PDA

View Full Version : I have a dog....

Scarlett
February 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM
But he spends so much time alone, he looks sad.
Is it a good idea to add a second dog? I think I am getting a puppy in April. Both are males. Both will be fixed. One is a beagle, and he will be about 9 months old by then. The new one will be a mini daschaund.
Anybody have any suggestions?
:-\

username
February 13th, 2009, 3:23 AM
We had one beagle and she was pretty lonely during the day and sometimes she would chew up inappropriate things! We added a second one about a year later since, like lays potato chips, you cant have just one and everything changed! They play and play, wear each other out and rarely get into anything they are not supposed to. We are glad we added the second dog! Beagles are pack dogs anyway so im sure your little guy will love the company!

Scarlett
February 13th, 2009, 6:19 AM
He DOES chew up EVERYTHING right now!
That makes me feel better about it.

FieryPrincess
February 13th, 2009, 6:39 AM
We got our dog a dog It worked out great. Thy were together nine years when the second dog died unexpectedly.

Our dog was so unhappy that we had to go out adn get her another dog. This one is a ot younger, and she acts like a queen. She had to learn to be an alpha dog, but she does a beautiful job now. She sits from her throne area on the porch and the other dog does patrol. There is a particular bark he can use when he wants "back-up".

Second Chance allowed us (encouraged it really strongly) to bring our dog so we could try her together with other dogs.

Deb
February 13th, 2009, 5:25 PM
I would also suggest a meeting on neutral territory, then in your home, Scarlett. When I brought my mini poodle in my house just over 5 years ago, we met at Boggie's "foster mom's" house, then she brought him my my house. Boggie growled at Odie the cocker spaniel once and took over as the Alpha male. So I live with 2 males and 3 females. I just can't tell who's the Alpha female, but I think it's the 9 year old pomeranian, Taffee.

Night Owl
February 18th, 2009, 8:00 AM
Dogs are pack animals and need other dogs for companionship. Get another one and you will have two happy puppies (dogs).

poundpup
February 22nd, 2009, 7:57 AM
Another aspect is, that if you get a young dog for an older dog, the older dog will teach the younger one. I have two old dog girls who have raised every pup who has walked into this house. They all know their place.

the stig
February 23rd, 2009, 3:31 PM
Scarlett get another dog. The beagle is a hunting dog and needs something to do or someone to play with. But you have to be the alpha of the house and not the dogs.
My wife and I have three dogs and two cats. We both share the alpha role in the house. Two of the three dogs are of a bully breed and needs to be controlled as such. they are very well behaved in public because of it. But all three are very spoiled.

Scarlett
February 23rd, 2009, 3:41 PM
Getting another dog may lead to a divorce, but so be it. Haha.

Here is my other problem. (Keep in mind, I AM going to get the other dog, he just is not old enough yet...)
My current dog, the beagle, is going insane. I put him out when I wake up in the morning, is it usually around 6:45. He runs all over the yard, like he is on the trail of something. I have never seen anything SNIFF that hard, that fast, that focused! He then starts howling and running around with his nose to the ground. He doesn't even seem to HEAR me when I hollar at him, he is so intent on finding whatever the hell it is that he is smelling.
What gives?
Is there some wild animal in my backyard at night that is leaving a weird trail just to drive Oscar insane??
I am afraid the neighbors are going to get upset. (Mind you, I don't KNOW my neighbors, but this is not how I want to get to know them!)
He does that horrible "beagle howl" and barks...so loud....

What can I do about that?

the stig
February 23rd, 2009, 5:01 PM
Scarlett your beagle is a hunting dog and works with his nose to the ground. That is what he does. Personaly I would give him something to play with be it some kind of ball(soccer ball, basketball). He needs to be exercised. Try walking him at night when you get home from work. Beagles ar high energy dogs and needs to have something to do to work off that energy. For that beagle howl or bark you can try to get him to stop but again it is what he does. Honestly get a book about the beagle and read it it should give you ideas on how to keep him busy. Remember the daschund is a hunting dog also. Again get a book on the breed and read it.

poundpup
February 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I agree with Stig in everything.

I would give him something to be successful about - he is searching, sniffing - so let him find something every other day or so.... before you let him out, hide something and let him smell the scent ... then let him seek. He will be very happy to actually find something!!

Night Owl
February 24th, 2009, 8:12 AM
I agree with Stig in everything.

I would give him something to be successful about - he is searching, sniffing - so let him find something every other day or so.... before you let him out, hide something and let him smell the scent ... then let him seek. He will be very happy to actually find something!!

:owl I just noticed your adopt a dog ad but the kitty one is completely wrong. It should be "adopt a dog", kill a kitty. :bounce

Deb
February 24th, 2009, 3:44 PM
I've done that, Night Owl. Adopted 5 dogs, and killed one kitty. The car in front of me spooked the cat out of the ditch, and the kitty ran under the cab of my truck before the back left wheel nailed him and sent him flying into oncoming traffic. When I went back the other way a few hours later, it was gone. I guess somebody got it and buried it, or maybe a bird of prey got it and had an easy dinner. But it was either hit the cat or go into oncoming traffic and have a head on crash. I had enough troubles with that truck that I didn't need the front end caved in at my expense. The (*&^ thing already needed a new engine (under warranty) because a bearing was about to seize on the lower end.

Night Owl
February 24th, 2009, 5:51 PM
Deb
When I try to run over them they move!!!! :2ban

FieryPrincess
February 24th, 2009, 7:01 PM
I have two dogs, two cats, two kids and a husband (just the one :x: )

While the older dog is the alpha animal, I am the big bad bitch for the whole clan. I have always lived with large breed and strong willed dogs, so I just don't brook any of that from our pets. We are known for the sweetness of our pets.

Scarlett
February 24th, 2009, 8:20 PM
:owl I just noticed your adopt a dog ad but the kitty one is completely wrong. It should be "adopt a dog", kill a kitty. :bounce

:shoottokill :owl

Deb
February 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Deb
When I try to run over them they move!!!! :2ban
That's what this one was doing. Went under on the right side, right behind the front tire, and got killed by left rear tire. Not pretty. But it was either kill it or having an accident. I wasn't about to have an accident because of a stupid cat. Another good reason not to have a cat. My pomeranians hate cats. But then again, their previous owner was like me and didn't like cats. Plus I'm big time allergic to them.

Scarlett
February 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I had a cat once who climbed up under the hood of my car. It was winter, and winter in Kansas is COLD. So anyow, apparently the car engine was warm, and he curled up in there.
I started the car later, and he was all stuck up in the belt. Ripped his fur and muscle off down to the bone.
Thought my car made the weirdest noise...well...needless to say it wasn't the CAR that was screeching.

Cat lived...cat managed to stay alive for several years after that. Had a weird looking leg though... ;)

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Been a while since the last post on this. But Scarlett the same thing happened to me. We had this car that was a real sweetheart (yeah, I like cats, too). Beautiful female calico. She did the same and when I started the car she was all cut up. Had to take her and have her put down. Really a bummer.
I know this guy that lives in Kempner and he has a cat. Don't think anyone would want to **** with it - a cougar! Nice little kitty, friendly to people, etc., but I sure as hell wouldn't go to sleep in that house with it roaming around at night.

THEMEANOGRE
March 21st, 2009, 7:38 AM
Also, do NOT use a "Swiffer Wet Jet" cleaning system on your bare floors with a smaller dog or with small children.

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2009, 9:10 AM
I used it once - about got me high mopping the floors.

FieryPrincess
March 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
That one isn't true.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2009, 7:54 PM
Hmmmmmmm..........must have been all the Wild Turkey that I had spilled and was trying to mop it up!!

christine
March 23rd, 2009, 6:28 PM
Also, do NOT use a "Swiffer Wet Jet" cleaning system on your bare floors with a smaller dog or with small children.

im glad you mentioned that. Can you believe that because it’s only like one molecule off from being, what was it, formaldehyde they are allowed to sell it & don't have to print thats what it basicaly is on the lable!? You just can't trust the bottle anymore.

CenTexDave
March 23rd, 2009, 8:34 PM
Oh, thanks. Good to know. I knew there was a reason I mopped up that Wild Turkey and then wrung the mop out into my glass!!:)

Army Sarge
March 23rd, 2009, 9:28 PM
Someone say they needed a cat?

Army Sarge
March 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
im glad you mentioned that. Can you believe that because it’s only like one molecule off from being, what was it, formaldehyde ....

Please don't fall for these urban legend pseudo-intellectual farcical attempts at the appearance of some kind of insider information that someone is passing along. The only way they continue to gain a head of steam is by unwitting participants reading it posted somewhere as some sort of "fact" and passing it along to others.

Next thing you know, they will be posting horror stories of how gangs initiated their members by driving around at night with their headlights off and chased/shot killed the first passing motorist that flashed their lights at them...

Or how they took a cup of water they had just heated out of the microwave and it blew up in their face....or

You get the point

Army Sarge
March 25th, 2009, 1:16 AM
Found another use for cats...

Deb
March 25th, 2009, 9:22 AM
Another use for cats. Play toys for my dogs. Great exercise for the dogs if it's not 110 degrees at 2 o'clock in the afternoon and they don't want to go outside. But I can't blame them.

Night Owl
March 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Someone say they needed a cat?

Ahhhhhhhh, a good cat!!!!

Night Owl
March 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Excellent use of cats!!!!!!