PDA

View Full Version : A Happy Tail

centexile
May 20th, 2009, 4:56 PM
On November 19, my dog, Eddie, got out of my back yard. He had never been a digger, but a week earlier I received a call from Animal Control saying they had him. After busting him out of the joint, I raced home and checked my fence. I blocked a hole and only let Eddie out for short time spans, but within 20 minutes that following week, he dug his way out again.

I was beside myself. I roamed my neighborhood for hours in search of him. We lived in north Killeen and I just knew the booms from Fort Hood had spooked him and sent him running, but I didn't know where.

I posted fliers around town, posted ads on Craigslist, put an ad in the newspaper (with his picture even!), called the Animal Shelter daily. I called every vet in town and asked them to be on the look out for a Sheltie - he was micro-chipped. Nothing.

Thanksgiving passed with a false alarm from a neighbor, not Eddie. Christmas came and went. No Eddie.

Then, January came and I had to move - 700 miles away. Without Eddie.

Out of the blue, one day early in February, I got a call from Town and Country Veterinary Hospital in Killeen. They had Eddie!

A couple had brought him in for a check up because he kept drooling. They had adopted him from someone else. As is routine at vet offices, the new patient was checked for a microchip and found reported lost.

Eddie is old (19!) with a lot of health issues. He has been with me over two years and I missed him more than I can say. It was five days before I was able to get back to Killeen, but Town and Country took good care of my baby. They didn't even charge me to board him those days, saying they were just glad to help reunite us!

I feel bad for the couple that adopted Eddie. I know they were heartbroken because they had fallen in love with him during the two months he lived with them. The vet techs told me it was a tearful time for them. I wish the couple well and hope they have found the right dog that makes them happy.

I want to thank Town and Country and everyone else who helped in my search for Eddie. He is happy and healthy and loving his new home!

Moral of the story: Microchip your pets!

Scarlett
May 20th, 2009, 5:24 PM
Preaching to the choir about that one! Oscar is definitely micro chipped and has been returned three times to me because of it! Completely worth the money.

FieryPrincess
May 21st, 2009, 6:02 AM
I have a microchipped dog, but they have always been returned to us because my phone number is hanging on a tag on their neck. Also very defintely worth the $$$

christine
May 21st, 2009, 6:28 AM
how much would you guys say this costs. just a ball part figure. I want to do it for my dog. just in case.

Scarlett
May 21st, 2009, 6:34 AM
Around 50 bucks I think.
And Oscar rips all collars and tags off of him...thus the need for the chip!

dmc
May 21st, 2009, 9:23 AM
If you are a military member or dependant, you can have your animal chipped on post for less than $20.00.

christine
May 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
thanks guys. I'll call my vet today. I thought it was gonna be over $100.

centexile
May 21st, 2009, 1:02 PM
Keep an eye out in the Austin area too ... sometimes shelters offer to microchip for $10-15 ... your puppy gets an adventure (road trip!) and you get insurance :-) and Scarlett is right ... a lot of animals lose their collars when they get away. They get caught on fences, bushes, etc.

Also, I got to be great friends with the people at the Killeen Animal Shelter ... and became practically an expert in lost animals.

1. If your pet goes missing, call the shelter and ask them to fill out a missing pet form. That way if someone calls saying they found an animal, the shelter can see if there is one like it in the missing animal file. You can also do this if you found an animal but don't want to take it to the shelter. That way, if the owner calls the shelter, the staff can match y'all up.

2. If you find a stray, you can take it to the shelter (or any vet, I'm sure) to get it checked for a microchip - AT NO COST. You don't have to leave it at the shelter if you don't want to.

3. If your pet is missing, check the shelter's website immediately (and often). The first time Eddie went missing, he was on their site within an hour of them finding him. At first I was miffed, thinking they were trying to adopt out my dog way too quickly, but the second time I realized that their fast upload allowed me to know as soon as my dog was found.

4. A lot of convenience stores/gas stations have community bulletin boards. They are almost always covered with missing animals. It would be nice if, as a community, we routinely kept an eye on these boards. If you see someone is missing their pet then you know to keep an eye out for it. You know?

Just some lessons learned the hard way ....

MyFoot76541
May 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Chips are extremely important. I have even heard to microchip with two chips, on each side of the body, so if one travels and moved from the usual scan areas the other one may still remain... haven't met anyone who practices that...

One of my stray dogs (well years ago she walked into my open front door and flopped down like she belonged, so I guess she wasn't a stray in her mind) had a microchip that allowed me to track her two previous years. She had been in and out of various shelters in the area and was a professional runner. None of the previous owner wanted her - too much hassle they said. So we kept her. After two years more or less in the street she adopted to home life nicely.

She ran two more times, but had bad experiences each time which made her decide to stay for good. The first time a farmer shot at her for going after his chickens, and the second time a cow kicked her a few yards.... I would stay home too! LOL

FieryPrincess
May 27th, 2009, 9:50 PM
When I was little we had a runner. We saw him with a different family one day and he seemed perfectly happy with them.

I guess sometimes dogs just need the right family.