PDA

View Full Version : Frontline Plus Losing Effectiveness?

corgifan
January 30th, 2013, 8:39 PM
I've used Frontline Plus on my corgi (yup, I have one in real life) and my cats for a couple of years now with great success. One dose kept the fleas at bay for the advertised month. But since October or so it doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore. My dog gets infested, we give him a flea bath with some really good shampoo that kills them all, we let him build up his oils for a couple of days, and reapply the Frontline. Two weeks later the fleas are back. Same with the kitties. We've had the house bombed and vacuum like crazy, and fleas aren't hopping on us, so I don't think the house is infested. I'm convinced it's the Frontline. Going to try Comfortis pills.

Just curious if anyone else has had less than wonderful results from Frontline Plus lately. Fleas are notorious for developing immunity to things that kill them. It might not be worth buying it at $15 a dose anymore.

siamcat
January 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM
The fleas could be in your yard.
I use the generic flea drops so I have no experience with the brand stuff.

Night Owl
January 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Treat the yard. Lowes has excellent products that are pet friendly. The weather hasn't been cold enough to kill bugs off. Need about a week of lot temps to do any good.

curmudgeon
January 31st, 2013, 5:47 AM
If you use a good fire ant chemical like Over and Out it will get rid of flees too.

Ang
January 31st, 2013, 10:29 AM
Back when I could afford it I used Frontline once. It was not very effective in North Alabama.

macs
January 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Where are you getting your Frontline from? My vet puts up warnings all the time about buying it from places online because much of it is fake. Just a hint, for bathing a dog with fleas, use BLUE Dawn dish soap. To help with the lack of oil on the skin, use a tablespoon of coconut oil on their hard kibble. The dogs LOVE it and they will have the shiniest, smoothest, softest fur in town. I am always getting asked about my dogs fur and where I get them groomed at. LOL, no where!

joyohjoy
January 31st, 2013, 12:21 PM
I have used Frontline for 9 years and it is still effective for my dogs. I did buy from vet bet they switched so I am using 1-800 PetMeds.

sojourner truth
January 31st, 2013, 12:37 PM
I have used frontline on my dog since she was a pup, and we haven't had any problem. The only problem I have had is trying to get my vet to give our prescription to 1-800 pet meds. The vet does not like doing that because he loses money. I was using a pain med for my old dog, and pet med had the same thing for a lot less, and they flat refused to give them the prescription until I made threats.

I just don't like having to drive over to my vet and paying twice as much for something I can get delivered to my door at half the price.

macs
January 31st, 2013, 1:03 PM
I dont use anything on my animals at all. I have three dogs and two cats. I have lived here for 8 years and have never had a flea or a tick problem ever. Not sure why, but I'm glad. I personally will not use 1-800-pet for any part of my animals care after seeing the emails and letters my vet received from the sellers and where they buy their goods from to provide to 1-800. Have you ever bought your own drugs from an overseas online pharmacy?....ill let you make your own determination.

xzochye
January 31st, 2013, 1:43 PM
I have used frontline on my dog since she was a pup, and we haven't had any problem. The only problem I have had is trying to get my vet to give our prescription to 1-800 pet meds. The vet does not like doing that because he loses money. I was using a pain med for my old dog, and pet med had the same thing for a lot less, and they flat refused to give them the prescription until I made threats.

I just don't like having to drive over to my vet and paying twice as much for something I can get delivered to my door at half the price.

You no longer need a prescription for Frontline. It is sold at Walmart now. My vet doesn't even have it in stock anymore.

macs
January 31st, 2013, 2:34 PM
Lol, to me that should tell you something right there!