PDA

View Full Version : Intrastate commerce may circumvent Feds

Grammar Rules
January 24th, 2013, 6:52 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2013/01/23/house_freshman_files_gun_bill.html/

House freshman files gun bill to skirt federal regs
By Tim Eaton | Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 12:03 PM

State Rep. Matt Krause, R-Fort Worth, filed a gun bill Wednesday that seems to be intended to get around federal regulations.

Krause, one of the chamber’s more conservative freshmen, filed House Bill 627 to exempt the intrastate manufacture of firearms, firearm accessories and ammunition from federal regulation.

“The Constitution clearly enumerates the powers and authority of the federal government, and according to the Tenth Amendment any power not expressly granted to the federal government is reserved to the states,” Krause said in a news release. “A firearm that is made, sold, and used in Texas—an explicitly intrastate transaction—does not fall under Congress’ authority to regulate commerce between the states and should be expressly protected in state law.”

Krause said his bill will send a “clear, strong message to our federal government where Texas stands on the Second Amendment.”

My observation: Rep. Krause, we are pretty sure the feds know where Texas stands.:)) In July 2011, Gov Perry promised a big Texas Howdy-Welcome to any incandescent light bulb factory that wanted to move in here and manufacture bulbs. Don't know if that ever happened, but can you imagine the coolness of weapons made in Texas for Texans? Folks, we don't need this secession nonsense. We are the State of Texas operating Intrastate Commerce. I'm seeing opportunity all over the state.

Dagobert II
January 24th, 2013, 9:53 AM
There are several states that have either already passed or are considering such acts. A similar proposal was made in the Michigan legislature and it was explicitly stated by the sponsor of the legislation that he hopes to get the Remington Arms factory to move to Michigan. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/POLITICS02/301230392/Senate-bill-exempts-Michigan-made-firearms-from-fed-restrictions?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

sojourner truth
January 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM
We are already seeing an influx of certain types of folks from other states. The wealthy who don't want 3/4s of their money going to taxes, and those who are tired of being unemployed.

States that have no state tax are becoming the new haven for the smart worker. There are an awful lot ofjobs here, and opportunity, that are not punished by oppressive federal tampering.

Of course, there is also the downside of this migration in that many of these out of staters are coming from very liberal states, and are bringing that mindset with them. Still, if the industries that are tired of having the president screw them over decide to locate here, there is definitely an available and eager work force.

Ludwig
January 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
We will see how big the cajones are when the "Feds" cut off some funding as "punishment."

IronErnin
January 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I remember some legislata, some time before that aimed to protect Texas firearms manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits because someone sued the maker of a gun that was used to kill/ wound someone.

Mestral
January 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2013/01/23/house_freshman_files_gun_bill.html/
My observation: Rep. Krause, we are pretty sure the feds know where Texas stands.:)) In July 2011, Gov Perry promised a big Texas Howdy-Welcome to any incandescent light bulb factory that wanted to move in here and manufacture bulbs. Don't know if that ever happened, but can you imagine the coolness of weapons made in Texas for Texans? Folks, we don't need this secession nonsense. We are the State of Texas operating Intrastate Commerce. I'm seeing opportunity all over the state.I am in complete agreement with this. Of course, it may only be necessary to manufacture a couple of critical parts, and then assemble the whole here, to make it legal.

We will see how big the cajones are when the "Feds" cut off some funding as "punishment."
Well, then, were back to secession again, aren't we.

Grammar Rules
January 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Well, then, were back to secession again, aren't we.

We didn't secede when they cut off our Medicaid funding or when they threatened highway funding a while back over a speed limit. We aren't going anywhere. :rolleyes

Mestral
January 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM
We didn't secede when they cut off our Medicaid funding or when they threatened highway funding a while back over a speed limit. We aren't going anywhere. :rolleyesIt would depend on how much funding was at risk. And for what cause. I might find it interesting to be an expatriate (SP?) for the last few of my years, except that I have other plans.

Grammar Rules
January 26th, 2013, 3:14 PM
It would depend on how much funding was at risk. And for what cause. I might find it interesting to be an expatriate (SP?) for the last few of my years, except that I have other plans.

Expatriate is the correct term for one who leaves the country. I inadvertently insulted my high school friend who lives in South America when I referred to her social group of Nortamericanos as the Expatriates. She thought it meant ex-patriots, as in people who no longer love the USA. She's been gone far too long. :))

But I was referring to us as Texans as in we aren't going anywhere as a State or country: not seceding.

I wouldn't live outside the US myself, but many Expat communities thrive elsewhere. My friend and her Expats have 4th of July picnics in their winter season and Christmas in their summer. Not for me.

Mestral
January 26th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Expatriate is the correct term for one who leaves the country. I inadvertently insulted my high school friend who lives in South America when I referred to her social group of Nortamericanos as the Expatriates. She thought it meant ex-patriots, as in people who no longer love the USA. She's been gone far too long. :))

But I was referring to us as Texans as in we aren't going anywhere as a State or country: not seceding.

I wouldn't live outside the US myself, but many Expat communities thrive elsewhere. My friend and her Expats have 4th of July picnics in their winter season and Christmas in their summer. Not for me.I was attempting to be subtle, something I am not good at. If we secede, and I stayed here, I would then be an expatriate of the Disorganized States of Obama. (No subtly there, I hope.)

sojourner truth
January 26th, 2013, 6:21 PM
Texas will never secede. No one would dare overturn the 2nd amendment. Nope...never happen.

The Titanic is unsinkable.

I have to remind myself that the Titanic was built by professionals and the Ark was built by an amatuer. The only difference was the contractor.

Mestral
January 26th, 2013, 6:23 PM
What is more, as someone on another forum recently pointed out, people on the Titanic were going about their lives, certain that nothing bad would happen, 10 minutes before they struck the iceberg. Then everything changed.

gnatsum
January 31st, 2013, 6:51 PM
If we secede, then we throw away the opportunity to VOTE FOR Obama's successor...

(brain did a major shift in thinking just now, and starting wondering, vis-a-vis the city of Killeen's recent experience, about what our Constitution says about the possiblity of a national recall election...)

IronErnin
January 31st, 2013, 7:19 PM
I don't think there is a provision for a national recall election. Which is just as well, because such a thing would be uber difficult to arrange. Plus, it necessarily have to involve the Congress and/ or the courts.

Mestral
February 1st, 2013, 8:07 AM
There is NO provision in our national Constitution for national recall election (which is done after a vote of "no confidense" in other countries) save for the one found in the 2nd Amendment. However, if we follow the original intent of the founders, our Senator serves at the pleasure of our state government, and they can recall him or her. I believe, also, that there is a process in TX Constitution to recall our Representatives, but I am not sure. The President and all other elected officials of the US government, and also judges are recalled though the impeachment process.

Now, if we could move this topic back under secession, and get this one back on the possibility of local manufacture of guns and parts. Especially magazines.