PDA

View Full Version : Going into Heat

cuatro
May 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I have a 1 1/2 year old female lab who has not gone into heat yet. What time do they usually go into heat and is there a test or something I need to have done to see if she has something wrong? Thanks! Cuatro :thumbsup

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 14th, 2009, 1:40 PM
A female dog will typically begin to cycle at 6 to 8 months of age and will cycle every 6 months thereafter. There is some individual variation and some females cycle only once per year and others more frequently. Sometimes young females will have a cycle that is difficult to recognize by us (they don't swell or bleed very much) though this is typically only for their first cycle and subsequent ones will be more as expected.

Hormonal assays can be performed to see just what is happening reproductively and to help determine if there is a problem. However, if the female is not going to be used for breeding then she should be spayed ASAP.

Thank you for the question Cuatro!

cuatro
May 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Well...I guess you need to schedule us for some surgery! I was wondering about that and it looks like she just isn't made for babies! LOL! Babies probably wouldn't work around here anyway...not enough time for sure! Thanks so much Brad...:thumbsup

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 15th, 2009, 8:58 AM
Cuatro,

I think 10-12 pups running around your house would be more than you and Cinco could stand.

Thanks for the question.