PDA

View Full Version : JUST Heights Football/Band/Dancers

corgifan
September 8th, 2013, 9:56 PM
I am looking forward to the Knights improving on the defense side of the ball as the season goes on. Two weeks in a row of getting stomped in the 2nd half has been pretty rough! I have no idea if the difficulties they're having are due to having lots of underclassmen on the team, a new defensive system, or a combination of both. Or something else? Does the turnover of military dependent student athletes have that great an impact on team strength?Anyone with knowledge of the subject have any thoughts?

corgifan
September 15th, 2013, 2:38 PM
Friday's 41-20 loss to Cedar park wasn't as close as the score, but it was entertaining. Kickoff return for a touchdown. 98 yard run that almost made it in for a TD, but they scored right after that. The Knights quarterback didn't throw or run as well as he did in the first two games. I'm looking forward to Belton and the city match ups after the bye week.Band and dancers looked and sounded good. One of the Belles hurt her leg and had to be helped off the field. Hope she's feeling better. You don't expect an injury from the halftime entertainers, but it happens now and then. The Cedar Park band was quite good. Sounded more like a college band than high school, even better than Round Rock last week. Lots of money in that town. Probably half of the kids take private lessons, but good for them. Good clean fun!Next up: @Belton

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2013, 3:48 PM
Noting to be hang their heads about. CP is defending state champs.

corgifan
September 28th, 2013, 9:24 AM
Following the same script. Big first half lead, defense collapses in 2nd half. It has to change sooner or later.

Band looked good. Belton band much bigger and a bit better sound. LONG halftime show! I think it went over time limit.

Dancers did a new routine. Very good!

corgifan
October 5th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I'm not surprised by anything anymore. Killeen beats cove one week, then loses to the Knights the next week. The Roos were pretty bad on both sides of the ball all night long. The Knights offense was as potent as ever, and their defense finally hung on long enough to win in the 2nd half. Even so, after being up 31 - 14 in the 2nd half the Roos made it close. Everyone was holding their breath after they scored, drawing within 6, then recovered the onside kick with less than a minute left in the game. One good throw by Garrett Gaskamp could have ended the game in favor of Killeen. I was very surprised at the lack of community support for Killeen. I'd say that the visiting stands were about 40% full. For crying out loud, the game was held in their neighborhood stadium. They just knocked off the perennial district champion one week earlier. WHERE WAS EVERYONE? Love the bands and dancers. For a change the HHHS band was larger than their opponents. Other than that they were pretty evenly matched, as were the dance teams.

CenTexDave
October 5th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Surprised by the Roos' lack of fans?
I'm not. I've attended many games that Cove played the Roos at Leo Buckley. The visitor's side is overflowing and the home side not even half full.

DiamondKing
October 7th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Student and community support for KHS has never been very good.

beaver
October 7th, 2013, 2:39 PM
Student and community support for KHS has never been very good.

Never?
It was very well supported 35 years ago....... and then we split to 2 high schools........... then to four.

DiamondKing
October 7th, 2013, 2:48 PM
OK in the last 15 years.

CenTexDave
October 7th, 2013, 4:23 PM
Their support, IMO, seemed to seriously erode when Ellison started having those powerhouse teams in the mid to late 90's.

corgifan
October 12th, 2013, 1:10 AM
38 - 20 Knights, and the score wasn't that close. A bonehead bomb for a touchdown on third and forever in the 3rd quarter should never have happened. Heights was able to run the ball at will all night long. GREAT looking unies tonight! The bands were close in quality. The Screaming Eagles had better marching patterns, but the Red Brigade had better music sets. The Crimson Belles did their usual fine performance, but the Emeralds (IMO) remain the best dance unit in town. And their green and white unies with the white fringe are SO pretty! All in all an entertaining contest, except for the endless penalties that made the game last a long long time.

CenTexDave
October 12th, 2013, 5:17 AM
Poor Ellison.

corgifan
October 23rd, 2013, 9:37 PM
Never did mention the bands and dancers from the Shoemaker game. Same stuff from our band and dancers. They were working hard to get a final performance in before their UIL completion the next day. (They ended up receiving two 1's and a 2 on Saturday.) The Shoemaker band is very small in number, but they played big. A very nice performance. Unfortunately someone made a poor decision to have the band and choir perform the National Anthem together prior to the game. Band on the field, choir on the sidelines. Because they were miked, and because of the stadium's acoustics, the choir and band were so out of phase with each other that it was hard to listen to.

Wolfdawg
October 23rd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Speaking from one in the know...Band was not suppose to perform, band facing the scoreboard (sound delay), choir singing into a mic (another sound delay), and band director taking a ridiculous tempo all combined to a less that stellar performance. It will not happen again!:doh

xzochye
October 24th, 2013, 7:10 AM
So far all of the bands I have seen this year have been great. Of course I think SHS's band ROCKS! I am anxious to see Ellison's band. They always have a great show. I'm also curious about Midway's performance tomorrow night. I really don't remember their band from last year.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2013, 3:15 PM
If I were you I'd worry more about Midway's football team. :)

xzochye
October 24th, 2013, 4:21 PM
If I were you I'd worry more about Midway's football team. :)

Not even going there..... I'm a realist! Lol

corgifan
November 2nd, 2013, 5:42 PM
Quite a pasting the Knights took last night at the hands of Midway. I'm not that familiar with the ins and outs of district designations, but is 5A the best place for Killeen schools? Are we on the small side of population size for 5A? Our dancers did a kick routine that was nice, and they were dressed down in alternate warmup outfits. Their girls had about three times as many dancers as the Belles, were in full uniform, and looked great. Loved their poms! IMO we won the battle of the bands as far as sound, but our kids remained stationary the whole time. Both bands played only one song from their UIL sets, but that had to be because it was senior night at Panther Stadium. It took forever to introduce everyone, their parents, siblings, etc, etc, etc...!

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2013, 5:49 PM
All in 8-5A are small for 5-A. Some schools have 6000+ students. Must be a real zoo.
I don't know the exact size of all the schools in 8-5A, but most of them are in the 2300-2500 range.

RooDawg
November 3rd, 2013, 8:50 AM
Here are the numbers for the last snapshot for attendance for realignment by the UIL that was taken in October 2011:

Belton 2538
Ellison 2512
Harker Heights 2440
Shoemaker 2307
Killeen 2192
Copperas Cove 2174
Temple 2144
Midway 2127

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/5A-fb-bb-enroll-2012.pdf

The average enrollment for the 245 schools in class 5A is 2625 students.

The UIL district with the highest average enrollment was in district 10. Their average of enrollment was 4447 students. Schools in that district include Plano East (6015 students), Allen (5388), Plano (5314), and Plano West (4944).

The district with the smallest average enrollment was district 23. Their average enrollment was 2307. Those schools are in the Fort Bend area. The largest school in that district was Fort Bend Clements with 2659 students while the smallest in that district was Fort Bend Elkins with 2020 students.

The next smallest district in class 5A...you guessed it District 8 with an average enrollment of 2308.

And since we are almost to playoff time...District 7-5A, which is our Bi-District round opponents had an average enrollment of 2834 students. Duncanville leads the way as the largest school with 4008 students while Cedar Hill had the smallest enrollment of 2145.

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2013, 9:17 AM
And that just shows how big a difference exists within 5-A. Schools with an enrollment of 2100 cannot be expected, year in and year out, to compete with schools that have 5000-6000. It happens on occasion as I remember Cedar Hill won state a few years back, but it is a rarity.
Even the big school/small school playoff designation is not really fair as you have a district like District 10 and the smallest school probably has 4000.
It is what it is and we're stuck with it. Making a 6-A like has been talked about won't really help. What the UIL needs to do is raise the numbers of the 2-A thru 4-A schools a bit.
By the way, I find it hard to believe Temple, a city of 50,000+, has only 2144 enrolled in their high school.
Same with Midway. Midway should have been 5-A 10 years ago. Think they hide kids in their lockers when they take enrollment figures. :)

xzochye
November 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
And that just shows how big a difference exists within 5-A. Schools with an enrollment of 2100 cannot be expected, year in and year out, to compete with schools that have 5000-6000. It happens on occasion as I remember Cedar Hill won state a few years back, but it is a rarity.
Even the big school/small school playoff designation is not really fair as you have a district like District 10 and the smallest school probably has 4000.
It is what it is and we're stuck with it. Making a 6-A like has been talked about won't really help. What the UIL needs to do is raise the numbers of the 2-A thru 4-A schools a bit.
By the way, I find it hard to believe Temple, a city of 50,000+, has only 2144 enrolled in their high school.
Same with Midway. Midway should have been 5-A 10 years ago. Think they hide kids in their lockers when they take enrollment figures. :)

According to this article in KDH 6A is happening next year and Temple may move down.

http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/temple-salado-could-be-on-the-move-in-next-realignment/article_eccc3a08-3e0e-11e3-983f-0019bb30f31a.html

beaver
November 3rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
6A is Not really a new classification; they are just renaming the ones they already have. 6-man becomes 1A, 1A becomes 2A, 2A becomes 3A, 3A=4A, 4A=5A, and 5A=6A.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Classes-renamed-to-account-for-6A-addition-3972687.php

corgifan
November 9th, 2013, 2:32 PM
Last post (thankfully.) At least the game was close in the 1st half. The Knights should have had the halftime lead, but even if they did it wouldn't have mattered. Sloppy sloppy play all season long. It's fortunate that we won two games! I believe their quarterback is a junior. He wasn't the problem, and it will be good to have an even more seasoned QB returning. I had heard that the Cove dancers were top notch, but they put on a kind of a blah performance. The Crimson Bells were decent, but I can only watch the same kick routine so many times before I have to change the channel. (Or get a hot dog and a coke.) The Cove band was 50% bigger than the Knights, but I'd rate it a push in their halftime shows. Nice musical salute to veterans of all services. I proudly stood for the Army song!

CenTexDave
November 9th, 2013, 3:34 PM
Cove dancers are good. Must have been that truly upstanding, first class facility there were performing in. :))

gnatsum
November 9th, 2013, 5:12 PM

Theory behind that: there is a fairly good-sized Christian high school (or a church that has one) between the south side of Temple and Belton. Think the name of the school is Temple Christian. Perhaps that is where some of the teenagers in Temple attend school...
Another theory--some Temple residents actually live within the Belton ISD!!

gnatsum
November 9th, 2013, 5:18 PM
One more thing about Temple's population--that town does seem to have more than its "fair share" of NURSING HOMES...and don't forget the VA hospital does have long-term inpatient geriatric care...
Too many 'old farts' living in Temple...:))

Back to High Schools--I was listening to KNCT 91.3 FM a few weeks ago, and heard Heights playing someone other than Ellison on the station. When did KNCT drop Ellison games, or are those on a different night?
And WHO "decided" that the name of the Harker Heights High marching band's name should be the 'Red Brigade'?!? Isn't that the name of an Italian terrorist group?!? :))

gnatsum
November 9th, 2013, 5:48 PM
Something I just remembered about high schools and student populations--it's often up to the individual DISTRICTS to decide how many high schools it wants. I was once employed by a company that fabricated kitchen counters and serving lines for cafeterias and restaurants, and they had done some projects for the Frisco ISD just north of Dallas. Frisco wants to keep its individual campus populations well below 2,000 students, which explains just how an ISD serving a city with a 2012 population total of over 128,000 (and serving parts of McKinney and Plano!), can have SEVEN High Schools by the end of 2014!! (EIGHT by 2015!!!)---ALL of them are classified as 3A, from what I was told.

CenTexDave
November 9th, 2013, 5:52 PM
Nothing wrong at all with that. I went to a high school with about 800 kids. At least you were a person, not a number.

beaver
November 9th, 2013, 8:05 PM
And WHO "decided" that the name of the Harker Heights High marching band's name should be the 'Red Brigade'?!? Isn't that the name of an Italian terrorist group?!? :))

Yes. It is. I always wondered why that moniker was chosen.

sojourner truth
November 9th, 2013, 8:42 PM
Probably because the majority of us unwashed masses have never heard of it. We were asleep during that 5 minutes of world history.

It's like missing the 5 seconds on "Italian war heroes".

corgifan
November 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Bad enough that "red" is part of their name.

1962bc
November 16th, 2013, 2:38 PM
Something I just remembered about high schools and student populations--it's often up to the individual DISTRICTS to decide how many high schools it wants. I was once employed by a company that fabricated kitchen counters and serving lines for cafeterias and restaurants, and they had done some projects for the Frisco ISD just north of Dallas. Frisco wants to keep its individual campus populations well below 2,000 students, which explains just how an ISD serving a city with a 2012 population total of over 128,000 (and serving parts of McKinney and Plano!), can have SEVEN High Schools by the end of 2014!! (EIGHT by 2015!!!)---ALL of them are classified as 3A, from what I was told.

Almost all of Frisco's high schools are 4A, not 3A. Liberty, Centennial, Heritage, Wakeland, and Frisco High are all 4A. Growing community, one of the fastest growing communities in the US.

corgifan
August 31st, 2014, 9:59 AM
Football: 37-20 victory over the Waco Lions. Nice to win, but Waco was hopeless on defense. The Knights defense had big defensive lapses of their own in the first half on broken plays. Hopefully it was just first game jitters. I was shocked at the lack of support the Waco team had. Their stands were almost empty.

Bands: The Red Brigade Band looked good. They're playing a baseball themed show. Interesting/strange choice of theme, but they're making the most of it. Waco band was tiny by comparison. Good sound for a small unit, but their show theme is non-descript.

Dancers: The Crimson Belles are still a tight, well choreographed unit. They danced to a 1950's rock and roll song. Pretty unies!

CenTexDave
August 31st, 2014, 12:20 PM
Waco's football program has taken a mighty dump this past decade. Ever since their coach, Johnny Tusa, retired it has gone downhill fast. And he knew it was coming as more and more people were moving out of the city into suburbs like Hewitt. Now look at Midway's program - not a coincidence they have become very good while Waco has become very bad.
When Waco was good they had a huge following of fans. They'd come to the Dawg Pound and pack the visitor's side.
But they still have a great stadium - love WACO ISD Stadium.

corgifan
September 6th, 2014, 1:38 PM
Heights defeats Stony Point 34-33. A win is a win, and 2-0 is a nice start. Worried about poor spotty defense though.

corgifan
September 24th, 2014, 7:54 AM
I'm still reeling after Temple opened up a king sized can of Whup-Ass on the Knights. I know they're the 7th ranked team in the state, but it was the most lop-sided games I've ever seen Heights play. Looking at the schedule I'm thinking the 3-0 start is about to turn into 3-5. Well, it was fun! Band looked good, but I can't get too excited about the show. Baseball...

CenTexDave
September 24th, 2014, 8:52 AM
Temple is good. Their only loss so far was to Round Rock, who also beat Killeen and Cove. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............

JohnKilleen
September 25th, 2014, 1:52 PM
Temples only loss was a one point loss to Westlake. on one of the football forums some of Temple faithful are blaming the refs for that loss. Seen many Killen area games in the past where the refs favored Temple, especially during the Mcqueen years.

CenTexDave
September 25th, 2014, 5:05 PM
Sorry, thought it was Round Rock. That's what happens when you rely on some of these hs football websites to look up scores. :))
McQueen was a grumpy old fart. He was like Tusa from Waco - the very minute he saw what was happening in district he decided to retire.
Glad Cove kicked his butt regularly after all the butt whoopings he put on us. I'll never forget the game, think it was 2002 maybe 2003, when Cove was at Temple. Cove had a 10 point lead, ball on Temple's 30, less than a minute and the QB was just going to take a knee. McQueen decides to blitz and knocked the hell out of our QB. After a timeout, Jack Welch called a pass play - TD!!!!! Take that, you miserable SOB. After that season McQueen retired. :))

JohnKilleen
September 25th, 2014, 8:33 PM
Temple used to be quiet ruthless with Cove. It was a pleasure to see the Cove finally do some payback. Mc Queen tried to run that program even after retirement; that was part of what took Temple down I believe. Any new coach still had him looking over their shoulder.

CenTexDave
September 25th, 2014, 8:48 PM
Temple is back now and looking at their district is almost a joke. Temple should run through it and make a deep run in the playoffs.

corgifan
October 5th, 2014, 9:12 AM
Another tough loss. Heights has either faced teams far weaker or far superior this season. Wax or get waxed. This is going to be a tough stretch. Midway did something very classy. At the end of the game the entire team stood about 20 yards behind ours during the playing of Mighty Knights (the most beautiful alma mater song I've ever heard) in a show of respect.

The band's UIL show is getting tighter. They hold their own compared to the other schools. The Belles too. Really cute unies worn during the game.

CenTexDave
October 5th, 2014, 9:49 AM
"Really cute unies worn during the game." Unies or undies? :)

The tradition of standing behind the opponent while their alma mater is played originated in the Big Ten. Although that conference has sure stumbled in recent years, they initiated many good traditions.

Night Owl
October 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM
That's twice she has mentioned their undies. Must have a thing about undies.

Grammar Rules
October 5th, 2014, 1:32 PM
I think she meant uniforms. Dave's the one with a thing about undies.;)

CenTexDave
October 5th, 2014, 2:34 PM
Nah, it's what inside them that matters. :)

Rick
October 5th, 2014, 2:40 PM
Ummm, ya. These are teenagers you are talking about.

CenTexDave
October 5th, 2014, 3:32 PM
Some might be 18. :)

corgifan
October 5th, 2014, 7:09 PM
That's twice she has mentioned their undies. Must have a thing about undies.
Check the quotes, fool.

Night Owl
October 5th, 2014, 7:19 PM
Check the quotes, fool.
I did and thought it was unusual for a gay woman mentioning teenage girls undies. Still think it is odd, idiot. Be careful what you post because they may comeback and bite you.

fchafey
October 5th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I did and thought it was unusual for a gay woman mentioning teenage girls undies. Still think it is odd, idiot. Be careful what you post because they may comeback and bite you.

She said "unis" twice, meaning to me uniforms, I dont think she meant Unicorns. She isnt the idiot and you are right be careful what you post, it can comeback and bite you.

Agent X
October 9th, 2014, 4:55 PM

Wow! For someone that has bemoaned bullying, you seem all too eager to spew forth the same. Nice role model for the little one.

mac
October 9th, 2014, 6:30 PM
I think she meant uniforms. Dave's the one with a thing about undies.;)

yeow, she meant uniforms. girl band members and cheerleaders have been calling their uniforms, "unies" since........at least 1963.....in wurtzburg......mac

corgifan
October 25th, 2014, 8:31 PM
No contest last night. A good team destroying a team with mediocre talent at best. The knights try hard, but greater talent wins most of the time. I predict a win versus Killeen and a close toss up versus Belton. Not much action with the band. They were eliminated from further competition last week with a 1-2-1 judging performance. The cove band is excellent. Wonder how they did today, as well as Ellison.

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2014, 8:44 PM
Your QB is the entire offense. When it's like that all the defense has to do is concentrate on him, and that's what Cove did. Kind of surprised they shut Heights down like that.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM
No contest last night. A good team destroying a team with mediocre talent at best. The knights try hard, but greater talent wins most of the time. I predict a win versus Killeen and a close toss up versus Belton. Not much action with the band. They were eliminated from further competition last week with a 1-2-1 judging performance. The cove band is excellent. Wonder how they did today, as well as Ellison.

I haven't heard anything about the UIL band competition. Of course the illustrious KDH doesn't cover such events. :)

utgrad
October 26th, 2014, 1:05 PM
Harker Heights Band received a 1-2-2 performance at UIL last week and they did not advance to the Area level along with Killeen and Shoemaker. Ellison placed 33 out of 34 yesterday at the Area contest.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2014, 1:42 PM
Anyone know how Cove did?

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2014, 4:24 PM
OK, found it. Cove took 25th place. :))