PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Football

cnjbond
June 16th, 2013, 4:51 PM
This kids is making it real tough to pull for him, I wish he would tone it down a bit before he gets himself into serious trouble. I think he will definitely be the LAST Freshman to win the Heisman, his lack of maturity is tarnishing his accomplishments.

johnny-manziel-tweets-he-cant-wait-to-leave-college-station (http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2013/06/johnny-manziel-tweets-he-cant-wait-to-leave-college-station/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

olderthandirt
June 16th, 2013, 6:37 PM
Not meaning to defend his poor post, but the kid definitely can't go anywhere in public without getting stopped. I don't blame him for getting tired of all the attention

Grammar Rules
June 16th, 2013, 8:24 PM
I read that he deleted it pretty quickly, but by then it was out there. Too bad. Remember the days when we were told to write down our problems and "mail" them in the drawer for a few days?

cnjbond
June 16th, 2013, 9:08 PM
Not meaning to defend his poor post, but the kid definitely can't go anywhere in public without getting stopped. I don't blame him for getting tired of all the attention

College Station made Johnny Football...A&M has done a lot to help Manziel deal with all the hoopla that comes along with winning the Heisman. I understand he's still young and wants to have fun but come on kid, use your head a little.

JoAnn Purser
June 17th, 2013, 8:43 AM
Probably just a bad night out on the town.

I doubt it has anything to do with football program.

sojourner truth
June 17th, 2013, 8:57 AM
When it comes time to sign a pro contract, he may not mind all the hype....Unless one of the pro teams wanting to sign him has doubts about a starting quarterback with a big mouth.

What's wrong with people today, where they vent and tell everything on their minds on line. I call it ADD. Attention deficit disorder. They want more attention to the point it is neurotic.

cnjbond
June 17th, 2013, 9:04 AM
Probably just a bad night out on the town.

I doubt it has anything to do with football program.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the football program but you don't alienate your fans by making statements like that. Do you know how many folks in College Station are walking around wearing jerseys with #2 on the back? If he can't handle the pressure now, he certainly won't be able to handle the pressures that come with being a QB in the NFL!

onetime
June 17th, 2013, 12:54 PM
It is difficult playing college sports, it is even more difficult playing college football, it is even more difficult playing college football at a big name university, it is even more difficult playing the position of quarterback, it is even more difficult after you have won the heisman trophy your freshman year. With all of that said the young man is all of 20 years old. Can you imagine all of the irresponsible decisions that you made when you were 20? I have strong doubts about the NFL, but for now I would tell him to enjoy the moment and people that tell him otherwise are likely jealous. If he is working with his teammates on improving their overall record this year then more power to him. If not then you have an argument.

cnjbond
June 17th, 2013, 2:21 PM
It is difficult playing college sports, it is even more difficult playing college football, it is even more difficult playing college football at a big name university, it is even more difficult playing the position of quarterback, it is even more difficult after you have won the heisman trophy your freshman year. With all of that said the young man is all of 20 years old. Can you imagine all of the irresponsible decisions that you made when you were 20? I have strong doubts about the NFL, but for now I would tell him to enjoy the moment and people that tell him otherwise are likely jealous. If he is working with his teammates on improving their overall record this year then more power to him. If not then you have an argument.

I don't think anyone said anything about him NOT enjoying the moment...just be smarter about enjoying it. I've heard Johnny do several interviews and the kids is smart and has a good head on his shoulders, but he needs to count to 10 before posting his rants for the world to see...kind of like some of us on this forum! ;)

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2013, 2:35 PM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the football program but you don't alienate your fans by making statements like that. Do you know how many folks in College Station are walking around wearing jerseys with #2 on the back? If he can't handle the pressure now, he certainly won't be able to handle the pressures that come with being a QB in the NFL!

He won't be a QB in the NFL. Say what you want, but he ain't no RGIII or Russell Wilson.

onetime
June 17th, 2013, 2:42 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about him NOT enjoying the moment...just be smarter about enjoying it. I've heard Johnny do several interviews and the kids is smart and has a good head on his shoulders, but he needs to count to 10 before posting his rants for the world to see...kind of like some of us on this forum! ;)

Agreed, but that is all part of the process of becoming a man. Can you imagine if you had that tool at your fingertips at that age? That guy has likely got more pressure on him then the average joe.

corgifan
June 17th, 2013, 3:55 PM
He won't be a QB in the NFL. Say what you want, but he ain't no RGIII or Russell Wilson.
For a change, I agree. Completely.

cnjbond
June 17th, 2013, 5:21 PM

I know, he's better!! ;)

For a change, I agree. Completely.

Boy did YOU pick the wrong time to agree with Dave! He'll definitely be a QB in the NFL, how successful is another story...

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2013, 5:42 PM
He won't be much of one if he even makes a team. His passing is a joke. We'll see how good he is this year.

siamcat
June 17th, 2013, 5:52 PM
He's a kid. Kids do and say stupid things. Just because he's a quarterback doesn't mean he's exempt from the "stupid kid gene". If that is the worst "scandal" in this kids closet, he doesn't even come close to some things out there. I don't understand the big deal.

cnjbond
June 17th, 2013, 6:24 PM
He won't be much of one if he even makes a team. His passing is a joke. We'll see how good he is this year.
You must've been watching a different Johnny Manziel than everyone else saw...I bet Alabama's secondary would disagree with you! :)

cnjbond
June 17th, 2013, 6:42 PM
He's a kid. Kids do and say stupid things. Just because he's a quarterback doesn't mean he's exempt from the "stupid kid gene". If that is the worst "scandal" in this kids closet, he doesn't even come close to some things out there. I don't understand the big deal.

Well he's not just a quarterback, he's the reigning Heisman Trophy winning quarterback so the spotlight on him is RIDICULOUS!! It wouldn't be a big deal if it was just a generic rant, but when you go out of your way to take the time to mention the city that has been behind you through your journey and state you can't wait to leave it because of the Bull**** then that's different.

The kid is already getting special treatment by not having to attend classes like the other 50K plus students because it's too hard with all the hoopla surrounding him...what else does he want? To be left alone? To be normal guy? Sorry, that ship sailed when he put on the pads for A&M and had a breakout season. Like I said before, I just hope he settles down before he does any more damage because I like Johnny Football and am excited to see what he does this year and in the NFL!

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2013, 7:05 PM
Yeah, he beat Bama.
Any bets on this year's game??? :)

KilleenTexas
June 17th, 2013, 7:15 PM

I guess you missed this years Maroon & White spring game. His mechanics have vastly improved over the offseason. You also need to remember he didn't begin to fall into any sort of rhythm with Kevin Sumlin's high-octane Air Raid offense until after the LSU game. Take a look at his passer rating and overall QB rating during the second half of the season and also during his performance against the Co-Big 12-2-2+2 champs at the Cotton Bowl. In that game o.u. was so backwards they didn't know up from down and they are even used to seeing high-speed offenses perform during conference play.

Look up the videos of JFF this spring with QB Kingmaker George Whitfield Jr. out in California. During blindfold drills, Johnny posted a remarkable 27/29 with the only cues from the WR being a clap for audio. Better yet, I'll link you an article.

Johnny Manziel Blindfolded Practice (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1664309-johnny-manziel-proves-hes-better-than-us-again-with-his-blindfolded-training)

A&M was a combined 8 points from playing in both the SEC Championship Game and the BCS Title Game. Both of the losses last season (Florida by 3 and LSU by 5) can easily be attributed to poor play by our Kicker Taylor Bertolet. If I am wrong, I will eat crow. But I don't think you have much to worry about JFF's ability to play football.

His attitude on the other hand...

He is a rich 20 year old college student who flaunts his good times on Instagram, has random people obsessed with him, and his immaturity in handling it gets the better of him at times. Like others have said, it doesn't excuse his behavior but there are people on A&M campus who are creepily obsessed with the kid. He does a lot of the negative attention to himself in how he handles the fame.

KilleenTexas
June 17th, 2013, 7:18 PM
By the way Dave, no bad feelings toward your post... Just some friendly college football banter to hold us all over until the fall comes around! Gotta stir up the pot a little, you know? Haha!

:)

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2013, 9:20 PM
Braxton Miller will win this year's Heisman.

cnjbond
June 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Braxton Miller will win this year's Heisman.

Braxton Hicks who...what?!!! :)

CenTexDave
June 18th, 2013, 6:35 AM
Don't get me wrong. I am an A&M fan and hope they win the SEC. I just think Bama will have another strong team and will win it again.

cnjbond
September 1st, 2013, 9:46 AM
I just reread this thread and wonder if some of the folks on here still feel the same way about Manziel? I still hold out hope that he'll get himself together but I'm starting to think he is becoming a cancer for this team and I hope it doesn't spread to the university. 4 other players have been suspended for 2 games because of team violations. I don't know if it had anything to do with Manziel BUT that would be the obvious place to start. I just hope A&M doesn't sell it's soul for a new stadium. If you read between the lines of Coach Sumlin's post game interview, you can see that he's tired of the crap but I think his hands are being tied somewhat, even though I applaud him for benching Johnny for his taunting penalty. They better start grooming that replacement QB before they end up like t.u. with nothing in the kitchen after Colt McCoy left.

CenTexDave
September 1st, 2013, 9:52 AM
That backup QB, Luke Joekel (sp?) played pretty darned good.
I agree - Manziel is gonna screw this team up. Makes you wonder if they shouldn't have run off Shoemaker's Jamiel Showers.

The321
September 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
When Mr. So called football makes it too the big league's I'm sure a few big players will put him right in his place really quick. He is too cocky for his own good. Making money gesters and all his other child like moves.....

cnjbond
September 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
That backup QB, Luke Joekel (sp?) played pretty darned good.
I agree - Manziel is gonna screw this team up. Makes you wonder if they shouldn't have run off Shoemaker's Jamiel Showers.

El Paso Times did an interview with Showers (who transferred to UTEP, my Alma Mater) and asked if he wished he would've stayed at A&M after the initial Manziel issues came to light. He stated that he's happy with his decision to transfer...I don't know if I believe that or not but that was probably a good answer to show he's a team player!

CenTexDave
September 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
And I hope he does well at UTEP.
Nothing against A&M, but I hope Manziel comes down to Earth real quick. A couple of INTs next week and getting knocked out of the game after a run might knock some sense into him.

cnjbond
September 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM
And I hope he does well at UTEP.
Nothing against A&M, but I hope Manziel comes down to Earth real quick. A couple of INTs next week and getting knocked out of the game after a run might knock some sense into him.
Sadly it'll probably take more than that to bring him down to earth...he just beat the big, bad NCAA with a slap on the wrist, he's invincible! There's not a single humble bone in that kids body, if there was, there's no way in the WORLD he would've done any of the stuff he did during yesterday's game.

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Although I didn't get to see the game here in Kuwait, I also don't see 50 headlines about Manziel doing something stupid, so I'll take that as a positive! Let's just hope he can maintain that next week against Bama.

olderthandirt
September 8th, 2013, 1:43 AM
To steal a phrase from my dad, "He done good!" Our Aggies played well all four quarters, showing depth and maturity - getting ready to btho alabama next week.

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 6:14 AM
To steal a phrase from my dad, "He done good!" Our Aggies played well all four quarters, showing depth and maturity - getting ready to btho alabama next week.

They'll also get a couple of starters back on defense as well. I think they have a good chance to win if they can get a couple of stops on defense.

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2013, 9:23 AM
Gave up 28 points to Sam Houston State, a subdivision team, did not impress me at all. I don't care if they had a couple of defensive starters out or not.
But Manziel played well. Another Heisman? Maybe, although some of his competition has already thoroughly impressed the voters I'm sure. Bridgewater, Lousville QB, has looked great. Braxton Miller, Ohio State QB, got hurt on the first series yesterday. Might be out for a while so he doesn't look like the threat he was. But Ohio State didn't miss a beat - out goes Miller and in comes the backup QB Kenny Guiton, who played at a Houston high school, and on the first play throws a TD pass. :)):))
Go Buckeyes!!!!!!! :)

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 1:10 PM
Gave up 28 points to Sam Houston State, a subdivision team, did not impress me at all. I don't care if they had a couple of defensive starters out or not.
But Manziel played well. Another Heisman? Maybe, although some of his competition has already thoroughly impressed the voters I'm sure. Bridgewater, Lousville QB, has looked great. Braxton Miller, Ohio State QB, got hurt on the first series yesterday. Might be out for a while so he doesn't look like the threat he was. But Ohio State didn't miss a beat - out goes Miller and in comes the backup QB Kenny Guiton, who played at a Houston high school, and on the first play throws a TD pass. :)):))
Go Buckeyes!!!!!!! :)
Manziel could break every QB record in the NCAA, lead A&M to an undefeated season and he STILL wouldn't win the Heisman because of his off the field behavior.

Sam Houston State is no joke, they were ranked pretty high in their division. But the Aggies defense has me a little worried for next week. You can't make mistakes against Bama and hope to win. Last year they played a near flawless game and capitalized on most of the mistakes that Bama made.

xzochye
September 8th, 2013, 1:29 PM
Manziel could break every QB record in the NCAA, lead A&M to an undefeated season and he STILL wouldn't win the Heisman because of his off the field behavior.

Sam Houston State is no joke, they were ranked pretty high in their division. But the Aggies defense has me a little worried for next week. You can't make mistakes against Bama and hope to win. Last year they played a near flawless game and capitalized on most of the mistakes that Bama made.

Not to mention that Bama is going to be ready for them this year. Last year A&M took them completely by surprise. I hope it is a great game!

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2013, 2:27 PM
Bama was not all that impressive against Virginia Tech. Oh, you say - Virginia Tech? Well that's a good team. No they aren't They aren't the VA Tech of old. Bama's o-line couldn't dominate the line of scrimmage and The Tide didn't even get 100 yards rushing. It was their defense and special teams that won the game for them.
Although they have had a week off and extra time to prepare for Manziel, I think A&M may do it again to them. At least I hope so.

kantwin
September 8th, 2013, 2:54 PM
Bama was not all that impressive against Virginia Tech. Oh, you say - Virginia Tech? Well that's a good team. No they aren't They aren't the VA Tech of old. Bama's o-line couldn't dominate the line of scrimmage and The Tide didn't even get 100 yards rushing. It was their defense and special teams that won the game for them.
Although they have had a week off and extra time to prepare for Manziel, I think A&M may do it again to them. At least I hope so.

There is some speculation that the did that intentionally to lull A&M into a false sense of security.
Not saying I buy that, given Saban's drive for success, but then again...

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2013, 6:00 PM
We shall we next Saturday at 3:30PM. Should be a helluva game.
GO BUCKEYES!!

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 6:40 PM
BTHO Bama...WHOOP!!!

Rick
September 15th, 2013, 6:36 PM
Manziel is not doubt, a trainwreck off the field, but damn, he sure is exciting to watch on the field.

kantwin
September 15th, 2013, 7:23 PM
Manziel is not doubt, a trainwreck off the field, but damn, he sure is exciting to watch on the field.

What they called an amazing play was, in reality, a stupid, stupid, throw. He got lucky, and that made it great? The scramble was good, the throw was stupid.

Ludwig
September 15th, 2013, 7:31 PM
What they called an amazing play was, in reality, a stupid, stupid, throw. He got lucky... The scramble was good, the throw was stupid.

Amen. The player that was great on that play was not Manziel but the guy who made that catch.

kantwin
September 15th, 2013, 7:39 PM
Amen. The player that was great on that play was not Manziel but the guy who made that catch.

And not a single replay that I saw on many stations even mentioned his name.

Rick
September 15th, 2013, 8:21 PM
I did not say he is a great player. I said was that he was exciting to watch. No single play in particular was the reason for this comment.

It does seem that that play struck a nerve with the Alabama bandwagon bunch.

And no, I am not an A&M fan.

Ludwig
September 15th, 2013, 8:22 PM
That's the problem with the media. They become enamored with the super-stars and no other people matter. It's the same in the entertainment business, how many of us know the names of even one member of the band that has supported any of the "greats", even when it's the music that's really greater than the song. That's a real shame.

kantwin
September 15th, 2013, 8:40 PM
It does seem that that play struck a nerve with the Alabama bandwagon bunch.
I'm not an Alabama bandwagon bunch. I've been a Bama fan for a long, long time.
It's funny. A&M lost, but the media is still all about their quarterback. Very little about the fact that they lost.

Ludwig
September 15th, 2013, 8:47 PM
It's funny. A&M lost, but the media is still all about their quarterback. Very little about the fact that they lost.

Pretty much to be expected. The press, even the sports press, is, pardon the expression, Liberal. For those freaks it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. :bluerofl

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2013, 8:58 PM
Well, guess who won the Walter Camp Player of the Week for this weekend's games?
Nope, wasn't Johnny Football.
A kid named Kenny Guiton, the backup QB for Ohio State. Has played under Braxton Miller's shadow for 3 years. Miller was hurt last week, he came in and threw for a ton and ran for a bundle. Yesterday, 4 TD passes and over 90 yards rushing and 1TD.
And the kid is from Houston. I wonder if there is anyone in Austin kicking themselves! :))

cnjbond
September 15th, 2013, 11:14 PM
That's because no one is supposed to do what he did (along with his receivers) against the mighty Crimson Tide, especially when Saban has almost a year and a bi-week to get his team prepared. You're right, a loss is a loss but this one is a little easier to swallow when you gave the number 1 team in the nation all they could handle.

I think this A&M and Bama matchup is going to turn into a pretty good rivalry in the SEC!