PDA

View Full Version : Bathing my dog

VooDooBaby
May 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have a Boston Terrier who loves to run through our yard and dig, and get filthy.. Luckily enough, he loves getting bathed even more. My only problem is, when I take him to the groomer, he comes back smelling amazing, but when I bathe him at home no matter what kind of doggie wash I use, he just smells like a wet dog. What am I doing wrong? I've left the doggie wash on for a few minutes, but nothing leaves him smelling like an oatmeal cookie like when he comes back from the groomer.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 12th, 2009, 3:02 PM
Don't you just love the smell of wet dog?

Not all shampoos are created equally and some of them just don't remove the oils that cause the odor. Another factor to consider is that some dogs can have skin disease going on that can exacerbate odors. These dogs will usually itch, have some hairloss and have a coat that seems oily. But anyway, I would try an aloe vera and oatmeal based shampoo. These are usually very mild, smell great and have the ability to cut the oils and leave behind a good smelling dog. Remember, lather generously and let it sit for 10 minutes (which is a very long time to have a sudsy dog runnin' around but can also be quite entertaining) then rinse thoroughly. This type of shampoo is mild enough that you could repeat the process immediately if you are feeling ambitious.

Give that a try and give me a call if you have trouble finding a good shampoo. I have one in the clinic (available over the counter) that is great. It costs about $14.00 for a large bottle.

Good luck and have fun.