PDA

View Full Version : Canine Defecation

Dagobert II
January 2nd, 2014, 8:27 PM
Dogs preferred to excrete with the body being aligned along the North-south axis

And now you know. Source: http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/10/1/80/abstract#

Ludwig
January 2nd, 2014, 9:40 PM
That has not held true for my two dogs. Both of them dump while facing West 80% of the time, about 15% while facing North, and 5% while facing South. I cannot recall a single time observing them dumping while facing East... that leads me to believe that there is a Muslim somewhere in their blood line. :)) :))

xzochye
January 2nd, 2014, 9:41 PM
And I thought I had a lot of time on my hands!

Ludwig
January 2nd, 2014, 9:51 PM
And I thought I had a lot of time on my hands!

Retirement is great. Get to observe nature and ponder its meaning. :)

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2014, 9:55 PM
I have taught my two to always face west when doing their business. It takes care of two things at the same time. For the uninformed (IE, corgi and pride), that means their butts are pointed to DC and Mecca. Seems fitting in some way.

Ludwig
January 2nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
You need to re-train your pups. The direction to Mecca, is actually 43.22° N from Killeen.:))

mac
January 2nd, 2014, 10:08 PM
You need to re-train your pups. The direction to Mecca, is actually 43.22° N from Killeen.:))

Are you sure you do not have your longitude and latitude mixed up?...mac

Ludwig
January 3rd, 2014, 6:48 AM
It's a compass direction. I should have given it in mils I guess. Look up Great Circle and apply that to this case.

CenTexDave
January 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Always stand down wind. :)

Dagobert II
January 3rd, 2014, 12:12 PM
I wonder if a change in canine alignment could be used to predict a pole shift?

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
It's a compass direction. I should have given it in mils I guess. Look up Great Circle and apply that to this case.

wow.......43 degrees would be north east and i mean for something that far away........way north...prob'ly even in the Arctic or mayb Moscow! i would've expected something more along the lines of 90+ degrees for Mecca.........mac (don't know nothing 'bout no "great circle"....

Ludwig
January 3rd, 2014, 1:26 PM
wow.......43 degrees would be north east and i mean for something that far away........way north...prob'ly even in the Arctic or mayb Moscow! i would've expected something more along the lines of 90+ degrees for Mecca.........mac (don't know nothing 'bout no "great circle"....

Get a globe. Put a pin at Killeen and another one at Mecca. Now run a thread from one pin to the other. Measure the angle from North to the thread at Killeen and it will come out in the neighborhood of 43 degrees, that is the "Great Circle" route, the shortest distance between two points on the globe.

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 1:53 PM
Get a globe. Put a pin at Killeen and another one at Mecca. Now run a thread from one pin to the other. Measure the angle from North to the thread at Killeen and it will come out in the neighborhood of 43 degrees, that is the "Great Circle" route, the shortest distance between two points on the globe.

you may want to try it yourself.....and if so, you'll find that mecca is almost due or straight east or 90 degrees......a long long ways from 45 degrees (NorthEast)....but don't measure the angle from north (where on north/) to killeen. line your protractor up, north south, on killeen. now cast or plot your azmuth to mecca from killeen. where it crosses your protractor is the degrees, mills or whatever from killeen to mecca....prob'ly somewhere 'round straight east or 90 degrees. if you were to depart for mecca from killeen air port this afternoon, non stop, your azimuth would be much nearer 90 than 40 degrees....more like 91, maybe 92.....something like that......40 degrees from killeen is almost moscow and doesn't even come close to mecca.....mac

Ludwig
January 3rd, 2014, 4:11 PM
Mac, Mac, Mac... are you a flat-earther too? If you believe the Earth to be a sphere, which most sane people do, then the shortest route (Great Circle Route) to Mecca will have you head to the northeast, to Mecca.

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 6:09 PM
Mac, Mac, Mac... are you a flat-earther too? If you believe the Earth to be a sphere, which most sane people do, then the shortest route (Great Circle Route) to Mecca will have you head to the northeast, to Mecca.

you all should've believed me when i told you i was a little dense. you know of course, that mecca is south of killeen......at some point on your "great circle" route, you're gonna have to switch from a northerly heading to a southerly heading. any idea where that might occur?....maybe over there by bangor or newfoundland maybe?.......mac