PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Watch

olderthandirt
November 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Kinda hard to not get excited about Johnny Manziel's progress, but this kid is truly amazing! Could it be that another Texas kid could be on top this year?!?

xzochye
November 19th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Ever notice the resemblance? He looks a lot like Brick from the show The Middle. 30893090

CenTexDave
November 20th, 2012, 5:43 AM
Right now I think it's Manziel's to lose. Colin Klein, KSU QB, had his chances dim after Baylor blew them out. Same with Oregon's QB. Ohio State's QB Miller hasn't put up the numbers he was earlier in the season.
The only one who should give him a challenge right now is that linebacker from Notre Dame (forget his name). But history is on a QB's side, not a defensive player.

cnjbond
November 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately he's a freshman so history may not be on his side but hey, if he finishes out the season with a couple stellar performances, he just might win it.

CenTexDave
November 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Tebow won it as a soph. Colin Klein about killed his chances against Baylor, so unless he comes back with a couple of 300 yard passing days and runs in about 6 TD's I think he's out of it. Same with Braxton Miller of Ohio State, plus they can't go to any bowl, and the Oregon QB and RB combo against Stanford.
The only competition for him is Notre Dame's linebacker, and history is against a defensive player.

xzochye
November 20th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Tebow won it as a soph. Colin Klein about killed his chances against Baylor, so unless he comes back with a couple of 300 yard passing days and runs in about 6 TD's I think he's out of it. Same with Braxton Miller of Ohio State, plus they can't go to any bowl, and the Oregon QB and RB combo against Stanford.
The only competition for him is Notre Dame's linebacker, and history is against a defensive player.

Didn't Klein break some kind of record Saturday night? That has to count for something.

CenTexDave
November 20th, 2012, 3:46 PM
Yeah, probably sacks by an opposing defense. :))

xzochye
November 20th, 2012, 4:03 PM
Hahaha

corgifan
November 21st, 2012, 6:47 AM
Manziel is a lukewarm candidate in the weakest field in memory. I don't see all the fuss, other than he's a Texas product.

CenTexDave
November 21st, 2012, 8:59 AM
Have you watched an A&M game?
The fuss is he's a freshman. Unusual for a freshman to even start at QB, much less be effective. He's better than Braxton Miller was as a freshman, better than RG3 was as a freshman. He's what makes A&M go. With all these other "candidates" falling on their butts the last couple of weeks, he's the favorite for sure. I don't care if he plays for A&M or for Slippery Rock State, if he's from Texas or from Bumf__k, Egypt, the kid is good.

corgifan
November 21st, 2012, 2:46 PM
Yes, I have watched A&M games. I didn't say he wasn't good. He just isn't great, yet. Take away the games against the speed bump teams and his stats are decent, workmanlike, and productive. Keep it up, continue developing, and he'll have a future. But thanks to the lack of a superstar in the college ranks this year he has as good a chance as anyone. Put him back even one year and he'd be lucky to be invited to NY.

cnjbond
November 21st, 2012, 3:25 PM
Yes, I have watched A&M games. I didn't say he wasn't good. He just isn't great, yet. Take away the games against the speed bump teams and his stats are decent, workmanlike, and productive. Keep it up, continue developing, and he'll have a future. But thanks to the lack of a superstar in the college ranks this year he has as good a chance as anyone. Put him back even one year and he'd be lucky to be invited to NY.

253 yards passing, 92 yards rushing, 2 TDs, 0 INTs...against Alabama is workmanlike? Get out of here, you're crazy!!!

corgifan
November 21st, 2012, 11:38 PM
Blinded by loyalty! He's good, but not great yet.

xzochye
November 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quit blowing hot air and post some numbers on here that are better than his.

cnjbond
November 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Not blinded at all, he had one bad game against LSU and they still almost won it. I think it's gonna be hard for him to win the Heisman because of his Freshmen status but if you go off of stats alone, then the kid should win it. He's already breaking SEC records in his first year at the helm...BTW, there were some pretty good QBs that came out of the SEC.

corgifan
November 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Quit blowing hot air and post some numbers on here that are better than his.
I must not be making myself clear! THIS YEAR he has a good chance because of consistent, good numbers. I'm not denying that. All of the other contenders (and preseason favorites) have dropped because of more than one dismal performance in big games and not such big games. If he wins, great for the Maroon and White! The fact remains that he wouldn't have stood a chance in past years when there were clear superstars with eye popping numbers.

cnjbond
November 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
I must not be making myself clear! THIS YEAR he has a good chance because of consistent, good numbers. I'm not denying that. All of the other contenders (and preseason favorites) have dropped because of more than one dismal performance in big games and not such big games. If he wins, great for the Maroon and White! The fact remains that he wouldn't have stood a chance in past years when there were clear superstars with eye popping numbers.
I agree with that. There was definitely stiffer competition last year with RGIII and Andrew Luck in the mix but he still would've garnered as much attention as he his now, especially after the game he had against Alabama.

cnjbond
November 24th, 2012, 7:44 PM
The first half alone should be enough to lock up the Heisman for Johnny Football, this kid is RIDICULOUS!!!!

siamcat
November 24th, 2012, 7:50 PM
The first half alone should be enough to lock up the Heisman for Johnny Football, this kid is RIDICULOUS!!!!

Just imagine what he's going to be like in a few years.

CenTexDave
November 24th, 2012, 8:17 PM
I just wonder how Texas let this kid get away. Mack Brown is starting to slowly slide down the coaching slide as an elite coach. He's fortunate A&M left the Big 12 - their annual Thanksgiving game would have been a true mismatch this year.

siamcat
November 24th, 2012, 9:08 PM
All I can say is good for A&M.8-;

corgifan
November 24th, 2012, 9:27 PM
I agree he's locked it up, but the voters can be funny. A&M will have a fine quarterback for few more years. Will he leave after his junior year?

CenTexDave
November 24th, 2012, 9:32 PM
He's not big enough to play QB in the NFL. Might be a good WR though.

cnjbond
November 24th, 2012, 9:56 PM
He's not big enough to play QB in the NFL. Might be a good WR though.
I don't know, that's the same thing they said about Flutie, Brees and Vick.

CenTexDave
November 25th, 2012, 8:14 AM
True. But he's not a pocket passer. Neither is Vick and look at him now - totally beaten up.
But I agree - after last night if he doesn't get the Heisman someone should blow the New York Athletic Club up!! :))

cnjbond
November 25th, 2012, 8:50 AM
True. But he's not a pocket passer. Neither is Vick and look at him now - totally beaten up.
But I agree - after last night if he doesn't get the Heisman someone should blow the New York Athletic Club up!! :))
I forgot to add Steve Young to that list...the perfect hybrid QB!
The Sportscenter guys were talking about those voters who absolutely REFUSE to vote for a Freshmen for the Heisman on principal alone...I hope there's not too many of them.

CenTexDave
November 25th, 2012, 8:55 AM
I don't see how he could not win it if they base it on results as they are supposed to.
Oregon's QB has put up eye popping numbers also, but this kid has captured everyone's awe. Without him they would only be an average team.

siamcat
November 25th, 2012, 9:38 PM
Well according to this Manziell is ahead in total points ( whatever they are).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman12/

The next person is a senior from Notre Dame.

So I guess the question is will they seriously consider a Freshman or will Manziell lose out because of that.
If the reason is that he's a freshman it seems silly to me. I thought it was for the best player, not what year he's in at college.

cnjbond
November 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Pretty much everyone in the Nation believes that Johnny Football should win it, but it'll come down to the voters. Hopefully there aren't enough of those anti-Freshmen voters out there to effect the results.

olderthandirt
November 26th, 2012, 6:37 AM
When he got hurt on Saturday, you could hear a pin drop echo throughout Kyle Field. Then a slow chant of "Johnny, Johnny" started and became deafening -- same for when he returned after a few plays. He slowed down his movements, but he still managed to put in some incredible yards. He's one of those scary "don't get yourself hurt" players you find yourself holding your breath every time he gets the ball!

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
CBS Sports is predicting he will win it. Of course understand CBS broadcasts all the SEC games.
But I agree - he should be a lock to win the thing. Over 4600 yards of total offense.
And on the evening of December 8, at the New York Athletic Club, when they announce Johnny Football as the winner that will give the State of Texas two in a row. Incredible.
Would be nice to see A&M in a BCS bowl game, but don't think that will happen. Only two teams from each conference can be in a BCS bowl. Alabama or Georgia will go to the BCS Championship Game. Will the loser get the other BCS slot, or will 11-1 Florida get it?
A&M deserves it. Would love to watch A&M and Oregon in a bowl game.

cnjbond
November 26th, 2012, 4:38 PM
Hopefully they'll be there next year. I'm still hoping for a UT vs A&M Cotton bowl matchup!

xzochye
November 26th, 2012, 5:40 PM
Hopefully they'll be there next year. I'm still hoping for a UT vs A&M Cotton bowl matchup!

All the predictions I have seen have UT at the Alamo Bowl. That really sucks since my son and I both HATE UT!

CenTexDave
November 26th, 2012, 6:05 PM
After UT loses to K-State on Saturday they will be lucky to get the Toilet Bowl. :))

xzochye
November 26th, 2012, 6:07 PM
After UT loses to K-State on Saturday they will be lucky to get the Toilet Bowl. :))

SInce Baylor is now bowl eligible I wish they would be the ones at the Alamo Bowl but I doubt that. I just hope at least 1 team is someone my son likes.

cnjbond
November 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Very nice, very nice!!!

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm all for him winning the Heisman. He certainly deserves it.
Of course next year everyone will expect him to throw for 5,000 yards, rush for 3,000 yards and win every award known to mankind.

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
SInce Baylor is now bowl eligible I wish they would be the ones at the Alamo Bowl but I doubt that. I just hope at least 1 team is someone my son likes.

I think you will get a Texas team - UT, Tech or Baylor. Probably an opponent from the Pac-12 like Oregon State or UCLA (sorry, can't see UCLA beating Stanford this coming Saturday for the PAC-12 Championship).

xzochye
November 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think you will get a Texas team - UT, Tech or Baylor. Probably an opponent from the Pac-12 like Oregon State or UCLA (sorry, can't see UCLA beating Stanford this coming Saturday for the PAC-12 Championship).

WE HATE UT!!! But like you guys said it's about the experience right? I don't think Tech will go with them losing the last 2 games. I have seen them projected for the Meinicke (sp) Bowl in Houston which I didn't know existed. My son would like to see TCU, UCLA and USC. I know the 1st 2 have a chance.

If tech goes to Houston I might try to sell my Alamo Bowl tickets and go to the game. Guess we have to wait until Sunday to find out.

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2012, 2:53 PM
It could be worse.
You could be an Ohio State fan like me and waiting for their bowl bid. :))

cnjbond
November 27th, 2012, 4:18 PM
It could be worse.
You could be an Ohio State fan like me and waiting for their bowl bid. :))
Almost a waste of an undefeated season...

CenTexDave
November 27th, 2012, 5:56 PM
It was. But wait until next year when Urban Meyer gets his own recruits.

CenTexDave
November 28th, 2012, 3:49 PM
Just read Manziel is also a finalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award. The other four are KSU QB Klein, ND Linebacker Manti xxxx(whatever the hell his name is), USC WR Marquise Lee and Oregon's RB.