PDA

View Full Version : Baylor?!?

olderthandirt
January 1st, 2014, 10:54 PM
This is soooo not like the bears tonight - what happened? I'm waiting for a comeback like last night's Aggie game but they're starting to run out of time.

onetime
January 1st, 2014, 10:57 PM
Not sure which baylor team you have watched all year, but their defense has been awfully bad most of the year, if you give any team an opportunity to game plan you for 30 days your going to always get a mixed bag. The tell, is always the second half adjustments to what the team has planned for, Baylor has not made any adjustments.

xzochye
January 1st, 2014, 11:08 PM
This is soooo not like the bears tonight - what happened? I'm waiting for a comeback like last night's Aggie game but they're starting to run out of time.

I am so disappointed.

There have been some crazy bowl games this year. Tech predicted to lose and Baylor predicted to win and both predictions appear to be wrong.

olderthandirt
January 1st, 2014, 11:09 PM
Not sure what stats you're looking at, but their defense is ranked #20 in the nation - they just forgot to show up tonight

Centexan
January 1st, 2014, 11:10 PM
That's what happens when the color of your uniforms don't match your school colors.

Grammar Rules
January 1st, 2014, 11:22 PM
I know! They look like a high school team. What happened to "We'll fling our green and gold afar"?

Very disappointing game so far. :(

cnjbond
January 1st, 2014, 11:52 PM
Well, I think a certain coach's stock just dropped a couple of notches in the search for the next t.u. head coach.

lalayaya0101
January 2nd, 2014, 1:02 AM
Wow! Baylor is an amazing school, and regardless of their performance on the field (which is nothing to sneeze at), any student that qualifies to go to Baylor, is fortunate. I only hope that my students achieve the best and don't settle for second best.

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2014, 2:36 AM
Wow! Baylor is an amazing school, and regardless of their performance on the field (which is nothing to sneeze at), any student that qualifies to go to Baylor, is fortunate. I only hope that my students achieve the best and don't settle for second best.

You do know this is the sports section, right? Besides, we all know that A&M is THE BEST school in Texas to be accepted into! ;)

Grammar Rules
January 2nd, 2014, 6:34 AM
That Sumatran tiger picked CF although the experts and bookmakers had it BU. Next year just watch which chow bowl is chosen by the amazing Fiesta Bowl-predicting tiger and place your bets.

CenTexDave
January 2nd, 2014, 7:43 AM
I think they took UCF too lightly. Throw in all those penalties which were ridiculous, and you are dead meat.

onetime
January 2nd, 2014, 9:46 AM
Well, I think a certain coach's stock just dropped a couple of notches in the search for the next t.u. head coach.

I doubt as the man has mastered the game of football at the high school level and built to "AWFUL" programs from the ground up with Houston and Baylor. He will get the best of the best and get them playing well and find the kids that were overlooked and get them playing well also. I think that could be the very best hire outside of Nick Saban, they lost last night because their defense stinks and offensively they left some opportunities on the field.

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2014, 10:45 AM
Not saying he isn't a good football coach that has done great things (with a Heisman winning QB) but you don't get on anyone's wish list when you get destroyed on national TV to a team that everyone expected you to blow out. You grab a coach that you think will not only propel your program but also one that gets your fan base excited. I heard a lot of brakes screeching to halt after last night's game.

sojourner truth
January 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
No halftime adjustments...That, and an O line that doesn't know the snap count.

Silly penalties, failure to recognize that the UCF QB was willing to run the ball, and just plain awful reffing too. I saw at least a dozen holds that UCF made that were "missed", and if a Bear got withing 3 feet of a receiver, it was pass interference.

I doubt coach will have a hard time staying where he is, or getting offers elsewhere either.

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
I'm sure he won't have a problem staying where he is either! :)

CenTexDave
January 2nd, 2014, 11:39 AM
He needs to recruit better for the defense.
All programs play patsies in pre-conference, but Baylor seems to take it to the extreme. They racked up those huge offensive numbers against terrible competition in their first few games.
UT could do a whole lot worse by hiring someone other than Art Briles. He knows Texas football. He knows the high schools and their coaches.

onetime
January 2nd, 2014, 12:03 PM
I can not defend Wofford, but the other two games weren't just door mats, buffalo played in a bowl and louisiana monroe, wellllllllll. Anyways anyone who understands football realizes all games are about match ups, and the bears just did not match against UCF offensive speed well. Couple of good things to point out, one Briles offense has been successful at every level everywhere, two at Texas Briles can grab the best defensive coordinator and pay them the best that money can buy, three he can recruit the best kids in and outside of the state to always have a matchup advantage over his opponents. I for one hope they hire him, I don't like Muschamp, any NFL coaches that have never coached college ball, or anyone else outside of Saban. Bowl games favor the underdog.

CenTexDave
January 2nd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Northwestern? That isn't the Big Ten's Northwestern. It's a 1-AA school in Louisiana.
Bowl games favor the underdog? I'm sure Zero U will beat Bama tonight. :))
These damn bowl ties to conferences suck. Yes, Baylor lost, but would rather have seen Baylor vs Oregon or some other really good program.

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2014, 1:12 PM
I can not defend Wofford, but the other two games weren't just door mats, buffalo played in a bowl and louisiana monroe, wellllllllll. Anyways anyone who understands football realizes all games are about match ups, and the bears just did not match against UCF offensive speed well. Couple of good things to point out, one Briles offense has been successful at every level everywhere, two at Texas Briles can grab the best defensive coordinator and pay them the best that money can buy, three he can recruit the best kids in and outside of the state to always have a matchup advantage over his opponents. I for one hope they hire him, I don't like Muschamp, any NFL coaches that have never coached college ball, or anyone else outside of Saban. Bowl games favor the underdog.
And there we go, no one else knows anything about football but you great sensei. What competition was there in the Big XII over the past 2 years besides OSU? I think Briles needs a few more years at Baylor to see what he can do.

onetime
January 2nd, 2014, 1:13 PM
I think the game will be closer then you think Centex

onetime
January 2nd, 2014, 1:19 PM
And there we go, no one else knows anything about football but you great sensei. What competition was there in the Big XII over the past 2 years besides OSU? I think Briles needs a few more years at Baylor to see what he can do.

OU, OK State, Tech, Texas, Kstate, TCU (traditionally good), West Virgina (traditionally good) and who would you suggest take over the helm at Texas oh wise one?

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2014, 1:37 PM
OU, OK State, Tech, Texas, Kstate, TCU (traditionally good), West Virgina (traditionally good) and who would you suggest take over the helm at Texas oh wise one?
As they say on ESPN, Come on Man!! Most of those teams weren't that good over the past 2 years, the Big XII was in a slump and Baylor was playing good enough football to rise to the top. I'm not saying Baylor isn't good or that Briles isn't a good coach, I just think people are making more out of his early success than should be. Let's wait and see how he does in the next couple of years.

Now as far as who should be the next coach at t.u., I have no clue but I know who probably SHOULDN'T be looked at as the next head coach...which by the way is the only point I was trying to make.

CenTexDave
January 2nd, 2014, 4:36 PM
I think the game will be closer then you think Centex
I hope you are right.

CenTexDave
January 2nd, 2014, 4:38 PM
Charlie Strong of Louisville has been mentioned as a possible candidate. Others include Franklin from Vandy.
Hell, if they are gonna empty their coffers might as well go after Urban Meyer.
Whoever they select has to rebuild. That much is obvious.

yankeerunner
January 2nd, 2014, 7:57 PM
The way that Baylor played I'm thinking that The Cru might be able to do something against the Bears!

CenTexDave
January 2nd, 2014, 9:31 PM
And Bama doesn't look good so far. I suppose the Cru would handle them too. :))

olderthandirt
January 2nd, 2014, 10:16 PM
I think Saban lit a fire under them at halftime -- needed to happen!

kantwin
January 2nd, 2014, 11:21 PM
Turnovers did the Tide in.

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2014, 11:21 PM
Zero U hung on for the win.

What about that soap now?:)) Alabama got "rolled" over.

Great ball game.

kantwin
January 2nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Zero U hung on for the win. What about that soap now?:)) Alabama got "rolled" over. Great ball game.
Low tide tonight.

kantwin
January 2nd, 2014, 11:30 PM
Now, I say "War Eagle!" Keep it in the SEC.

onetime
January 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM

Hate to point out where I am right "AGAIN" in the arena of sports. I posted three different times that these games favor the underdog, as heavily favored teams are going to dance with the girl that brought them on offense and defense whereas the underdog has to bust out multiple wrinkles to hang in with the favored team. The picks Mccarron threw are tough, the one before half was very NFLish with hard press bait with the blitz coming from that side. I guess Texas is to good for Nick Saban too?

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2014, 11:59 PM
How many National Championship rings does Briles have? How many does Saban have? Out of those two, which one has the stronger body of work? Which one CONSISTENTLY has his team in the top 5 - 10 EVERY year?

onetime
January 3rd, 2014, 12:08 AM
How many National Championship rings does Briles have? How many does Saban have? Out of those two, which one has the stronger body of work? Which one CONSISTENTLY has his team in the top 5 - 10 EVERY year?

Come on Aggie you can be so naive, Saban has been the head coach at Michigan State, Louisiana State, and Alabama. Most average to decent coaches do well at those places historically in comparison to Briles who has coached at Houston (had not been good for 20 plus years) and Baylor (a team that had not had a big 12 win since the creation of the conference several several years ago.) Both are great coaches and I would prefer Saban to, but Briles is going to win you some national championships too if he is their second choice. Likely a better recruiter for the area too.

cnjbond
January 3rd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Come on Aggie you can be so naive, Saban has been the head coach at Michigan State, Louisiana State, and Alabama. Most average to decent coaches do well at those places historically in comparison to Briles who has coached at Houston (had not been good for 20 plus years) and Baylor (a team that had not had a big 12 win since the creation of the conference several several years ago.) Both are great coaches and I would prefer Saban to, but Briles is going to win you some national championships too if he is their second choice. Likely a better recruiter for the area too.
I don't think showing facts is being naive. Do you know why Saban has been the head coach at those places? Because he's proven that he can win....consistently. Most average to decent coaches don't get a chance to coach those type of programs...only the Dallas Cowboys use that kind of crazy logic and where has that gotten them! Briles will have plenty of time to prove that he's the real deal...patience young grasshopper.

Night Owl
January 3rd, 2014, 1:09 AM
Hate to point out where I am right "AGAIN" in the arena of sports. I posted three different times that these games favor the underdog, as heavily favored teams are going to dance with the girl that brought them on offense and defense whereas the underdog has to bust out multiple wrinkles to hang in with the favored team. The picks Mccarron threw are tough, the one before half was very NFLish with hard press bait with the blitz coming from that side. I guess Texas is to good for Nick Saban too?
Don't break your arm.

Night Owl
January 3rd, 2014, 1:13 AM
Hate to point out that the ONLY thing you may be right about is football. Notice the might. The one thing you do have is a huge ego. As you grow up a little more you MIGHT learn more about life. Football ain't life.

CenTexDave
January 3rd, 2014, 7:33 AM
Surprising game to be sure. I have noticed that hurry-up offenses, like what Oklahoma ran last night, and A&M and Auburn ran against them, seems to really bother Alabama's defense.
I'm not looking for anything great tonight from Ohio State. As bad as that defense looked against Michigan and Michigan State, now two of their best three defensive players are out for the game.