since for KHS or Heights to have to travel way over to Hood and play.
Wayyyyyyy over to Hood. Who are you kidding. What is it, maybe 10 minutes.

JohnKilleen
July 9th, 2014, 2:53 PM
When Buckly Stadium is in KHS backyard it makes no since to go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to ft hood. Some of us arent military and dont venture on to post anyway....yeah I know the stadium is not through the gates.

CenTexDave
July 9th, 2014, 4:00 PM
The bottom line is that stadium sucks. Stands only on one side. I went to one game there and that was enough. Locker rooms suck and the field sucks. Plus they have to "rent" the stadium to play there.

gnatsum
July 9th, 2014, 5:12 PM
'No' on games at Hood Stadium.

siamcat
July 9th, 2014, 5:17 PM
The board was concerned with injuries from the natural field, safety of the visitors with both teams supporters sitting on the same side, and the facilities.

I think they should just play at Leo Buckley. I don't think they build the locker rooms yet, but I'm not sure.

We have a perfectly good stadium in Leo Buckley and if Thursday games are a problem, play on Saturday. Might even get more people attending that way. All the other sports play on all kinds of days.

DiamondKing
July 9th, 2014, 5:54 PM
It was a joke they ever played at Hood Stadium. That was more like a 1a stadium.

sfotw
July 9th, 2014, 8:02 PM
I'm missing something here, why can't they play Friday nights at Leo Buckley stadium?

CenTexDave
July 9th, 2014, 8:16 PM
4 high schools. Each week two play at home, two play on the road.
KISD, up to now, treated it like it was a crisis. Someone earlier pointed out Katy - 6 high schools and they manage just fine.

siamcat
July 9th, 2014, 8:32 PM
I just loved to see Mr. Manley quoted and to actually have people on the board with common sense. They're working together to do the best job for all.

Hopefully the upswing for our schools continues.

sfotw
July 9th, 2014, 9:16 PM
So Heights, Ellison, or Shoemaker can't host a game? Do they not have football fields? No stands? No parking? is it impossible to play 2 games in 1 night? 6pm game, 8 pm game.
I understand not wanting to pay to use Fort Hood when there are 4 locations in Killeen a game can be played, but do they all have to be million dollar miniature pro stadiums? I bet the kids would be happy to play at "home".

siamcat
July 9th, 2014, 9:42 PM
So Heights, Ellison, or Shoemaker can't host a game? Do they not have football fields? No stands? No parking? is it impossible to play 2 games in 1 night? 6pm game, 8 pm game.
I understand not wanting to pay to use Fort Hood when there are 4 locations in Killeen a game can be played, but do they all have to be million dollar miniature pro stadiums? I bet the kids would be happy to play at "home".

The other schools have fields that they practice on, but I don't think they have seating. Leo Buckley is the only stadium, because it was the first.

Leo Buckley is our home stadium for all the teams. I would guess if you ask the kids they would prefer playing at Leo Buckley over Hood.

CenTexDave
July 9th, 2014, 11:18 PM
They all have a "stadium", but seating only on one side like at Ft Hood. They are used for freshmen and JV games and soccer.

gvls78
July 10th, 2014, 2:48 AM

There is only one stadium in the area. And no you can't play two games in one night like that. You're not a football fan are you? Lol

IronErnin
July 10th, 2014, 3:01 AM
What would be the difference between 2 high school games in one night and a baseball double header? It is also done for most indoor sports, basketball, volleyball, etc.

RooDawg
July 10th, 2014, 7:30 AM
What would be the difference between 2 high school games in one night and a baseball double header? It is also done for most indoor sports, basketball, volleyball, etc.

Football games involve too many people to have two games in one night. Playoffs are done that way and there is usually a 3 or 4 hour window for games so people can get there and leave before the next game. Football games can last up to 3 hours. Baseball games and indoor sport games are usually up to an hour and a half at the most with baseball possibly going longer.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2014, 7:40 AM
Too lengthy. RooDawg is correct.

IronErnin
July 10th, 2014, 9:06 AM
Then perhaps an adjustment to the rules is in order. Once the clock starts, it does not stop for anything.
I know I resent sports broadcasting that runs over its time slot on TV. When a schedule is published, that becomes a contract with the viewing public. I feel that when games over run their allotted times, the broadcasters should adhere to their published schedule. I think they should continue to record the game for rebroadcast. Just cut the broadcast short where it interferes with the schedule.

Rick
July 10th, 2014, 9:56 AM
Um...ya.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Then perhaps an adjustment to the rules is in order. Once the clock starts, it does not stop for anything.
I know I resent sports broadcasting that runs over its time slot on TV. When a schedule is published, that becomes a contract with the viewing public. I feel that when games over run their allotted times, the broadcasters should adhere to their published schedule. I think they should continue to record the game for rebroadcast. Just cut the broadcast short where it interferes with the schedule.

So the rules of football should be changed to accompany Killeen's desire to use Leo Buckley??? :))
How many high school games have you gone to? Halftime is supposed to be 15 minutes, but by the time both bands get done playing it is usually over 30 minutes. Throw in a Homecoming game, and now we're up to a 45 minute halftime.
So Team A should play on Friday night at 6PM, then Team B's game can start at 10PM?? Sure.

Night Owl
July 10th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Idiot post. Go figure. Show me the contract where you and the broadcaster signed it. What, you can't? Stupid. Where do you come up with this crap?

kantwin
July 10th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Stop broadcasting the game so that we can all watch "Real Housewives"....Yeah, that will go over well.

IronErnin
July 10th, 2014, 1:01 PM
You've forgotten the "Soldier of Fortune" murder case right here in Texas. A contract exists when someone agrees to do something at a certain time, place or for a certain value, signed document or not. The network publishes the schedule with the shows they intend to broadcast at what times. They make a contract with their viewers. A contract IS a contract IS a contract!!! They claim that the contract with the league to show the game in its entirety prevents them from honoring the schedule contract. I say they should film the game in its entirety and then, if it runs over the allotted time, cut off the game to honor the schedule, then plan a rebroadcast of the game in its entirety with time allotted for the whole game.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2014, 1:43 PM
Stop broadcasting the game so that we can all watch "Real Housewives"....Yeah, that will go over well.

That is exactly what NBC did back in 1968 - the infamous "Heidi" game between the Jets and Oakland Raiders. Was a close game, but time was up and had to switch to the movie "Heidi", so they cut off the game. In the final two minutes there were 4 or 5 TD's scored. NBC got so many phone calls that their switchboard shorted out. :))

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2014, 1:46 PM
You've forgotten the "Soldier of Fortune" murder case right here in Texas. A contract exists when someone agrees to do something at a certain time, place or for a certain value, signed document or not. The network publishes the schedule with the shows they intend to broadcast at what times. They make a contract with their viewers. A contract IS a contract IS a contract!!! They claim that the contract with the league to show the game in its entirety prevents them from honoring the schedule contract. I say they should film the game in its entirety and then, if it runs over the allotted time, cut off the game to honor the schedule, then plan a rebroadcast of the game in its entirety with time allotted for the whole game.

Who the hell would watch it then? By the time they air it via video, everyone knows the final score.
When I was in Germany the first time this is exactly what AFN used to do. Even with the SuperBowl. We didn't care if the games would come on at 9PM - we'd gladly stay up and watch it. Finally AFN figured it out and broadcast the damned things live no matter what the start time. And the Army finally figured it out too - day after SuperBowl was, for the most part, a training holiday.

Night Owl
July 10th, 2014, 2:57 PM
There's an idiot born every day and we know who got your day.:)

IronErnin
July 10th, 2014, 3:07 PM
When I was stationed on Okinawa in the early '80s, AFN wasn't allowed to air games nor even soap operas on their stateside air dates. Those who bet on the games avoided the sports page in the PSS.

Rick
July 10th, 2014, 3:10 PM
Wow! You miss a little bit of your favorite show, "The View" and you want to go all lawyer on their asses. :))

Have you ever taken them to court to try to enforce this, contract?

Agent X
July 10th, 2014, 3:33 PM
The NFL on CBS keeps messing with my "Good Wife" show on Sunday evenings.

Should I call 1-800 BAD SHOW?

siamcat
July 10th, 2014, 4:06 PM
I know Sundays are notorious for running late. I just set my DVR to record extra. Direct TV even tells me that the show could run over and that I should record extra.

Should we not have emergency weather on TV because it interrupts the published schedule? Or how about something happens like West or the Boston bombing?

Ludwig
July 10th, 2014, 4:46 PM
... about something happens like West or the Boston bombing?

There is nothing to be gained, except the honor of have a "scoop" on a story, by interrupting a show for such events. There is nothing the general public can do about it and they can show it at the regularly scheduled bad news times. Notifications go out to the responder nets a lot quicker than the news scoop anyway.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2014, 5:37 PM
I've seen plenty of storm warnings or news headlines flashed on the screen during football and other sporting events.

IronErnin
July 10th, 2014, 5:59 PM
In matters of public safety, breaking into a show is acceptable. A crawl across the bottom of the screen is usually sufficient for most supplemental info.

kantwin
July 10th, 2014, 6:07 PM
Unless that's where your TV displays the Closed Captioning.

RooDawg
July 15th, 2014, 7:30 AM
Schedules for the football games have been revised to have all home games played at Leo Buckley instead of Hood Stadium.

http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/kisd-scraps-hood-football-games/article_db022946-0bdf-11e4-a7d9-001a4bcf6878.html

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2014, 7:58 AM
I read that and think it's for the best.

sojourner truth
July 15th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Good move KISD....

gnatsum
July 15th, 2014, 5:08 PM
There IS another idea for Leo Buckley Stadium--schedule a game in the afternoon, and one in the evening!
First game kicks off at, say, 11 AM or noon. Game ends in the afternoon. Cleanup crews come in and sweep/mop up. The concession stands gets restocked. Then the crowd for the second game shows up around 6 or so.
Seem to recall that when the football playoffs are held, some of the games are stacked up at the same field. Vaguely recall a first round playoff game years ago, with Ellison at Texas Stadium in Irving. The main parking lot was getting full, as the first game was still ongoing, and the game with Ellison was next up...and I think there was a game after THAT one!

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2014, 7:36 PM
I ran into that still crowded parking lot at the AlamoDome in 2006 when Cove played down there for the state championship. There was a game earlier and it lasted longer than was expected.
Could easily have a 1PM kickoff on a Saturday and a Saturday night game.

ethelm
July 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM
But games on Saturday conflict with band competitions. And while I know some feel that doesn't matter, those kids practice long hours to be able to perform at halftime.

Iteachtoo
July 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I love day games because they remind me of college football. Band competition is only one Saturday out of the fall.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2014, 3:56 PM
But games on Saturday conflict with band competitions. And while I know some feel that doesn't matter, those kids practice long hours to be able to perform at halftime.

OK, won't kill the football team or fans to not have a band there once or two games.
Look - we're talking one or two Saturdays a season. Might not even have band competition on those days.

mac
July 16th, 2014, 4:01 PM
OK, won't kill the football team or fans to not have a band there once or two games.
Look - we're talking one or two Saturdays a season. Might not even have band competition on those days.

hmmm, and if the guys didn't have a place to play for one or two games, that'd be ok too?......it wouldn't "kill them" to default a couple of games, would it?....band, after all, is a "fine art".....mac

gnatsum
July 16th, 2014, 6:01 PM
Some teams' away games--particularly non-district--are so far away, that sometimes, the band doesn't even bother to make the trip!!
And at some games on Friday night before UIL competition, the band members take the field in polo/t-shirts and jeans--to save the regular band uniform for competition.

JohnKilleen
July 16th, 2014, 6:12 PM
Later in the fall, if there is no band competition, a double header on a Saturday would be nice. By then the game would be district matches. Might do a discount ticket for both games and possibly attract a few more locals.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2014, 7:18 PM
That would be a good idea - like you said, late in the fall when it isn't so hot.
Would love a double-header - watch Cove kick one team at 1PM, then Cove play again at 5PM and do it again. :))

Night Owl
July 16th, 2014, 8:13 PM
Some teams' away games--particularly non-district--are so far away, that sometimes, the band doesn't even bother to make the trip!!
And at some games on Friday night before UIL competition, the band members take the field in polo/t-shirts and jeans--to save the regular band uniform for competition.
Say what. After spending over a quarter million dollars on Trailers and now they won't be used. ::)

Ludwig
July 17th, 2014, 9:00 AM
Say what. After spending over a quarter million dollars on Trailers and now they won't be used. ::)

Of course they're used... as additional storage.
I never could understand that symbiosis between "football" and bands in the first place.
If half-time entertainment is necessary, we could take a lesson from the NFL and demonstrate some real fine arts instead of a cacophony.

kantwin
July 17th, 2014, 9:07 AM
Of course they're used... as additional storage.
I never could understand that symbiosis between "football" and bands in the first place.
If half-time entertainment is necessary, we could take a lesson from the NFL and demonstrate some real fine arts instead of a cacophony.
You mean like the Super Bowl performance by the Black Eyed Peas? Or Madonna?

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2014, 9:30 AM
Or Janet Jackson? :)

gnatsum
July 17th, 2014, 5:42 PM

Heard years ago that one district (Killeen?) had a travel policy--the band does not hit the road with the football team if the drive is longer than three and a half hours.
Saw Ellison play years ago in San Angelo, and the Screaming Eagle band made that trip. It takes about three hours now to get there, but the speed limit is 70 mph now...:).

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2014, 9:56 PM
Cove used to play San Angelo Central and our band would go there. Nice stadium - is actually Angelo State's stadium.

cuatro
July 18th, 2014, 10:55 AM
The entire Friday night experience with the cheerleaders, the band, the drill teams, etc. adds to the fun of the football game. As a parent of students in high school, Thursday games do not bother me at all. The kids are home by 11, and I know most high school kids stay up that late most nights anyway. If the district were to schedule a Saturday game, it has to be agreed upon by both teams, and lots of teams don't want to play on Saturday, due to using that day to look at film, go over the game notes and scouting reports from the night before, etc. I think this is a good answer and I will be happy to just travel to Leo Buckley! :)

Chief
July 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
So stay home!

JohnKilleen
July 18th, 2014, 2:15 PM
Back in the day when the 2 Killeen schools played very respected teams, KHS went to Midland and played Lee. I planned a trip to visit friends there and see the game. Our band didnt go, but we had a pretty good little crowd of Roo faithful there. If I remember correctly someone had taped the Alma Mater and the Kangaroo Fight and played it. The fight song got a good play as KHS spanked Lee on their field at Midland Memorial stadium.

Night Owl
July 18th, 2014, 2:38 PM
The entire Friday night experience with the cheerleaders, the band, the drill teams, etc. adds to the fun of the football game. As a parent of students in high school, Thursday games do not bother me at all. The kids are home by 11, and I know most high school kids stay up that late most nights anyway. If the district were to schedule a Saturday game, it has to be agreed upon by both teams, and lots of teams don't want to play on Saturday, due to using that day to look at film, go over the game notes and scouting reports from the night before, etc. I think this is a good answer and I will be happy to just travel to Leo Buckley! :)
When my daughters were in high school ( a long time ago) were in bed by 10pm on Sunday through Thursday). No exceptions, period. They were in bed at 9pm until they were Juniors. Kids need at least eight hours of rest if they are going to be awake and alert in school. Their bedtime was 8 pm until high school. They complained at first but then it became the norm and didn't mind it a bit. Friday and Saturday they had an 11pm curfew and they knew better than to be late getting home. Very few exceptions were made on their curfews. It almost had to be a church function for them to stay out later. You have to remember I was a 16 year old boy once upon a time.

CenTexDave
July 18th, 2014, 3:24 PM
What a meanie. :)

sickofpc
July 18th, 2014, 9:30 PM
Night Owl, I can pretty much assure you that you were probably the only parent in Killeen, Texas that did what you did...lol.

sickofpc
July 18th, 2014, 9:33 PM
The stadium at Hood was shameful. Playing on Thursdays and Saturdays is really not a big deal, in the scheme of things, ...Nobody,..nobody that I know of...wanted to play in that stadium at Hood...It may be great for some military things...but...not high school football.

CenTexDave
July 18th, 2014, 9:46 PM
Thursday night is not a big deal. Kids will be home in enough time to get some z's.
And I know all these coaches don't like Saturday games - either afternoon or at night - because, as someone pointed out, Saturday mornings is review the previous night's game. But tough beans - get used to it. Once in the playoffs they'll be playing on Sat afternoon or Sat night if they keep advancing. First playoff game might be on a Friday night, but that's about all.

Night Owl
July 18th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Night Owl, I can pretty much assure you that you were probably the only parent in Killeen, Texas that did what you did...lol.
And therein rests a lot of the problems. Kids don't have any rules. If they do they ignore them and nothing happens.

Iteachtoo
July 19th, 2014, 2:41 PM
It is just once in a blue moon. It does not mean they will be getting home late everyday of the year. Just once or twice during the fall. I have insomnia that hits me more than that.

Night Owl
July 19th, 2014, 4:25 PM
Yea but you and I are old.:))

Chief
July 26th, 2014, 2:34 AM
The stadium at Hood was shameful. Playing on Thursdays and Saturdays is really not a big deal, in the scheme of things, ...Nobody,..nobody that I know of...wanted to play in that stadium at Hood...It may be great for some military things...but...not high school football.

It wasn't built for high school football. It was built for soldiers and their family members. If you want to use military facilities join the damn Army.

onetime
July 26th, 2014, 9:59 AM
When my daughters were in high school ( a long time ago) were in bed by 10pm on Sunday through Thursday). No exceptions, period. They were in bed at 9pm until they were Juniors. Kids need at least eight hours of rest if they are going to be awake and alert in school. Their bedtime was 8 pm until high school. They complained at first but then it became the norm and didn't mind it a bit. Friday and Saturday they had an 11pm curfew and they knew better than to be late getting home. Very few exceptions were made on their curfews. It almost had to be a church function for them to stay out later. You have to remember I was a 16 year old boy once upon a time.

I like the idea of curfews and strict times to be in bed as I had them, well I had to be in bed by 10, but I as a male was not allowed to hang out with friends until after my graduation. I graduated early, but it was still a drag, the only thing that makes me think that I may want to do it differently is the fact that you see so many wayward kids in college that were under the same rigid standards. I've come to the thinking that it is less about the "times" and more about the instruction that you give them and pray for the best afterwards. I personally believe that parenting is a crap shoot with the only real equalizer being money to bail kids out when they get into financial or legal troubles. I think some parents do it right, but its an outlier and not the norm. I could not tell you how many kids just could not handle the all the "other stuff" when I was getting my bachelors degree or how many kids could have or should have went further then myself post grad but again could not get out of their own way to see what the prize would be.

onetime
July 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Thursday night is not a big deal. Kids will be home in enough time to get some z's.
And I know all these coaches don't like Saturday games - either afternoon or at night - because, as someone pointed out, Saturday mornings is review the previous night's game. But tough beans - get used to it. Once in the playoffs they'll be playing on Sat afternoon or Sat night if they keep advancing. First playoff game might be on a Friday night, but that's about all.

I have some insight on this Dave, again thanks for the hot sports take, as a local high school fan you really do not want your local high school teams playing on saturdays. It creates a disadvantage for so many reasons, first it is a grind playing a friday, then thursday, then saturday game. It is about more then just reviewing the previous game, but scouting the opponent for the next week and creating a game plan that fits with what the kids can do. When you play on Saturday night the prep spills into the week which takes away from class preparation. Honestly I think they would be better off doing it like the big cities opening games, have a thursday night game, a friday game at 4:30 and another at 8 PM let whoever wants to stay in the stadium stay for free (well maybe not the kids) then in October when it begins to cool down have some games at 10AM and 1:30 on saturdays. One other note, the playoffs are the playoffs Dave completely different from playing a week 1, 4, 7, 10 Saturday game.

CenTexDave
July 26th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Makes sense. Texas weather does play a lot to do with it too. A Saturday afternoon game in September could be downright dangerous and surely would be hot and uncomfortable in the stands. On the other hand, I remember well that Saturday night game when Cove played Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated for the state championship. Was extremely cold and windy and downright miserable. It bothered the players also. Just not used to that cold down here. It should have been played Saturday afternoon.