PDA

View Full Version : Corgis "Vulnerable" In GB???

corgifan
November 5th, 2013, 3:22 PM
This is a shocker. Pembroke Welsh Corgis, made famous by the queen, are listed as a "vulnerable" breed in Great Britain due to low numbers of newly registered dogs. In my opinion they're the nicest, smartest, most unique looking dogs. Great pets and show animals! Tough to buy a decent quality dog in the US, but it's worth it.
http://www.today.com/pets/crikey-queens-beloved-corgi-breed-may-be-deemed-vulnerable-8C11535563

mac
November 5th, 2013, 3:24 PM
This is a shocker. Pembroke Welsh Corgis, made famous by the queen, are listed as a "vulnerable" breed in Great Britain due to low numbers of newly registered dogs. In my opinion they're the nicest, smartest, most unique looking dogs. Great pets and show animals! Tough to buy a decent quality dog in the US, but it's worth it.
http://www.today.com/pets/crikey-queens-beloved-corgi-breed-may-be-deemed-vulnerable-8C11535563

not only that but they make GOOD bait!......mac

sojourner truth
November 5th, 2013, 4:29 PM
Our pup is half Welsh Corgi and half sneaky Chihuaua...She is a cutie pie.

When we got her, we were looking for a full breed Corgi, and it was darn near impossible to find one from a reputable breeder. As in there aren't many reputable Corgi breeders in the US. There are breeders out there, many in the Dallas Ft Worth area, but once you do a little research you find that their very overpriced pups usually have disease issues.

We have an order in to our current dogs mothers owners, that when they breed her mom with another registered Corgi, we will get the pick of the litter. But...alas...they have chosen to wait an undetermined amount of time to breed her. We just have to make do with the sweetie pie we have now...Not too hard to do.

xzochye
November 5th, 2013, 4:40 PM
not only that but they make GOOD bait!......mac

Someone should use you as bait.

mac
November 5th, 2013, 4:42 PM
well......that's allready been done. our guvment did that. but i was talkin' 'bout bait for coyotes........and while i used to be a wolf, i've never been a coyote.....mac

Someone should use you as bait.

siamcat
November 5th, 2013, 5:17 PM
I often find that mixed breeds make much better pets then overpriced full bred animals and are generally more healthy. We have a black lab mix (maybe with a pit bull) who is the sweetest dog in the world.
We only get our dogs and cats from shelters for a small fee. I could not see spending hundreds of dollars on a pure bred when there are so many great animals out there waiting to be rescued.

mac
November 5th, 2013, 5:35 PM
I often find that mixed breeds make much better pets then overpriced full bred animals and are generally more healthy. We have a black lab mix (maybe with a pit bull) who is the sweetest dog in the world.
We only get our dogs and cats from shelters for a small fee. I could not see spending hundreds of dollars on a pure bred when there are so many great animals out there waiting to be rescued.

you are absolutely correct about that Siam. Curs are far better dogs than something like an irish setter or breed that has been bred for some specific visual reason or for any specific reason as far as that goes. many great breeds have been absolutely ruined by breeding for looks and now those breeds are afflicted by all kind of genetic or inherited problems like displasia or the like. there are some exemptions to the rule when you consider some of the less well known or more recent breeds like the jack russel that have not yet been weakened but they too will with time dissipate or disolute. i would always say go for a cur if you can......mac (chances are that black lab of your's would come down with hip displasia if he didn't have that "other" in him.....

sojourner truth
November 5th, 2013, 5:47 PM
Our "breed" is a wonderful dog...and spoiled rotten. I can't understand one thing though...Both Corgis and Chihuauas have ears that stand straight up and pointy all the time..Our dog has LES..Lazy ear syndrone. The only time her "Corgis" pop up is when food is around.

She has all the right colors and shape...just lazy ears.

Every dog we have owned since 1986 here in Texas was a saved dog, and all were the greatest. The only problem we ever had was from one we got at The Killeen shelter in 86 that had mange. That cost us hundreds of dollars to fix.

mac
November 5th, 2013, 5:54 PM
man oh man, you guys are startin' to scare the poop out of me with all these horror stories about our dog pound...and i'm a regular donor to them! i will prob'ly be lookin' for an older dog next year and, naturally, would've went to the pound to get one unless a stray swung by but man oh man, i sure don't like what i've been hearin' lately.......mac

birdfriend
November 5th, 2013, 6:00 PM
There are other animal shelters in the area (and many rescue organizations in the Austin area). The Bell County Animal Shelter has a facebook page and you might want to check out their available animals.

xzochye
November 5th, 2013, 6:02 PM
The Killeen pound is horrible. The rescue that I am with rarely does business with them because of the condition the animals are in. They also do not take kindly to having any type of testing on the animals before being rescued, even if it is paid for by the organization wanting to do the rescuing.

Mac, when you get ready to adopt just let me know and I will see what we have or what can be rescued. We mostly have puppies and younger animals but just a few weeks ago we were looking for someone for a couple of senior dogs.

mac
November 5th, 2013, 6:12 PM
i'll do that XZ. This is really disturbing and will be disturbing to Ursula when I tell her about it too. We have been quite generous to the local pound since, oh prob'ly '85.....at least a hundred bucks a month and that counts up to quite a bit! we always helped them out even when, it seemed at times, they made it kind of difficult to do. thanx for the response, XZ.....mac

The Killeen pound is horrible. The rescue that I am with rarely does business with them because of the condition the animals are in. They also do not take kindly to having any type of testing on the animals before being rescued, even if it is paid for by the organization wanting to do the rescuing.

Mac, when you get ready to adopt just let me know and I will see what we have or what can be rescued. We mostly have puppies and younger animals but just a few weeks ago we were looking for someone for a couple of senior dogs.

xzochye
November 5th, 2013, 6:26 PM
i'll do that XZ. This is really disturbing and will be disturbing to Ursula when I tell her about it too. We have been quite generous to the local pound since, oh prob'ly '85.....at least a hundred bucks a month and that counts up to quite a bit! we always helped them out even when, it seemed at times, they made it kind of difficult to do. thanx for the response, XZ.....mac

Not trying to take away from the city pound (all animals need the help) but if they give you a difficult time trying to help out look for a local rescue instead. Just do a little research and you would be surprised how many there are around here.

I know the one I am with is always looking for help. That can be volunteering at an adoption event, providing transportation, food or monetary donations, fostering the ways are endless. My group rescues a lot of animals that have less than 48 hours to live. We have pulled animals with parvo, mange and other illnesses, nursed them back to health and then put them up for adoption. It's pretty rewarding. I recently became a foster failure myself. (That means I adopted a foster...lol)

siamcat
November 5th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Maybe the Killeen Animal Shelter has declined, when we got our pup there several years ago they seemed ok.

kantwin
November 5th, 2013, 7:24 PM
Our "breed" is a wonderful dog...and spoiled rotten. I can't understand one thing though...Both Corgis and Chihuauas have ears that stand straight up and pointy all the time..Our dog has LES..Lazy ear syndrone. The only time her "Corgis" pop up is when food is around.

She has all the right colors and shape...just lazy ears.

Our chi-hua-hua had both of her ears starting to stand up when she was a pup. Then she had an encounter with a fire ant. Her face swelled up and looked like a pug. Got her on the right cheek, I reckon. Left ear is up, right ear is floppy.

xzochye
November 5th, 2013, 7:27 PM
Our chi-hua-hua had both of her ears starting to stand up when she was a pup. Then she had an encounter with a fire ant. Her face swelled up and looked like a pug. Got her on the right cheek, I reckon. Left ear is up, right ear is floppy.

CUTE!!

CenTexDave
November 6th, 2013, 9:40 AM
That ain't a dog. It's a large rat.:))

mac
November 6th, 2013, 9:50 AM
we can't have a dog with bulging eyeballs in our home. the wife was on the scene when my mother's pug walked into a bush limb and lost an eyeball......and it wasn't pretty......i have told her, prob'ly a hundred times, that it didn't get poked out because it was a bulging eye ball, it got poked out because the dog didn't have no nose.....but to no avail. no dogs with bulging eye balls in our home....too many red tipped photinias and sage around.......mac

mac
November 6th, 2013, 9:55 AM

it could very well be that the most healthiest dog to get today is the wolf-hybrid.....but of course they come with a different set of problems.......but they sure are pretty and....loyal.....mac

Iteachtoo
November 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Most of my pets have found me, as in walk in my yard and never leave. My kids used to laugh and say there must be a sign out there somewhere that said, "need good home, follow the arrows", which of course, led to our house. :)

FieryPrincess
November 6th, 2013, 5:53 PM
We have a dog that we adopted out of Second Chance that has been the most fabulous addition to our family. I've never owned anything but rescues.

If ever I got a full-blooded dog, it would like be a Rottie. Love those dogs! They're almost as stubborn and strong-willed as I am.

xzochye
November 6th, 2013, 5:59 PM
We have a dog that we adopted out of Second Chance that has been the most fabulous addition to our family. I've never owned anything but rescues.

If ever I got a full-blooded dog, it would like be a Rottie. Love those dogs! They're almost as stubborn and strong-willed as I am.

I had a full blooded rott one time. Most spoiled rotten lovable dog ever! Seriously, he was doggie napped twice! First time he was gone for several weeks and someone saw our flyer and told us where he was. The second time my best friends dad saw him just jump in someones car as happy as can be so he followed them...lol.

mac
November 6th, 2013, 6:59 PM
i don't know how many of you get the home again pet rescuers notices but apparently there's an english bulldog on the loose in town that someone is lookin' for real bad. last seen at shewald and hope.....it's a 7 yo bitch and chipped, white and brindle.....mac

Imagine
November 14th, 2013, 8:58 PM
Our last three dogs have all been rescues. One was a golden lab / dachshund mix that was such an ugly puppy that the owners were going to put the entire litter down just for being ugly. We took one of them, mostly at my daughter's urging. Lost the last of our dogs in September after 16 years of joy. He wasn't pure-bred, or at least I don't think so because he was too big according to the standards, but he was primarily Papillon. When I'm ready to get another dog, I'm going to seriously consider trying to find another Papillon; there's definitely a reason the nickname for the breed is "Happy Pappies."

mac
November 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
imagine: a papillion is another one of those "high maintenance" dogs i was tallkin' 'bout earlier...lots and lots of inbreeding. your last dog that lived to be 16 didn't live that long because she was a "pure blood"......mac

Our last three dogs have all been rescues. One was a golden lab / dachshund mix that was such an ugly puppy that the owners were going to put the entire litter down just for being ugly. We took one of them, mostly at my daughter's urging. Lost the last of our dogs in September after 16 years of joy. He wasn't pure-bred, or at least I don't think so because he was too big according to the standards, but he was primarily Papillon. When I'm ready to get another dog, I'm going to seriously consider trying to find another Papillon; there's definitely a reason the nickname for the breed is "Happy Pappies."

Imagine
November 25th, 2013, 5:36 AM
I hear you,Mac, and in all honesty I probably can't afford the $$$ that a
pure Pappy would cost..but I like to think I could. And I'd for sure research the breed-line. God willing I'll have another; God not wiling is because there's a better dog for me out there or He has a dog that really needs me for a forever home.