PDA

View Full Version : Nov 1 Games

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2013, 1:00 PM
Getting to be crunch time sports fans.
Temple at Cove appears to be the key game. Both need the win badly, but Cove more so. A loss by Cove would be three losses in district and possibly miss the playoffs. A Temple loss and they are still alive and should make the playoffs.

xzochye
October 30th, 2013, 1:20 PM
As of today:

Midway 4 wins
Temple 4 wins
Cove 3 wins
SHS 3 wins
KHS 2 wins
HHHS 2 wins
Belton 2 wins
EHS 0 wins

Going to be an exciting Friday night that's for sure!

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2013, 6:10 PM
Belton (2-6, 2-3 8-5A) at Shoemaker (5-3, 3-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday (Hood Stadium): Shoemaker lost 49-14 at Belton a year ago, and hasn’t beaten the Tigers since a 34-17 win at Leo Buckley Stadium in 2006.
Ellison (0-8, 0-5 8-5A) at Killeen (2-6, 2-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday (Buckley Stadium): After a much-needed win against Belton, Killeen will try to keep pace in the 8-5A playoff race against Ellison, still searching for its first win. Killeen smashed Ellison 54-22 last year, and hasn’t lost to the Eagles since a 20-14 loss in 2009.
Harker Heights (2-6, 2-3 8-5A) at Midway (6-2, 4-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday: After losing two straight, Heights will try to do what Shoemaker did just a week before: Hand the first-place Panthers a loss at home.
Temple (5-3, 4-1 8-5A) at Copperas Cove (5-3, 3-2): A matchup between two of the district’s top offenses playing in a game with huge playoff implications for both teams.

Joyous. Shoemaker gets to play at Hood Stadium again. Hope nobody gets hurt. The Wolves should handle Belton.
Lots of luck Heights, but no way.
Would be nice to see Ellison win one, but I don't see it.
And Cove best win or things will get very interesting about the playoffs.

xzochye
October 30th, 2013, 6:14 PM
Belton (2-6, 2-3 8-5A) at Shoemaker (5-3, 3-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday (Hood Stadium): Shoemaker lost 49-14 at Belton a year ago, and hasn’t beaten the Tigers since a 34-17 win at Leo Buckley Stadium in 2006.
Ellison (0-8, 0-5 8-5A) at Killeen (2-6, 2-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday (Buckley Stadium): After a much-needed win against Belton, Killeen will try to keep pace in the 8-5A playoff race against Ellison, still searching for its first win. Killeen smashed Ellison 54-22 last year, and hasn’t lost to the Eagles since a 20-14 loss in 2009.
Harker Heights (2-6, 2-3 8-5A) at Midway (6-2, 4-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday: After losing two straight, Heights will try to do what Shoemaker did just a week before: Hand the first-place Panthers a loss at home.
Temple (5-3, 4-1 8-5A) at Copperas Cove (5-3, 3-2): A matchup between two of the district’s top offenses playing in a game with huge playoff implications for both teams.

Joyous. Shoemaker gets to play at Hood Stadium again. Hope nobody gets hurt. The Wolves should handle Belton.
Lots of luck Heights, but no way.
Would be nice to see Ellison win one, but I don't see it.
And Cove best win or things will get very interesting about the playoffs.

I know where you got that from hehehe. Just read that about 20 minutes ago.

How do high school playoffs work? How many spots from each district and in case of equal numbers of wins between schools how do they decide?

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2013, 7:29 PM
Guess I should give credit where credit is due. Ok - thank you KDH. lol
Four from each district. Two go "big school"; two go "small school". In case of a tie, say there are 3 teams with 3 losses, then head to head in district would determine who goes and who stays home. If that can't decide it, then - unless this has changed - a coin flip.
Ever see the movie "Friday Night Lights"? In the movie (back then only two teams from each district went into the playoffs) there were three teams with identical records. Only two could go. So they had a coin flip. The two that matched went, the one that didn't stayed home. Of course the way it was done in the movie was all three coaches were present at some out of the way diner in west Texas somewhere. In reality when it happened, it was done over the phone. Abilene Cooper lost out, and to this day some say he was cheated by those present at the coin flip.

xzochye
October 30th, 2013, 8:00 PM
So incase of a tie the pre district games count?

xzochye
October 30th, 2013, 8:03 PM
Judging on the way it looks today it will be Temple, Midway, Cove, and SHS in the playoffs?

Hopefully the win against Midway doesn't get to our boys heads and we good Fridaay against Belton.

CenTexDave
October 30th, 2013, 8:35 PM
So incase of a tie the pre district games count?
Don't get me lying on that XZ. I'm not sure. I do know I've seen teams with a 4-6 record in the playoffs. I doubt those 6 losses were all in district. lol

Night Owl
October 30th, 2013, 9:24 PM
Only district games count.

RooDawg
October 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
The tie breakers go head to head first if there is a tie between two-teams. If there is a three-way tie then the tie breaker is the records against each other. The next tie breaker are point differential for the district games. The maximum points differential that a team can get in a game is 18-points. This means that if Team A beats Team B in a district game 40-20 and the point differential is 20 points, it will only count as 18 points for tie breaking. If there is still a tie between teams after that then it will go to a coin flip.

Non-district games have no bearing on the district standings.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 7:27 PM
Getting ready to kick off at the Pound.
Everyone please post scores.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 7:37 PM
Dawgs receive the kickoff. 3 plays and a Manny Harris TD pass. Extra point is missed. That is the second in two weeks.
Dawgs-6, Temple-0

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 7:48 PM
Cove threatening again after forcing Temple 3 and out. First and goal on the 2.
Dawg TD!!!! Manny Harris shuttle pass to Philip Baptiste. Extra point blocked and Temple takes it for 2. Get your kicking game fixed Welch!!
12-0, Cove.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 7:51 PM
Te4mple - 72 yard TD run. PAT is good.
Cove-12, Temple-9
Cove's kicking game and defense sucking as usual.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 7:59 PM
Dawgs are falling apart. They go 3 and out, Temple goes right down the field.
16-12 Temple.

corgifan
November 1st, 2013, 7:59 PM
7-7 knights/panthers 2 mins to go 1st qtr. HH holding its own so far.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:08 PM
25 yard FG for Cove, 16-15, Temple, still 1:15 left in 1st.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:12 PM
Belton and Shoemaker tied at 14
Midway 10, Heights 7
Ellison and Killeen tied at 7

corgifan
November 1st, 2013, 8:14 PM
14-10 Knights. 8 mins to go in half.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:14 PM
:)

corgifan
November 1st, 2013, 8:16 PM
17-14 Midway

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:18 PM
:(

corgifan
November 1st, 2013, 8:19 PM
24-14 after a kickoff fumble recovery.

corgifan
November 1st, 2013, 8:20 PM
This is going to be a long night...

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:24 PM
Just an example of how truly crappy Cove's defense is this year - have Temple stopped, 4th and 13 at Cove's 30. Temple goes for it and gets a first down. Inexcusable.
Now it's 4th and 2 at the 3 yard line. Temple goes for it - and...................... TD pass. Receiver wide open.
I am hearing boos over the radio. That blocked two point PAT returned for two by Temple changed momentum big time.
:(

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:30 PM
Dawgs score. Manny Harris to Philip Baptiste TD (normal lol)
2 point PAT.
Tied at the Pound, 23-23.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:38 PM
OMG - Cove forces a punt!!! :) 5:41 left before the half.
Dawgs get the punt at Temple's 43.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:40 PM
TD Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PAT is good. 30-23 Cove.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:44 PM
Not a football score, but...........
Lady Dawgs volleyball defeat Midway in 5 sets to claim the 8-5A championship. Well done, Ladies. :)

xzochye
November 1st, 2013, 8:52 PM
35-28 Belton is leading. This is a back and forth back and forth game

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:52 PM
Cove throws an interception.
Cove player goes to make the tackle at the 50 and is clipped. The whole stadium erupted in boos when not called.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 8:55 PM
TD Temple off the Dawg turnover.
16 seconds before halftime.
Tied at 30.

corgifan
November 1st, 2013, 8:59 PM
31-14 Midway at half. This is a beautiful stadium. Best I've seen.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:00 PM
Manny Harris hits a long pass with 3 seconds left, but they get the receiver down at the 8 yard line and no time left.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:01 PM
31-14 Midway at half. This is a beautiful stadium. Best I've seen.
You been to Waco ISD? The Palace at Round Rock? Allen's new stadium cost $46M. Katy is building one that costs $59M.

xzochye
November 1st, 2013, 9:05 PM
You been to Waco ISD? The Palace at Round Rock? Allen's new stadium cost $46M. Katy is building one that costs $59M.

The palace is awesome

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:44 PM
Temple receives second half kickoff. Cove holds and forces a long punt. Dawgs move from their own 10 and get to the 11 but have to kick a FG.
Dawgs 33-30.
Dawgs kick off and intercept a pass. Dawgs have the ball on Temple's 26.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:50 PM
And couldn't score. :(

Wolfdawg
November 1st, 2013, 9:50 PM
KDH Scoreboard isn't covering the SHS Belton game!?! Any news or update?

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:51 PM
Belton was winning last I heard, something like 34-28.
Temple scores and leads 37-33.

xzochye
November 1st, 2013, 9:55 PM
KDH Scoreboard isn't covering the SHS Belton game!?! Any news or update?

49-42 us

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:56 PM
Go Wolves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 9:57 PM
Cove gets the kickoff. Moves down the field and fumbles - again!!!!!!!
Temple ball.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM
Temple 50 yard run to the 2. Temple TD.
Dawgs are toast.

xzochye
November 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
56-42

Scarlett
November 1st, 2013, 10:02 PM
KHS 33-EHS 9

Lord. Make this season end already!

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:02 PM
Shoemaker scores again!!!
Scarlett - I feel your pain.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:04 PM
Midway 45-21 over Heights

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:05 PM
end of 3rd, 44-33. Dawgs ball on Temple's 26.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Turn the ball over on downs at Temple's 20.
Goodnight Dawgs.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:11 PM
Cove has given up nearly 300 rushing yards.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM
We'll assume Temple wins this.
Also will assume that Cove will beat Heights next week (maybe. Who knows with this Dawgs' team. lol)
Big Joe Lombardi just announced with this scenario Cove would most likely meet DeSoto in the first - and Cove's only - playoff game.
DeSoto is ranked #2 in the state. :))

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
Final: Midway-45, Heights-14.

Wolfdawg
November 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
This is several weeks in a row that KDH Scoreboard hasn't covered Shoemaker and the radio station from CTC has covered games from Ft. Hood Stadium instead of the Shoemaker game at Leo Buckley. I guess I should expect this, but we are in the running for playoffs, yet Ellison continues to get coverage?

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Temple losing their composure. Personal fouls on 3 consecutive plays. Officials have stopped play and read the riot act to Temple's coaches. Jack Welch even crossed the field and went to Temple's head coach. Good Lord!!!!

xzochye
November 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
This is several weeks in a row that KDH Scoreboard hasn't covered Shoemaker and the radio station from CTC has covered games from Ft. Hood Stadium instead of the Shoemaker game at Leo Buckley. I guess I should expect this, but we are in the running for playoffs, yet Ellison continues to get coverage?

Shoemaker is at hood tonight. We are now 62-42. 1:20 left. We got this!

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2013, 10:31 PM
Congrats Shoemaker.
Dawgs gonna give up another TD here in a second.
Yep, Cove getting their butts spanked tonight. 51-33.

Wolfdawg
November 1st, 2013, 10:37 PM
Just sad that 3 HS's get coverage and one is left in the dark. :doh

xzochye
November 1st, 2013, 10:51 PM
WOW!! SHS has a better record than Cove!!

Funny but I remember somebody once saying that SHS would never be able to compete in KISD much less in 8-5A.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2013, 6:15 AM
That somebody was not me. They've had great athletes, just needed to put it all together and they have.
Maybe Cove will just lose next week and sit at home during the playoffs. Would be a fitting end to a disappointing season. Same thing happened ten years ago when they were loaded with offensive weapons and the D sucked. I guess that season stuck with the coaches because beginning in 2004 they started having those amazing teams that would win district and go far into the playoffs.

Bob_Popular
November 2nd, 2013, 8:14 AM
Would temple be co district champions with a win next week?

sojourner truth
November 2nd, 2013, 8:23 AM
Not sure what happened last night with my Eagles...Their offensive game was just that...Offensive. Almost all in the air, and #7 had some really bad aim. They turned the ball over on fumbles almost every posession in the first half.

I understand they have QB injuries, and only one RB, but they have other talent that is going unused.

Just a terrible game last night.

gvls78
November 2nd, 2013, 9:01 AM
Ellison has lost TWENTYEIGHT games in a row. I think they have to many problems to list lol. I can't believe at 3-6 my Roos are still in the playoff hunt. Beat Temple next week and we keep Cove home!! Go Roos.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2013, 9:35 AM

Yep, but Midway would get the #1 seed because they beat Temple.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2013, 9:37 AM
Ellison has lost TWENTYEIGHT games in a row. I think they have to many problems to list lol. I can't believe at 3-6 my Roos are still in the playoff hunt. Beat Temple next week and we keep Cove home!! Go Roos.

Keep dreaming. Killeen won't beat Temple.
But even if the Dawgs go to the playoffs it will be one and done. Their defense sucks this year and they most likely will get to play DeSoto - number 2 ranked in 5-A. :))

cnjbond
November 2nd, 2013, 9:41 AM

Now wouldn't that be the icing on the cake?! They beat Cove for the first time in forever and then still have a chance to kick them out of the playoffs too...that's like beating them TWICE!!

LET'S GO ROOS!!!

Bob_Popular
November 2nd, 2013, 9:50 AM
Keep dreaming. Killeen won't beat Temple.
But even if the Dawgs go to the playoffs it will be one and done. Their defense sucks this year and they most likely will get to play DeSoto - number 2 ranked in 5-A. :))

Neither of them deserves to go. 4 teams going to the playoffs is a terrible idea. Any team with three wins in week 9 should be getting ready to pick up the equipment

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I agree 100%. Ever since they watered down the playoffs with big school/small school it has gotten ridiculous.
Saw a team once in the playoffs with a 3-7 record, and 4-6 is not all that uncommon. What a waste of expense for the district to even have to bus the players and band to a game they have about as much chance to win as a snowball has in hell.

And Mr. Bond - I seriously doubt Killeen will, or even can, beat Temple. If they do I would think it would be because Temple wanted them to win just to keep Cove out of the playoffs - and I wouldn't put it past them to do just that. Cove gets no sympathy nor do they deserve it.
Everyone has known for years the only reason Welch keeps the assistant offensive coordinator he has is because he is his brother, and the defensive coordinator had three sons who were big time stars for the Dawgs. Well, the kids are now long gone. Find a defensive coordinator. That defense plainly is terrible. Temple rushed for 475 yards last night!!!

xzochye
November 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
That somebody was not me.

Nope sure wasn't. It was Onetime.

RooDawg
November 4th, 2013, 8:05 AM

That is correct.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2013, 8:43 AM
I hope Cove loses. :))
Last time they were this bad (2003) they missed the playoffs and it seemed to refocus the coaches and players. The next year started an amazing run of playoffs - a regional final, two state finals, and a state semi-final.
Also hope Shoemaker wins and goes deep in the playoffs.

xzochye
November 4th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I hope Cove loses. :))
Last time they were this bad (2003) they missed the playoffs and it seemed to refocus the coaches and players. The next year started an amazing run of playoffs - a regional final, two state finals, and a state semi-final.
Also hope Shoemaker wins and goes deep in the playoffs.

That would be Awesome. Not Cove losing but the SHS part. :-)

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Nice try, XZ. Admit it - you want Cove to lose. :))

xzochye
November 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Nice try, XZ. Admit it - you want Cove to lose. :))

We have our playoff spot so it doesn't matter to me :-* That being said I hope there are no big upsets this coming Friday! hahah

xzochye
November 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Now Dave, you mentioned earlier that you guys may play Desoto in the playoffs. How can I get a rough idea of who SHS is going to be up against?

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2013, 1:51 PM
I don't know. I can't find much out about it. also in that district is Mansfield, Cedar Hill and Duncanville.
I do know Shoemaker will go big school along with either Cove or Killeen and Temple and Midway will go small school.

1962bc
November 4th, 2013, 2:37 PM
If Shoemaker finishes 3rd, they likely play Cedar Hill, which is the #2 team in 7-5A. Usually very good.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2013, 3:22 PM
If they finish third, which is what they will do, they would be the #1 big school seed from our district and would play the lower seed out of 7-5A.

xzochye
November 4th, 2013, 4:28 PM
If they finish third, which is what they will do, they would be the #1 big school seed from our district and would play the lower seed out of 7-5A.

Seed this seed that I AM SO CONFUSED! Why would SHS be the #1 big school seed when Temple and Midway has a better record.

CenTexDave
November 4th, 2013, 4:48 PM
Because they have smaller student population.

stevendub
November 5th, 2013, 4:16 PM
What up everyone Shoemaker supporter here..

I saw a projection where the Wolves would play Mansfield Timberview in bi-district and that should hold true if the Wolves win Friday night (which they should). Don't know when or where though. I do know this though, they have 2 DBs committed to major D1 colleges so it'll be a test for the offense.

A little OT here but I would be disappointed if they don't give QB #11 Banner the district MVP at the end of the year. That kid has been lights out this year.

xzochye
November 5th, 2013, 4:27 PM
Yuck! We played Mansfield last year in the baseball playoffs and it wasn't pretty at all.

If we do play them the game would probably be in the Waco area.

CenTexDave
November 5th, 2013, 9:27 PM
Won't know until late Friday night or early Saturday the who, where and when.
I'd rather play Mansfield Timberview than Cedar Hill any day. Cedar Hill won it all a couple of years ago and is currently ranked #16.

RooDawg
November 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Here is the standing in district 7-5A heading into this last week (enrollment):

Desoto (2832.5) 6-0
Cedar Hill (2145) 5-1
Mansfield Timberview (2770) 4-2
Mansfield (2532) 4-2

Desoto and Mansfield Timberview would be placed in the Division 1 playoffs since they are the two largest schools making the playoffs from that district.

Cedar Hill and Mansfield would be placed in the Division 2 bracket.

Midway and Temple would be placed in the Division 2 bracket since their enrollment numbers are less than Shoemaker, Killeen, and Copperas Cove.

The bracket in Division 1 is pretty much set right now with Desoto playing Killeen or Copperas Cove, whichever one makes the playoffs (Heights does have a long shot at that spot as well.)

Shoemaker will be playing Mansfield Timberview.

The Division 2 bracket still needs to be determined. If Midway and Temple finish the season with the same record, Midway would be the #1 seed from our district because of their win over Temple. They would then be set to play Mansfield (figuring Mansfield would lose to Desoto in the last week of the season) in the first round.

This means that Temple would be set to play Cedar Hill.

CenTexDave
November 5th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Anyway you slice it, 8-5A will be one and done.

cnjbond
November 5th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Killeen did a good job against Mansfield a few years ago in the playoffs, they just couldn't take advantage of the opportunities given to them and lost. I think either Temple or Midway could beat them.

At least I think it was Mansfield that they played against... :?