PDA

View Full Version : Is Microchipping Worthless?

Mestral
April 2nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
I found a dog in my neighborhood today. Nice, pretty, young (2year), friendly dog, similar in size and build to a bull terrier (I'm no expert). Had rabies tag, city tag. Up to date. Had a tag that said "HomeAgain" and a phone number to call. Called it. Press 1. Press 1. Listen to nice advertizement. Press 2. On hold. Person answers. Doesn't ask about the dog, wants all my personal information. Screw that. (Frankly, I don't know my cell phone number off hand, and don't have time to play games.) Let dog go.

If the owner would have had the dog's name and his or her own phone number on the tag, would have saved money and had their dog back.

xzochye
April 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
I found a dog in my neighborhood today. Nice, pretty, young (2year), friendly dog, similar in size and build to a bull terrier (I'm no expert). Had rabies tag, city tag. Up to date. Had a tag that said "HomeAgain" and a phone number to call. Called it. Press 1. Press 1. Listen to nice advertizement. Press 2. On hold. Person answers. Doesn't ask about the dog, wants all my personal information. Screw that. (Frankly, I don't know my cell phone number off hand, and don't have time to play games.) Let dog go.

If the owner would have had the dog's name and his or her own phone number on the tag, would have saved money and had their dog back.

Take the dog to a local vet and they can scan the dog and get the info. Not sure if calling that number will amount to anything.

Mestral
April 2nd, 2013, 3:34 PM
I didn't have time to take the dog to the vet. I would have gone out of my way to take him home, but it was not to be. BTW, it is my understanding there are several "brands" of microchips, incompatible with each other's readers. If the vet doesn't have one of each reader, he can pass over a chip and not get a reading. Smells a bit like a scam.

Scarlett
April 2nd, 2013, 3:38 PM
I had a beagle that loved to run away. He was micro-chipped...every month or so the pound would call me...so it does WORK.

Notice I said "had" a beagle....I had to give him up...couldn't afford his bail that often!

CenTexDave
April 2nd, 2013, 3:49 PM
Awww..............Oscar wasn't that bad!!! :))

xzochye
April 2nd, 2013, 3:51 PM
I didn't have time to take the dog to the vet. I would have gone out of my way to take him home, but it was not to be. BTW, it is my understanding there are several "brands" of microchips, incompatible with each other's readers. If the vet doesn't have one of each reader, he can pass over a chip and not get a reading. Smells a bit like a scam.

I think that is when they first started microchipping. I have taken 2 different dogs to be read and it was successful each time.

I always try to "help out" strays when I see them. The way I look at it is I would want someone to do it for me if one of my guys got out.

Mestral
April 2nd, 2013, 3:55 PM
...couldn't afford his bail that often!Yeah, everybody is helpful, for a price.

I think that is when they first started microchipping. I have taken 2 different dogs to be read and it was successful each time. I always try to "help out" strays when I see them. The way I look at it is I would want someone to do it for me if one of my guys got out.Where did you take them to be "read"?

I got to thinking, I wonder if the vet would have given me any info, based on the serial number on the rabies tag.

xzochye
April 2nd, 2013, 6:07 PM
Yeah, everybody is helpful, for a price.

Where did you take them to be "read"?

I got to thinking, I wonder if the vet would have given me any info, based on the serial number on the rabies tag.

I took them to Killeen Vet Clinic because it is my vet and very close to my house. However, I believe every clinic has a scanner.

FieryPrincess
April 6th, 2013, 7:27 PM
Sometimes the chip goes bad. That happened to my Lab/Collie mix and one call to Home Again and they sent a new one which was inserted at no charge to me by the vet. Home Again also slaved the accounts together so that IF the other chip miraculously works again, it will link to the new chip.

Our fence in San Antonio was next to useless (it seemed to only obscure the view) and our dogs were ALWAYS getting out. Not only were they chipped (which was never used) but we also had tags on them which had our phone numbers and our address on them.

More than once, I would get a message or a text that said that they put our dogs back in our yard for us (and had plugged up the latest hole).

Mestral
April 7th, 2013, 3:39 AM
. . . Not only were they chipped (which was never used) but we also had tags on them which had our phone numbers and our address on them. . . .This says it all to me. The chip was worthless, but as I said in the beginning, if the dog had had a tag with the owners address or phone number, I would have personally taken the dog back to them.

The321
April 7th, 2013, 9:41 AM
This is the main reason I always inspect the fence and even stay outside with my dog. So she cant/wont get out or have some fine upstanding person of interest take my dog.

xzochye
April 7th, 2013, 12:27 PM
This says it all to me. The chip was worthless, but as I said in the beginning, if the dog had had a tag with the owners address or phone number, I would have personally taken the dog back to them.

Tags and collars don't always stay on the animal either. We had a cat get out and he had tags and a collar on him. When we found him (a year and a half later!) there was no collar.

Both my dogs are chipped and wear collars with tags. One of my dogs wears 2 tags. One with all our info and it says he has Addison's Disease. The other has Addison's disease on it along with the fact he needs monthly injections and his vet info.

FieryPrincess
April 7th, 2013, 1:02 PM
Our new dog has a tendency to know the tags off.

it had become an issue in San Antonio for people to take dogs and look for a reward to bring them back.

We always kept a lock on the gate - just to keep it from being too easy.

poundpup
May 20th, 2013, 9:54 AM
Microchipping saves lives! I work with Lost Dogs in Texas, a recovery group. The main thing to know about microchips is:

REGISTER the chip after implanting. READ ON: if your vet, or shelter says they registered it - DOUBLE CHECK about a week later!!! Very important. I've come across three cases lately, where the shelter/vet thought they uploaded their chips daily, but the info was never received by the chip company. Hundreds, if not thousands of animals are out there with owners who THINK their animals are chipped and registered - but they are not. Whether it is human error, or internet connection or database table incompatibility - CHECK FOR YOURSELF!!! ALWAYS!

Mestral
May 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM
. . . the shelter/vet thought they uploaded their chips daily, but the info was never received by the chip company. Hundreds, if not thousands of animals are out there with owners who THINK their animals are chipped and registered - but they are not. . . .another reason to stick with my previous assertion. I still would like to know if it is likely that the vet would be able to access the dog's records if I called with the rabies tag number. Else, I ain't got time to play games with someone over the phone that wants all MY personal information, rather than the dog's.

poundpup
May 20th, 2013, 3:17 PM
Yes, you can call the issuing vet clinic with the rabies tag number. They most likely won't give you the address of their patient, but should contact the patient for you with your contact information.

Mestral
May 21st, 2013, 8:39 AM
Illogical as that may be, I would be more willing to give my personal information to a local vet, than to someone at a 1-800 number in some remote region of the world.

Back to my original point. I think it would be good for dog owners to put their own telephone number on a tag on their dog.

xzochye
May 21st, 2013, 9:16 AM
Illogical as that may be, I would be more willing to give my personal information to a local vet, than to someone at a 1-800 number in some remote region of the world.

Back to my original point. I think it would be good for dog owners to put their own telephone number on a tag on their dog.

One of my dogs has 2 tags on. Both with my address and phone number. As an addition one of them states that he has Addison's Disease. I don't have anything on them that states they are microchipped. The writing on that wore off a long time ago.

Grammar Rules
May 21st, 2013, 9:29 AM
Our new dog has a tendency to know the tags off.

it had become an issue in San Antonio for people to take dogs and look for a reward to bring them back.

We always kept a lock on the gate - just to keep it from being too easy.

That happened to my in-laws' cocker spaniels in Waco. Someone removed them from the back yard, then held them for a reward. They wished they hadn't tangled with my mother-in-law. May she rest in peace.