PDA

View Full Version : ENCHANTED ROCK STATE PARK

The321
June 15th, 2014, 10:18 AM
We are planning a trip on the forth of July weekend to Enchanted rock to do some camping. I've been there but it's been over 15 years since I last went. Has anyone gone here and had any problems with drinking a few adult drinks. I know what the rules say. I've also read up on the state law of public display. I was thinking If doing so I would be wise to just have a handy red solo cup and remain low key during this trip.

Shotgun Jeremy
June 15th, 2014, 9:25 PM
Just get a camel-bak :D

kantwin
June 15th, 2014, 9:33 PM
Just get a camel-bak :D
Or a bota bag.

just2cents
June 16th, 2014, 2:53 AM
We are planning a trip on the forth of July weekend to Enchanted rock to do some camping. I've been there but it's been over 15 years since I last went. Has anyone gone here and had any problems with drinking a few adult drinks. I know what the rules say. I've also read up on the state law of public display. I was thinking If doing so I would be wise to just have a handy red solo cup and remain low key during this trip.

How about just obeying the law? This is what gets me tee off. You have not done it yet, but the ones on here that pick and choose what laws they follow.

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 10:08 AM
IIRC, the law says no "public" consumption, and I believe "public" is defined as visible. If it isn't visible, I don't think they have a problem with it.
But, of course, not visible means no visible trash and no visible behavior.
I don't think you will have a problem with that last one, but many people seem to forget the trash part.
I had a neighbor at Inks Lake (same rules) got in trouble because of that.

How about just obeying the law? This is what gets me tee off. You have not done it yet, but the ones on here that pick and choose what laws they follow.Of course I pick and choose the laws I follow.
With 80,000+ pages of incomprehensible laws, I expect that no matter what I do, I will be breaking some of them.

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Of course just2cents just blindly follows all laws.

mac
June 16th, 2014, 10:52 AM

until it's changed......mac

Dagobert II
June 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM
How about just obeying the law? This is what gets me tee off. You have not done it yet, but the ones on here that pick and choose what laws they follow.
"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Ayn Rand (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/ayn_rand.html)

Night Owl
June 16th, 2014, 11:39 AM
I bet you obey every law on the books, even those you don't know. :doh

curmudgeon
June 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM
You've got to have bottles, cans, etc out of view or they'll harass you. Especially on a busy weekend. But if you put your beverages in glasses, containers etc you should be ok. I had a ranger harass me at South Llano state park recently. We were quiet and clean but he "knew" what was in the red solo cups. So the next time I went, we used metal camping cups and reusable water bottles.

just2cents
June 16th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I bet you obey every law on the books, even those you don't know. :doh
If one knows what they are doing is wrong... It seems simple don't do it.

Dagobert II
June 16th, 2014, 12:24 PM
If one knows what they are doing is wrong... It seems simple don't do it.Do you know the difference between 'wrong' and 'illegal'?

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Do you know the difference between 'wrong' and 'illegal'?You must have forgotten that his god is the government.
Go back and do a review of his posts in national politics and you will see that.

Grammar Rules
June 16th, 2014, 1:22 PM
The website for Texas State Parks say alcohol isn't allowed in the parks. Maybe the individual rangers or employees let you slide if you're not obvious and/or obnoxious, but it would be better to be satisfied with fresh air, great scenery, and soft drinks.

Bring your own charcoal or firewood too, since gathering wood is prohibited.

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 2:26 PM
The website for Texas State Parks say alcohol isn't allowed in the parks. Maybe the individual rangers or employees let you slide if you're not obvious and/or obnoxious, but it would be better to be satisfied with fresh air, great scenery, and soft drinks.

Bring your own charcoal or firewood too, since gathering wood is prohibited.Ok, either the rules have changed, or I am mistaken about them being the same at both TPW parks and LCRA Parks (Inks is LCRA, though TPW runs it, I think). Most likely, the rules have changed.

Oh, yes, gathering or cutting firewood is a big NO NO.
As is feeding the animals.

The321
June 16th, 2014, 5:13 PM
Let me clear a few things up. It sounds like I'm going to drink for three full days 24 hours a day. That isn't going to happen. But in the evening I'd like to enjoy a few beers or mixed drinks. And what's the big deal with Texas and drinking in a state park?

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 5:36 PM
Let me clear a few things up. It sounds like I'm going to drink for three full days 24 hours a day. That isn't going to happen. But in the evening I'd like to enjoy a few beers or mixed drinks. And what's the big deal with Texas and drinking in a state park?They are just trying to make it a quiet, family friendly atmosphere.
The rules aren't perfect, but neither are the people.

The321
June 16th, 2014, 5:37 PM
Well I've canceled the reservation. We will go where the beer will flow like water and the man will not rain on our parade!

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2014, 6:09 PM
And they wonder why people don't visit these state parks all that much anymore.

Night Owl
June 16th, 2014, 6:18 PM
If one knows what they are doing is wrong... It seems simple don't do it.
So you always drive below the speed limit? We all know the answer to that one, don't we.

kisdparent
June 16th, 2014, 6:23 PM
I guess you haven't visited a state park lately. It doesn't appear that attendance is down. I have nothing against drinking but since many people cannot control themselves while drinking and law enforcement is minimal at the parks, it was determined that consuming alcoholic beverages shall not be lawful.

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 6:27 PM
And they wonder why people don't visit these state parks all that much anymore.Oh, but we do. I go to Inks Lake at least a couple times each winter.
Never go on any holiday, though, because (they keep track of how many are in the park) I have seen them reach capacity.

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 6:30 PM
Well I've canceled the reservation. We will go where the beer will flow like water and the man will not rain on our parade!

And they wonder why people don't visit these state parks all that much anymore.Despite the fact that the parks are popular, maybe some of us guys need to get together and meet somewhere that isn't government land, with all its red tape. Just a thought.

The321
June 16th, 2014, 6:36 PM
Despite the fact that the parks are popular, maybe some of us guys need to get together and meet somewhere that isn't government land, with all its red tape. Just a thought.

Here is where I go.
http://www.bendtexas.com/index.html

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 7:34 PM
From what I can see that's a better place than Enchanted Rock.
A little pricier too. I didn't understand the prices, until I saw the pictures of the "cabins"
Them ain't cabins, them's luxury suites.

kisdparent
June 16th, 2014, 7:42 PM
Enchanted Rock often has its gates shut due to reaching capacity.

The321
June 16th, 2014, 7:42 PM
Oh I don't go that route. I take the tent and rough it. If it's too hot I jump in that cool pool. And I have my beer with me. LOL

Mestral
June 16th, 2014, 7:47 PM
Oh I don't go that route. I take the tent and rough it. If it's too hot I jump in that cool pool. And I have my beer with me. LOLThat is what I did until a few years ago.

Shotgun Jeremy
June 16th, 2014, 11:16 PM
If you're just trying to enjoy a mixed drink or two, bring a few small bottles of whatever alcoholic drink you enjoy. I prefer rum. So in my case, I carry a small bottle or two of Captain Morgan, and then slip it in my drink when I can get a min by myself. Just make sure the evidence winds up back in your pocket or backpack! It's not enough to get drunk by any means, but it'll still loosen me up.

just2cents
June 17th, 2014, 7:04 AM
Do you know the difference between 'wrong' and 'illegal'?

There are a lot of things that are wrong... Like cheating on ones wife or husband....there are also things that should not be done because of laws or rules.
Most of you do not like a family coming to America to have a better life, without the right papers. But on the other hand you think it is ok to pick and choose what laws you follow.

Grammar Rules
June 17th, 2014, 7:34 AM
Silly. That's different. :))

FieryPrincess
June 19th, 2014, 3:30 PM

I suspect that by following some laws, you end up breaking others.

You just do the best you can.

I define public consumption as more of a party atmosphere and drunken behavior. I think a red solo cup is not a bad idea. Keeps things easier on the other patrons which is probably the reason for the rule in the first place.

Mestral
June 20th, 2014, 8:34 AM
I define public consumption as more of a party atmosphere and drunken behavior. I think a red solo cup is not a bad idea. Keeps things easier on the other patrons which is probably the reason for the rule in the first place.Well, it is best to keep it completely out of sight. One of the neighbor campsites got busted cause they left a couple empty bottles where the could be seen. Missed them when gathering stuff up before going to bed. At dawn the ranger was at their campsite.

I have been going to these parks for over 20 years. Myself and my friends (black, white, mexican, straight, and lesbian) and none of us have ever had our camp disturbed by either other campers or the authorities.

Grammar Rules
June 20th, 2014, 9:32 AM
I have been going to these parks for over 20 years. Myself and my friends (black, white, mexican, straight, and lesbian) and none of us have ever had our camp disturbed by either other campers or the authorities.

PARTY HEARTY!!!! :))

Mestral
June 20th, 2014, 10:12 AM
PARTY HEARTY!!!! :))PARTY QUIETLY
Pay attention.