PDA

View Full Version : Paralumbar fat pads

pushup
June 24th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Before I took my dogs to the vet for their annual shots, I noticed Molly had two huge bumps on near her hips on both sides of her spine. My first thought was a tumor. They didn't bother her when I touched them, her behavior didn't change, and she showed no pain at all. They felt like a muscle. I asked the vet about it, fearing the worst. He said that it was called paralumbar fat pads. While does look scary, he said there is nothing wrong and it does happen to older dogs. I asked again if it was a tumor and he said that it was highly unlikely that symmetrical tumors would form. Plus, her behavior, eating and bathroom habits were normal, so he wasn't worried. All Molly needs is to go on a diet and for me to walk her more.

I looked it up online and he was completely right. It was just so scary.

I just wanted to let everyone know about it so if someone notices it on their dog, they won't be as freaked out as I was.

siamcat
June 24th, 2013, 7:43 PM
Before I took my dogs to the vet for their annual shots, I noticed Molly had two huge bumps on near her hips on both sides of her spine. My first thought was a tumor. They didn't bother her when I touched them, her behavior didn't change, and she showed no pain at all. They felt like a muscle. I asked the vet about it, fearing the worst. He said that it was called paralumbar fat pads. While does look scary, he said there is nothing wrong and it does happen to older dogs. I asked again if it was a tumor and he said that it was highly unlikely that symmetrical tumors would form. Plus, her behavior, eating and bathroom habits were normal, so he wasn't worried. All Molly needs is to go on a diet and for me to walk her more.

I looked it up online and he was completely right. It was just so scary.

I just wanted to let everyone know about it so if someone notices it on their dog, they won't be as freaked out as I was.

I know the feeling. My dog has now two lumps, one on his back and one on his hind leg. They look like a tumor, feel like jello underneath the skin, but did not bother him one bit.
I wasn't to worried since when I pressed all over it he wouldn't even flinch or lick my hand to get it away the way he does when something hurts him. The vet told me it was a fat deposit or a fatty thing(forgot the term he used). It's harmless and unless it grows out of control or causes pain it's best to leave it alone.

xzochye
June 24th, 2013, 7:56 PM
I know the feeling. My dog has now two lumps, one on his back and one on his hind leg. They look like a tumor, feel like jello underneath the skin, but did not bother him one bit.
I wasn't to worried since when I pressed all over it he wouldn't even flinch or lick my hand to get it away the way he does when something hurts him. The vet told me it was a fat deposit or a fatty thing(forgot the term he used). It's harmless and unless it grows out of control or causes pain it's best to leave it alone.

My dog has 2 fatty tumors. 1 is the size of a gold ball the other is the size of a pea.