PDA

View Full Version : Manziel Leaves Manning QB Camp

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Seems Johnny Football is turning into a super flake.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130715/johnny-manziel-aaron-hernandez-monday-morning-quarterback/?xid=si_ncaaf
Claims he was ill, but ESPN reported he was out partying at night into the wee hours of the morning.

Grammar Rules
July 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
One of the news shows said he had overslept and missed a couple of meetings. This is sad. Like a shooting star, he flew high and bright and now shows signs of flaming out.

bbh
July 15th, 2013, 1:31 PM
Couldn't we all see this coming? All that talent.......shame if it's wasted.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2013, 1:53 PM
That article is fairly nice. Other Sports Illustrated sports reporters are really slamming him for a variety of things.
The kid needs to grow up. I understand how all that instant fame could affect a 20 year old, but he needs to shut up, get off Twitter and worry about the upcoming season.

bbh
July 15th, 2013, 9:57 PM
I have heard stories for quite some time that, if true, make his current behavior not seem out of character. I also heard that he is only taking internet courses, which would be suspect. I have no idea if any of that is true.

I hope he straightens up. He has incredible talent.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2013, 8:57 AM
He was in trouble in high school also.
His case in College Station finally went to trial. He was found guilty, sentenced to time served. lol

olderthandirt
July 16th, 2013, 11:10 AM
He was in trouble in high school also.
His case in College Station finally went to trial. He was found guilty, sentenced to time served. lol
He plead guilty (not quite the same), got 2 days, and court fees. He's already served his time. Not excusing his poor behavior, but it's not much different than a majority of stupid college moves. His every move is scrutinized nationally. I'm sure glad my stupid college indiscretions weren't publicized like this poor kid's are, and I'm guessing similar to almost everybody else on this forum if you're honest with yourself. Poor judgement? Definitely. Will he make more stupid moves? Probably. Yes, he needs to stay off publicizing his every move and feelings, but he also needs to be cut a little slack. At least he admits his mistakes head-on, not continuing to fabricate a lie like Manti (and yes, I went there)!

onetime
July 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I have heard stories for quite some time that, if true, make his current behavior not seem out of character. I also heard that he is only taking internet courses, which would be suspect.

He comes from a very affluent family in Kerrville, which is about 30-45 minutes outside of San Antonio and if you have ever had the opportunity to play big time college football as I have then you would know that it is nearly impossible for any starter to attend classes like a regular student and that is just for local big time guys, I could only imagine how many people he would have to deal with on a daily basis if he attended classes.

As far as the other stuff, boys will be boys, college students get into fights a lot and have fake IDs a lot too. The Manning camp would not even be news about say 6 weeks ago, well maybe the back page. It only has legs because it is a dead time for sports news. As Peyton said counselors get sent home often enough.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2013, 12:19 PM
He plead guilty (not quite the same), got 2 days, and court fees. He's already served his time. Not excusing his poor behavior, but it's not much different than a majority of stupid college moves. His every move is scrutinized nationally. I'm sure glad my stupid college indiscretions weren't publicized like this poor kid's are, and I'm guessing similar to almost everybody else on this forum if you're honest with yourself. Poor judgement? Definitely. Will he make more stupid moves? Probably. Yes, he needs to stay off publicizing his every move and feelings, but he also needs to be cut a little slack. At least he admits his mistakes head-on, not continuing to fabricate a lie like Manti (and yes, I went there)!

He's 20 years old. Tebow's age probably when he won the Heisman. Griffin was 20 or 21 when he won it.
Dozens of Heisman, Maxwell, etc award winners who have not done the stupid crap this kid has done. He needs to grow up, shut his dumb mouth and realize what he has. We don't need pics of him on Twitter winning handfuls of cash in Vegas.
Now his father is blowing off his mouth about his poor little boy. Sounds to me as if the entire family is a little mentally deficient.

bbh
July 16th, 2013, 2:57 PM
I agree that he is still a kid, and a lot of kids make dumb mistakes. I don't think he should have to carry this stuff around with him his whole life. I would not try to take anything that he has accomplished away from him. I just hope that he stops his antics now and makes some big changes in his life.

I do not agree that he should not be expected to go to any classes. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Being blessed with God-given talent, opportunities, an incredible support system, and huge success all bring extra responsibilities. I hope that he realizes that and gets his act together. How many millions of young men and boys look up to him as an example? He's a lucky, lucky young man.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2013, 3:39 PM
He better go to classes or a few schools will be alerting the NCAA.:)

xzochye
July 16th, 2013, 3:58 PM
He better go to classes or a few schools will be alerting the NCAA.:)

He is taking classes online so that still qualifies. He was attending classes last year but him being there was a distraction because others were making a huge fuss over him.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1929057

onetime
July 16th, 2013, 4:11 PM
I agree that he is still a kid, and a lot of kids make dumb mistakes. I don't think he should have to carry this stuff around with him his whole life. I would not try to take anything that he has accomplished away from him. I just hope that he stops his antics now and makes some big changes in his life.

I do not agree that he should not be expected to go to any classes. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Being blessed with God-given talent, opportunities, an incredible support system, and huge success all bring extra responsibilities. I hope that he realizes that and gets his act together. How many millions of young men and boys look up to him as an example? He's a lucky, lucky young man.

As much as we would like him to be, he is not a role model. The online courses are common offered for the majority of your basics and mid level courses they require you to complete 5 times the amount of busy work though. I am sure that he has someone doing his work to, but that is not uncommon either.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2013, 6:52 PM
Ive been reading for years about college players (football mostly) who are running afoul of the law.
I hope he gets it together and does not join this list.

corgifan
July 16th, 2013, 9:33 PM
I see him continuing to be a decent college QB, but from now on defensive coordinators are going to be better prepared to come up with a game plan to counter his talents.

As far as the pros, I don't see a future for him. Too small. He'd be smashed in short order.

onetime
July 16th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I see him continuing to be a decent college QB, but from now on defensive coordinators are going to be better prepared to come up with a game plan to counter his talents.

As far as the pros, I don't see a future for him. Too small. He'd be smashed in short order.

Drew brees, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, RG3, Michael Vick, Tony Romo, and one or two more guys I am forgetting are all 6'2" and shorter. He is 6'1", making him taller then a few of the guys I mentioned, if he has an arm and can read coverages someone will take a shot if he can ride this hype out and continue winning.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Griffin is 6'2-1/2. :)

corgifan
July 17th, 2013, 12:19 AM
One glance at Mr. Football shows me a much slighter frame than any late model QB I've seen lately. Griffin is an inch and a half taller, 20 pounds heavier, and is considerably more muscular, and I worry that someone is going to break him in half!

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Manziel can put on some weight when he gets serious about training. Now he's just doing it all on his athletic ability.
Griffin became very dangerous when he started packing on the weight. Remember, he was running track also so didn't want to gain a bunch of weight. When he injured his knee his soph season and decided to give up track and hit the weight room is when the results started coming.

onetime
July 17th, 2013, 3:38 PM
One glance at Mr. Football shows me a much slighter frame than any late model QB I've seen lately. Griffin is an inch and a half taller, 20 pounds heavier, and is considerably more muscular, and I worry that someone is going to break him in half!

Griffin is four years older as well and prepped for the NFL. Most guys put on muscle in preparation for the combine.

beaver
July 17th, 2013, 5:12 PM

That's a big part of his problem now!

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Doug Flutie was small - about 5'9". Brees is small. There are a number of short QB's in the NFL. But they are pretty much drop back passers.
This kid likes to move around. That may, or may not, benefit him. I've watched him play on TV a lot - he ain't no RG3 for sure.
We'll see how he does this year now that those SEC teams know what to expect.
These "mobile" QB's like RG3, Newton, Wilson and Kaepernack are the hot item now. But defenses will start to figure them out. Then it will come down to really how well they can pass, not read option.

sfotw
July 18th, 2013, 7:13 AM
You can't expect all 20 year old men to make good decisions when they are being treated like royalty. If he makes it into the NFL he is going to find himself in a world much different than he is used to. Maybe he should open a steak restaurant as a back up plan.

CenTexDave
July 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM
He'll get drafted, no doubt. Nice signing bonus, guaranteed money, although not nearly as much as it used to be since the owners and NFLPA reached an agreement on paying these rookies obscene amounts.
You're absolutely correct - invest it wisely. He'll still have plenty to squander on that new Vette or townhouse. :)

CenTexDave
July 18th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Griffin just turned 23 this past Feb. Didn't realize Manziel is 19 years old. :)

CenTexDave
July 28th, 2013, 5:59 PM
He is still underage.
Just tossed out of a UT frat party: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9515908/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-kicked-university-texas-fraternity-party-report-says
I guess he thinks all those at UT are his buddies. lol
This kid is a loose wire. A legend in his own mind.

bbh
July 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I hope he gets his act together, but it's not looking good. He doesn't even seem to understand what bad behavior is.