PDA

View Full Version : New UIL Classification Numbers

CenTexDave
December 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I know somewhere in this high school section someone posted all of 8-5A's school attendance used by the UIL, but sure can't find it now.
Anyway, here's the new UIL numbers:
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Texas-UIL-Releases-Conference-Cutoff-Numbers-234081011.html
Conference Cutoffs
6A 2100 and above
5A 1060 - 2099
4A 465 - 1059
3A 220 - 464
2A 105 - 219
1A 104.9 and below
1A - 4A Football Division I and Division II Numbers
1A Division I 55 - 104.9
1A Division II 54 and below
2A Division I 158 - 219
2A Division II 105 - 157
3A Division I 315 - 464
3A Division II 220 - 314
4A Division I 686 - 1059
4A Division II 465 - 685

Not sure if Temple will be 5-A or 6-A, but looks like everyone else is jumping up to 6-A.
IMO, absolutely silly. 2100+ and you are in 6-A. What about schools with 4000+++?
And if I read this right, schools in 5-A and 6-A will no longer have big school/small school divisions for the playoffs. 8-5A is screwed. How the hell are we supposed to compete with schools like Allen and Plano that are as large as a small city?
I am rapidly losing interest in Texas high school football.

JohnKilleen
December 2nd, 2013, 3:44 PM
Temple turned in under 2100,they will be in the new 5a. Belton had the largest numbers at around 2900. We may end up with a 7 team district for our area 6 A teams.

CenTexDave
December 2nd, 2013, 5:42 PM
Who flippin' cares anymore? The UIL takes a good product and ruins it.

FieryPrincess
December 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
All they did really was to take the 6-man teams, re-name them as 1A and shift everyone else up a classification.

The implications reach farther than just sports.

JohnKilleen
December 3rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
There will still be two divisions in each classification. 6 A will still have " large school and small school" state champions. The lower classes, 4a and under will be divided into divisions based on enrollment at the time of district assignments in February. I think the renaming was done to move 6 man into the lower ranks of the 1A classification, where they compete in all sports now except football.

CenTexDave
December 4th, 2013, 9:28 AM
Temple will go 5-A. Hopefully the UIL will reorganize the districts so we still have 8 teams. Along with that another hope we are redesignated 9-5A or 10-5A and go Region II. :)

FieryPrincess
December 4th, 2013, 9:41 AM
Music kids have to play off of harder lists.

I'm not exactly sure how it impacts UIL academics.

stevendub
December 9th, 2013, 7:39 PM
They should have this district, whatever it's gonna be named, matched up with one of the Austin area districts like it used to.

CenTexDave
December 9th, 2013, 8:45 PM
I remember when, at one time or another, we had Georgetown, Leander, Round Rock and, I think RR Westwood, in our district. And may be wrong, but I recall Austin Westlake for one two year period. But those RR schools, along with Killeen, built new high schools so massive reorganization.

JohnKilleen
December 10th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Years ago we were in a district with RR and RR WW, then Westlake. Those teams would not now be in our district as UIL will not split up a school district. Would be nice if we were in their region though. Would make the first playoffs for any sport an easier trip. Never know what the new district will be. A lot depends on what happens with 2-5A in West Texas. Several times before, it was thought San Angelo might get shifted to this area. Could happen since Killeen and Waco were in a 4 A district with San Angelo Lakeview. The only other possible add on might be the one Leander school that will go 6A. Once before, Leander HS was in our 5 A district.

CenTexDave
December 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
When Cove was 4-A we played San Angelo Lakeview. Long trip, but not as bad as to Bryan or College Station. Hell, we even had Stephenville and Abilene Wylie in the same district.
The UIL will reorganize however they want, but I'm about done with HS football. None of the schools in our district can compete against the likes of DeSoto or Duncanville in the playoffs.