PDA

View Full Version : Scag Freedom Z Zero Turn Mower

Rick
June 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM
http://www.centextalk.com/pics/FreedomZ-450.jpg

http://www.scag.com/freedomz/freedomz.html

Our old John Deere 42" lawn tractor was on its last leg, so in March, we decided to get one of these. Since I couldn't use my left arm, my wife made the first couple of cuts with it, but once I could use my arm again, I took over.

I figure that we cut a little more than three acres of lawn (which is why we decided to go with a commercial grade mower) and what used to take us about three hours to cut with the old mower, I cut in about an hour and ten minutes. The only bad thing is the blowout of grass and dirt is nasty, especially if the wind is blowing.

I think I might get a mulching kit and that should help a lot. But the one I saw for it was over $300. Since we are breaking ground on another barn next week, I will probably wait a couple months before I buy the mulching kit.

It should be the last mower I ever buy.

Night Owl
June 21st, 2013, 11:23 PM
Nice mower. Can I borrow it?:)

CenTexDave
June 22nd, 2013, 1:43 PM
Can I borrow it and the driver??:)

Rick
June 22nd, 2013, 1:46 PM
I heard that neither of you like to return #### you borrow.

kantwin
June 22nd, 2013, 1:55 PM
Dave, give the coffee cup back. Shake hands and make nice. :)

Ludwig
June 22nd, 2013, 2:00 PM
Darn! I wish I had a lawn big enough to justify that ride. My 22 inch Toro gets it done in less than an hour but it's not nearly as much fun.

sojourner truth
June 22nd, 2013, 3:14 PM
Having purchased a number of Z turn mowers for the city, there are only 2 I consider worth the money. Scag is one of them. Grasshopper is another.

Scag is a very beefy mower. Plenty of rugged steel in all the right places. The places that wear out fast on cheaper machines. Grasshoppers are almost as tough and reliable, and the only advantage is repair parts availability. Deere mowers may look good, but are designed poorly for edge work and toughness.

Good purchase Rick...

Night Owl
June 22nd, 2013, 4:40 PM
You mean I have to return it? Dang I didn't know that was part of the deal. Dang Dave taught me different.:))