PDA

View Full Version : shooting practice and technique

Mestral
January 30th, 2013, 6:11 PM
Just watched an episode of American Rifleman, where they were at Gunsight Academy (shooting school). Pretty good discussion on using a "pocket pistol" in defensive situations. Short sight radius, how to draw from various positions, errors than can lead to a miss even at close range. The only thing I didn't like was they used the term sight radius without defining it. (distance from the rear sight to the front sight)

Mestral
February 21st, 2013, 3:25 PM
As I was looking at a video from another thread, I found this one. Shows a couple of problems that can happen if you don't practice good gun control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4

Ludwig
February 21st, 2013, 4:54 PM
As I was looking at a video from another thread, I found this one. Shows a couple of problems that can happen if you don't practice good gun control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4

I only know a couple of CTT folk who have limp wrists and I doubt that they will be reading this thread. :bluerofl :bluerofl

Mestral
February 21st, 2013, 5:22 PM
Eh, yeah. Along the practice and technique thing, I recently acquired some snap caps. For the uninitiated, these are dummy rounds, with a rubber or plastic primer, that take some of the stress off the weapon's parts when doing dry fire.

Mestral
February 27th, 2013, 5:44 PM
Just wondering how many people practice with their weapon, other than at the range. (Dry fire or no fire practice) I have tried to pick it up every fifth day, on average, but I know my real average isn't near that often, something else always comes up. I also practice with a soft air pistol, from time to time.

Dagobert II
February 27th, 2013, 5:59 PM
I get LOTS of dry fire practice in every day, often while watching the news.

Mestral
February 27th, 2013, 6:40 PM
I get LOTS of dry fire practice in every day, often while watching the news.
Got to let go of that anger man. :)
Sound like me, not too very long ago. :(
Nowadays, while I prepare for what may be a second civil war,
or major economic meltdown, I'm pretty mellow. It just is what it is.
But thanks for answering.

Mestral
March 3rd, 2013, 8:58 AM
All that said, however, it is still important to do drills and practice. (even when doing them mellow :) )

Has anyone experienced a broken firing pin, or some other malfunction that can be attributed to dry fire practice?
I got some snap caps, just to make sure, but I have heard some mixed reviews about how hard on a weapon dry firing is.

kantwin
March 3rd, 2013, 9:19 AM
Never had a broken firing pin, but I've not been a weapons owner for as long as some.
I do use snap caps. I'll mix them in with live rounds at the range, for misfire practice. Just have to make sure not to eject the snap cap over the wall at the indoor range.
Since Mama is still not too comfortable handling weapons, I also use the snap caps on her revolver, to get her used to loading, firing, and unloading.

Mestral
March 3rd, 2013, 9:46 AM
Excellent. Had to laugh about ejecting them over the wall at the indoor range. To eject them downwards with my weapon, I have to have the weapon in my left hand. Not a problem for the one in seven rounds of fire that I shoot left handed, but otherwise I have to switch hands or the round (or shell) goes eight feet to the right, and six feet back. That means I have the opposite problem at an outdoor range. I may have to paint them fluorescent, so I can find them.

I use them here at home for dry fire practice. May start using them once in a while at the range after I get them painted. Make that stained, as paint would alter the size, and chip off. (Now just have to find fluorescent dye. Anyone have any idea where?) I worry about some people over training with them. Don't get TOO comfortable or automatic with the immediate action drill. A real stoppage needs to be examined to see what caused it.

kantwin
March 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
The snap caps I have are translucent red, with the spring visible. Pretty easy to spot. I've seen plastic orange ones, but heard they tend to shave off particles in the weapon.

Mestral
March 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
The ones I have are a dull red, almost burgundy, with plastic like primer, no visible spring. I didn't know they made different ones (other than different calibers). I'll have to check for shavings.

Dagobert II
March 3rd, 2013, 2:28 PM
I suppose the wisdom of dry firing on an empty chamber would largely depend on the design of the weapon. With a Glock, dry firing on an empty chamber is part of the disassembly procedure so I dry fire with abandon without worry of damage to the weapon. Oh and as far as dry firing while watching the news goes, well I don't watch MSNBC. I don't think my finger could move fast enough to service all the targets presented there.

kantwin
March 3rd, 2013, 2:32 PM
The ones I have are a dull red, almost burgundy, with plastic like primer, no visible spring. I didn't know they made different ones (other than different calibers). I'll have to check for shavings.

Sounds like you have the brand A-Zoom. My 9mm ones are "Triple K" brand. Bought them from Amazon.

sojourner truth
March 3rd, 2013, 5:15 PM
If it don't go "BOOM" I don't see the sense.:))