PDA

View Full Version : Rearranging things

Rick
January 6th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I am moving the forums around, trying to arrange them so that they,

1. Make sense
2. Make the forum home page a little more condensed by using subforums.

Does this cause any problems for anyone?

What are your opinions of how this looks now?

Scarlett
January 6th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I don't like religion being up by politics.

Rick
January 6th, 2013, 11:19 AM
No problem, I put it back under Miscellaneous.

Maybe it needs it's own category?

pioneer
January 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
don't like that you have to click each area to know if there is new posts

Scarlett
January 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Comma left hanging! (by politics)

Grammar Rules
January 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM

On my screen, I have a blue bar right below the big CENTEXTALK.COM label, and just under "TALK" is a "New Posts?" button. Click that, and all the new posts in any category come up.

xzochye
January 6th, 2013, 1:12 PM
On my screen, I have a blue bar right below the big CENTEXTALK.COM label, and just under "TALK" is a "New Posts?" button. Click that, and all the new posts in any category come up.

This is what I use all the time. :)

Rick
January 6th, 2013, 1:54 PM
The little blue bubble indicates that there is a new post in that topic.

Rick
January 6th, 2013, 1:56 PM
Comma left hanging! (by politics)
That's how I test if teachers are paying attention. :))

pioneer
January 6th, 2013, 2:15 PM
thanks

finalbowser
January 6th, 2013, 6:12 PM
As long as "Man Steals Pigs on Motorcycle" stays on the Home page, I am happy.

Rick
January 6th, 2013, 6:16 PM
That was the Content Management page. I would like to get that organized as well.

circle_c
January 6th, 2013, 6:24 PM
Still trying to figure out why I get an info atoms add in the bottom right hand corner of the forum from time to time when I go to new posts. Had it for a while thought it might resolve it self. I have a social network tracking me, but it's says it is blocked on this site, as it should be.

Rick
January 6th, 2013, 6:25 PM
I haven't ever seen anything like that. It's not from here.

circle_c
January 6th, 2013, 6:49 PM
Yeah, sure it's not, picked it up somewhere probably FB or sumpin. I'll figure it out when I least expect it.

Rick
January 7th, 2013, 7:20 AM
I'm still experimenting with rearranging things.

I broke out the more popular forums so that the main page shows the latest topic.

Bear with me...:))

Night Owl
January 7th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Guns need to be closer to NASCAR.:))

RockinRita
January 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Guns need to be closer to NASCAR.:))

Preceded by religion???

Night Owl
January 7th, 2013, 5:25 PM
YES!!!!! Religion, NASCAR, and GUNS!!!!!!:))

Scarlett
January 7th, 2013, 5:40 PM
YES!!!!! Religion, NASCAR, and GUNS!!!!!!:))

Just start a topic called DEEP REDNECK SOUTH and put them all there...

kantwin
January 7th, 2013, 5:53 PM
Just start a topic called DEEP REDNECK SOUTH and put them all there...

Hey, I represent - er, resent that.

Night Owl
January 7th, 2013, 6:04 PM
So do I.:))

kantwin
January 7th, 2013, 6:14 PM

I'm living in that deep redneck south...Hard to get much more south than the UCLA.

Night Owl
January 7th, 2013, 6:20 PM
And you love it!!!!:))

kantwin
January 7th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Dang right.

siamcat
January 7th, 2013, 10:12 PM
The new site looks good. It's also still really fast:07:.
Thank you Rick.

circle_c
January 8th, 2013, 6:29 AM
I have noticed little if any interruptions whil you have been rearranging. Its a breeze moving about on the forum compared to what it was before with delays and all. You deserve a hand for you efforts.. here's are a couple for now...:clap Thank you sir..

Rick
January 8th, 2013, 6:46 AM
Thanks, I still have to do the software upgrade. That'll require shutting it down for an hour or so.

The new host is awesome.

ClickaNerd
January 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I'm still experimenting with rearranging things.

I broke out the more popular forums so that the main page shows the latest topic.

Bear with me...:))

My primary monitor is set to: 1280 x 1024 and your website is easy to read and use under that aspect ratio.

If you would like, I can have my nerds take screan shots under various browsers and sizes and make a report.

Rick
January 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks, but I don't think we need that. I use different computers between work, home, laptop, tablet and phone, and with the exception of the ad, it displays fine.

xzochye
January 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM

That explains you liking UT!

Night Owl
January 8th, 2013, 1:01 PM
I am slowly changing my mind. Austin and the university is getting way to liberal for my liking.

Rick
January 8th, 2013, 1:21 PM
Getting?

Mestral
January 13th, 2013, 3:03 PM
I don't know what it is today, but the site is acting a lot like the old site. Slow loads and errors. And it isn't just me, anywhere you see a double post, it is likely a server error that caused it. My system will come back with "are you sure you want to leave this site?" and no matter which button I hit it will attempt a double post. If I do it immediately, it will say "60 seconds required between posts," but if I am multitasking and don't see it right away, it will double post.

Update: and just to top it off, it did it again on this post.

Rick
January 13th, 2013, 3:15 PM
I'll see what I can find out.

Rick
January 13th, 2013, 3:16 PM
Yes, it was very slow when I posted that.

Rick
January 13th, 2013, 3:16 PM
Super fast on that one...lol

siamcat
January 15th, 2013, 9:29 PM
I don't know what it is today, but the site is acting a lot like the old site. Slow loads and errors. And it isn't just me, anywhere you see a double post, it is likely a server error that caused it. My system will come back with "are you sure you want to leave this site?" and no matter which button I hit it will attempt a double post. If I do it immediately, it will say "60 seconds required between posts," but if I am multitasking and don't see it right away, it will double post.

I get that message too. I just click "yes I want to leave this page" and my post shows up. The few times it doesn't I refresh after 5 minutes and repost if it's not there. So far I only had a couple double posts.

Mestral
January 16th, 2013, 4:18 PM
Today at 4:16pm, I got a "database error," but it seemed to have posted normal.
Just thought you ought to know.

Rick
January 16th, 2013, 4:27 PM
I haven't had any issues. I think I'm going to shut it down and perform the upgrade.

Also, I haven't received any database error email. So I wonder where the problem is.

Night Owl
January 16th, 2013, 4:28 PM
In the code!:))

kantwin
January 16th, 2013, 5:39 PM
In the code!:))

Ya THINK? LOL

Night Owl
January 16th, 2013, 6:02 PM
Yes I do. I was trying to help Rick out since he asked.:)):))

sojourner truth
January 17th, 2013, 1:54 PM
It may just be me, but when I change pages, it takes about 30 seconds for the next page to load where I can scroll down. Also, I will get the "wait" and then "do you want to navigate away from this page" stuff on about 90% of my posts.

It's acting about the same way as the old system as far as I can see, and it was really good when it first got upgraded.

Rick
January 17th, 2013, 2:18 PM
When it happens, is it with the Quick Reply box?

I started on the upgrade last night, but it got too late to start messing with the database, not to mention, we had a good amount of users online, and I didn't want to kick them off. So hopefully tonight?

kantwin
January 17th, 2013, 2:28 PM
Is the adult jokes section no longer open?
I tried to get in there to post a joke but couldn't get past the prompt for password.

Rick
January 17th, 2013, 2:31 PM
No, it's open the password is listed in the description. It is "beer".

Ludwig
January 17th, 2013, 2:36 PM
When it happens, is it with the Quick Reply box?

Yes. When I click on that box to post a reply I get the query "Do you want to leave this page" and when I click "yes" it puts me on the next page and tells me that I have to wait 30 seconds to post another message. Thankfully, it does accept and post the originally intended posting. Just a minor bother. Thanks for all you do.

Rick
January 17th, 2013, 2:42 PM
I have turned off the "Advanced Quick Reply" option. The Quick Reply box is still here, it just has fewer options. We'll give that a shot.

kantwin
January 17th, 2013, 2:57 PM
No, it's open the password is listed in the description. It is "beer".

Yeah, I knew that. . .LOL

Rick
January 18th, 2013, 5:09 AM
I attempted the upgrade early this morning, backed up the database, and applied the upgrade. It all went well until I tried to go live and activate the "hooks" and it crashed. So I restored everything and will look into the reason it crashed.

sojourner truth
January 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Thanx Rick...It may just be me again, but the time lag when switching from page to page, or from new posts or forum to read a thread is about 20 seconds. It isn't 100% of the time, but pretty close to it.

Rick
January 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I haven't had those problems.

Has anyone had the "Are you sure you want to navigate..." popup since yesterday? I get it if I type something, then try to leave the page, but not when I just leave it.

sojourner truth
January 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I only get the "do you want to navigate" thing if I have written something. I still have a 20 second gap just going from page to page even if I don't write anything. Again it just may be my mega kludge computer. Never buy a Viao.

circle_c
January 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I have not in the last two days, and experience no delays today. hopping along good for me.

Night Owl
January 18th, 2013, 5:31 PM
I get it about 1 of 10.

siamcat
January 18th, 2013, 6:58 PM
I've gotten it twice today when typing a reply in the quick reply box. It's no big deal since I just hit "Yes, I want to leave." and my post shows up.
Speedwise I've had little problems. When it's lagging I just think it's my connection because it happens on other sites too.

siamcat
January 18th, 2013, 6:59 PM
And this time it posted without the message in seconds:).

Mestral
January 18th, 2013, 7:18 PM
I've gotten it twice today when typing a reply in the quick reply box. It's no big deal since I just hit "Yes, I want to leave." and my post shows up.
Speedwise I've had little problems. When it's lagging I just think it's my connection because it happens on other sites too.I get the same once in a while.

ClickaNerd
January 19th, 2013, 1:10 PM

It makes one wonder if web host providers give you max bandwidth until the wedding is over, then throttle bandwidth.

We use microsoft/bcentral/concentric.

Our servers are all cloud based, but depending on air temperature, the moons position in relation to the sun, and the number of hemorrhoids in the cloud managers bung hole that week, seems to determine the overall bandwidth and simultaneous TCPIP connections at any given moment.

Anyways, that has been my experience with hosting providers in the past 25 years.

Rick
January 19th, 2013, 1:12 PM
LOL, there is no wedding. I am on a month to month basis so if I am not pleased, I'll look elsewhere.

Mestral
January 19th, 2013, 3:49 PM
It makes one wonder if web host providers give you max bandwidth until the wedding is over, then throttle bandwidth.

We use microsoft/bcentral/concentric.

Our servers are all cloud based, but depending on air temperature, the moons position in relation to the sun, and the number of hemorrhoids in the cloud managers bung hole that week, seems to determine the overall bandwidth and simultaneous TCPIP connections at any given moment.

Anyways, that has been my experience with hosting providers in the past 25 years.
I know exactly what you mean, but it may be something outside the provider's control too. I notice, from time to time, that my other blog (which is so popular that sometimes I break out into two digits, base5, of readers) gets stormed with spam. And other times the storm dissipates. I would expect that sometimes providers get hit with something similar to a DDOS attack, and that would slow them down an awful lot.

Just a note, the base5 thing is a geek joke, but I don't know an emoticon to use for geek jokes.