PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain & Inversion Therapy Chairs

bbh
December 9th, 2012, 8:16 PM
Just wondered if any of you guys could give me some advice. For the past couple of years, my husband has had progressively worse problems with back pain. The diagnosis is arthritis in the spine and bone spurs (in retrospect, high school and college football were not such a great idea), which are pressing on a nerve. Surgery is dicey because the bone spurs are lying right against the nerve; the doctors say there is a great risk that with surgery, he could lose the use of his left arm. He has tried just about everything else. He has pain and numbness down his left arm and fingers, and now he also has pain down his leg. The best results (though temporary) have been "directed" cortisone injections where they go through the side of his neck and locate the nerve while viewing it on a CT Scan.

I've heard that some people have had relief from inversion therapy chairs. Have any of you had experience with a particular brand?

Thanks.

Rick
December 9th, 2012, 9:05 PM
I don't think it'll hurt to try it. If faced with a risky surgery, or trying one of those, it's a no brainer.

I hope he feels better soon.

sojourner truth
December 9th, 2012, 9:14 PM
I've got degenerative bone disease of the lower spine, and had the MRI's, steroids, and meds. The only thing that helped was an RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) Where they burn the nerves sending the signal to the brain. For my C5 (Upper spine) discs, the Steroids worked the first time. The L5/S1 discs (lower spine) were a different story. Only RFA had any affect. I went to a TENS unit (electro shock pads) that work pretty well with the Ultram meds. It isn't a 100% solution, but I can live with what pain I have. At least I can sleep at night, which I hadn't done in 5 years.

I am considering that fancy swing that you see on TV where you can flip yourself upside down, but I am a bit leary of any such results that the ads say they get. If you dont have discs left, like me, straightening the spine may just do the trick. He may want to actually see a Chiropractor.. I haven't because I'm a skeptic, but many friends of mine swear by them.

Good luck...I know what he's going through. I'll be praying for jim.

bbh
December 9th, 2012, 9:23 PM
We're chiropractor skeptics as well, ST, but he's to the point where he's ready to try almost anything. He's had fairly good temporary relief from the injections, but you can only have those so often. And to complicate things, he had a bleeding ulcer last fall from all the NSAIDS, so he can't take so much as an aspirin....ever again. They fitted him with a home traction unit which he uses morning and night; it helps some.

He's always been a strong rock. I can't stand to see him in so much pain.

I ordered one of the chairs a few minutes ago. We'll see.

Rick
December 9th, 2012, 9:26 PM
Good luck! You can try it too.

I want pictures! :))

bbh
December 9th, 2012, 9:48 PM
:)) Not a chance!!!!!

I'll try it, but if I showed you the pictures.....I'd have to kill ya.

(Wait a minute.....the chair could have other benefits. Maybe if I reverse the gravity, I could take my face back to 1980??? Yahoo!!!!!)

siamcat
December 9th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Good luck and I hope it helps him.

I've had backproblems since childhood, but it's minor compared to this. A couple of motrin and I'm good.

circle_c
December 10th, 2012, 5:52 AM
Has he tried acupuncture. It helped my wife After about a month (2 time per week) of treatments. at S&W.
She took then for about one and a half years and then all of a sudden didn't help so much any more. She felt great for one and a half years.. I dont know if S&W still does it or not, this was about 5 years or so ago. Somehow they charged my medicare & Tricare4Life. I think it was on a trial basis at S&W at that time, so I don't know if they still do it or not. Bottom line is it does work in some instances.So, may want to think about it and check around. Hope you find a a treatment It's like living in hell. Wife still using tens units daily, but not much help after she quits...

sojourner truth
December 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Dang, I never thought about gravity issues being solved. Maybe I will get one and let Mrs. Truth work on her bustline a little. Not a bad idea when yer "pointers" turn into "setters".:))

"course, if she ever sees this, I'm dead meat.

Rick
December 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Be careful, she might turn you upside down hoping for the same kind of result! :bluerofl

Mestral
December 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
We're chiropractor skeptics as well, ST, but he's to the point where he's ready to try almost anything. He's had fairly good temporary relief from the injections, but you can only have those so often. And to complicate things, he had a bleeding ulcer last fall from all the NSAIDS, so he can't take so much as an aspirin....ever again. They fitted him with a home traction unit which he uses morning and night; it helps some.

He's always been a strong rock. I can't stand to see him in so much pain.

I ordered one of the chairs a few minutes ago. We'll see.

I hope it works. I am also a chiropractor skeptic, but I do a set of stretching exercises that work in a manner similar to spinal stretching (or decompression) devises. I wish I could say I do them religiously, as they help me a lot, but I get lax. The traction works in a similar way also. I think consistent use should help, since you said the home traction unit helps some. Keep after it, as I understand these things, they are more managed than cured, so don't give up too easily.

IronErnin
December 10th, 2012, 1:38 PM
The one consideration to Inversion therapy is acid reflux disease. If you have that you'll not want to try it.
Another thing, many modern meds have HCl appended to them. These have a hydrochloric acid base to make them easier to digest to quickly spread their benefit throughou the body.

sojourner truth
December 10th, 2012, 2:13 PM
The one consideration to Inversion therapy is acid reflux disease. If you have that you'll not want to try it.
Another thing, many modern meds have HCl appended to them. These have a hydrochloric acid base to make them easier to digest to quickly spread their benefit throughou the body.

Never thought of that aspect. I have major acid reflux problems.

I'm curious as to what type of meds he's on for pain. I can't use Ibuprofin based pain killers because they are liver killers as well, and refuse to take the "contin and codone" based drugs thay always want to push on you. I am currently using Ultram (Tramadol) which is a non narcotic pain reliever and it works great. Non addictive, doesn't goof your brain up (I can already hear the gears clicking here) and most doctors don't have a problem prescribing it.

I am very leary of medicines that are codeine based, as that was what they gave me for my wounds many years ago, and I didn't take well to them. Between the Ultram and the TENS unit, my life is bearable again.

bbh
December 10th, 2012, 9:55 PM
Tramadol is the only thing he can take. It helps some....mostly just takes a little of the edge off.

Scarlett
December 11th, 2012, 7:58 PM
My back is one hot mess too. I've been almost high on tramadol and muscle relaxers all week. My students are happy... I can't get mad when I take these things.

Supergirl
December 11th, 2012, 8:14 PM
I just had the RFA done for the first time last week... I am pretty amazed at my decreased pain... I want to go run!... I've had cortisone, steroids, tens units... every drug imaginable but right now, I'm sitting here with no real pain for the first time in about 3 years.

Supergirl
December 11th, 2012, 8:15 PM
Never thought of that aspect. I have major acid reflux problems.

I'm curious as to what type of meds he's on for pain. I can't use Ibuprofin based pain killers because they are liver killers as well, and refuse to take the "contin and codone" based drugs thay always want to push on you. I am currently using Ultram (Tramadol) which is a non narcotic pain reliever and it works great. Non addictive, doesn't goof your brain up (I can already hear the gears clicking here) and most doctors don't have a problem prescribing it.

I am very leary of medicines that are codeine based, as that was what they gave me for my wounds many years ago, and I didn't take well to them. Between the Ultram and the TENS unit, my life is bearable again.

I did take Tramadol for about a year... it worked well but I developed some type of allergy to it and it made me sick after that... :(

sojourner truth
December 11th, 2012, 8:25 PM
Tramadol is about the only thing I can tolerate, but gets less effective over time. The RFA lasts about one to 3 years, if done in the right place. Mine was done 2 years ago, and the nerve is starting to grow back. Steroids help what the RFA doesn't, but you have to stop taking them after a while. I have type 2 diabetes, and steroids spikes the sugar levels off the charts, so I had to go with TENS and meds until the RFA wears off and I have to get another one.

It does wonders thought, doesn't it. I hadn't slept for longer than an hour in over 5 years, and now I can sleep almost every night with little pain. I still have days, but not that often any more. I'm fine on my feet, but once I lay down and the spine decompresses, forget it.

Don't go running though...stick to low impact such as a tread mill. I ran 5 to 10 miles every day, and that's what messed my back up in the first place.

I just wish bbh's hubby could get some relief. Only those of us who have to live with back pain know how really miserable life can be when you have a pain and no relief.

Supergirl
December 11th, 2012, 8:33 PM
Yeah... I understand... I want to run but know that it what caused my problem to begin with. I do miss it... but know better now...My body needs variety. The elliptical has become my friend.

bbh
December 11th, 2012, 9:07 PM
I really appreciate all the advice and information from you guys. The RFA is new to me....don't know much about it, but we'll look into it. After his next injection, he is having another workup done by the back doctor, and we'll check into all avenues. He's always been a rock. I just can't stand to see him suffer. You guys have been great!

(Sorry you are hurting, Scarlett. Take care.)

siamcat
December 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I can't tolerate anything more then 800mg motrin. Some of the new pain meds don't work at all and the strong ones mess me up.
I do the "cat" stretches to help when it's all in knots.

While my pain is minor compared to some of you I know how it feels to wake up with back pain in the morning and go to bed with it.

Best of luck to all of you.

Scarlett
December 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I can't tolerate anything more then 800mg motrin. Some of the new pain meds don't work at all and the strong ones mess me up.

That's what I miss most about being married... The army candy. That stuff is handed out for EVERYTHING... I hate not having that anymore. Works great.

sojourner truth
December 12th, 2012, 9:20 AM
bbh...In an RFA, what the doc will do is locate a major nerve that is the culprit, and then inject an electrode or 2 (I had 3 electrodes) in the nerve closest to the vicinity of the problem disc. Same sort of needle as the steroid injections. The radio frequency acts sort of like a microwave and burns the nerve away. It feels like someone is putting a cigarette outon your back for a few seconds, but bearable. They have to be careful not to get the major nerve, as that would completely numb the leg. Believe me, There were times I would have been willing to drag a numb leg around for a few years just to get a decent nights sleep.

The result is that the biggest pain will be reduced to a faint occaisional representation of its former self, and the smaller offshoot pains from the nerves that send pain down to the legs and toes will be completely gone.

Good luck.

Supergirl
December 12th, 2012, 8:06 PM
Quick follow up.. Had the RFA for the first time last Wednesday... The 'soreness' of them sticking needles in my back has worn off. I am so impressed with this... I seriously am almost in tears because this is the first time in about 3 years that I can say my pain level at the worst is about a 2 out of 10.

sojourner truth
December 12th, 2012, 9:08 PM
The nerve should be gone for about a year or 2. The meds and the TENS unit help a lot to keep the pain level bearable. The meds take the edge off, and the TENS unit is for the days where the meds don't handle it.

TENS unit supplies are outrageously expensive. My pain levels went to zero while standing and about 2 to 3 when sleeping. Bending over is a different story. I think my nerve is starting to grow back.

Something about the spine decompressing while on my back. A real pain in the,,,,,,well, you know.

corgifan
December 14th, 2012, 9:58 AM
From what I've read inversion can cause temporary short term relief from chronic back pain, but there is no scientific evidence that it works long term. However, as a person who has dealt with back pain in the past, even short term relief would be enough for me! I've found that weight loss and exercise have put a stop to my back pain, but not everyone is in a situation where they can exercise. So any treatment that eases the pain needs to be explored.

From Mayo Clinic: "A potential problem with inversion therapy is that it may significantly increase blood pressure in your head. For this reason, you should not try inversion therapy if you have heart disease, high blood pressure or eye diseases, such as glaucoma, or if you are pregnant."

sojourner truth
December 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanx for that tip...I was getting ready to buy one, but have high blood pressure as well. I will stick with my 2 hours of treadmill time and soup and salad diet.

I do miss my running time though...sigh.

The Torii Fox
December 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I've had a teeter hangups inversion chair for about 6 months. I can say it helped my back for a while (meaning a few hours of relief at most, per use), but it might not be for heavier folks or folks with soft tissue knee, hip, or ankle issues. I stopped using it after about 3 months, my tens machine yielded better results for a longer period. Even at 50-60 degrees of inversion it is very painful for my ankles since my weight is suspended from them. The less the version the less pain, but maybe the less overall back benefit too. The one I bought from Dicks in Heights I had to assemble. It is sturdy for me (at 255 pounds), looks flimsier than it feels. There are no plastic covers for the folding metal hinges, and I worry about my kids getting pinched in it sometimes. I paid $300 or so for mine and you have to flip upside down and right side up by yourself. This sucks if you have weak or injured abs, are not real flexible, have vertigo, or want to impatiently try it out by yourself in a cramped room after having just assembled the one you bought from Dicks in Heights. I almost launched a toolbox through a wall and felt like a human trebuchet when ,y feet kicked up faster than I expected. I saw some online for over a thousand dollars that are motorized. I'd personally like to sell mine, but you'd need a small truck or maybe suv to transport it. Hope this information helps.

I'm still trying to get my back diagnosed but unofficially I have been told it is probably psiatica. X-rays showed nothing, next step is an MRI. I was curious about the injections too. I'm a little desperate for pain relief, haven't been able to exercise much for almost a year.

sojourner truth
December 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
The MRI will tell the story. Sciatica usually is when one or more discs lose cartilage between them. The disc can't hold itself in place and then the bone is displaced and pinches a nerve.

Mine went all the way down from my left lower butt, to the inside of the left knee, and then down the left leg all the way to the left big toe.

The steroids helped the lower back pain, but the RFA stopped everything that went down the leg. The TENS unit will keep me pain free for an entire night if I wear it for a few hours before bed time. The mistake mopst people make is only wearing it for a half hour or so.

Your MRI will tell the doc what is wrong. When you see it, it will become clear what is happening. It also helps the Ortho doc know where to inject. When he lays you on the table and xrays you prior to injecting the spine, he knows just about exactly where to put the goods.

Good luck.

The Torii Fox
December 15th, 2012, 2:50 PM
That's my experience with the tens unit too. I wear it for hours. Then the pain is minimal for a day or so. Ibuprofen 600mg and the tens help me manage things with almost no activity. I found good deals on the electrode pads on amazon too. $10-$20 for packs of 20-40.

sojourner truth
December 15th, 2012, 5:26 PM
OOOOOH? Amazon huh...I need to see if I can find that. The EMPI folks charge like $600 for a 20 pack. Please tell me more.

bbh
December 15th, 2012, 5:31 PM
Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

The chair that we bought is supposed to be easier on the body than inversion tables. We may have wasted our $$$, but we were desperate. If my husband could take Ibuprofen, etc., it wouldn't be so bad, but he can't because of the prior issues with a bleeding hole in his stomach that NSAIDS caused.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Mark-IV18600-Inversion-Therapy/dp/B000BNKYB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355614100&sr=8-2&keywords=inversion+chair+for+back+pain

This is the one we bought. It was delivered Thursday, but we haven't had the time to put it together yet. Will try to do so tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you guys know what we think about it.

sojourner truth
December 15th, 2012, 6:24 PM
Wow...Pretty neat. I also checked out those TENS electrode pads on Amazon, and they are about 1/100th the price EMPI has been ripping me off for. I owe TF a brew. Shoot, a six pack. (Off duty of course bro).

The Torii Fox
December 15th, 2012, 7:04 PM
I was in the same boat with NSAIDs because of my diabetes. Between that and work I couldn't take more than OTC Tylenol. I guess my doc changed her mind because I am now allowed nearly ranger candy strength ibuprofen and it helps some. Lol ST I'm glad to help. My experience with the cheapo electrodes are that they are REALLY sticky, and start to deform just a little after repeated use, long before the adhesive wears off. I've only gone through about two sets in the last couple months. Otherwise they seem to work just like the set that came with the machine. My machine was issued by the VA but retails for about $20 or so online, much more versatile than some I've looked at. My wife swears by the occasional deep tissue massage and she has a spinal injury courtesy of OIF, but I'm dubious about the benefit for sciatica.

sojourner truth
December 15th, 2012, 8:35 PM
Those electrodes don't sound any dfferent than the expensive ones i've been getting. They last about 5 to 10 uses.

The machine S and W issued me cost over $400, and the pads are outrageously expensive. From the prices I saw on Amazon, I could buy a thousand for what EMPI is charging me for 40.

Thanx for the tip.

Mestral
December 17th, 2012, 5:53 PM
Well, as long as this conversation has lots of people with experience:

My pain isn't as bad as most of you, so I can block that out mentally and just deal with it.

What I have a little trouble with is that sometimes when the nerve pinches, the muscles in my leg contract just as though I were telling them to, and at other times some parts of my leg just loose sensation (I say they "go missing"). Which of these treatments might be the best for those symptoms?

sojourner truth
December 17th, 2012, 9:00 PM
Those don't sound like sciatica. I have never lost sensation in a leg, darn it, and the twitching nerves thing is a new one on me.

Night Owl
December 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM
My wife has had two back/neck surgeries and they were about 20 years apart. Having back surgery made it so she was able to walk with no pain. The docs have you and walking the day after surgery and out in less than a week. DO NOT use Metroplex.

Mestral
December 18th, 2012, 2:50 AM
Those don't sound like sciatica. I have never lost sensation in a leg, darn it, and the twitching nerves thing is a new one on me.Yeah, its sciatica. I've had it for 30 years. In me it affects both the sensory and motor control. The sensory nerve has begun to atrophy, and what I fear is if the motor control does the same.

The Torii Fox
December 18th, 2012, 9:02 AM
Funny nerve story: I was using the tens unit for the first time in a while and had it over the lower right side of my back. Of course, as a guy, I was messing with the dials on the thing, And cranking the settings up. I must have hit a perfect frequency or something because I felt a sudden jolt go from the electrode pads all the way down to my right knee, and quite without my permission my right leg just straightened itself out. Almost spilled my beer. The moral of course is "don't rest a beer on your leg when playing with electricity".