PDA

View Full Version : Locking Threads

mac
January 2nd, 2014, 4:26 PM
Rick: I'm just curious but how many folks are you allowing to lock threads in your forum. i just saw aother thread shut down by I ain't got a clue who. i mean, how do i know who's rear to kiss if i don't know who's got the power?......mac

xzochye
January 2nd, 2014, 4:34 PM
Rick, Scarlett, Stormy all have the power as Administrator to lock threads. Texas Immigrant may too not sure.

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2014, 4:38 PM
I can't remember the last time I ever LOCKED a thread.

Rick
January 2nd, 2014, 4:46 PM
Rick: I'm just curious but how many folks are you allowing to lock threads in your forum. i just saw aother thread shut down by I ain't got a clue who. i mean, how do i know who's rear to kiss if i don't know who's got the power?......mac

As a general rule, you should be nice to everyone you meet.

But since that isn't possible, stormy, Scarlett, and I are the administrators, Texas immigrant and theoldprogrammer are moderators andit sometimes takes a lot to keep the peace and keep it classy here.

There are unmoderated forums like Topix for those who want a free-for-all.

This ain't the place for it.

Mestral
January 2nd, 2014, 4:54 PM
I am a little curious, if they can't lock threads, what is their power as moderators?

In the old Fido Net, the "moderators" had virtually unlimited power.
(one threatened to cut off the entire continent of Australia from Fido Net,
and he could have made good on it too.

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2014, 4:56 PM
Pretty sure they can delete posts.

Shotgun Jeremy
January 2nd, 2014, 5:11 PM
Every forum I've been on, Mods can lock threads, make edits to threads, etc.... Admin were the ones who could make changes to member accounts as well as normal moderator things.

Rick
January 2nd, 2014, 5:31 PM
I am a little curious, if they can't lock threads, what is their power as moderators?

In the old Fido Net, the "moderators" had virtually unlimited power.
Moderators can lock and unlock threads, also edit, delete, and move posts and threads.

And for that reason, there is a special, "Super Administrator" that is specified in the config file.

Mestral
January 2nd, 2014, 5:32 PM
Every forum I've been on, Mods can lock threads, make edits to threads, etc.... Admin were the ones who could make changes to member accounts as well as normal moderator things.That is why I asked, since it seems the moderators are slightly more restricted here. (The primary administrator can determine what categories of users/moderators,admin get what powers) I got my answer though.

mac
January 2nd, 2014, 5:50 PM
i absolutely agree with that "nice" part but, still, it seems like i can think of folks who were locked or all that stuff in spite of being nice. so....i guess there's 5 of you. oh well, 'ppreciate the response......mac

As a general rule, you should be nice to everyone you meet.

But since that isn't possible, stormy, Scarlett, and I are the administrators, Texas immigrant and theoldprogrammer are moderators andit sometimes takes a lot to keep the peace and keep it classy here.

There are unmoderated forums like Topix for those who want a free-for-all.

This ain't the place for it.

stormy
January 2nd, 2014, 5:59 PM

Hahaha! That would be my butt mac :kissbutt Just kidding! No need to kiss any butt at all. I locked the thread and posted my reason why. :thumbsup

mac
January 2nd, 2014, 6:14 PM
Hahaha! That would be my butt mac :kissbutt Just kidding! No need to kiss any butt at all. I locked the thread and posted my reason why. :thumbsup

no sweat. hell, i've been edited, deleted, blocked, admonished, moved and i don't know all what else several times....maybe more than anybody else on here and i don't think i've ever, even one single soliltary time been "un-nice"......to any one......ever......i just happened to notice that you had blocked some one and wondered who the hell you were to block someone and thought i'd ask the question. i knew there were 2 of you but didn't know there were 5! in fact, come to think about it,i think i'm blocked right now!....and i like to think that i'm the most gentlemanly gentleman on here. oh well, thanx for the response, programmer....mac

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2014, 6:24 PM
What exactly do you think you are blocked from??

mac
January 2nd, 2014, 6:39 PM

prob'ly just bein' paranoid.....but then again, you know what some people say about paranoids......mac

Rick
January 2nd, 2014, 8:07 PM
no sweat. hell, i've been edited, deleted, blocked, admonished, moved and i don't know all what else several times....maybe more than anybody else on here and i don't think i've ever, even one single soliltary time been "un-nice"......to any one......ever......i just happened to notice that you had blocked some one and wondered who the hell you were to block someone and thought i'd ask the question. i knew there were 2 of you but didn't know there were 5! in fact, come to think about it,i think i'm blocked right now!....and i like to think that i'm the most gentlemanly gentleman on here. oh well, thanx for the response, programmer....mac
Oh poor mac, not everything is about you.

We don't lock many threads here. Hell, out of 16,249 threads in five years, only 127 of them have been locked and a lot of those are from the NASCAR contest when we used to lock the contest threads to prevent new picks after the race started.

I asked stormy to take a look at the latest thread that was locked and she was able to offer an objective view of it. She did and thought it was useless and went too far with some comments, so she decided to lock it and I support her decision. Simple as that.

ClickaNerd
January 2nd, 2014, 8:40 PM
Yea - my bikini wax reference was over the top !

Sorry Stormy !

bbh
January 2nd, 2014, 9:58 PM
Just my opinion......

It seems to me that in the last year or so the level of discourse on CTT has declined while negativity has risen. Rick, Scarlett, Stormy, et al, have done their best to keep a civil tone to the forum. Actually, sometimes I wonder why/how they put up with it all.

Everybody has their own reasons for joining an online forum like this one, and I can only speak for myself. I joined it because I enjoy reasonable political and current event discussions, and I like to know what others are thinking. I also joined it because I was a teacher and relished the opportunity to share ideas, resources, and news with other teachers in the KISD section. Miscellaneous, travel, and sports, etc., were an added bonus. Several years ago, I routinely defended my participation on CTT from campus administration criticism that it was just a negative site full of complainers and whiners. I was even told by one administrator about five years ago that if I didn't leave the forum, I would "cause [myself] 'damage' within KISD." I pointed to positive interaction with other KISD employees and aggressively defended the forum.

But lately, there have been more and more negative threads by a handful of CTT posters. Among those forum members, conspiracy theories are frequent, dialogue is often coarse, criticisms are pointed and personal, and vendettas are apparent. I still enjoy so much about centextalk.com, but I must admit that I wish for a perfect online world where some posters would tone it down a bit. Again.....I'm talking about a VERY small percentage of CTT posters -- only a handful.

But that's just me.

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2014, 10:02 PM
I do post in the jokes section. Does that count?:)

siamcat
January 2nd, 2014, 10:17 PM
Just my opinion......

It seems to me that in the last year or so the level of discourse on CTT has declined while negativity has risen. Rick, Scarlett, Stormy, et al, have done their best to keep a civil tone to the forum. Actually, sometimes I wonder why/how they put up with it all.

Everybody has their own reasons for joining an online forum like this one, and I can only speak for myself. I joined it because I enjoy reasonable political and current event discussions, and I like to know what others are thinking. I also joined it because I was a teacher and relished the opportunity to share ideas, resources, and news with other teachers in the KISD section. Miscellaneous, travel, and sports, etc., were an added bonus. Several years ago, I routinely defended my participation on CTT from campus administration criticism that it was just a negative site full of complainers and whiners. I was even told by one administrator about five years ago that if I didn't leave the forum, I would "cause [myself] 'damage' within KISD." I pointed to positive interaction with other KISD employees and aggressively defended the forum.

But lately, there have been more and more negative threads by a handful of CTT posters. Among those forum members, conspiracy theories are frequent, dialogue is often coarse, criticisms are pointed and personal, and vendettas are apparent. I still enjoy so much about centextalk.com, but I must admit that I wish for a perfect online world where some posters would tone it down a bit. Again.....I'm talking about a VERY small percentage of CTT posters -- only a handful.

But that's just me.

I think the level of discourse has risen on this forum in straight proportion to the discourse in this country.
Overall Rick, Scarlett, Stormy, and the others do a wonderful job moderating.
I've been to other forums and the bile posted there would never happen here.
I say we're a big dysfunctional family, since even the most obnoxious posters show a heart when it counts. I would hate to lose this forum, so please don't annoy the moderators too much.:07:

ClickaNerd
January 2nd, 2014, 11:01 PM
OK:rose:

stormy
January 3rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
And, for the record, I have never blocked anyone 8-;

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 1:09 PM
And, for the record, I have never blocked anyone 8-;

aye, but (forgive my hair-splitting axe) have you ever "locked" a thread?.......mac

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 1:12 PM
Oh poor mac, not everything is about you. .

i have no idea what the intent of that is....but, i guess i agree with you. i like to think that nothing is about me....mac

stormy
January 3rd, 2014, 4:53 PM
aye, but (forgive my hair-splitting axe) have you ever "locked" a thread?.......mac

Yes, I have locked a couple of other threads.

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 5:38 PM

i don't think, scarlett, that i have access to that info. that's something, as far as i know, only you "blockers" would or could know......but, then on the other hand, why on earth would you ask me that if you didn't already know?.......mac

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 5:40 PM
Yes, I have locked a couple of other threads.

a couple of "other" threads.....you mean, three counting this one?......mac

xzochye
January 3rd, 2014, 5:44 PM

:doh

stormy
January 3rd, 2014, 5:57 PM
Shall I lock this one too? :rolleyes

Rick
January 3rd, 2014, 6:05 PM
It doesn't matter. Besides, we don't track those stats.

mac
January 3rd, 2014, 6:14 PM
Shall I lock this one too? :rolleyes

"too"? i have no idea......can't help you with that.......that's what you get the big bucks for.......mac

Scarlett
January 3rd, 2014, 6:43 PM
i don't think, scarlett, that i have access to that info. that's something, as far as i know, only you "blockers" would or could know......but, then on the other hand, why on earth would you ask me that if you didn't already know?.......mac

I haven't ever, personally, blocked a single user from anything. I do know I COULD, but I've never played around to figure out HOW. Have I REQUESTED it for some in some topics? Yes. But I haven't clicked that button myself.
I'm rarely on this forum from a computer, and from a phone I have no clue how to see who is blocked from what, so no, I don't know that information. In case you haven't noticed, I don't have a whole lot to do or say on here anymore. That's my choice. I've had enough of the bickering and the whining and stupid and find it much more peaceful to have taken time away.