PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Name Change

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2014, 1:17 PM
I'm sure Daniel Snyder, who is almost as big a jerk as Jerry, really cares - Harry Reid says he will boycott Redskins' games until Snyder changes their name. :))

http://tracking.si.com/2014/06/17/us-sen-harry-reid-wont-attend-redskins-games/?xid=si_nfl

Night Owl
June 17th, 2014, 3:07 PM
I'm sure Daniel Snyder, who is almost as big a jerk as Jerry, really cares - Harry Reid says he will boycott Redskins' games until Snyder changes their name. :))

http://tracking.si.com/2014/06/17/us-sen-harry-reid-wont-attend-redskins-games/?xid=si_nfl
Reed is more than happy watching fairies playing in the park.:))

Rick
June 17th, 2014, 3:24 PM
Harry Reid says he will boycott Redskins' games until Snyder changes their name. :))

That's reason enough to keep the name the same.

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2014, 4:16 PM
Exactly.
If this should come about, then who is next - the Cleveland Indians? The Atlanta Braves? Kansas City Chiefs? Chicago Blackhawks?
It's bad enough that the NCAA brought pressure to bear on some of the schools to change their names - Stanford Cardinal used to be the Stanford Indians, Miami Red Hawks used to be the Miami Redskins.
Maybe Reid would be happy of the name change from the Washington Redskins to the Los Angeles Redskins? :))
I'm so tired of these moron libs and this PC garbage!

sickofpc
June 17th, 2014, 5:01 PM
This is the classic example of pc garbage...I NEVER felt like the Redskins name was derogatory...I always just thought of it as standing for a very powerful professional football team...I guess I'm just not, and never will be, pc....I do hope Snyder stands strong on this... BTW, I know some black Americans that don't like to be called African Americans...they don't like that at all...and some whites (rolling my eyes) that think all whites should be called European Americans or whatever they think they should be called because of their background,...if blacks are AA.... Ummm Ummmmmm

sojourner truth
June 17th, 2014, 6:33 PM
As a person of Native American heritage, the Redskins logo has never bothered me, but then I'm not a big supporter of Grievance Industry thinking.

Maybe we can get Bob Costas to boycott the games too.:)

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2014, 8:46 PM
I remember many years ago this same crap started with the Cleveland Indians. It was pointed out to then idiot libs that the team was formerly known as the Cleveland Spiders. No - the insect world wasn't pissed. The name was changed to Indians because their center fielder, and best player at the time, was a full blood American Indian. Shut the idiots up then.

sojourner truth
June 17th, 2014, 9:12 PM
Well, maybe they can sell the redskins to the Phillipines and rename them the "Manilla Folders".

Night Owl
June 17th, 2014, 9:17 PM
5/5. Too dang funny.

Grammar Rules
June 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
The US Patent office has refused to patent some team mdse because the name is degrading. Hoo boy, here we go......

CenTexDave
June 18th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Snyder has plenty of resources to start a lawsuit if he so desires.

Rick
June 18th, 2014, 12:20 PM
The US Patent office has refused to patent some team mdse because the name is degrading. Hoo boy, here we go......
Actually, what the federal government did was cancel the trademarks that were fine and dandy when issued in 1967.

sojourner truth
June 18th, 2014, 1:09 PM
Harry Reid has come out and stated that the team will not be able to use the name any more.

Well, I suppose that settles it. It is now against the law to name a sports team anything that might offend someone.

Guess the Braves and the Indians are next, since they have been targeted as well for years.

I bet the Browns may have a problem too. If the fish get peeved, or PETA gets involved, the Cardinals and Rays will have to go too. Look out Kangaroos, the Ausies are laying for you.

CenTexDave
June 18th, 2014, 2:05 PM
Snyder has already said they are appealing. I remember, think it was in the 90's, that a Federal judge said there was nothing wrong with the name.
But will be interesting to see what happens when the NFL season opens as to how the 'Skins are referred to.
And Harry Reid needs to ........................ (fill in the blank. :))

Ludwig
June 18th, 2014, 3:02 PM
Actually, what the federal government did was cancel the trademarks that were fine and dandy when issued in 1967.

Please, Rick! Don't confuse the kindly old lady with facts. Spin is so much more fun.

CenTexDave
June 18th, 2014, 4:04 PM
Harry Reid has come out and stated that the team will not be able to use the name any more.

Well, I suppose that settles it. It is now against the law to name a sports team anything that might offend someone.

Guess the Braves and the Indians are next, since they have been targeted as well for years.

I bet the Browns may have a problem too. If the fish get peeved, or PETA gets involved, the Cardinals and Rays will have to go too. Look out Kangaroos, the Ausies are laying for you.

Green Bay has had it now. The Packers' name will obviously be no-no for the gay community. :)

gnatsum
June 18th, 2014, 5:01 PM
From what I've been told, not everyone in the gay community "packs". The Packers name comes from the local meatpacking industry.
Read somewhere some time ago that the name 'Redskins' is MORE offensive than 'Indians', 'Braves', or even tribal names (Seminoles, Cherokees, Apaches), because 'Redskin' is along the lines of calling someone a 'kike' or 'chink'. NO ONE would use those names for a sports team, so why use 'Redskins'.
The overly-PC crowd has been trying for years to get sports teams to stop using Indian tribal names and mascots, as it somehow "demeans" Our Native Americans. Think that Florida State University managed to hold onto the Seminoles team name and mascot, due to the University's outreach and support of the tribe's membership in Florida. Redskins is too vague and too much of a negative slur to be "good".
LOTS of Native American "mascots" and teams in collegiate sports--the Fighting Illini, the Orangemen, the Seminoles...

Why not go after Polaris for that company's recent trademark buyout to be able to manufacture Indian motorcycles in the U.S.?!?

CenTexDave
June 18th, 2014, 5:27 PM
Indian motorcycles are great, and I'm glad they made a big comeback just like Harley-Davidson did.
So I guess the Cleveland Browns are gonna be history - surely that name is offensive.
Or how about Ghana's mens' national soccer team - the Black Stars?? That country and their players don't seem offended.
It's all a bunch of liberal hogwash. If I was Snyder I would revoke any season tickets owned by a democrap. They can all kiss my a$$.

sojourner truth
June 18th, 2014, 5:44 PM
Yep... I just found out there is an Indian dealership here in Heights. And I must have driven past it going to church for months without noticing it. That, and the new Twin Peaks.

And, as a white guy who is also part redskin, I don't get upset with the name. Any more than being identified as a white man.

Grammar Rules
June 18th, 2014, 6:34 PM
Please, Rick! Don't confuse the kindly old lady with facts. Spin is so much more fun.

Old? You're calling me OLD? ::giggle

Here are some facts, Pops. =;.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. government tribunal canceled trademarks of the NFL's Washington Redskins on Wednesday because they disparage Native Americans, setting the stage for a court battle with the team's owner.

The 2-1 decision by a Patent and Trademark Office administrative tribunal heightens pressure on the Washington club to change its name following decades of criticism by Native Americans and others who say it is a slur.

The franchise said it would appeal the ruling in the case, in which five Native Americans had sought to overturn six Redskins' trademarks.

The Patent Office tribunal found that at least 30 percent of Native Americans found the name "Redskins" disparaging from 1967 to 1990, when the trademarks were registered.

"Petitioners have shown by a preponderance of the evidence that a substantial composite of Native Americans found the term REDSKINS to be disparaging in connection with respondent’s services during the relevant time frame," the decision said.

The ruling does not mean that the trademarks can no longer be used by the National Football League club, only that they are no longer registered. The trademark protection remains until appeals are completed.

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III scrambles against the Philadelphia Eagles' de …
The decision strips the franchise of legal presumption of ownership and the ability to use the federal trademark symbol and block importation of counterfeit Redskins goods.

Bob Raskopf, a trademark attorney for the Redskins, said the club would appeal the ruling to federal court. He said the case was the same as one in which the tribunal canceled the Redskins' trademarks in 1999.

A court overturned that decision on appeal, saying the petitioners had waited too long to assert their rights after the first Redskins' trademark was issued in 1967.

TRADITION

Citing tradition and history, team owner Daniel Snyder for 14 years has defied calls to change the club's name, which dates from the 1930s.

The NFL, the most popular sports league in the United States, declined to comment and referred reporters to Raskopf's statement.

Analysts said the ruling had limited impact since it affected only six team trademarks and registration safeguards remained intact during appeal.

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III passes against the Baltimore Ravens in the second …
But the decision put more pressure on the Redskins to change the team's name, given rising public objection to it, they said.

"This could be close to the final straw in forcing the NFL and Daniel Snyder to change the name of the team," said Brad Newberg, a trademark lawyer with Reed Smith LLP in Falls Church, Virginia, said in an email.

He added that if the opinion was upheld, the team could use the Redskins trademark without much trouble. But its ability to stop others from using the Redskins name would be limited, cutting into team profits and marketing, he said.

The decision drew praise from the Oneida Indian Nation and the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI), which have campaigned against the name.

The ruling will prompt a name change "if only because it imperils the ability of the team’s billionaire owner to keep profiting off the denigration and dehumanization of Native Americans," Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter and NCAI Executive Director Jackie Pata said in a statement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-patent-office-cancels-trademarks-nfls-washington-redskins-143411108--nfl.html;_ylt=AwrSbmfOHqJTuCwAXqTBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMT E0Y2Yya2NxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1RB VVMwNDlfMQ--

Here is what I think. The name is offensive if people are offended by it. However, I don't see where it's the business of the patent office to rectify it. If people refuse to attend games or purchase the merchandise, the name will be changed.

Ludwig
June 18th, 2014, 8:01 PM
... Here is what I think. The name is offensive if people are offended by it. However, I don't see where it's the business of the patent office to rectify it. If people refuse to attend games or purchase the merchandise, the name will be changed.

Yes, I am older than dirt... that fact does not, however, change your status to youthful. :)

As the facts you now report attest, the tribunal removed the Trademark registration from the Redskins, not any patents which that organization may hold.

For what it's worth, I agree that a name is offensive if people are offended by it. Personally, since I flunked Freshman English in High School, I have always found "grammar" to be an offensive name. :))

mac
June 18th, 2014, 8:05 PM
From what I've been told, not everyone in the gay community "packs". The Packers name comes from the local meatpacking industry?!?

eeewww!.......God, that's gross!.......mac

Ludwig
June 18th, 2014, 8:26 PM
eeewww!.......God, that's gross!.......mac

He already knew that.

Grammar Rules
June 18th, 2014, 8:56 PM
Yes, I am older than dirt... that fact does not, however, change your status to youthful. :)

I may not be young, but I'm playful, sometimes immature, and have a sense of humor. Close enough.

For what it's worth, I agree that a name is offensive if people are offended by it. Personally, since I flunked Freshman English in High School, I have always found "grammar" to be an offensive name. :))

And we have something in common. I've flunked a number of freshman English students. Also sophomores and seniors. ;)

onetime
June 20th, 2014, 9:01 PM
A few points that were not mentioned, since they are no longer trademarked anyone can come out and make a washington T-shirt and not suffer the consequences of trademark infringement lawsuit. As usual we have people screaming liberal media and pc is getting out of control, sheer ignorance, what does it matter to "you" whether a billionaire loses his right to keep a derogatory nickname for his hobby. All in all if they remove all of the native american names then I say great. Such a thing would not even be an issue if it were involved with any other race or ethnicity. Check out these names and tell me if they would stick, the San Antonio "Wetbacks", the San Francisco Zips, the New York Jews, the Detroit Negros, the St. Louis Jihads, the New England Aryans, and lastly the Houston "Wettos".

Ludwig
June 20th, 2014, 9:33 PM
No onetime, you are mixing apples and oranges. The reason for the discontent with the "Redskins" is not because of the ethnic identity per se but because of the pejorative ethnic slur being used. There are the Florida Seminoles which no objects to, as well as the Atlanta Braves. To make your point, you would have to say not
San Antonio "Wetbacks" That is not pejorative, just descriptive. A better one would be "San Antonio Greasers," you would not say,
the San Francisco Zips but instead "San Fracisco Fags," not
the New York Jews but "New York Kikes," not
the Detroit Negros but "Detroit Darkies" (even here I don't want to use the "N" word but it would also fit) not
the St. Louis Jihads but "St. Louis Ragheads, and not
the New England Aryans but the "New England Nazis"

and lastly the Houston "Wettos".but rather "Houston Crackers."

onetime
June 20th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Great follow up, but ultimately my point was that I would be glad to see all of them removed because there are groups out there that dislike the indians and the other teams you mentioned, so I think I was spot on. With that said if we inserted any of the team names you chose it would lead to the same discontent by the groups it depicted.

Night Owl
June 21st, 2014, 12:06 AM
Great follow up, but ultimately my point was that I would be glad to see all of them removed because there are groups out there that dislike the indians and the other teams you mentioned, so I think I was spot on. With that said if we inserted any of the team names you chose it would lead to the same discontent by the groups it depicted.
So because a few don't like a name we should change it? I don't like the New York Giants so should the name be changed. Why not, it offends me. I think they should be called the fairies. Or what about the l
ions? Should it be changed because someone is offended? Where does it stop?

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2014, 6:47 AM
Snyder will appeal, and Snyder will win.
And these lib politicians who keep pushing for this kind of crap will be history soon.

IronErnin
June 21st, 2014, 10:33 AM
Snyder will appeal, and Snyder will win.
And these lib politicians who keep pushing for this kind of crap will be history soon.

Snyder may appeal and Snyder may win. But libturd politialticians won't ever go the way of the dodo. They'll continue to spawn new generations to replace the older ones.

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2014, 10:55 AM
Of course, and to add more we just open the border and let millions come here to get their freebies.

sickofpc
June 21st, 2014, 11:55 AM
Was thinking about this.....We probably need to get rid of our Dallas team's name...who wants to be known as a Cow Boy? :doh....This is all so freakin rediculous:cowdung...makes me sick.....sickofpc...

Grammar Rules
June 21st, 2014, 11:59 AM
So because a few don't like a name we should change it? I don't like the New York Giants so should the name be changed. Why not, it offends me. I think they should be called the fairies. Or what about the l
ions? Should it be changed because someone is offended? Where does it stop?

I was half-listening to the news a day or two ago, and I heard something about the govt's standard being if 30% are offended, it has to go.

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2014, 12:21 PM
Who decides the government standard - Obama??
I'd be willing to bet that not nearly 30% of Native Americans are offended by the Redskins' name, and if you take into account part blood Native Americans it's probably not even on the scale.

Ludwig
June 21st, 2014, 3:09 PM
I was half-listening to the news a day or two ago, and I heard something about the govt's standard being if 30% are offended, it has to go.

Well then, when is BHO going to step down. Recent polls have shown that more than 50% of us are offended by him being in the White House... maybe even more if we count his partner in crime.

Ludwig
June 21st, 2014, 3:13 PM
Who decides the government standard - Obama??...

No, the nattering nabobs of discontent with deep pockets and some professional politicians. Of course then the butt-licking Democrats and the 47% national parasites are there as backup to inflate the discontent.

mac
June 21st, 2014, 3:36 PM
Who decides the government standard - Obama??
I'd be willing to bet that not nearly 30% of Native Americans are offended by the Redskins' name, and if you take into account part blood Native Americans it's probably not even on the scale.

and it gets sillier and sillier the longer you look at it. i'm 1/32nd Sac, 2 of my daughters are 1/64th, 6 of my grandkids are 1/128 and 2 of my great grandkids are 1/256th......mac

sojourner truth
June 25th, 2014, 9:04 PM
Someone today proposed the team change its name to the Washington Reagans...

As much as I loved Reagen, that just doesn't sound right.

Any more than the Dallas Cowentities.

I also saw where the White House was doing some sort of tribute and misspelled the mans name...Twice..On the same memo.

Night Owl
June 25th, 2014, 9:17 PM
Someone today proposed the team change its name to the Washington Reagans...

As much as I loved Reagen, that just doesn't sound right.

Any more than the Dallas Cowentities.

I also saw where the White House was doing some sort of tribute and misspelled the mans name...Twice..On the same memo.
I'm sure it wasn't a mistake.

gnatsum
June 26th, 2014, 5:53 PM
Read some years ago that some media--radio, TV, print--are doing "interesting" things about "offensive" team names--they AREN'T mentioning them in their news stories!
For example, if a radio station thought that 'Redskins' was an offensive name, then a story on the Cowboys losing to the Redskins would ONLY be referenced as "Washington defeats Dallas", and the mascot name would NEVER be used on air.
Also read that some outlets will NOT use "naming rights" for sports venue. For example, the Cowboys play in Arlington, but some media will not use 'AT&T Stadium' in the story. Others will not refer to the racetrack in Charlotte as 'Lowes Motor Speedway' when doing NASCAR reports.

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 1:43 PM
Would be right along the lines of the liberal MSM.
I was thinking today - who really started this crap about the Washington Redskins? I seriously doubt it was a Native American. If it was, why are they not upset with our Army - Apache helicopters, Mohawk helicopters, Blackhawk helicopters, the A-10 Warthog, the Commanche chopper that was cancelled, etc?

mac
July 30th, 2014, 2:00 PM
I was thinking today - who really started this crap about the Washington Redskins? I seriously doubt it was a Native American. If it was, why are they not upset with our Army - Apache helicopters, Mohawk helicopters, Blackhawk helicopters, the A-10 Warthog, the Commanche chopper that was cancelled, etc?a

the warthogs are really really upset! you didn't know that?......mac

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 2:36 PM
I figured they were, but needed you to confirm it, Mac. :)

Grammar Rules
July 30th, 2014, 4:24 PM
His mare clued him in since he doesn't directly communicate with warthogs.

How about Raiders? Offensive to anyone but Jerry Jones?
San Antonio City Manager Sheryl Sculley released this statement Tuesday night:

“Oakland Raiders officials were in San Antonio in July to attend the Prairie View Interscholastic League Hall of Fame induction of Cliff Branch and met with community representatives regarding the possible use of the Alamodome for future NFL games and potential relocation of the Oakland Raiders from Oakland, California to San Antonio. These discussions are in a very preliminary stage.”

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis released this statement on Twitter:

"I was in San Antonio to honor Cliff Branch on his induction into the PVILCA. Former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros is a friend and Henry suggested I take the opportunity to meet with some of the city officials while we were in town. I have nothing further to discuss on the topic."
www.ksat.com

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 4:56 PM
I saw that today. Sorry, couldn't get behind the Raiders being in San Antonio. And I doubt most people in Bexar County won't either if this is really serious and they find out the cost of a new stadium. The Alamodome would work for a year or two while another stadium is being built, but with the costs of these new stadiums approaching, or even at, $1B I think too many people would be against funding it.

kantwin
July 30th, 2014, 7:36 PM
I was thinking today - who really started this crap about the Washington Redskins? I seriously doubt it was a Native American. If it was, why are they not upset with our Army - Apache helicopters, Mohawk helicopters, Blackhawk helicopters, the A-10 Warthog, the Commanche chopper that was cancelled, etc?
Mohawk was a fixed wing aircraft. OV-1.

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 7:45 PM
OK, forgot that. So planes and choppers. I was thinking of the Scout helicopter.

mac
July 30th, 2014, 7:54 PM

was and is.....

onetime
July 30th, 2014, 7:56 PM
I saw that today. Sorry, couldn't get behind the Raiders being in San Antonio. And I doubt most people in Bexar County won't either if this is really serious and they find out the cost of a new stadium. The Alamodome would work for a year or two while another stadium is being built, but with the costs of these new stadiums approaching, or even at, $1B I think too many people would be against funding it.

I disagree Dave, I think you can get most people on board with the NFL "almost" anywhere to include Killeen. I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives for such a venture even in San Antonio. They can't be any worse then they are now and either way they are going to get one as the NFL is talking about expanding to 34 teams by 2016!

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 8:26 PM
I'm sure you'll donate to the construction fund then. :)

kantwin
July 30th, 2014, 8:34 PM
was and is.....
Sure, but mainly in museums now. It was retired in the mid 90s by the US.
There aren't many flying now.

ClickaNerd
July 30th, 2014, 8:42 PM

I called it a flying brick with a glide ratio of a bird turd.

Worked on Guardrail & Quicklook in Wiesbaden Germany in the early 80's

mac
July 30th, 2014, 8:58 PM

I think we had 2 on post in '90 when I was retired....it was an interesting AC with interesting missions......mac

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 9:00 PM
15th MI Bn, 504th MI Bde still had them in late 90's. Were recon/intel birds. I'm not sure when they finally retired those.

onetime
July 30th, 2014, 9:39 PM
I'm sure you'll donate to the construction fund then. :)

Seriously, you wouldn't take a tax hike to have a sports franchise 20 minutes up the road from where you live?

Night Owl
July 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Seriously, you wouldn't take a tax hike to have a sports franchise 20 minutes up the road from where you live?
No, I wouldn't. Sports isn't the end all of life.

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2014, 11:01 PM
The Davis family have been cheap skates for years. That's one reason the Raiders haven't done much in a long time. If they want a new stadium, them build it. I am dead set against cities and counties and even states building stadiums for pro sports teams. If they owner can't hack it, then pack it.

CenTexDave
July 31st, 2014, 10:39 PM
Now I see Hillary has jumped on the bandwagon by "demanding" Daniel Snyder changes the name of his team.
Good thing I'm not Snyder, for I would have quite a few choice words for this lying piece of fecal matter.

gnatsum
August 1st, 2014, 5:47 PM

I might've posted on this topic here earlier (Me too lazy to go back and check...:)) ), but for many people, the word "Redskin" is just as bad as using the N-word, or some inflammatory moniker like 'Chink', 'Kike, and 'Dago'. The military equipment names you mentioned are specific Native American tribal names, but then, some Liberal groups are just as bent out of shape on "white groups" using those 'names' as sports teams/mascots.
The Libs don't want the Cleveland Indians, the University of Illinois Fighting Illini, the Florida Seminoles, the Atlanta Braves, or anybody else for that matter, "using" names of tribes...except for the tribes themselves (Choctaw Casino & Resort, anyone?)

Wondering why they haven't gone after Polaris (they brought back the Indian motorcycle!!) or Mohawk Tires, or...

kantwin
August 1st, 2014, 5:52 PM
Oklahoma is Choctaw for "red people". Looks like they'll have change the state name...

IronErnin
August 1st, 2014, 6:55 PM
Since the AF was created as a separate service, the US Army has named the majority of its aircraft after native American tribes. I believe the practice is in homage to those tribes.

Night Owl
August 1st, 2014, 8:23 PM
I might've posted on this topic here earlier (Me too lazy to go back and check...:)) ), but for many people, the word "Redskin" is just as bad as using the N-word, or some inflammatory moniker like 'Chink', 'Kike, and 'Dago'. The military equipment names you mentioned are specific Native American tribal names, but then, some Liberal groups are just as bent out of shape on "white groups" using those 'names' as sports teams/mascots.
The Libs don't want the Cleveland Indians, the University of Illinois Fighting Illini, the Florida Seminoles, the Atlanta Braves, or anybody else for that matter, "using" names of tribes...except for the tribes themselves (Choctaw Casino & Resort, anyone?)

Wondering why they haven't gone after Polaris (they brought back the Indian motorcycle!!) or Mohawk Tires, or...
Define "many" people, please. Having lived among Indians, or should I say reservation Indians, until the ripe old age of 12. My best friend was an Indian. They never had a problem with redskin. It's kinda like Africican Americans. They were fine with Negro, then, black, etc etc. now they are offended by everything. All I can say is get a life and feel honored that a major sports is recognizing your people. A name is only degrading if you want it to be.

Rick
August 2nd, 2014, 3:22 AM
I wonder how many times Obama, Hillary, Bill, Harry, "Naked" Joe, and Nancy have been wined and dined for free in the executive suites at a Redskins game.

sojourner truth
August 2nd, 2014, 7:44 PM
Making me laugh as I watch the Rangers losing yet another game to the Indians...

Warthog was loved by its pilots, but hated by the brass because it wasn't sexy enough. Had a friend who was a Warthog squadron commander and almost cried when they shut it down.

kantwin
August 2nd, 2014, 8:19 PM
Making me laugh as I watch the Rangers losing yet another game to the Indians... Warthog was loved by its pilots, but hated by the brass because it wasn't sexy enough. Had a friend who was a Warthog squadron commander and almost cried when they shut it down.
As I said before, the brass is also looking to line the pockets of industry, which the warthog doesn't do.

CenTexDave
August 2nd, 2014, 8:42 PM
I thought I read they didn't retire the A-10 Warthog, as had been planned. They definitely are still a potent weapon against armor and the type of stuff the Muslims in Iraq are currently using.

Ludwig
August 2nd, 2014, 9:02 PM
Yes, well lovingly call it "Warthog" because she is so ugly. Her real name, however, is Thunderbolt.

CenTexDave
August 2nd, 2014, 9:17 PM
Thank you, Mein Herr. Most of us haven't totally forgot our military names.

CenTexDave
August 2nd, 2014, 9:56 PM
Making me laugh as I watch the Rangers losing yet another game to the Indians...

Warthog was loved by its pilots, but hated by the brass because it wasn't sexy enough. Had a friend who was a Warthog squadron commander and almost cried when they shut it down.

You'll be happy to know the Tribe shut them out tonight, 2-0. :)

CenTexDave
August 3rd, 2014, 5:22 PM
SWEEP!!!!!!!!!! :))

Night Owl
August 3rd, 2014, 7:49 PM
The Rangers officially suck this year. They really messed up when they let Nolan leave.

CenTexDave
August 3rd, 2014, 8:52 PM
And Hamilton. And.........................

CenTexDave
August 22nd, 2014, 9:37 PM
The Washington Post just announced they will stop using the name "Redskins".
"WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Washington Post says it will stop calling Washington's football team the ''Redskins'' on its editorial page.

The paper's editorial board announced Friday that it will refrain from using the term that it says ''unquestionably offends not only many Native Americans but many other Americans, too.''
The board operates independently of the paper's newsgathering operation. The Post will continue to use ''Redskins'' in the news and sports sections."
If I was Daniel Snyder I would cancel any seating for the Washington Post and bar them from any post-game interviews and press briefings. I would definitely ask my entire roster to make one huge commercial telling Congress to go pound sand, that they are the Redskins and proud of it. Any player refusing to participate I would trade or cut. And I would definitely start looking to move this team out of the D.C. area. These blow hards don't want a team called the Washington Redskins, then give them what they want - no team at all.
L.A. and San Antonio would surely welcome them.

fchafey
August 22nd, 2014, 9:54 PM
A professional football team in San Antonio?, I bet just the mention of that makes Jerry flinch..... Redskins, Raiders, Jaguars who cares let them come and they will be supported....

CenTexDave
August 22nd, 2014, 10:03 PM
I'm trying to think of some other large metro areas besides LA or San Antonio that would want a team. Any city would be nuts not to want one, and that's why I find these politicians' behavior so puzzling.
I bet Toronto would just love an NFL franchise. Maybe even London? Honolulu? Omaha? Stuff it, Harry Reid.

fchafey
August 22nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
And Oklahoma City I would think. The Toronto Argonauts are pretty well supported. I understand the NFL wants to put a team in London, possibly even Frankfurt or Madrid. I remember the Cardianls-Cowboys game a few years a go in Mexico, that was huge sell out. Maybe L. A. can keep a team, doubt it though.

mac
August 22nd, 2014, 11:03 PM
A professional football team in San Antonio?, I bet just the mention of that makes Jerry flinch..... Redskins, Raiders, Jaguars who cares let them come and they will be supported....

i'm not a football guy but you are absolutely right about that. san anton wouldn't have room for all the dollars and pesos they would make if they could score a nfl franchise. the arena couldn't be one of those with all the high priced seats and all but if they had regular seats.......shoot, they'd be sold out all the time. big big problem with drunks though. san anton happens to be my favorite big city but it's really really something else......mac

CenTexDave
August 23rd, 2014, 12:11 AM
And Oklahoma City I would think. The Toronto Argonauts are pretty well supported. I understand the NFL wants to put a team in London, possibly even Frankfurt or Madrid. I remember the Cardianls-Cowboys game a few years a go in Mexico, that was huge sell out. Maybe L. A. can keep a team, doubt it though.

You think Jerry would crap if San Antonio got an NFL team - hell, OKC is even closer to him. lol Frankfurt might be good, but not nearly as many soldiers around there as there used to be. Not so sure that large crowds would go watch once the novelty wore off. Same with Madrid. Mexico City is just too damn hot. And LA would keep a team if they had a stadium - that LA Coliseum might work for the Southern Cal Trojans but won't hack it for an NFL team.

CenTexDave
August 23rd, 2014, 12:12 AM
i'm not a football guy but you are absolutely right about that. san anton wouldn't have room for all the dollars and pesos they would make if they could score a nfl franchise. the arena couldn't be one of those with all the high priced seats and all but if they had regular seats.......shoot, they'd be sold out all the time. big big problem with drunks though. san anton happens to be my favorite big city but it's really really something else......mac

The Alamo Dome could work for a couple of years until a new stadium is built.

sojourner truth
August 23rd, 2014, 8:38 AM
I heard the Redskins were changing their name to the "Capital Caucasians"....

Ludwig
August 23rd, 2014, 9:38 AM
Capital Caliphate would please our resident golfer more.

mac
August 23rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
I wish the owner would come out at a press conference or something like that and just ask everybody there, "would any of you object to the "Paleskins"?. I doubt if any "paleskins" would take umbrage.....although personally I think the "moleskins" or "kidskins" might be nice too. (as you can prob'ly tell, I don't know nothing about football).......mac

Night Owl
August 23rd, 2014, 10:27 AM
I like the deadskins or even the foreskins (golf term mac:)).

mac
August 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
or maybe the "Washington Aboriginals".......that oughtta be ok....mac

kantwin
August 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Or maybe the Washington Redskins.
Keep it as it is.
To hell with PC.

sojourner truth
August 23rd, 2014, 10:47 AM
Aboriginals... That always gives me a chuckle because when I hear it, I keep getting a picture of my ancestors throwing boomerangs and playing diggereedos in the billabong.

mac
August 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Or maybe the Washington Redskins.
Keep it as it is.
To hell with PC.

well, threre's really no need to hurt someone if you don't need to, is there?.....mac

kantwin
August 23rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
Sticks and stones. Those hurt.
Or didn't you learn that one?

mac
August 23rd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Sticks and stones. Those hurt.
Or didn't you learn that one?

that's called "bravado", kantwin......and you believe it?

you wouldn't care to buy a bridge, would you? I might have something that'll interest you.....mac

CenTexDave
August 23rd, 2014, 11:56 AM
Foreskins would work, seeing Congress is all a bunch of dick heads. :)

sojourner truth
August 23rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Richard Craniums, Dave,.... Richard craniums. Remember PC and all that.

Or like my wife refers to them.. Testicularly challenged.