PDA

View Full Version : March Madness

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2013, 5:36 PM
Already upsets.
Bye Kansas State (sorry, Scarlet)

Night Owl
March 22nd, 2013, 6:00 PM
There have been quite a few upsets so far.

CenTexDave
March 23rd, 2013, 7:15 AM
And Georgetown, a #2 seed, went down last night.

cityboy
March 23rd, 2013, 8:08 AM
So glad to see Georgetown lose. Bye bye, John Thompson III. Say hey to your pops ...

CenTexDave
March 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Sooo............................
what are your favorites to be in the Final Four??
I'll take Ohio State from the West, Duke from the South, Michigan from the Midwest, and Indiana from the East.

cnjbond
March 23rd, 2013, 4:53 PM
I need a tourniquet for bracket, it's U.G.L.Y!! I despise all things Oklahoma and dummy me picked OU and OSU, I should always pick against them just on principle! K State, Georgetown, UNLV, New Mexico, and UCLA...I hate you!!!!

Rick
March 23rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
On a local note, UMHB worked their way into the final four and beat the #1 team in the country to earn a spot in the finals.

Salem, VA – The longest postseason journey in the history of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor men's basketball team appeared to be coming to an end in the National Semifinals before the Cru found another gear to keep the drive to the Division III National Championship Game alive Saturday night in Salem, Virginia. Down by as many as 14 points to the #1 team in the country, UMHB stormed back to stun St. Thomas (MN) 74-67 to earn the program's first berth in the National title game.

CenTexDave
March 24th, 2013, 8:11 AM
Excellent for the Cru.
#1 seed Gonzaga beat by Wichita State last night. The upsets continue.:)

corgifan
March 24th, 2013, 1:04 PM
No surprise about the number of upsets. With every top kid leaving college to go pro after only one year (and some leaving high school before college) there is no way to accurately predict what any team will do year after year. This will be the new normal.

CenTexDave
March 24th, 2013, 2:08 PM
I hadn't watched a full game yet, so figured would watch the Buckeyes and Hawkeyes. After watching that Ohio State-Iowa State game I may not take in another one. My heart couldn't take it.:))

Rick
March 24th, 2013, 2:24 PM
Same here Dave. I haven't watched a basketball game in forever and happened to catch that I've in the first half, so I figured I'd watch it before the race.

What a finish!

Night Owl
March 24th, 2013, 8:22 PM
Flordia Gulf Coast jsut ran San Diego State out of the gym. Went on a 16-0 late in the second half. This is the first time a 15 seed has made it to the sweet 16.

Ludwig
March 24th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Now I know why it's called March Madness. It's because people like me get mad when all their programming get messed up by those boring BB games taking longer than what the networks allocate. Every show I reocrded this evening was messed up. :hopmad :hopmad

xzochye
March 24th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Now I know why it's called March Madness. It's because people like me get mad when all their programming get messed up by those boring BB games taking longer than what the networks allocate. Every show I reocrded this evening was messed up. :hopmad :hopmad

Sounds like you need to find some quality entertainment. For example The Walking Dead wasn't delayed.

kantwin
March 24th, 2013, 10:21 PM

Only reason I noticed they started this annual crap called March Madness. Preempted programming and recording crap basketball.

Night Owl
March 24th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Same here Dave. I haven't watched a basketball game in forever and happened to catch that I've in the first half, so I figured I'd watch it before the race.

What a finish!

Wrong team won!:)

CenTexDave
March 24th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Sorry, Owl, that no team from Texas is in it.
Maybe you can follow Baylor's Lady Bears. They seem to be doing quite well. :))

cnjbond
March 25th, 2013, 4:16 PM
Sorry, Owl, that no team from Texas is in it.
Maybe you can follow Baylor's Lady Bears. They seem to be doing quite well. :))

OR the Lady Aggies, WHOOP!!!!

cnjbond
March 25th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Scratch that, the Aggies just lost to Nebraska :(

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2013, 9:53 AM
Did Miss Griner ever have a game last night!!!!!!!!!!! 33 points (3 of them dunks!!), 22 rebounds.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Flordia Gulf Coast jsut ran San Diego State out of the gym. Went on a 16-0 late in the second half. This is the first time a 15 seed has made it to the sweet 16.

Phi Slamma Jamma #2.

corgifan
March 27th, 2013, 11:10 AM
As much as I like Brittney Griner, it's like rooting for the Cowboys vs Killeen HS. She is so far above all of her opponents in size, strength, and mass that she can't help but literally demolish anyone that gets in her way. Add her incredible shooting and ball handling ability and it's downright painful to watch. I'll prefer watching her play in the pros.

xzochye
March 27th, 2013, 11:19 AM
As much as I like Brittney Griner, it's like rooting for the Cowboys vs Killeen HS. She is so far above all of her opponents in size, strength, and mass that she can't help but literally demolish anyone that gets in her way. Add her incredible shooting and ball handling ability and it's downright painful to watch. I'll prefer watching her play in the pros.

I would love to see her go up against so of the guys in the NBA! It would be awesome if she could knock Lebron down a few pegs!

sojourner truth
March 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Yep...Her last home game. She was joking with Destiny Sims about how she had only lost one home game in her Baylor time. Sims shot back the she'd never lost even one. That's some record.

Griners 16 Dunks outnumber all of the combined dunk shots of all women who ever played womens college ball.

I met her at the airport a couple of years ago and asked her if the WNBA had been sniffing around and she said "Oh yeah...big time". She'll be a first round pick.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2013, 1:13 PM

I'm sure you will see her in the WNBA soon. Instant playoff team for whoever has the #1 pick.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2013, 1:14 PM
I would love to see her go up against so of the guys in the NBA! It would be awesome if she could knock Lebron down a few pegs!

Surely you jest. Both are 6'8". Griner can dunk, but only gets above the rim several inches. LeBron can touch the top of the backboard.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2013, 1:15 PM
Yep...Her last home game. She was joking with Destiny Sims about how she had only lost one home game in her Baylor time. Sims shot back the she'd never lost even one. That's some record.

Griners 16 Dunks outnumber all of the combined dunk shots of all women who ever played womens college ball.

I met her at the airport a couple of years ago and asked her if the WNBA had been sniffing around and she said "Oh yeah...big time". She'll be a first round pick.

She WILL BE the #1 pick.

Rick
March 28th, 2013, 9:14 PM

What a finish!

Another nail biter for Ohio State!

Night Owl
March 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Another 1 seed went down. Bye, bye Indiana.

Rick
March 28th, 2013, 11:10 PM
They got their asses handed to them.

Night Owl
March 28th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I was glad to see it. I think the champ will be KANSAS. At least it will be a Big 12 champion.

CenTexDave
March 28th, 2013, 11:43 PM
And so did Miami by Marquette. Getting real interesting. Tomorrow Florida-FGCU game should be another good one.

Night Owl
March 29th, 2013, 12:49 AM
And so did Miami by Marquette. Getting real interesting. Tomorrow Florida-FGCU game should be another good one.
Miami was a 2 seed. Every expert said they should have been a 1 instead of Gonzaga.

Night Owl
March 29th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Go FGC.

Dang 60 second delay. I have to wait 25 seconds.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2013, 7:59 AM
Gonzaga was a joke. Their conference is nothing. Still, some of these other upsets are real interesting.
I think Corgifan hit it right with these "superstars" playing only 1 or 2 years and then they are gone to the NBA. Teams can't reload superstars fast enough, and there just aren't enough of them throughout the country.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2013, 9:40 AM
Some good matchups tonight, and by Sunday evening we'll know who goes to the Final Four.
3 of my 4 choices are still in it, but that could all change this weekend.
Unless Ohio State decides to take Wichita State too lightly, they should romp into it. The only thing that seems to concern me about them is they seem to play down to their competition sometimes and seem to lack a killer instinct. But when they play their tough defense and Aaron Craft is running the floor, they can take anybody out. Sharpshooters throughout the lineup.
I look for Duke-Louisville to be a great matchup, providing they both get to the Elite Eight. lol
Syracuse exposed Indiana. What a defense. Then during the post-game interviews the Indiana players acted like spoiled brats. Good riddance.
Sticking my neck out here, but .............................
2013 NCAA Champs will be............................

Syracuse!!!!!!

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Farewell, Kansas. Michigan could have quit. Kansas was controlling that game, but came back, forced OT and won it.
FGCU is beating up Florida right now, but that will probably change. Duke and Michigan State in a tight one at the half.
Louisville all over Oregon.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2013, 11:07 AM
One thing to add - what is with these refs stopping play after a last second or two bucket puts a team in the lead????
They gave Iowa State a free time out after Ohio State buried a three pointer with two seconds left and took the lead. Iowa State was out of time outs.
They did it again Thursday night when Ohio State did the same thing against Arizona. No time outs for Arizona, Bucks make a late shot and take the lead.
And they did it again last night when Michigan tied the game in regulation.
This excuse of checking to see if it was an actual three pointer is weak. An official checks that during play and will hold up 2 or 3 fingers when the shot it taken. Against Arizona that guy from Ohio State was 3 feet beyond the three point line.
You're playing at a neutral venue - gotta trust the time keeper. And it's not any 30 second delay- those idiots last night took nearly 5 minutes!!!! Plenty of time for the opposing team without a time out to diagram a play.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2013, 5:59 PM
Syracuse dismantled Marquette. Wasn't much of a game.
Now we get the west finals - Wichita State and Ohio State.
No further comment needed, except "GO BUCKS!!!!"

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2013, 7:08 PM
Worst I have ever seen Ohio State play. They look lost out there. I dont see a comeback from this far down.

Night Owl
March 30th, 2013, 7:14 PM
I have my fingers crossed they don't. I would like to see a higher seed win it all. Wichita State would be a great champion.

Scarlett
March 30th, 2013, 7:41 PM
They are up 44-27 now!

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2013, 7:42 PM
I think the winner of tomorrow's Louisville-Duke game will play Syracuse.
Who knows what will happen in that.

Rick
March 30th, 2013, 8:36 PM
Buckeyes tried to come back, but with less than a minute and down by six. Not bloody likely. Looks like their luck has run out.

Night Owl
March 30th, 2013, 8:43 PM
WS tried to give it to them but hung on at the end. Go WS!

Scarlett
March 30th, 2013, 8:44 PM
Impressive!!

Night Owl
March 30th, 2013, 8:47 PM
This is the year for upsets. The latest is a 9 seed thumped a 2 seed. Will a 1 seed make it to the Final 4? I predict no. Duke will beat Louisville.

siamcat
March 30th, 2013, 9:44 PM
Go Michigan:)!

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2013, 7:35 AM
That's why it's called March Madness.:)

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2013, 1:18 PM
Impressive!!

Absolultely SHOCKing. :)

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2013, 4:54 PM
Michigan sure didn't have a letdown. What a blowout. And with all their starters coming back........................!!

Scarlett
March 31st, 2013, 5:42 PM
OMG... That injury on Louisville team is so..... Sad....

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2013, 5:57 PM
I never saw anything like that before. Hope the kid recovers.
Right now Duke needs to recover.

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2013, 6:38 PM
Goodbye Duke.
And Baylor's Lady Bears are now getting waxed by Louisville!!

bbh
March 31st, 2013, 10:32 PM
I have never seen anything like the Kevin Ware injury....worse than Joe Theismann's. Just awful.

corgifan
March 31st, 2013, 10:38 PM
Well, the only way Britney Griner and Baylor could lose happened. She needed to be mugged every time she had her hands on the ball and the officials had to close their eyes to it. Crappy way to end her career in college, but now she gets to look forward to fat paydays in the WNBA.

CenTexDave
April 1st, 2013, 5:46 AM
That was the worst officiated game I have watched this entire March Madness - women's or men's.

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
That Louisville women's team pulls off another big upset. After eliminating Baylor, they get rid of Tennessee.
Should be an interesting Final Four - three teams from the Big East and California left.

Ang
April 3rd, 2013, 1:23 PM
The Louisville women's team has Piss-pore sportsmanship. They have so much talent...why can't they have a little class?

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2013, 1:59 PM
Because they are ghetto trash. :))
They knew the only way to beat Baylor was to constantly mug Griner. The refs should have put a stop to it when it first started.

cnjbond
April 3rd, 2013, 3:23 PM
Because they are ghetto trash. :))
They knew the only way to beat Baylor was to constantly mug Griner. The refs should have put a stop to it when it first started.

I'm going to nickname you CenTexImus!!! :)

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2013, 6:22 PM
Thank you, Mr. Bond.

cnjbond
April 3rd, 2013, 9:52 PM
Thank you, Mr. Bond.

Shaken, not stirred...

CenTexDave
April 6th, 2013, 6:50 PM
If you aren't watching the first semi-final, you may miss one of the biggest upsets of all time.
Wichita State - 47, Louisville - 38; 13 minutes to go.

Night Owl
April 6th, 2013, 6:57 PM
Hope they hang on.

CenTexDave
April 6th, 2013, 9:04 PM
Nope, Louisville managed to come back. Good game though.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Sad. Would have liked to see the championship game between a 4 and9 seed.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2013, 2:54 PM
I know UMHB lost, but couldn't find much about the game except this:

"AMHERST IN CONTROL
It took Amherst about 3 minutes to seize control of the Division III title game.
The Lord Jeffs scored the first 10 points, and while Mary Hardin-Baylor never allowed them to stretch that lead much, the Crusaders never managed to trim into it, either.
Amherst has had to play most of the first half without national player of the year Aaron Toomey, who picked up two fouls and earned a seat on the bench next to coach David Hixon.
Amherst led 38-30 at the break.
The highlight, though, belonged to the Crusaders, who picked up a loose ball and passed it ahead to swingman Thomas Orr, who left the entire goal rattling after a thunderous dunk.
— Dave Skretta — http://twitter.com/@APdaveskretta
___
LONE STAR PRIDE
Mary Hardin-Baylor is carrying the weight of Texas on its shoulders.
The Crusaders became the first program from the Lone Star State to appear in the Division III national championship when it faced Amherst on Sunday.
Not only that, the Crusaders are doing it in a year in which none of the Division I schools from the state so much as managed to make the NCAA tournament. The closest was Baylor, which was left off the bubble on Selection Sunday and then ran roughshod through the NIT tournament.
Metropolitan State, which will play Drury for the Division II title, knocked out San Antonio-based St. Mary's University earlier in the tournament. That left Mary Hardin-Baylor, based in Belton, Texas, as the pride of the state this season.
— Dave Skretta
Fans of college basketball who've grown weary of the wrestling matches that take place in Division I hoops these days ought to make their way to small-college games.
Amherst and Mary Hardin-Baylor are playing in the Division III championship on Sunday, and there wasn't a single whistle blown — not for a foul, a turnover or even for a ball that went out of bounds — for nearly five minutes at the start of the game.
Just crisp screens, solid defense, good shooting and a nice tempo.
The way basketball used to be played.
— Dave Skretta
___
LITTLE GUYS, BIG STAGE
Louisville and Michigan fans aren't the only ones left partying in Atlanta.
It's time for the Division II and Division III national championship games. He will be played Sunday at Philips Arena, a short walk from where those two will play for the Division I title Monday night.
First up is Amherst takes on Mary Hardin-Baylor in the D-3 title game, followed by Drury and Metropolitan State for the D-2 title. The games are being played as part of Final Four weekend for the first time as the NCAA celebrates its 75th anniversary.
And while they may not be as numerous, fans of all four schools are just as vocal.
There was a contingent of about a dozen students who drove from Texas to root on Mary-Hardin Baylor, and they made quite a racket a couple hours before tip as they marched toward the arena dressed in everything from a garish golden toga to a snazzy purple bodysuit.
When one curmudgeon shot them a "keep it quiet" glance, one of the students replied courteously, "I didn't drive 16 hours to be quiet"!!!!"

Rick
April 7th, 2013, 3:06 PM
It was on the CBS sports channel. Was good to be able to watch it. Amherst was bigger and dominated from the start. The Cru played their hearts out.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2013, 2:02 PM
Tonight: Louisville vs. Michigan for the men's championship.
Being a die-hard Buckeye, I hate to do this, but................GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!:))

cnjbond
April 8th, 2013, 2:09 PM
I picked Lousville to lose in the Finals to Kansas...at least I got the right team in the finals. :(

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2013, 5:03 PM
My initial prediction for the Final Four had Ohio State, Louisville, Syracuse and Florida. I got one right too. :)

CenTexDave
April 9th, 2013, 9:49 AM
Louisville seemingly has the ability to turn it up whenever it needs to.
That game was getting very rough in the second half. If the refs had called all fouls none of the starters would have been left on the floor.
Was a good game, except that Louisville won.
I don't their women's team will be so fortunate tonight. :)

cnjbond
April 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I don't their women's team will be so fortunate tonight. :)

I don't know, they have a lucky rabbit's foot or some other type of Mojo working for them...but I hope they lose!!

CenTexDave
April 9th, 2013, 6:43 PM
I've been watching the women's pre-game show on ESPN. Interesting stuff, especially the way UCONN treats their freshmen (freshwomen - lol) - they are like plebes at West Point. :))

CenTexDave
April 9th, 2013, 8:39 PM
Halftime: UConn -48 ; Louisville - 29
No comeback for them tonight. :))

CenTexDave
April 9th, 2013, 9:58 PM
BIGGEST BLOW OUT IN NCAA WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HISTORY
And with Britney Griner graduating, Baylor should not be nearly as good as they have been. Looks like UConn Women will go back to their usual place atop the women's game.

Ang
April 10th, 2013, 1:39 PM
I'm glad UConn won. Those Louisville girls were just too cocky.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
And Pat Summit showed a lot of class sending a message within seconds of the final buzzer congratulation Geno and his team.
She knows next year he will probably surpass her mark of 8 national championships.