PDA

View Full Version : Belton's Southern to Huntsville

CenTexDave
January 30th, 2014, 4:00 PM
Belton football coach and athletic director Rodney Southern has accepted the same positions at Huntsville High School.
Southern is a former defensive coordinator at Cove under Jack Welch. He also coached track and the power lifting teams.
One of the guys he beat out for the Huntsville job is current Plfugerville Connally head coach Howard McStrahan, who followed Southern as Cove's defensive coordinator.
All the best Rodney. There is absolutely no truth whatsoever that he left Belton because he couldn't beat his former mentor, Jack Welch. :)

RooDawg
January 31st, 2014, 8:01 AM
Wow!!

CenTexDave
January 31st, 2014, 10:21 AM
Prior to his stint at Belton he was at one of the Mansfield high schools (forget which one). He took them to the state championship game. He is a good coach. Was a helluva great defensive mind and coach. That was when Cove had a defense to go with their high powered offenses.

DiamondKing
February 2nd, 2014, 1:57 PM
Will Coach Hall at Shoemaker apply at Belton?

xzochye
February 2nd, 2014, 2:14 PM
Will Coach Hall at Shoemaker apply at Belton?

ROFLMAO!!! That's funny! Coach Hall isn't leaving behind what he is building here at SHS.

DiamondKing
February 2nd, 2014, 8:06 PM
You are right Shoemaker is a way better football job.......LOL:))

mpress17
February 5th, 2014, 1:19 PM
Southern stuck it up at Belton. He left because he was about to be fired. Defensive coach? Have you seen Belton play lately?

JohnKilleen
February 5th, 2014, 2:15 PM
From an outsiders viewpoint: the way Belton HS has grown and being a one high school town, they should have had much better teams than they have had lately. I don't doubt there was pressure on him. Find it odd also that the Temple coach states Belton turned down an offer to play them in non district before Southern left.

CenTexDave
February 5th, 2014, 4:03 PM
Southern was a helluva defensive coach when at Cove. His Manfield team went to the State Championship his first or second year (forget which).
I agree that I would have thought they would have been better than they were. But don't y'all think that of Ellison too?