PDA

View Full Version : New Ads

cnjbond
November 18th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I just noticed the new ads on the site. How long have they been there?

Grammar Rules
November 18th, 2013, 11:16 AM
New today. If you click to post, you may get routed to an ad. You have to tap the x button on the far right each time to get it out of the way.

It's not that much trouble, so whatever keeps the forum online is ok. It will take a little getting used to.

Rick
November 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Something I started to play with today. I can't see how they look and work since they are blocked here on Ft. Hood.

sojourner truth
November 18th, 2013, 4:40 PM
The site was down about an houror 2 last night...just said that explorer couldn't find the adress...All my other favorites came up no sweat.

Everything is back to normal today however....Including the posters.

siamcat
November 18th, 2013, 4:45 PM
I hardly notice them.

Shotgun Jeremy
November 18th, 2013, 4:51 PM
Loooooove tapatalk!

Scarlett
November 18th, 2013, 7:24 PM
I like forum runner better than tapatalk.

siamcat
November 18th, 2013, 8:15 PM
Lol, I like my computer with my keyboard.:)

cnjbond
November 19th, 2013, 6:36 AM
Thanks for getting rid of the Yahoo Ads, I clicked on one of them and wasn't really impressed with the site it took me to.

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 6:45 AM
They are still there...for now.

cnjbond
November 19th, 2013, 6:50 AM
Oh, I don't see them on my work computer which is running IE 9...not sure if that matters or not.

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 7:01 AM
Here at work, using IE9 and Firefox, sometimes they show, sometimes they don't.

I haven't checked out the content of the ads and where they send you when you click on them. I have seen a few that interest me, just haven't clicked on them.

Night Owl
November 19th, 2013, 1:24 PM
I am having major problems with my iPad since the ads were put up. It took me four tries to post this. The ads, sometimes, show up in the quick reply area. Won't let me post when that happens.

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 1:37 PM
That sounds like an IPad issue. I'll turn off the setting for publishing to mobile browsers and see if that clears up

I'm posting this message from my phone browser and it works fine.

Ludwig
November 19th, 2013, 1:37 PM
Adds? Adds? What adds? They have disappeared from my system... not complaining, mind you... just passing along an observation. (Widows 7, Firefox). I just tried IE and there are some very ugly adds appearing there though.

Gramps
November 19th, 2013, 1:54 PM
I see adds in Firefox and don't particularly care for their appearance.

No adds in Safari, but that's probably due to the add blocker plugin I've installed in Safari. :)

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 7:16 PM
Other than changing colors, I can't do anything about the way the ads look. They are content driven, in that they are driven by keywords on the forum. I saw one today that was labeled "Ohio State Buckeyes." Probably as a result of the discussions we've had about the best damn team in the land.

Grammar Rules
November 19th, 2013, 7:33 PM
I am having major problems with my iPad since the ads were put up. It took me four tries to post this. The ads, sometimes, show up in the quick reply area. Won't let me post when that happens.

Hooter, click on the x to the far right on the ad bar when you go to post. I use an iPad too, and that gets the ad out of the way.

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 7:36 PM
Is it still there on iPads?

Grammar Rules
November 19th, 2013, 7:39 PM
Is it still there on iPads?

Yes. 4113

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 7:51 PM
But is it in the reply box? I'm typing this with my iPod and there is no ad interfering.

The one at the top is in the same place that I always put ads.

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 7:53 PM
Posting this from my android tablet. No issues.

Grammar Rules
November 19th, 2013, 8:06 PM
It depends. The bottom bar-ad sometimes gets in the way of the Post Quick Reply button.

xzochye
November 19th, 2013, 8:08 PM
Other than changing colors, I can't do anything about the way the ads look. They are content driven, in that they are driven by keywords on the forum. I saw one today that was labeled "Ohio State Buckeyes." Probably as a result of the discussions we've had about the best damn team in the land.

I guess I must have over looked all the prostate topics since that is the subject of one the ads on my page! LOL

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 8:10 PM
I guess I must have over looked all the prostate topics since that is the subject of one the ads on my page! LOL
Those were the result of the Cowboys discussions.

Rick
November 19th, 2013, 8:13 PM
It depends. The bottom bar-ad sometimes gets in the way of the Post Quick Reply button.
That should have disappeared after I removed the mobile device option earlier this afternoon.

xzochye
November 19th, 2013, 8:14 PM
Those were the result of the Cowboys discussions.

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up! :))

Grammar Rules
November 19th, 2013, 8:22 PM
Rick, the bar isn't getting in the way this evening except on private messages. It's no big deal.

siamcat
November 19th, 2013, 9:14 PM
I don't use mobile devices, and for me on the PC they're just part of the background. I didn't even notice them at first.

We can make a new topic to discuss silly things and see what kind of ads pop up:)

cnjbond
November 19th, 2013, 9:47 PM
We can make a new topic to discuss silly things and see what kind of ads pop up:)
No need for a special topic to do that, it happens naturally no matter what the topic of the thread is.

kantwin
November 20th, 2013, 5:11 AM
Obviously, the content providers need to work on their algorithm. I can't see how they would deliver an ad for "Ohio State Buckeyes" in relation to the best team in the land. Everyone knows that's 'Bama!
Roll Tide!

Rick
November 20th, 2013, 8:03 AM
I saw an ad for laundry soap. Your weird obsession with Tide detergent must have been the reason. :))

ClickaNerd
November 20th, 2013, 9:04 AM
OK ...

I kept my mouth shut and wasnt going to tell you how to run your business.

BUT

contextual aka DISTRACTION advertisement

1) Eats bandwidth
2) Will never make you a penny
3) Annoys more than invites

With that said, I think your website has (2) pockets of money to be had.

1) Annual subscription - lots of ego's on this website.
2) Annual subscription - many spies want to keep tabs on whats being said.

I think you can easily get away with $10.00 / year subscription prices - and fund this place.

I can build you a payment interface for free as my contribution to your operation.

www.clickanerd.com/payment (http://www.clickanerd.com/payment) << example

I wrote the interface for US / Canada / Australia currency.

For the hand full of subscribers that whine about paying to belong to CTT.

FU-- THEM (I mean that in the nicest way)

They don't pay your bills.

Ohhh ...

I forgot to mention - $10.00 / year for (1) paid or billing account and (3) aliases.

That way the city can still spy and you can get 50 - 60 accounts worth of cash from them as well.

Rick
November 20th, 2013, 9:19 AM
Thanks Shawn,

I have my doubts about the Yahoo ads, but am trying them anyway. It doesn't cost me anything to try.

Paid subscriptions are possible through the software, but I personally don't like them because they stifle participation. I doubt if very many people will pay to participate.

The bill here is still only $25.00 per month, so it isn't like I am two months away from pulling the plug. There might be other reasons for pulling it, but cost isn't one of them.

I liked the local ads I had for a while, but I don't have the ambition to go out and sell them.

ClickaNerd
November 20th, 2013, 9:29 AM
Thanks Shawn,

I have my doubts about the Yahoo ads, but am trying them anyway. It doesn't cost me anything to try.

Paid subscriptions are possible through the software, but I personally don't like them because they stifle participation. I doubt if very many people will pay to participate.

The bill here is still only $25.00 per month, so it isn't like I am two months away from pulling the plug. There might be other reasons for pulling it, but cost isn't one of them.

I liked the local ads I had for a while, but I don't have the ambition to go out and sell them.

If you want to sell the domain, I would be interested in talking to you about it.

Rick
November 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.dvdsmith.com/new-images/resource/the-godfather.jpg
You gonna make me an offer that I can't refuse?

siamcat
November 20th, 2013, 9:44 PM
Thanks Shawn,

Please Rick, don't shut down the website.

You all are like a family to me.

I know we can be annoying....

ItsMe
November 21st, 2013, 10:28 AM
I thought I accidentally clicked on something again and it downloaded some spam ads on my computer!

Night Owl
November 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM
That sounds like an IPad issue. I'll turn off the setting for publishing to mobile browsers and see if that clears up

I'm posting this message from my phone browser and it works fine.

No problem with this post. Excellent.