PDA

View Full Version : Dog needs foster home

FieryPrincess
March 19th, 2013, 8:31 PM
City of San Antonio Animal Care Services (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151635921212573&id=297356532572)
We are looking for a long-term foster home for a soldier's dog in Killeen, TX. The soldier is from San Antonio, but is stationed at Ft. Hood until November, 2013. Her dog, Blossom, was staying with a family member here, but due to the family member's health issues, she can no longer care for her.

We found a temporary foster in San Antonio, but Blossom is very depressed without her family and we want her to be closer to them so they can come visit her. Killeen's shelters and rescue groups don't really have any kind of outreach or networking program so I'm finding it difficult to get the word out to people who may be able to help in Killeen.

Any ideas? Our Facebook friends always seem to come through for me in a pinch. Blossom is a 3 year old Chow/Golden Retriever mix. She is crate trained and housebroken, good with other dogs and kids. She is very shy and confused right now so a home with older kids would probably make her feel more at ease. She is also good around cats. She prefers to be inside rather than outside.

This hit my facebook page, so I though I would share here. I'll update with contact info when I find it, although I think that one could google City of San Antonio ACS and find something.

While I am sure that everyone has an opinion, please try to keep things positive. Not everyone is as stubborn or has as many resources as some of us do.

FieryPrincess
March 19th, 2013, 8:32 PM
Contact info =

Contact Jeanne Saadi, jeanne.saadi@sanantonio.gov; phone (210)207-6644.

xzochye
March 19th, 2013, 8:34 PM
This hit my facebook page, so I though I would share here. I'll update with contact info when I find it, although I think that one could google City of San Antonio ACS and find something.

While I am sure that everyone has an opinion, please try to keep things positive. Not everyone is as stubborn or has as many resources as some of us do.

There used to be an organization that helped soldiers like this out. If I can find it I will put it on here.

Ludwig
March 19th, 2013, 9:18 PM
I sent an e-mail and requested more info so I can make an informed decision and convince my wife. On the surface, three dogs are not much worse than two.:)

xzochye
March 19th, 2013, 9:40 PM
I sent an e-mail and requested more info so I can make an informed decision and convince my wife. On the surface, three dogs are not much worse than two.:)

I have to agree with that. We just started fostering a dog on Saturday and it has been great! Anyone interested in an awesome corgi? Uhmmmm the furry kind...hehehe

FieryPrincess
March 20th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I just think it is neat that I can get a post from a San Antonio facebook friend while in Alaska and redirect it to my beloved CTT site and that someone even considered the option so quickly.

It's nice to have a small world when there are so many nice people in it.

Ang
March 20th, 2013, 2:47 PM
My daughter was telling me about a program they have in Marshall Tx that allows you to take a dog, of your choice, out of the shelter for a couple hrs. a day. I think that is a Super idea. You could take the dog for a walk or run in the country. Enjoy the dog and the dog could enjoy your attention for awhile. Then the next day or next wk. your could do it again. What do you think?

macs
March 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
My daughter was telling me about a program they have in Marshall Tx that allows you to take a dog, of your choice, out of the shelter for a couple hrs. a day. I think that is a Super idea. You could take the dog for a walk or run in the country. Enjoy the dog and the dog could enjoy your attention for awhile. Then the next day or next wk. your could do it again. What do you think?

Yes, I know of this, but it is usually the people who are part of a rescue that come in and take the dogs out for awhile.

The program some of you may be talking about is "Dogsondeployment" I think it is called. Not sure if they would consider this deployment, but it would help him out. I would totally do it for him, but I already foster dogs and my home is full.

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2013, 4:10 PM
Adopt this dog and your homeowner's insurance will go up. Chow's are a no-no.

xzochye
March 21st, 2013, 4:40 PM

That would require you calling and telling them.

I do not like or care for breed specif rules or laws etc...

Ludwig
March 21st, 2013, 5:56 PM

The dog in question is not a Chow. There is no provision in my insurance regarding dogs. I insure with USAA and I would not insure with any company that has pet provisions.

macs
March 21st, 2013, 8:34 PM
The dog in question is not a Chow. There is no provision in my insurance regarding dogs. I insure with USAA and I would not insure with any company that has pet provisions.

The dog is a chow/retriever mix i think the post stated.

Ludwig
March 21st, 2013, 9:16 PM
From Blossom;s pictures, she does have the thick fur resembling a Chow but her head is all Retriever. She's a fine 46 pounder and I'm working on my wife to accept her but have had little luck thus far.

xzochye
March 21st, 2013, 9:23 PM
From Blossom;s pictures, she does have the thick fur resembling a Chow but her head is all Retriever. She's a fine 46 pounder and I'm working on my wife to accept her but have had little luck thus far.

Give us her email address and we can flood her account with our pleas of mercy! ;)

macs
March 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Its only supposed to be until November. That's not that far away.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
If I didn't have such a busy summer full of stress over who will watch my dog already, then I would take it!

xzochye
March 22nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
If I didn't have such a busy summer full of stress over who will watch my dog already, then I would take it!

I might be able to watch her sometimes. We can discuss our schedules and see.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
I might be able to watch her sometimes. We can discuss our schedules and see.

Maybe I will find a husband between now and then and I can just leave him home with the damn dog, cats, fish, and ....hmmm...whatever other critters my kids drag home. (Crap, I just remembered, we are getting a second dog next week already! AURGH!!!)

xzochye
March 22nd, 2013, 1:14 PM
Maybe I will find a husband between now and then and I can just leave him home with the damn dog, cats, fish, and ....hmmm...whatever other critters my kids drag home. (Crap, I just remembered, we are getting a second dog next week already! AURGH!!!)

If you find a husband make sure he has a single brother!

engteach64
March 28th, 2013, 8:28 PM
I would love a chow again, but unfortunately Dave is correct. It isn't so much that insurance goes up, but I've been told you can be dropped completely. Hopefully someone who lives in the country can take this dog.

spedkiddos
April 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I wish I could help, but we recently adopted a mastiff and along with the other animals I have I don't think it would be a good fit. I hope by now they have been able to find a home for Blossom. Here are a few sites I found for soldiers who are deploying with animals.

http://guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org/

http://www.dogsondeployment.org/

http://www.kcentv.com/story/17453482/site-helps-foster-military-pets-during-deployment