PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Overreacting?

CenTexDave
July 22nd, 2013, 4:09 PM
Urban Meyer came under a lot of scrutiny after Aaron Hernandez was arrested for not cracking down on him when he played at Florida.
IMHO that wasn't really fair - you can't babysit these kids and Hernandez never was arrested for anything when there, but all they signs were present.
Now Meyer is overreacting I think. Starting RB Carlos Hyde, their leading scorer last season and a pre-season Doak Walker listee, has been tossed for alleged assault on a woman in a bar. All-American cornerback Roby is also under the gun for an incident last Sunday. This is in edition to two incoming freshmen he has already tossed.
Looks like Bama may win another one with little competition.

Rick
July 22nd, 2013, 7:13 PM
If he did it, then good for Meyer. Get these thugs out of the spotlight. They have everything in front of them, they should learn to appreciate it.

It's all pending the outcome of the investigation. According to ESPN http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9499059/ohio-state-buckeyes-suspend-rb-carlos-hyde

A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that there is surveillance video of the incident that's contrary to what is being reported.

CenTexDave
July 22nd, 2013, 8:47 PM
Where's there is smoke there is usually fire.
Hyde won't be missed that much. The Bucks are 5 deep at tailback.
But losing Roby will hurt bad.

onetime
July 22nd, 2013, 9:45 PM
Where's there is smoke there is usually fire.
Hyde won't be missed that much. The Bucks are 5 deep at tailback.
But losing Roby will hurt bad.

Coaches get rid of players in college for a couple of reasons, but the main reason they can afford to get rid of guys 99% is that they have a viable backup. In this instance he was getting a lot of heat about the Hernandez thing and some of the slap on the wrist disciplinary actions he had in place. I do not agree with Rick though, correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of the teams that have won the National Championship have had sirens, warrants, and cheeba smoke surrounding the athletic dorms.

Rick
July 23rd, 2013, 5:09 AM
Coaches get rid of players in college for a couple of reasons, but the main reason they can afford to get rid of guys 99% is that they have a viable backup. In this instance he was getting a lot of heat about the Hernandez thing and some of the slap on the wrist disciplinary actions he had in place.
If he is getting heat for Hernandez being a murderer, then once again, we are placing blame where blame doesn't lie. Hernandez is responsible for Hernandez, but that's a foreign concept to many these days.

I do not agree with Rick though, correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of the teams that have won the National Championship have had sirens, warrants, and cheeba smoke surrounding the athletic dorms.
If true, then you just made my point. So what's there to disagree with?

What's cheeba?

CenTexDave
July 23rd, 2013, 7:48 AM
Thank you. He, as all coaches, are hired to win football games, not baby-sit these 20 year olds.
It's called personal responsibility. More coaches need to clamp down and start tossing these players off their teams.

onetime
July 23rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
If he is getting heat for Hernandez being a murderer, then once again, we are placing blame where blame doesn't lie. Hernandez is responsible for Hernandez, but that's a foreign concept to many these days.

I am sure he is feeling the pressure from outside forces which is leading him to make a knee jerk reaction, keep in mind that we don not know the ins and outs of the incident either. At any other point in Meyer's career, the player would have received a slap on the wrist.

If true, then you just made my point. So what's there to disagree with?

I was saying that I do not agree with your point on getting rid of the guy. I personally do not believe it is right to discard a player based off low level criminal activity. Punish him for the season, suspend him for some games, etc, but kicking him off the team is a little excessive based on Meyer's history and sports in general. I think by doing this they have the opportunity to turn a kids life around for the better, most of the time these coaches have an idea who and what they are climbing into bed with, as far as, the kids character.

What's cheeba? POT

Rick
July 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I am sure he is feeling the pressure from outside forces which is leading him to make a knee jerk reaction, keep in mind that we don not know the ins and outs of the incident either. At any other point in Meyer's career, the player would have received a slap on the wrist.
If we don't know the ins and outs, how can you say that Meyer's reaction was a "knee jerk" one?

I was saying that I do not agree with your point on getting rid of the guy. I personally do not believe it is right to discard a player based off low level criminal activity. Punish him for the season, suspend him for some games, etc, but kicking him off the team is a little excessive based on Meyer's history and sports in general. I think by doing this they have the opportunity to turn a kids life around for the better, most of the time these coaches have an idea who and what they are climbing into bed with, as far as, the kids character.
Meyer's career and Meyer's history has nothing to do with it. Meyer is in his second year at Ohio State. He did not recruit Hyde who is a senior. It's not his job to run a rehab program and turn this ADULT's life around. The freshman who was busted for under age drinking, sure, give him a slap on the wrist. But IF Hyde did what he is accused of, slapping a girl around because she wouldn't dance with him, then no, he doesn't deserve the second chance. He deserves jail. Note, I said, if.

Ohio State just came off of a very costly probation. Other schools, like the apparently, very lenient one that you attended need to get the message about this kind of behavior.

POT

In some career fields, such as the military, the use of such a product will end a career.

Ludwig
July 23rd, 2013, 2:56 PM
Let's face it, the NFL is nothing more than a legalized dog fight. We take big thugs, give them a couple of million, and then watch them go after each other. Have you noticed... the NFL players are predominantly black while the owners and fat cats who manage them are predominantly white? It nothing but blood sport, not unlike the gladiatorial contests of Rome.

CenTexDave
July 23rd, 2013, 6:55 PM
And that, Ludwig, is why I will always like college football more than the NFL.

Rick
July 23rd, 2013, 8:34 PM
Hyde could be in the clear. My son said that sources say that the video shows that the girl slapped him, but he never hit her. I hope it's true.

CenTexDave
July 23rd, 2013, 8:35 PM
Looks like he is innocent: http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/23/video-ohio-state-carlos-hyde-didnt-strike-alleged-victim/?xid=si_ncaa (http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/23/video-ohio-state-carlos-hyde-didnt-strike-alleged-victim/?xid=si_ncaaf)

Yep, Urban Meyer over reacted.

Rick
July 23rd, 2013, 9:30 PM
Better to over react than to not act and put the program on sanctions again. He was in a no win situation. If he did nothing, the NCAA would claim he was attempting to cover it up. At this point, every player on the team knows that no one person is above the rules.

onetime
July 23rd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Ludwig dropping some knowledge on us all, football at all levels above high school is amount to human cock fighting. Black guys are prevalent in football and basketball, but their numbers drop off significantly in other team sports, but I guess your bringing that up to shed light on the discrepancy between black players and coaches? Either way it would be hard for someone, anyone to turn down a minimum of 250K for simply being on the practice squad for one year and most last for about two to three years.

CenTexDave
July 30th, 2013, 6:17 PM
The Columbus, Ohio PD dropped all pending charges against Carlos Hyde. Video showed he never hit the girl, and she did not want to cooperate with police.
Now will be interesting to see if Urban Meyer welcomes him back.

CenTexDave
July 31st, 2013, 11:51 AM
He welcomed him back but gave him a 3 game suspension. Still think that is kind of harsh for not doing anything other than being there.
Urban Meyer says they are taught to "just walk away". He's using him as an example. Won't hurt the team much, as their first three games are against inferior opponents, but could hurt Hyde rushing for more than 1,000 yards.