PDA

View Full Version : Heartworm Treatment

tlq0726
September 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
There is a sweet, sweet dog at the Harker Heights shelter who is unfortunately heartworm positive. I'm trying to find a rescue for her, but in the mean time... does anyone know of a vet clinic that offers low cost or FREE heartworm treatment for shelter pups?

Ludwig
September 6th, 2012, 3:38 PM
There is a sweet, sweet dog at the Harker Heights shelter who is unfortunately heartworm positive. I'm trying to find a rescue for her, but in the mean time... does anyone know of a vet clinic that offers low cost or FREE heartworm treatment for shelter pups?

Aztec has been most generous in the past, giving huge discounts or providing treatments gratis for "pound puppies". It certainly would would not hurt to ask them.

spedkiddos
September 8th, 2012, 5:05 PM
Try to contact Animal Trustees of Austin. I took my 160 pound dog there for a spay, gastropexy and umbilical hernia surgery, it was about 1/2 as much as the other quotes I received. I was VERY happy with them there. I know they have heart worm services. http://animaltrustees.org/services/heartworm

tlq0726
September 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I contacted Aztec today, now I'm just waiting to hear back. I'll try Animal Trustees if there's nothing Aztec can do to help.

macs
September 12th, 2012, 8:50 PM
I have seen dogs get rid of heartworm by the "slow kill" method. It takes much longer but all you have to do is administer monthly heartworm prevention and it can do the trick!

tlq0726
September 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Update: I got her registered with a small dog rescue in Austin, and they are treating her heartworms!!! She's living with me until she's all better :)

macs
October 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Did you get the fast kill done. Shots? How did that go? New home yet?

tlq0726
October 17th, 2012, 3:32 PM
We are doing the fast kill. It's a series of three shots, and she had the first one last week. She's been doing great so far. She goes back next month for the next two shots, and she can't be put up for adoption until she's given the all clear.

macs
October 19th, 2012, 3:34 PM
I see. Glad to hear someone stepped up and helped! My foster dog had heartworm treatment 6 weeks ago and he is doing great, too. He got to go on his first walk yesterday! He loved it, but now we have to learn leash manners!

Grammar Rules
October 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM
My dogs have been on Trifexis for months, and they were on one of the other monthly heart worm pills since puppyhood.

The tablets are vile-smelling things, and apparently the taste is equally disgusting. I go through grief every month trying to disguise them in some yummy treat in order to get them down. Today they got the last tablets in the box.

There's a heart worm vaccination available now, isn't there? Has anyone had experience with it? I don't see how it could be more expensive than the pills, and I'd pay that much or more not to have to deal with the tablets anymore. My vet's office doesn't give the vaccination, but I'm willing to take mine elsewhere.

macs
November 8th, 2012, 9:21 AM
I forget which brand my dogs are on. The bigger ones always do the chewables which protect against different worms and things too and they seem to like and take it like it is a treat, but my small dog is on a pill because he won't chew the treat looking things. I hide his in a small ball of raw hamburger which he loves. He's 10 years old now and it hasn't hurt him yet.

engteach64
November 23rd, 2012, 8:00 PM
I got my Flash from the adopt a pet program on Fort Drum in NY. My husband said to get rid of him after he went on a rampage one day. I didn't want to, but told the vet what happened, and that we needed to find him a new home. They informed me that he had heart worms, and would be put down if I returned him (sympathy??). I kept him. The vet treated him for free since I volunteered there. This was 6 years ago. Flash has been heartworm negative for the past 6 years, calmed way down, and is healthy as a horse.

Flash got the shots. After treatement the vet said three months of no running etc. Umm, Flash is a beagle, running, etc. is what he does. We kept him still for a month, then just prayed that he would be fine. He was, and again, is healthy as a horse. He is the most loving and happy dog a person could love. :)

We have also given our dogs heartworm pills from day one. Every month my dogs get their chewable heartworm treat. They love them, and they come out negative for heartworms every year. ;)