PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Watching the NFL Draft?

CenTexDave
May 8th, 2014, 9:14 PM
Cowboys need all sorts of defensive help, so of course they take the 4th best OT in this year's class. :)
Cleveland may have outdone them though - they trade the #4 pick to Buffalo, so at #9 they pick up some DB from Oklahoma State who was rated the 4th or 5th best CB. Don't bother with a QB or WR.
The mediocrity will continue.

Grammar Rules
May 8th, 2014, 9:45 PM
Did Johnny Football get picked up?

CenTexDave
May 8th, 2014, 9:49 PM
Browns have been trading around all night. They grabbed him at #22.

Rick
May 8th, 2014, 9:50 PM
That should be interesting.

CenTexDave
May 8th, 2014, 9:56 PM
Yep, at #22, the same number pick as Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden. :))

Night Owl
May 8th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Dallas passed on him at pick 16. Good job Dallas.

Night Owl
May 8th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Dallas needs another OT. Not a bad pick but should have been a linebacker or DB.

CenTexDave
May 8th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Plenty of good players still left for rounds 2 and 3.

sickofpc
May 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I don't like what Johnny Football has done off of the field in the offseason....it's sad to me, but I do think he is going to be a great QB in the pros. He's a player and a great athlete..and some of these experts that think he won't make it will look silly. JMO

CenTexDave
May 10th, 2014, 12:54 PM
He hasn't done much to be controversial since the end of last season.
What I don't understand is what is Cleveland thinking - Josh Gordon flunked another dope test. He'll be suspended for the entire 2014 season, if not forever. He was the leading receiver in the NFL last year. So the Browns need to find a WR. What do they do - draft (in the following order) CB, QB, OT, RB, LB, CB. All good players but who is gonna catch the ball???

sojourner truth
May 10th, 2014, 4:17 PM
The Boys picked up an offensive lineman. Good. Maybe Doug Free will stop giving up penalty yards with a replacement.

I 'spect that the biggest reason the was Jerrys first pick was that he was tired of seeing Romo on his back instead of completing passes.

CenTexDave
May 12th, 2014, 4:43 PM
Some decent undrafted players still out there. I wonder if anyone has gone after UT's Jeffcoat?

Night Owl
May 12th, 2014, 7:54 PM
They still need help at DB. They helped the 0 and D lines and the LB positions. Glad they didn't go for skilled positions.

CenTexDave
May 12th, 2014, 10:05 PM
ESPN analysts gave the Cowboys a draft score of B-.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. These are the same "knowledgeable" analysts who predicted the draft picks too. :))

Night Owl
May 12th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Analysts know numbers but know nothing about the heart of a player.

kantwin
May 13th, 2014, 6:59 AM
Analysts know numbers but know nothing about the heart of a player.
And future health.
Many cases of a player drafted early cannot sustain a decent career, and also of undrafted ones becoming star players.

CenTexDave
May 13th, 2014, 9:40 AM
I'm sure they know something about "their heart" as they interview these players they are interested in prior to the draft. But good point, kantwin, about the injury issues.
Just so much goes into considering who to draft. Your team may need to plug a hole here or there, but you may also have a player entering the last year of his contract and you know he will ask for a fortune to resign. So you need to find a potential replacement for him also.
I'm a believer that you build your team through the draft and plug a hole each season with a free agent.

Rick
May 15th, 2014, 2:48 PM
My son just text'd me saying that the Browns got Miles Austin. I guess his 50% effort will increase the team effort to a total of 60%.

CenTexDave
May 15th, 2014, 5:28 PM
ROTFLMAO.
The Browns totally ignored a WR in the draft. They knew about Josh Gordon probably being suspended. Their new manager, Farmer, has stated they don't need a superstar at the WR position - just someone who can catch the ball. While I agree with that, past Browns' WRs, other than Gordon, dropped more than they caught. Greg Little is a case in point. Highly rated coming out of college but can't catch the damn ball. lol
The Browns also signed a WR free agent from Chicago, and have other free agents under contract now. None of them will be a Gordon, but if Austin can stay healthy he would be a decent pickup, for less than what the Cowboys paid him. They also got a good free agent WR from Cincinnati that was the Bengals' #3 wide out, and one from Detroit.
The Browns did have a good free agent off season and a pretty good draft. Hell with Manziel. They signed Vince Young to a free agent QB a couple of weeks ago. Cut him 2 days ago. lol If Brian Hoyer can come back from that injury I can see at least respectability if not the playoffs.

CenTexDave
May 19th, 2014, 5:11 PM
And they have just cut Greg Little. lol