PDA

View Full Version : Pat Summerall

IronErnin
April 16th, 2013, 7:23 PM
The voice of legendary sportscaster Pat Summerall has been stilled at age 82. He was recovering from hip surgery at home. The man had been working in the field for 4 decades. He had worked with partner John Madden for the past 2. He called the play by play for 16 Super Bowls. I'm not a sports fan, but I'm sure he'll be missed.
My biggest interest in him, he played a bit role with partner Madden in a favorite film.

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2013, 1:44 PM
He was a premier broadcaster. Also worked golf tournaments and other sports.
What most forget is he was a Pro Bowl placekicker with the NY Giants in his heyday.
I have a book he wrote concerning the greatest football players of all time. He played against many of them. Of course he didn't play against Montana, Marino, Elway, etc. In his opinion, the best RB of all time is not even close - Jim Brown. Went on to tell about the time they were at a Pro Bowl practice and all the players wanted to race Brown in the 40. Most of these guys were world class speed. Brown blew them all away. When you think of Jim Brown you think of a fullback who would bull over people, but the guy had footwork resembling Barry Sanders, and break away speed.