PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to get the Ellison job?

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 2:24 PM
Just curious, the job closes or has closed recently, I think it is somewhat of a sleeping giant with a good deal of resources relatively speaking of course for the area and thinking of how the KISD schools are watered down. Couple of names I have heard just in conversation that have at least applied for the job or thought about it, David Gaskamp (OC from KHS), Richard Daniels (KHS), Johnnie Fair some san antonio school), David Winbush (San Antonio Reagan), and Rob Hagey (Heights) anyone have any other names to share? It is all in fun, knowing KISD they will likely hire out of state or somewhere else that's an uncommon practice based on past history. What if Coach Showers came back?

Scarlett
January 8th, 2013, 2:29 PM
Are you a talking about the CIS job? If so, the last two times that opened it went to a teacher on campus.

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 2:32 PM
Lol no, as the head ball coach.

CenTexDave
January 8th, 2013, 2:35 PM
Is that the same David Winbush who, I believe, played at Ellison and then later for Univ of Kansas?

Scarlett
January 8th, 2013, 2:37 PM
Lol no, as the head ball coach.

Ohhhhhhh. Who cares? Lol

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 2:43 PM
Is that the same David Winbush who, I believe, played at Ellison and then later for Univ of Kansas?

Sure is, played for their quarter final or semi finals team

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 2:47 PM
Ohhhhhhh. Who cares? Lol You should if you teach there, I think the head ball coach and principal have a large say in a positive or negative campus environment.

Scarlett
January 8th, 2013, 2:50 PM
You should if you teach there, I think the head ball coach and principal have a large say in a positive or negative campus environment.

Interesting take on it I suppose.

Scarlett
January 8th, 2013, 2:53 PM
I know several assistant coaches are waiting to see who gets it. It will determine if we have a lot of job openings next year that's for sure.

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 3:02 PM
I know several assistant coaches are waiting to see who gets it. It will determine if we have a lot of job openings next year that's for sure.

Typically, at most schools, especially KISD the assistant coaches stay. It is to massive a transition with to little pay to ask others to leave and others to follow. Now I do know that some coaches will be run off depending on how soon who ever it is gets the job and others will want to leave and pursue other interests particularly younger coaches or those without families or ties to the area. The Coordinators usually leave or take lesser roles, happened to (James) Showers when coach gray retired/fired last year. It will be a tough sell for anyone since they have wallowed in mediocrity as of late.

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 3:06 PM
Interesting take on it I suppose.

I think so, have you ever noticed schools that establish a winning tradition in multiple sports seem to have better grades and are less problematic within the classroom? Now I am certain that there is some type of socioeconomic interference in there as well, but I think the overall morale of the school is better when the head ball coach has all of the other head coaches at the school as well as their players in tune as to what is and is not going to fly within the school. I think it is even better when the principal and coach are working together to create a harmonious atmosphere.

sojourner truth
January 8th, 2013, 3:42 PM
Didn't Winbush also play in the CFL for a while?

xzochye
January 8th, 2013, 3:56 PM
Typically, at most schools, especially KISD the assistant coaches stay. It is to massive a transition with to little pay to ask others to leave and others to follow. Now I do know that some coaches will be run off depending on how soon who ever it is gets the job and others will want to leave and pursue other interests particularly younger coaches or those without families or ties to the area. The Coordinators usually leave or take lesser roles, happened to (James) Showers when coach gray retired/fired last year. It will be a tough sell for anyone since they have wallowed in mediocrity as of late.

Showers left SHS at the end of last year. He took a job in Alpine as head football coach and athletic director. He is pretty happy right now so it's doubtful that he would apply for a job at Ellison.

sojourner truth
January 8th, 2013, 5:50 PM
Whoever gets the job will be going for the money. There definitely isn't a whole lot of glory there, and the program has a bunch of hard work ahead to get it back on track.

Hope they get someone that doesn't run the same guy up the middle time after time every play.

onetime
January 8th, 2013, 7:01 PM
Showers left SHS at the end of last year. He took a job in Alpine as head football coach and athletic director. He is pretty happy right now so it's doubtful that he would apply for a job at Ellison.

I thought it was outside of Houston, if it is alpine then I would be surprised if he stayed there.

xzochye
January 8th, 2013, 7:03 PM
I thought it was outside of Houston, if it is alpine then I would be surprised if he stayed there.

It is. Sorry, that should be Aldine not Alpine.

CenTexDave
January 8th, 2013, 8:13 PM
Aldine sounds better. They have produced some good programs and teams down there.
Alpine? Doubt anyone would stay there if they could coach at 5-A.

onetime
January 9th, 2013, 9:28 PM
So I take that no one has any insider information?

cuatro
January 10th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Job closed on Monday at midnight. Here's an article about the search. 91 candidates! WOW! http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/schools/ellison_eagles/football/ellison-coach-search-nets-candidates/article_e916cd9c-5ae3-11e2-af0b-001a4bcf6878.html

RooDawg
January 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Job is down to 3 candidates says Killeen Daily Herald on their twitter feed...From 91 to 3 in a couple of days...wow!...so much for going a couple of rounds...or did they?

Half-Full
January 17th, 2013, 5:20 PM
http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/schools/ellison_eagles/football/ellison-names-trent-gregory-football-coach/article_fff0b4da-60ef-11e2-b2cd-0019bb30f31a.html

Anyone know this guy?

olderthandirt
January 17th, 2013, 5:34 PM
His win/ loss record doesn't seem very impressive. It's sad that a 39-64 record is better than what Ellison currently has experienced.

cnjbond
January 17th, 2013, 6:50 PM
His win/ loss record doesn't seem very impressive. It's sad that a 39-64 record is better than what Ellison currently has experienced.

I guess that keeps the expectations down...

Scarlett
January 17th, 2013, 7:07 PM
http://www.kwtx.com/_254sports/high/headlines/Ellison-Names-New-Head-Football-Coach-187362401.html?mobile=yes&device=android

Coach from Leander got the job.

onetime
January 17th, 2013, 7:31 PM
Well it seems as if old KISD got it wrong again, I do not hope for epic failure on any body, but I think that you can see from the last three hires that KISD is about as good at hiring and finding talent as Michael Jordan. They routinely take the easiest route the guy who has a winning percentage slightly above 35% as a head coach in a thin thin thin school district. Why not do like so many other school districts do and hire within or even somebody that has worked in the area, NOPE, let us find the first guy the talks a good game. I bet if you were to take Killeen out of the mix this school district would be right up there with the inner city Austin Schools that stink. Well lets cross our fingers, anyone know what kind of offensive and defensive scheme this guy will bring with him?

onetime
January 17th, 2013, 7:37 PM
KISD GETS IT WRONG AGAIN, bringing in a middle of the road guy with career losing record that has bounced around. The guy was the offensive line coach for crying out loud, there were no other applicants?

CenTexDave
January 17th, 2013, 8:09 PM
Maybe. But seriously, guys, those high schools in Austin never have good records. Now Leander Vandergrift and Mansfield Timberview are good programs.
If he just makes them competitive in the first year or two you ought to be happy.

cnjbond
January 17th, 2013, 8:31 PM
anyone know what kind of offensive and defensive scheme this guy will bring with him?
Apparently not a very successful one.

sojourner truth
January 17th, 2013, 8:40 PM
I suppose we all need to give the guy a chance and see what he can do with the team. Who knows, he may be great.

The problem with the way things usually go in these cases is that despite performance, a new coach will be given x number of years to get things back on track, bring in an assistant staff with them, and are very hard to part with if they don't measure up.

Still, it would behoove us to watch what the man can do, and only support him as best we can. I hope, for the kids sake, that he can be successful...Go Eagles.

Yve
January 17th, 2013, 8:49 PM
Change brings hope.

As a parent to a former Eagle and fan to many others, it was very difficult to watch the same plays over, and over, and over, and over...and to see our boys frustrated.

corgifan
January 17th, 2013, 9:10 PM
Change brings hope.

Not a good quote for this "forum!"

onetime
January 17th, 2013, 9:18 PM
Maybe. But seriously, guys, those high schools in Austin never have good records. Now Leander Vandergrift and Mansfield Timberview are good programs.
If he just makes them competitive in the first year or two you ought to be happy.

Good point, but as I said earlier those schools are like these schools here in KISD. So he would be about like a todd mcveigh or Mullins tenure ala Heights. Losing is losing is losing, odd how KHS pulls it out yearly.

onetime
January 17th, 2013, 9:22 PM
Lol, I just wonder. Kids tend to buy into stuff that are both successful and entertaining, that wing-t stuff would have been great had they had a tremendous amount of success but since they stunk the kids out there said I rather shoot hoops then put up with this blocking crap as a wideout.

Yve
January 17th, 2013, 9:38 PM
Not a good quote for this "forum!"

I wasn't linking it to the elections. I was talking real, honest to goodness change giving hope in the every day sense of the word. I don't want to get started on how our language gets bastardized by slogans and catch phrases, and I refuse to give up "hope" or "change" from my vocabulary because it was used for a Presidential campaign. I also refuse to give up the work "engage" from my vocabulary because Schlecty bastardized it. No hidden agendas here.

When one has been in a losing position for so long, having a change will give the parents and kids an uplift, at least for a season.

siamcat
January 17th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I don't know football, but there were many candidates and Ellison decided that this person would be a good fit. It's not all about win/loss record. Let's give this person a chance before doubting.

1962bc
January 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM
And, another old Ellison Coach is on the move again. Robert Walker, who has been at East Central in SA, takes the job at Conroe. Walker was the coach of the best Ellison teams ever in the late 90's. Probably, the last KISD coach to beat Cove.

RooDawg
January 18th, 2013, 9:12 AM
39-64 record as a head coach...this was the best candidate in the minds of the hiring committee...

DiamondKing
January 18th, 2013, 9:56 AM
I hope Coach Gregory does well, but it is sad that this was possibly the best candidate that applied. Surely there was a coach with a winning record that applied and that has had some success. If not what does that say and if so why were they not at least in the final 3.

cuatro
January 18th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Coach Gregory deserves the benefit of the doubt, and also some time before everyone on here starts bashing him and this process. He inherited a team in Austin, that was not successful and was able to coach them to the first district championship in school history, as well as going to the playoffs 2 or 3 other times. He was also a coach on a team that won a state championship. recently as a coach in Mansfield and at Vandergrift, teams he coached on have been district champions in track ( of which he was a coach) and also traveled to the football playoffs 3 years. Wins and losses tell a story, but so does the entire picture. From what I have heard, he is an outstanding leader, an educator that wants students to be successful on and off the field, as well as a big community supporter. Let's not throw him out before he gets on campus...Geez!

cuatro
January 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
This was my response to some negative posts about the new hire on the "High School Football" thread:

Coach Gregory deserves the benefit of the doubt, and also some time before everyone on here starts bashing him and this process. He inherited a team in Austin, that was not successful and was able to coach them to the first district championship in school history, as well as going to the playoffs 2 or 3 other times. He was also a coach on a team that won a state championship. recently as a coach in Mansfield and at Vandergrift, teams he coached on have been district champions in track ( of which he was a coach) and also traveled to the football playoffs 3 years. Wins and losses tell a story, but so does the entire picture. From what I have heard, he is an outstanding leader, an educator that wants students to be successful on and off the field, as well as a big community supporter. Let's not throw him out before he gets on campus...Geez!

sojourner truth
January 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Thanx Cuatro...I was about to say the same thing...It's a done deal now, and I would only wish coach all the success in the world. Let's give the guy a chance and see what he can do. Even one win in a season is an improvemnet when you think about it, as much as we would like to go to state. To pan the guys if he doesn't create a champion team from jump street isn't the answer either.

The only aspect that bothers me about these hirings is that any new coach will be given x number of years to make "changes" that work, and is pretty much locked in despite progress. Not like we need to can the poor guy if he doesn't produce a winner straight out of the gate, but at least take note of progress and see where he makes it.

I think we all should give him a shot...who knows he may surprise all of us. We Eagle fans sure hope so...Go Eagles.

CenTexDave
January 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Change brings hope.

As a parent to a former Eagle and fan to many others, it was very difficult to watch the same plays over, and over, and over, and over...and to see our boys frustrated.

Ahhh yes, more hope and change. :))

CenTexDave
January 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
And, another old Ellison Coach is on the move again. Robert Walker, who has been at East Central in SA, takes the job at Conroe. Walker was the coach of the best Ellison teams ever in the late 90's. Probably, the last KISD coach to beat Cove.
Yes he was. Believe that was 1998. Ellison was ranked #1 in the state, had stopped Austin Westlake's 30+ game winning streak that year. Had Tommie Lee Harris as a force on the defense. They demolished Cove, but Cove beat Temple the next week to get to the playoffs for the first time in 28 years. Then Ellison immediately lost their first playoff
game. Cove managed to go all the way to the Regional Finals before losing to eventual state champ Midland Lee and a kid named Cedric Benson.

xzochye
January 18th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Yes he was. Believe that was 1998. Ellison was ranked #1 in the state, had stopped Austin Westlake's 30+ game winning streak that year. Had Tommie Lee Harris as a force on the defense. They demolished Cove, but Cove beat Temple the next week to get to the playoffs for the first time in 28 years. Then Ellison immediately lost their first playoff
game. Cove managed to go all the way to the Regional Finals before losing to eventual state champ Midland Lee and a kid named Cedric Benson.

How on earth do you remember all that!

RooDawg
January 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
My comment was only to point out the record, not to criticize the man. I am sure he will do his best. My comment was to point out that out of 91 applicants, a man whose head coaching record was 39-64 (that's at least 10 years worth of head coaching) was the best man our district thought could lead ellison. That intrigues me.

EasyRider
January 18th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Did I read the newspaper story correctly? Was this coach at the high school where our new KISD Dep Sup was the principal?

EasyRider
January 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
So if I'm reading this story correctly (in the KDH) Coach Gregory was coaching at Mansfield Timberview in 08-09. Dep Sup Craft was the principal of Mansfield Timberview 08-10. Dep Sup Craft was in charge of the hiring committee. So Dep Sup Craft basically hired one of his former coaches. Coach Gregory had the inside track from the very beginning. I'm not saying he is not a great coach, I wish him the best of luck.

I hope that all of our current KISD football coaches were given equal consideration. I also hope that minority coaches were given equal consideration.

ChattyMe
January 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I'm very excited to watch Eagle football this coming season and encourage the team as I always do. I hope this coach makes a difference in these young men's lives on and off the field.

EasyRider
January 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
If I am looking at his record right, he did win a district championship, but then in his last three years his teams record was won 6, lost 24. What happened? If a coach lucks into a great player or a group of players, he can win even if he is a mediocre coach. The test is can he win with average players by designing imaginative and effective strategies and game plans and motivating average players to be great?

I do wish Coach Gregory the best of luck at EHS.

2old2teach
January 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I don't know football, but there were many candidates and Ellison decided that this person would be a good fit. It's not all about win/loss record. Let's give this person a chance before doubting.

Evidently it is all about the win/loss record....otherwise McBryde would not have felt the pressure to resign and move on.

CenTexDave
January 18th, 2013, 1:41 PM
How on earth do you remember all that!

I'm a walking encyclopedia of Dawg football. :))
I remember the real bad times too.

CenTexDave
January 18th, 2013, 1:46 PM
I agree with you.
Jack Welch, year after year, turns out good teams with some good talent, but not great talent most of the time.
An RGIII, Tanner Brock, Vontez Duff, etc., comes along once every 5-10 years. It's the average players who make the team, and he motivates them and uses good technique to get them to produce.

EasyRider
January 18th, 2013, 2:17 PM
Evidently it is all about the win/loss record....otherwise McBryde would not have felt the pressure to resign and move on.

It wasn't just the win/loss record. It was aso a sense that the former coach was not very good at building relationships with players, parents, alumni, and the EHS staff. Motivation, teamwork, and community are a big part of a winning program. Kids have to believe they can win and believe that the head coach really cares about them. Also, being able to design winning game plans even with average players.

cuatro
January 18th, 2013, 2:27 PM
So if I'm reading this story correctly (in the KDH) Coach Gregory was coaching at Mansfield Timberview in 08-09. Dep Sup Craft was the principal of Mansfield Timberview 08-10. Dep Sup Craft was in charge of the hiring committee. So Dep Sup Craft basically hired one of his former coaches. Coach Gregory had the inside track from the very beginning. I'm not saying he is not a great coach, I wish him the best of luck.

I hope that all of our current KISD football coaches were given equal consideration. I also hope that minority coaches were given equal consideration.

I know from experience that in the coaching and teaching world, lots of connections are made. I have been on several hiring committees where I knew some of the candidates quite well. However, I made my decision on who I thought should be selected based on that candidate meeting the requirements as well as being a good fit for the job. As a matter of fact, some people whom I knew quite well were NOT the choice of the panel, including me, as we all felt they were not the right fit. That is why there is a hiring committee...not just one person. Just because the Dr. Craft knew the coach did not, in any way, make him a shoe-in. There were LOTS of people on the hiring committee, and from what I have heard, they were all top-notch candidates. Apparently, Coach Gregory met the criteria of the job, and was determined to be a good fit for Ellison High School.

I believe lots of people were given consideration, and I, for one, am glad to get new and exciting blood infused into the program at Ellison...a program that has stagnated and has not lived up to the potential of the players in it. Good Luck, Coach!

Rick
January 18th, 2013, 4:36 PM
I merged these two threads into the sports section because, well, reading the same things in both threads was killing me...haha

Night Owl
January 18th, 2013, 5:15 PM
Why would anyone want an in district hire? The district isn't a powerhouse in football.

CenTexDave
January 18th, 2013, 6:19 PM
I don't think it's all the head coaches' fault at these schools either. The district is constantly redrawing attendance zones and that includes what middle school/junior high feeds into each high school.

siamcat
January 18th, 2013, 6:27 PM

I think that having two seasons in a row with no wins is an indicator that it's not working. Everybody can have a bad season, but I wonder how many coaches had that happen.

It made me wonder though when I read about the connection with one of the people hiring him. To be honest though it happens in every work place. You know somebody who knows somebody and you have the inside track.
Best of luck to EHS and I hope the new coach works out great.

xzochye
January 18th, 2013, 9:18 PM
I don't think it's all the head coaches' fault at these schools either. The district is constantly redrawing attendance zones and that includes what middle school/junior high feeds into each high school.

Not to mention how mobile the district as a whole is.

CenTexDave
January 19th, 2013, 6:31 AM
True. Having 4 high schools doesn't help either.

onetime
January 19th, 2013, 10:07 AM

:?

onetime
January 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I hope Coach Gregory does well, but it is sad that this was possibly the best candidate that applied. Surely there was a coach with a winning record that applied and that has had some success. If not what does that say and if so why were they not at least in the final 3.

KISD is stuck in perpetual stupidness, those that hire truly believe that this is a plum job around the state when it really is just a middle of the road, bounce back, or stepping stone job. I would compare the position to getting hired as the head coach of Iowa State in college football, no one goes there unless it is there first job, been fired somewhere else and bouncing back, or it is simply better then where they were before hand. This guy falls into that middle of the road pack where it does not really matter if he wins or loses (of course he wants to win) but if he loses it doesn't kill him. If he wins he steps up to a better job elsewhere with better resources and community support. I do not know if there is a worse place in Texas, minus major city schools for family support.

onetime
January 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM

What an easy choice, KISD rarely steps out of the box and hires unknown's the last time they did that was Sam Jones over at KHS, look how that has turned out the guy has been here since the early 90s and will likely retire at the school. I would like to see what he could do over at Ellison with much more resources and aid from parents then he likely gets at KHS.

onetime
January 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Did I read the newspaper story correctly? Was this coach at the high school where our new KISD Dep Sup was the principal?

If that is the case then it all makes sense, I would also like to point out that I am no bashing this guy, but those that hire. Is it called a good ole boy system or ole boy system?

onetime
January 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
If I am looking at his record right, he did win a district championship, but then in his last three years his teams record was won 6, lost 24. What happened? If a coach lucks into a great player or a group of players, he can win even if he is a mediocre coach. The test is can he win with average players by designing imaginative and effective strategies and game plans and motivating average players to be great?

I do wish Coach Gregory the best of luck at EHS.

So true, I think that Cove is a testament to that statement. They have been a good team over the last decade and change but when they have a transitional player or two they are really good. The point is that they never fall completely off the map.

onetime
January 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM
It wasn't just the win/loss record. It was aso a sense that the former coach was not very good at building relationships with players, parents, alumni, and the EHS staff. Motivation, teamwork, and community are a big part of a winning program. Kids have to believe they can win and believe that the head coach really cares about them. Also, being able to design winning game plans even with average players.

Easy rider I have agreed with you on every point you have made on this topic but this one. It is all about wins and loses in 99% of all situations. Arkansas would have kept Bobby Petrino if they knew they could get out of the situation of not getting sued for his hiring of his mistress (BECAUSE HE WON), John Calipari (Kentucky BB) has left every program he's had in scandal yet someone is always willing to hire him because he wins. Nick Saban revokes scholarships at the drop of a dime yet no one mentions that because he wins. Charlle Weiss has gotten two jobs solely off the success of New England. The only head scratching instance I can think of a successful coach getting fired has been Kansas and Texas Tech although they both probably should have been fired for what they were accused of but it was just so against the grain and surprising.

onetime
January 20th, 2013, 5:30 PM
http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/gregory-emerged-as-special-one-in-interviews/article_5ee13b1c-62d1-11e2-bf92-001a4bcf6878.html

If this guy fails then I think the hiring committee should be re-evaluated, I like Tom, but the good old boy system has got to be put to rest, whether that be due to race, age, or old fashioned back room handshakes. This guy honestly is around the lower tier of those mentioned in the paper.

Night Owl
January 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM
But they compromised.

cuatro
January 21st, 2013, 10:32 AM
You cannot judge on records alone or compare districts as apples to apples. It just doesn't work. Furthermore, you cannot know how each of the candidates did in the interview. Again...that's why it's a committee, there is multiple criteria that goes into the selection. I hear all the time people complaining that KISD just hires from within (that's how Ellison got Buddy, and his coordinators) so they go outside of the district, and it's a good ole boy hire. Please! As I've already stated, in the coaching world as well as education, there are LOTS of paths that cross. I don't think this was a good ole boy hire. I think after all the criteria was applied, Coach Gregory was found to be the best fit. Give the man a chance! Lord have mercy!

cnjbond
January 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
None of us where on the hiring committee but I have to tell you from the outside looking in, the other candidates must have been stuttering and drooling on themselves for Coach Gregory to have been found to be the best fit. What exactly does best fit mean? Someone who's going to make everything but football a priority? If that's what the committee was looking for then more power to them. The perfect fit (IMHO) is that coach that can stress academics and balance the two. I wish him well and hope there's more to him than his win loss record indicates...besides, KHS beating EHS EVERY year is getting old! ;)

Go Roos '91

sickofpc
January 21st, 2013, 2:33 PM
This guys probably knows his football..is he a Messiah? no...a miracle worker
? no...can he be a Jack Welch? no, he can't...he won't have the control that Welch has, the support, or the talent.....What support at Ellison were you referring to?...really?....in fact, what support at any of the KISD schools....look at the size of the crowds, compared to the the times when we were only Ellison and KHS...the size of the bands, the quality...the quality of our teams comparitively.....If he wins, he willl be a great guy...if he loses, he will be a jerk..that is just the way it is....Funny thing, one of the winningest guys ever at Ellison was thought to be a great guy by most in the fan base....to put it simply, he wasn't..but, he won...so, he was "a great guy, and a great coach"....those in the know, knew he wasn't, and wasn't here long....he got the job done, with a ton of talent, but...enough said.... You don't put a show pony in the Kentucky Derby...and expect to win..even if you have the best trainer in the world....and ...you don't expect to win....just because of a coach..it is always a combination of things....administration support, talent, numbers, a successful, smart program in place, good assistant coaches, community support, faculty support and loyalty, a caring student body, positive press, talent......on and on.... Calipari, Saban, Coach K...great coaches..great people...right? People don't have any idea what goes on in those programs, those huddles, those meetings, what is said to those players, those practices...no idea. I had better stop now...said too much already. BTW, going back to Welch, I am not a big fan, but, do admire his ability to win and somewhat envy the control he has maintained all this time....funny, how some people in Cove hate him for the various reasons...all I know is ..before him, Cove was a joke...an easy homecoming game....nothing to worry about........but, ...not any more. KISD would never allow a coach to have the control that Welch has at Cove....I know that.

CenTexDave
January 21st, 2013, 4:16 PM
This guy is dead meat before he even takes over according to you guys.
And while everyone in Dawg Land admires Welch's coaching abilities, there are many who thinks he has way too much power.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is dead meat before he even takes over according to you guys.
And while everyone in Dawg Land admires Welch's coaching abilities, there are many who thinks he has way too much power.

onetime
January 21st, 2013, 4:40 PM
You cannot judge on records alone or compare districts as apples to apples. It just doesn't work. Furthermore, you cannot know how each of the candidates did in the interview. Again...that's why it's a committee, there is multiple criteria that goes into the selection. I hear all the time people complaining that KISD just hires from within (that's how Ellison got Buddy, and his coordinators) so they go outside of the district, and it's a good ole boy hire. Please! As I've already stated, in the coaching world as well as education, there are LOTS of paths that cross. I don't think this was a good ole boy hire. I think after all the criteria was applied, Coach Gregory was found to be the best fit. Give the man a chance! Lord have mercy!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but buddy was hired under completely different circumstances. His boss left pretty rapidly, I might be wrong but I do not think that he was there for a considerably long time either. Ellison was not the mecca of success either when boyd left either, I said hire someone from KHS staff, surely someone over there wants to be a head coach. Can someone verify that please, to your other points coaching is coaching is coaching, while I do agree with your statement about wins and losses being relative, the man won for a few years and then loss mightily for several years. If his old boss is not on the committee then the guy does not even make it to the interview process. The guy does not even hold a master's degree in a position that most people have to have one for the whole thing is fishy. I wish the man success, but I think Tom and those in charge should be held accountable if they deliver another stinker of a hire. Mullins has been a bust for the most part as he can't reproduce the success he had at Cameron Yoe, it is to early to make a judgment on the Shoemaker coach, but I think he has one or two more years to see whether he can build programs or do programs build him.

xzochye
January 21st, 2013, 5:33 PM
it is to early to make a judgment on the Shoemaker coach, but I think he has one or two more years to see whether he can build programs or do programs build him.

Everyone is expecting a better year next year at SHS. The team has improved each year under Coach Hall. Next year the team will be all his. All of Coach Gray's kids are leaving this year.

onetime
January 21st, 2013, 5:43 PM
This guys probably knows his football..is he a Messiah? no...a miracle worker
? no...can he be a Jack Welch? no, he can't...he won't have the control that Welch has, the support, or the talent.....What support at Ellison were you referring to?...really?....in fact, what support at any of the KISD schools....look at the size of the crowds, compared to the the times when we were only Ellison and KHS...the size of the bands, the quality...the quality of our teams comparitively.....If he wins, he willl be a great guy...if he loses, he will be a jerk..that is just the way it is....Funny thing, one of the winningest guys ever at Ellison was thought to be a great guy by most in the fan base....to put it simply, he wasn't..but, he won...so, he was "a great guy, and a great coach"....those in the know, knew he wasn't, and wasn't here long....he got the job done, with a ton of talent, but...enough said.... You don't put a show pony in the Kentucky Derby...and expect to win..even if you have the best trainer in the world....and ...you don't expect to win....just because of a coach..it is always a combination of things....administration support, talent, numbers, a successful, smart program in place, good assistant coaches, community support, faculty support and loyalty, a caring student body, positive press, talent......on and on.... Calipari, Saban, Coach K...great coaches..great people...right? People don't have any idea what goes on in those programs, those huddles, those meetings, what is said to those players, those practices...no idea. I had better stop now...said too much already. BTW, going back to Welch, I am not a big fan, but, do admire his ability to win and somewhat envy the control he has maintained all this time....funny, how some people in Cove hate him for the various reasons...all I know is ..before him, Cove was a joke...an easy homecoming game....nothing to worry about........but, ...not any more. KISD would never allow a coach to have the control that Welch has at Cove....I know that.

Very well said, but honestly it has less to do with this guy and more to do with the committee that hires folks around here.

DiamondKing
January 21st, 2013, 5:58 PM
What do some of those people on the committee know about football?

Night Owl
January 21st, 2013, 6:41 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but buddy was hired under completely different circumstances. His boss left pretty rapidly, I might be wrong but I do not think that he was there for a considerably long time either. Ellison was not the mecca of success either when boyd left either, I said hire someone from KHS staff, surely someone over there wants to be a head coach. Can someone verify that please, to your other points coaching is coaching is coaching, while I do agree with your statement about wins and losses being relative, the man won for a few years and then loss mightily for several years. If his old boss is not on the committee then the guy does not even make it to the interview process. The guy does not even hold a master's degree in a position that most people have to have one for the whole thing is fishy. I wish the man success, but I think Tom and those in charge should be held accountable if they deliver another stinker of a hire. Mullins has been a bust for the most part as he can't reproduce the success he had at Cameron Yoe, it is to early to make a judgment on the Shoemaker coach, but I think he has one or two more years to see whether he can build programs or do programs build him.
I want to be a head coach. I want the job but my wants don't count and neither does the current Ellison staff. How about we compromise?

RooDawg
January 27th, 2013, 8:56 AM
Sam Jones had no connection to anyone on the hiring committee when he was hired as head coach at Killeen High. He was the defensive coordinator though. Mullins had connections to Tom Rogers before he was hired at Heights. I believe that they coached together. If not that then I do know that Mullins and Tom's brother, Ross Rogers were on the same staff. Channon Hall at Shoemaker has connections to Tom as well as they were on the same coaching staff together at Heights before Tom left for administration. Now, regardless if this has any meat to it or not, the fact is that Deputy Superintendent Craft was a principal at Timberview when Gregory was there. He has no master's degree which was a requirement for the job and his record was suspect. He did go to the playoffs in 3 out of the 10 years he was a head coach at Austin Anderson but does anyone know AISD and their athletic district? It is pitiful. Add in to the fact that there were some very qualified and successful coaches that didn't even make it to the finals (Seally coach with playoff appearances that last 10 years must have really bombed the initial interview)

I never would have questioned this hire if it weren't for those facts. I wish Coach Gregory good luck and hopefully I can continue to not have to worry about Ellison when they play my Roos.

RooDawg
January 27th, 2013, 8:59 AM
And let me say this. I do not DISAGREE that coaches should be hired based on who they know. I do believe that they should be hired based on what they know as well.

Mullins has been successful prior to him coming to Heights. Hall was a desperate hire because the district pulled the trigger late on Coach Gray. This was an opportunity for the district to go through the hiring process and demonstrate how committed they are to athletics in KISD. I don't know if this hire did that.